Ratings: FXXcellent Start for It’s Always Sunny and The League In New Cable Home

It's Always SunnyThat extra X marked the ratings spot for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League, as both comedies successfully segued from FX to new spin-off net FXX Wednesday night.

Sunny‘s Season 9 opener drew 760,000 total viewers, with 648K landing in the 18-49 sweet spot (or 80 percent of its previous premiere’s delivery in that demo). In Adults 18-34, the comedy enjoyed 85 percent retention, while with Men 18-34 it in fact improved (by 8 percent).

The League‘s Season 5 “kick-off” built on its lead-in — maybe as more people frantically tracked down FXX on the dial? — by drawing 790,000 total viewers, with 687K in 18-49 (dipping just 6 percent from Season 4 premiere) and 540K in 18-34 (down 8 percent).

Compared to its Season 4 averages, The League returned higher in all key demos.

1. Zach says:

I love The League so much! I always have such a great time when I watch it. It makes me laugh out loud at almost every line. Congrats!

2. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Very happy, love both shows and The League is probably the funniest show on Tv right now.

3. RobD381 says:

My cable listings show FXX as a free 30 day preview – are they charging extra after that? If so I’m opting out of their programming. Free TV is too expensive as it is.

• LeslieB says:

I have direct TV and just found out that I will have to upgrade to get FXX channel, which is not gonna happen. :(

• Fletcher says:

Yeah, I’ll be much more interested in these ratings as the TV service providers’ free trials expire for FXX. When DirecTV starts charging extra for access, I won’t be upgrading my programming package, and FXX will have lost another household.

• Josh N says:

Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if they lose 15% of their viewers once it is up. At least I hope so The League returns to FX

4. Pat D. says:

Yeah, its pretty amazing they got as good ratings as they did since a LOT of Cable Providers (like Cablevision here in NY) still have FXX as a “sports tier” channel (it used to be Fox Soccer), and if you dont have that “pay extra” package, you cant get Sunny and The League.

5. David4 says:

cable companies are just asking people to steal their shows aren’t they?

6. Josh N says:

I have Armstrong and I am incredible sad that I don’t get FXX at all, I honestly hope the viewing plummets after the 30 day free trials are all up because I want The League back on FX. It really sucks for us that they pick 3 popular shows and those are the only ones I can’t get on normal cable anymore. Damn…..