TV's Latest Wizard of Oz Project, Heroes Team's Dorothy Must Die, Lands at The CW

Dorothy Must DieTraffic report for the Yellow Brick Road: congested, and getting heavier.

The CW is in talks for a drama pilot based on The Wizard of Oz, the fourth project of its ilk in recent development.

RELATEDOnce Upon a Time Bosses: TV’s Other Wizard of Oz Projects Won’t Rush Our Own Plan for Dorothy

As our sister site Deadline reports, the latest reimagining of the classic tale comes from Heroes creator TIm Kring and EPs Adam Armus and Norma Kay Foster and is based on author Danielle Paige’s forthcoming novel Dorothy Must Die.

In the young adult tale, the ruby-slippered one has become the fascist ruler of Oz and is threatened by the arrival of another Kansas teen who becomes the head of an underground resistance movement.

Among the other newly made friends of Dorothy: Syfy’s post-apocalyptic Warriors of Oz miniseries, CBS’ Dorothy medical drama and NBC’s darkly epic Emerald City.

1. I only care about Warriors and City.

2. taran63 says:

What is with all these Wizard of Oz adaptations?

Neither the book nor the original movie was all that good.

• Jamie says:

…that’s an unpopular opinion you have there.

• Kate M. says:

I believe the original source material is now in the public domain, which is why it’s an adaptation free-for-all. The film, I think, is still copyrighted, so these new adaptations might not be able to use details unique to the 1939 picture, like the ruby slippers.

• ej says:

Would that be why on OUAT, Jefferson says he was unable to get the ruby slippers? An in-joke about copyright? If so, rather clever! I don’t know about all of these adaptations, though.They sound very different from the source material. I am glad that OUAT, at least, is holding off jumping in the deep end with these other projects. Wonderland is probably over-stepping as it is.

As to WoZ haters, to each their own. But if not for the dream sequence, then how would Gary Larson have ended his “The Far Side” comic run? That was genius right there!

• Cory says:

THANK YOU. I don’t get what’s so great about the movie. I first saw it when I was like 7, thought it was just okay, by age 9 I would always say no to watching it, and then a few years ago when I finally DID I said it was probably the most overrated movie of all time. It’s just…lame. And the dream aspect…even lamer. It might be considered a classic but that doesn’t make it good.

• JCK says:

The character studies alone make the 1939 film worth watching. Haven’t we all met and interacted with the types portrayed by the lion, scarecrow, tin man, Miss Gulch etc? And we’ve figured out ways to play to their strengths and help compensate for their particular shortcomings. it’s a brilliant film for grade school kids to learn from, and even for older ones with poor social skills. JMO

• jake says:

return to oz is really really good, tick tock and jack pumpkinhead was cool

3. Nick says:

This and the NBC one sound interesting, CBS one sounds stupid, while Syfy is TBD

• MDS says:

I agree, out of all this adaptations, I’m most hopeful about NBC’s and this one. Syfy’s could be good as well, but I don’t like the fact that the main character is male. CBS just sounds idiotic, plus it’s CBS, so it’ll probably be a boring procedural

4. Justin says:

I’m getting deja-vu of all the Alice in Wonderland and Snow White projects of 2-5 years ago.

5. Mary says:

Sounds kind of interesting.

I believe that’s Nora Kay Foster, not Norma. Liked some of her work with Adam Armus on Xena.

6. Steph says:

Why don’t they make one based on Gregory Maguire’s series why they are at it?

• Thea says:

They’ve been talking about it for ages, it feels like. They need to hurry up and get it moving before Lea Michele (my personal dream Elphie) looks too old/gets too busy for the part.

• Jake says:

You’re not the only one who thinks Lea Michele would make a good Elphaba trust me on that one (and its not just because she and Idina Menzel look almost identical)

7. Pumpkinbabies says:

Well, hopefully the teen is a female cause feminists would have a fit.

• Josh says:

She’ll be a female but don’t worry. Per the CW way(save for Nikita) she’ll be entirely reliant on a man.

• rarefied says:

Yeah, those whiny feminists, irrationally mad because a book series with badass, mostly female heroines keeps getting remade with male protagonists.

8. Clayton says:

These networks need to stop oversaturating the market with the same ideas. We don’t need four different wizard of Oz shows at once. They need to observe how one of them does, and if there is an audience for it, then another network should try and take a stab at it.

9. liz says:

And this is the first of all the Oz inspired series that sound interesting! And the CW has really won me over with their mature handling of Beauty and the Beast, Arrow and Carrie Diaries so I’m pretty much sold. Hope its awesome. Love a narrative about power hungry women.

10. marie says:

I’ll have to see the trailers because those early synopsis always sound cheesy to me

11. Shaun says:

Kring needs to go back into Witness Protection….we still haven’t forgiven him for ruining Heroes.

12. Another Tim Kring flop? The guy still can’t catch a break and he’s one of the worst writers/showrunners in the history of TV. For Mr. Kring, man is running out of ideas.

13. Ray says:

Tim Kring? Count me out.

14. alistaircrane says:

A story where Dorothy is the VILLAIN???? Oh hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Josh says:

Just what I want…Dorothy as a facist. Surrender childhood, surrender!

And as always, the CW outsources from a book. If they ever have a season of all original ideas, I might faint.

• darcywils says:

You’re really going to pick on somebody adapting a book when discussing it in the context of the legacy of a movie that was adapted from a book? Like, really?

16. jo says:

You lost me at ‘Tim Kring’.

17. Alan says:

oh come on! this is just getting silly now, 2 shows with a similar concept is to be expected, 3 is showing a distinct lack of originality, 4 is the number where it doesnt matter how good they are i just want them all to fail and go away.

18. Jackie H. says:

If the medial drama one is as based on Wizard of Oz and “House” was based on Sherlock Holmes (where is isn’t completely obvious) it’ll be worth a watch… This is a lot of Oz thought….

19. escorts says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering
    the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly
    again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

20. b6 says:

Staring felicia day as charlie bradbury?