Grey's Anatomy's Cristina Quandary: 4 (Mostly) Plausible Exit Scenarios for Yang

Get More: Previews

Sandra Oh Last EpisodeAlthough we’re still weeks away from the 10th season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy (and months and months away from the season finale!), we’re already bracing ourselves for a tearful goodbye to our everybody’s favorite character, Sandra Oh’s endearingly prickly Cristina Yang. Series creator Shonda Rhimes has promised that the doc will get “the exit she deserves,” but what exactly will that look like?

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy and 44 Other Returning Faves

Here are our four best bets. Scroll through, why don’t you, and then hit the comments with your preference (or better ideas)!

Comments (67)

• No to a Cristina death! She deserves to go off and be amazing somewhere else (although it’s going to be tricky to work around seeing as she’s part owner of the hospital – though I guess she can just sell her shares…?). I like option #1 not only because she gets to be the HBIC and that she’s with beloved Addi, she’s from LA so she’ll be closer to her family (not that Cristina’s ever really cared about that but it’s certainly not a negative thing).

I hope for Cristina to go off and be amazing somewhere. Wouldn’t hate the idea of Burke somehow being in the mix – maybe she beats him out of some prestigious award (will one of our docs ever win the coveted Harper Avery Award before the series eventual end???).

Comment by Julz – September 5, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like to ending where Critina gets her own wing…I do not think Burke should be a factor in her life again..There was so much more “believability” in the Cristina/Owen relationship than with Burke which was always never deep enough..The best ending would be that she decides to stay!

Comment by MollyKate – November 15, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahaha…. Love all the possibilities….keep em coming…. ;-)

Comment by Sam – September 5, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any of the first three options would be great. I really do not want them to kill Christina off. That’s also a real cop-out on story!

Comment by Bobbi – September 5, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Number One seems most plausible .. except it should be Teddy instead of Addy who calls her up to join.. keeping in view Teddy was her mentor and they both were actually friends.

Absolute NO to Burke’s comeback! he doesn’t deserve someone as awesome as Cristina.. he was a douchebag to her when he was with her, he was a even bigger douche when he left her – so NO! i would rather have her character die in Owen’s arms than see her go away with Burke!

That said, i see no going forward for Grey’s without Yang! They should wrap up Grey’s and start a spinoff so that the originals that want to leave can do so yet not making Grey’s totally un-grey!

Comment by trainwreck – September 5, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was thinking!

Teddy went off to take the Chief job at MedCon (is that actually what it was called…?) and Teddy offers the Cristina the Cardio Department. It would help Cristina’s career and life ambitions as well as reunite her with her former mentor and friend.

Cristina wouldn’t want to leave Mer of course, but it would still be an interesting (and hopefully not too heartbreaking) conflict.

Plus it would allow her to return for the ultimate series finale (which I always hoped would be Lexie and Mark’s wedding, but hey, dreams can die in a plane crash in the woods).

Comment by Aly – September 5, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it’s MEDCOM. I worked under that command for a while! :)

Comment by Becka – October 2, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would live to see her join Teddy. I think that would be perfect for her

Comment by Jonathan – September 5, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s why the first scenario would never happen. First off, Cristina was NEVER close to Addison nor seemed to respect her in any way so why now? And on that train wreck spin off Private Practice, Sam is still very much the cardio guy when the show thankfully got cancelled. Cristina as we have known her for nearly 10 seasons would not leave Meredith for THAT offer. It’s laughable. However, I could very much see her joining Teddy who was a close friend, teacher and mentor. Makes way more sense than the first ridiculous and implausible set-up.

Comment by Jenna – September 5, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like one and three. And I like the Teddy option as well. No no no no to Burke returning. She’s not the same Cristina…..she’d never be with him again. I too would rather have her die in Owen’s arms than be with Burke.

Comment by Alichat – September 5, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sincerely hope that Shonda doesn’t kill her.

Comment by Juliana – September 5, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha, at the Idris Elba pic- before I’d read the caption I thought “Man, Isaiah Washington has aged into looking EXACTLY like Idris Elba… that’s weird…”

Comment by Lucy – September 5, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Addison scenario is most plausible and rewarding. Anything to do with her furthering her career/being the top of her game would be appropriate and a nice send off for this beloved character. The Burke story has been over longer than it was played and it’s doubtful she would be killed off as the audience is still boo-ing the deaths of George, Lexie and Mark.

Comment by Robby – September 5, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be a huge mistake if Rhimes kills Cristina off. Just not a good idea. Some fans are still trying to get over the fact that we lost Lexie and Mark – rather then them getting away together. So no! I could get on board with her leaving for L.A. after an offer from Addison. Still wish – as Rhimes does – that Kate Walsh decides to return to GREY’S.

