Ratings: FXXcellent Start for It’s Always Sunny and The League In New Cable Home

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

It's Always SunnyThat extra X marked the ratings spot for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League, as both comedies successfully segued from FX to new spin-off net FXX Wednesday night.

Sunny‘s Season 9 opener drew 760,000 total viewers, with 648K landing in the 18-49 sweet spot (or 80 percent of its previous premiere’s delivery in that demo). In Adults 18-34, the comedy enjoyed 85 percent retention, while with Men 18-34 it in fact improved (by 8 percent).

The League‘s Season 5 “kick-off” built on its lead-in — maybe as more people frantically tracked down FXX on the dial? — by drawing 790,000 total viewers, with 687K in 18-49 (dipping just 6 percent from Season 4 premiere) and 540K in 18-34 (down 8 percent).

Compared to its Season 4 averages, The League returned higher in all key demos.

Comments (13)

• I love The League so much! I always have such a great time when I watch it. It makes me laugh out loud at almost every line. Congrats!

Comment by Zach – September 5, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m confused, you claim to love The League, and yet you’re able to compose complete sentences. This does not make sense.

Comment by Planck Hate (@planckhate) – September 5, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Both The League and Sunny are amazingly brilliant and witty and if you can’t see that then I might question your competency. Or maybe comedy isn’t your thing, maybe your the NCIS type

Comment by Ram510 – September 5, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Should we be watching dreck like Glee instead?

Comment by B – September 6, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy, love both shows and The League is probably the funniest show on Tv right now.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – September 5, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know it’s a great episode when Rafi and Dirty Randy make an appearance.

Comment by JC – September 5, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My cable listings show FXX as a free 30 day preview – are they charging extra after that? If so I’m opting out of their programming. Free TV is too expensive as it is.

Comment by RobD381 – September 5, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have direct TV and just found out that I will have to upgrade to get FXX channel, which is not gonna happen. :(

Comment by LeslieB – September 5, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’ll be much more interested in these ratings as the TV service providers’ free trials expire for FXX. When DirecTV starts charging extra for access, I won’t be upgrading my programming package, and FXX will have lost another household.

Comment by Fletcher – September 6, 2013 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if they lose 15% of their viewers once it is up. At least I hope so The League returns to FX

Comment by Josh N – September 7, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, its pretty amazing they got as good ratings as they did since a LOT of Cable Providers (like Cablevision here in NY) still have FXX as a “sports tier” channel (it used to be Fox Soccer), and if you dont have that “pay extra” package, you cant get Sunny and The League.

Comment by Pat D. – September 5, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cable companies are just asking people to steal their shows aren’t they?

Comment by David4 – September 5, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have Armstrong and I am incredible sad that I don’t get FXX at all, I honestly hope the viewing plummets after the 30 day free trials are all up because I want The League back on FX. It really sucks for us that they pick 3 popular shows and those are the only ones I can’t get on normal cable anymore. Damn…..

Comment by Josh N – September 7, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post