Fall TV Preview

The Michael J. Fox Show Adds Candice Bergen, Charles Grodin as Mike's Parents

Michael J Fox Show CAst Grodin BergenMichael J. Fox has landed himself another set of standout TV parents.

Murphy Brown vet Candice Bergen and Beethoven patriarch Charles Grodin have boarded NBC’s new fall comedy The Michael J. Fox, Deadline reports. They’ll guest-star (and potentially recur) as the titular character’s mom and dad, respectively.

The duo follow in the footsteps of Fox’s much-beloved Family Ties folks Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross.

RELATED | The Michael. J. Fox Show — NBC Comedy to Find Humor In Parkinson’s

Inspired by the leading man’s real life, The Michael J. Fox Show centers on a New York-based husband and father (Fox), who returns to his career as a newsanchor after having retired due to his Parkinson’s Disease diagnosis.

Bergen’s more recent TV credits include House, Boston Legal and the short-lived Law & Order: Trial by Jury. Grodin, meanwhile, appeared in a 2012 episode of Law & Order: SVU, following a lengthy on-screen hiatus. (The funnyman previously hosted The Charles Grodin Show on CNBC and served as a political commentator for 60 Minutes II in 2000.)

Comments (21)

• This is epic casting. I must watch now.

Comment by knd – September 7, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show wasn’t even on my radar but I ADORE Candice Bergen. Might have to check it out.

Comment by Jennifer Rea – September 7, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting though. NBC should have a huge hit in The Michael J. Fox Show and it does have potential. Best new sitcom of the season in my opinion.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – September 7, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is amazing casting. I was super excited for this show, and now even more so.

Comment by Eric – September 7, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grodin needs a gang of dental work.

Comment by Paris – September 7, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, no fair. Stack the deck in your favor a little more, why dont you?

Now I have to watch the show. Love, love love, Candice Bergen..

Comment by Dee – September 7, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there anyone I love as much as Michael J Fox? Oh, right, Candice Bergen.

Comment by murley – September 7, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING. I adore Candice Bergen. Can’t wait.

Comment by Dani – September 7, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing casting! Though I wonder whether they’ll address the fact that the two are only 15 years apart in real life (if my math is correct), which would’ve made her a very young mother, or if they’ll age his character down/her character up a bit.

Comment by Rob – September 7, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first question, what about the age difference? I think that Michael’s always been very boyish even though we know darn well he’s not Marty McFly aged anymore. There’ve been many situations where actors are not too far apart, sometimes almost the same age, and one is playing the other’s mother. Gotta love weird Hollywood practices like that. Love Candice. I’m sure she’ll be fantastic.

Comment by scooby – September 7, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, he’s married to Betsy Brandt. I think he’s supposed to be playing a guy younger than he is in real life.

Comment by Zach – September 7, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super casting news – we will be watching!

Comment by Susan – September 7, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now they just need William Shatner as the wacky weatherman.

Comment by Mark – September 7, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg yes!

Comment by liz – September 7, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess that would work if the show was written by David E Kelly. ;) But yeah, it would be so much fun if it happens.

Comment by Dani – September 7, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa. George Newton got old.

Comment by rebecca – September 7, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s not old enough to play Fox’s mom!!!!!!

Comment by JT – September 7, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fantastic cast! I was going to watch it because of Michael J. Fox, but with the addition of Candice Bergen and Charles Grodin I really want to see it. I just hope the writers do this stellar cast justice.

Comment by Truefan – September 7, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here they are almost 40 years ago

Comment by Hermit – September 8, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve gotta tell Mac. He will be super stoked about this casting news.

Comment by Dennis – September 8, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome. Murphy Brown. Now I’m looking forward to this show even more.

Comment by Jenna – September 8, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post