Comment by Dani – September 5, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Killing her off would be the show going to that well one too many times after George, Mark and Lexie. I’d split the difference between the two hospital scenarios and have Yang get hired to head the under-new-management Minnesota hospital after they fire Stephen Culp’s character for being waaaaay too corporate to begin with and for essentially humiliating William Daniels’s character to death. It would be plausible for the process of terminating Culp and hiring Yang to take this long, especially if it involved the Minnesota hospital having to buy Culp’s contract out just to get rid of him.

Comment by shutuprob – September 5, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Cristina actually survive and go off elsewhere in the universe. It would leave her free to appear occasionally in a guest capacity, or maybe even come back later if it suits her to do so.

It’d be neat if she went to St Ambrose, but then they’d have to explain what happened to Sam, since he’s the heart doc there, and without PP around to do a crossover ep, I think we’d miss out on a lot of great storyline potential.

I hope she doesn’t end up with Burke again… no matter who plays him. It feels like that would be a huge step backward for her. Now… if she met someone who not only respected her, but maybe even agreed with her, on the childfree thing… I can see her riding off into the sunset of a position as a cardio-thoracic attending with the new guy that won’t ask things of her that she can’t give.

Yeah okay… I want her version of the fairy tale ending. It’s be nice change of pace.

Comment by Erika – September 5, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously, the first choice, however I don’t know about Christina working with Addy – I see her following Teddy before going to work with Addy, then again who knows what Shondra Rhimes has up her sleeve for this season, But I agree no more deaths! I don’t think Addison will be moving back to Seattle, but I hope she stops by at least once this season, I LOVE Addison and all the gang from Private Practice, but Addy now has her son and her hot guy so why would she move back to Seattle? Christina is such an amazing doctor it has to be something pretty big to tear her away, and she does need to get away from Owen, maybe now he can meet a new woman and have kids.

Comment by tvaddict – September 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Please, just close Grey’s. Ten years is enough, and it will be not be GA with Cristina.
    We already dealt with almost all the originals going away.
    Close it before it becames more painful to watch than it already is

Comment by Mari – September 5, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know you can just stop watching, right? I for one would like it to continue ER style. Sure, I miss the originals (and even the not so originals who have left), but I still enjoy the show without them.

Comment by Tonya – September 5, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Christina will get a big deal, can’t pass it up because only the best of the best get it, cardiac fellowship after her residency that takes her away from Seattle.

Comment by Jdurbs – September 5, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope shonda doesn’t kill her! it will be a total disaster for the show (even more after Lexie+Mark sudden death).
    I like the Addy theory, although I think Cristina would never go to work in a little hospital like saint ambrose (isn’t it?). Maybe Teddy call her is more likely, but i think cristina deserve to be the only kick-ass-cardio-god in a First class Hospital. .
    I hope she wins the harper avery this year or anyway goes to a different hospital to win the harper avery.
    anyway the fact that sandra oh leaves could mean the end of the tv show.

Comment by Ale – September 5, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will sh*t bricks if Shonda kills Cristina. I understand like 98% of all the other deaths but NOT Cristina. She deserves more than that.

Comment by Sara – September 5, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think 10th season will be the last one, even if we love so much this show we all know everything comes with an expiry date. 10 is a nice number. No more deaths on Grey’s PLEASEEEEE.

Comment by Alia – September 5, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Cristina doesn’t die but I can’t help but feel it’s going to be the case… Shonda said Mark and Lexie would get the happy ending they deserved and where are they? Dead. So when I see she said that Cristina would get the exit she deserves I’m pessimistic.
    If by some miracle she survives Seattle Grace Mercy Death I think she should leave for a new hospital where she’d have her own cardio program. The Addi theory is good but I feel it’d be more plausible if it came from Teddy.
    In any case I think Grey’s should end after this season, 10 years is honorable for a tv show & I think we explored every possible storyline (sometimes twice or even three times…)

Comment by Marge – September 5, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys, Meredith died back when Kyle Chandler blew up in Season 3. Everything since then has been a dream. You’ll see when the smoke monster shows up to eat Cristina.

Comment by skiki – September 5, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Option 1 is the best way for her to go, but I could accept option 3 as well.

Comment by sabrina – September 5, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see them shipping her off to work with the foreign doctors they trained this past season (Romania?). It would be a challenge for her, which she lives for, it would be a BIG deal on a resume in the future, AND it would take her far from Owen.

Comment by Cory – September 5, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d LOVE for her to get back together with Burke, but I doubt Shonda Rhimes would hook up Yang with Isaiah Washington’s character. I think she’s not the forgiving type…
    But it would be a GREAT story line IMO; Burke & Yang as a churgical power couple and a couple in ‘real life’.

Comment by Caro – September 5, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like option 1. I want Cristina to have a happy ending and some major success in her career. I also love Addison so it all works.

Comment by Trace – September 5, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a character who is all about her career, I think it would be so fitting for her to leave with some great promotion. Cristina deserves that!

Comment by Emma – September 5, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think 1 and 3 are the most plausible. But it doesn’t have to be Addison, any of her past mentors would be better (Hahn, teddy, Burke) and as for number 3 I think that after all Cristina came back to Seattle fore the wrong reasons, so leaving again to work for one of the best hospitals in the country sounds about right

Comment by Laura B – September 5, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recast Burke and have them kiss and make up!

Comment by Emma – September 5, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point, to me, Cristina is the only one on the show who deserves to live. So Shonda will kill her off. She always goes for the cheap shock/emotion rather than any kind of actual deep storytelling.

Comment by kate – September 5, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always said Burke needs to come back and provide some closure to his story. A recast is something I never gave much thought to. If it had to be anyone, Idris Elba would be a great choice.

I also like the other option of Addison offering her a job in LA. If you can’t get Kate Walsh back, I say bring on KaDee Strickland as Charlotte to woo her to LA (seeing as she is/was the actual COS at St Ambrose)

Comment by Tony – September 5, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling Grey’s will last for a season or two more. (But, hey, I could easily be wrong). So, rather than kill her off, Cristina should depart for a job opportunity which allows her to fully realize her potential. This would allow Owen to have what he craves, and for her to be true to herself. Plus, when Grey’s really does come to an end, Sandra has hinted that she would be more than willing to star in another episode or two. Killing her off would be the easy solution, and, given that this is Grey’s, the most predictable one.

Comment by Daniel – September 5, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • since when are sex friends an old flame? cristina had no emotional attatchment to that tool at Mayo i guess you would know that if you actually watched

Comment by Persona – September 5, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with Scenerio 2 and 1 in that order I loved Burke and Christina. But if she moves on to fulfill her career dreams I won’t be upset at that either.

Comment by Mika02 – September 5, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Shonda kills off Cristina, I’m done with her shows. This actor has made the show for so many years. Don’t “Izzy” her…

Comment by Dags – September 5, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!!! I have faithfully watched her shows, but I draw the line if she kills Christina. Yang deserves to follow Teddy to a cardio wing & win the Harper Avery. She can come back and visit her BFF Mer but seriously the killing off” was used up on Mark & Lexi. Leave Christina alone to go on and be happy for once.

Comment by Vet – September 22, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s tough because Christina literally owns part of the hospital. Why would she leave it?!? She can’t die (it would tear the show apart) but I don’t know why she would leave. She is one character that I literally want to wrap up the whole show instea of see her leave. I want to imagine her there forever.

Comment by Mandy – September 5, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the first scenario but I think she definately needs to win the Harper Avery award before packing up. Remember the Avery foundation does own the hospital as well and 2 of the key voters are going to under your nose Jackson and mamma.

Comment by Aussie – September 5, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or there could be a fifth scenario. I don’t know. I don’t see any of those working in context of the character. I mean, the death maybe only because death is random, but with everything that Christina has been through, I can’t imagine death would be the proper send off for her. As some have mentioned, I could see her going away with Teddy. Kim Ravers isn’t attached to any series since NCIS: RED didn’t get picked up. I would love for Burke to return for a little bit. And Addison. And Izzie – I think I’m the only person here who wants that character to come back, and that’s fine. It’d be nice to have a little bit of Grey’s Genesis characters to return. It’s too soon to speculate right now anyway, we have 24 episodes to get through. I’m sure Christina’s departure won’t be focused on until the second half of the season.

Comment by Clayton – September 5, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “No” to Christina joining Addy. From a character standpoint it makes no sense; they never had a relationship. She wins the Harper Avery Award and is offered her dream job, wherever that may be.

Comment by Angela – September 5, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t like any of these options. For sure, she needs to not die. My vote goes to having her get the job of a lifetime.. As head of surgical cardiology at St.Eligius Hospital. Replacing Dr. Mark Daniels. ;)

Comment by DarkDefender – September 5, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very sure she will not die. They like her and they want her back for the end of the show, which will like be after Season 12-ish. Addy makes no sense, but Teddy does. If they sent Cristina off to work in the field somewhere, like for that agency Teddy works for, she wouldn’t have to sell her GSM shares – she could sign over her voting rights to someone like, oh… Bailey (which is what I totally predict will happen). I think she’s basically going to reach the point where she hates owning the hospital and needs to feel more like a surgeon again, find her purpose. And get away from Owen because it hurts too much.

I also like the idea of Hahn coming back. That would be interesting because it would stir things up for Callie and Arizona.

Comment by Tania – September 5, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina Yang is easily one of my favorite characters on TV and I’m already so sad to start the new season knowing she is leaving. She has had brilliant moments through the years and her exit needs to match/top them all. That being said, there are GLARING faults in her story…Shondha Rhimes, I’m looking at you girl! The woman who never wants kids accidentally gets pregnant twice!?!? And this same aversion to anything not career prevents her from being with a smart, kind man who loves her and pushes her to be more!?!? Am I the only one who wants her to get the career AND the man!?

Comment by Sarah – September 5, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i dont find her character getting prggo twice a flaw as it just REINFORCED that she does not want a kid – she might have grown up as a brilliant and compassionate surgeon but she is till the hardcore career loving Cristina we know. I too want her to have the MAN, but neither Owen (or Burke!) ever wanted her to be what she is… they wanted their own contrived versions of her.

Comment by trainwreck – September 5, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1

Comment by Kristen – September 6, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +2
        Well said. None of them ever accepted her for what she is. And the last jackass had the audacity of punish her because she had the gall of not shape herself to his desires. Bad dog (pardon, bad girl).

Comment by Ninna – September 7, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote goes to option 2. Idris Elba as Burke would be fantastic.

Comment by burktina fan – September 5, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want Cristina to die! I want her to be kick ass and get a Harper Avery or something like that. She can then go and be awesome somewhere else!

Comment by MJ – September 6, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No death please!!! I really like the St. Ambrose thing. It shows us that the people of Private Practice do still exist. I miss that show. Would be cool if they showed her meet at St. Ambrose so that we can get a glimpse of some of our faves from PP!

Comment by Phil – September 6, 2013 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the Teddy idea and probably any amazing career move to a more prominent hospital, her inventing sime technique and traveling the world teaching it etc. would fit with her character. Plus that would technically keep her in Mers life with mentions and visits we just wouldn’t see her.

NO to a death – that would be a total cop out no matter how it is handled. I mean we already have been through a Lost-style plane crash and multiple strong characters killed off. The body count is just too high and would be a lame send off for a character with such depth.

Comment by Saabgirlatx – September 6, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll definitely have something to do with her career and not a death, but if scenario #4 happened I would probably die laughing.

Comment by kavyn – September 6, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina has always been my favorite. I hope she wins the Harper Avery award and gets to head up her own cardiothoracic surgical unit offered to her by Teddy or Hahn. Call me crazy, but I do want to see Christina have closure with the whole Burke storyline. Not get back together but just have that moment where she can say to him you left me in pieces but in spite of that I’m gifted and brilliant and I’ve survived without you.
    As far as leaving, she wouldn’t have to give up her shares but if she does I agree with giving them to Bailey.
    SN: I hope the show ends with either Richard back at COS or Bailey as COS.

Comment by BriDeSi – September 9, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t see #3 as Mayo would always remind her of her “old man friend”/mentor/father figure. Would hate #2 as always detested Burke due to his arrogance, but could see the variation of #1 if it were Teddy doing the offering. Definitely don’t want to see her die!

Comment by Abigail – September 20, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about a flashback to the funny “what if” that was done earlier with Weber and Mer’s mom married and Mer about to marry Alex, etc. (can’t remember when that one was). Anyway, in that “what if” show, Callie was married to Owen and they had a family. So…what if Callie and Owen did get together, and Cristina couldn’t stand to see Owen with Callie and with a family, so she took one of the aforementioned jobs?

Comment by Marie – September 29, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either it’s Cris will leave cos Owen does find someone else and it’s too hard on her /or/ Cris has met a man who’s well past his child rearing years and wants her to move away from Seattle to live with him

Comment by Jay – October 4, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come back.burke!!!! Or addie

Comment by amber – October 5, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like number one better because it does seem more plausible for Christina to have her own wing. The thing about burke well that went out years ago. And I think that she was so happy that she did not marry burke after all. And besides we know where her heart is and it is with owen. I do not think that she would want to hurt him like that the other one which would be going back to minnestoa is ok but the last one I do not like. She needs to go off into the sunset and doing something that she wants to do. I do not want to see her getting killed off.

Comment by Subrina Pechacek – October 5, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina discovers she is pregnant with Owen’s child……decides to have it and dies in childbirth.

Comment by Carolyn – October 10, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if she does die this would be the way.

Comment by Glynda Jenson – November 16, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post