Elizabeth Hurley to Star In E! Pilot The Royals

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

The Royals Pilot Cast Elizabeth HurleyE! has bestowed upon Elizabeth Hurley a starring role in its scripted drama pilot The Royals, our sister site Deadline reports.

From One Tree Hill executive producers Mark Schwahn, Brian Robbins and Joe Davola, the prospective Hamlet-esque series is described as a contemporary drama centering on a fictional royal family.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

The supermodel-turned-actress plays the “sexy, devious and conflicted” Queen Helena who’s struggling with the death of her oldest son and looking to halt a relationship between her middle son and his American girlfriend.

Hurley’s TV credits include Gossip Girl and NBC’s ill-fated Wonder Woman reboot.

Comments (12)

• Liz Hurley as royalty? Perfect casting. I hope this works out for her.

Comment by Cherry – September 4, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish this weren’t on E!, but this actually sounds really intriguing.

Comment by Drewer – September 4, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at One Tree Hill!!!

Comment by Puhleaze – September 4, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? They had me at Hurley (who is still gorgeous btw) and lost me at OTH, GG, and WW. Oh and the obvious: that this will be on E!. Still maybe it can overcome all of these obstacles and be a good show. the premise i’m cool with if done well. BTW, i know ppl liked OTH for whatever reason, but you DO know it was badly written and acted, right? The dialogue was sooo clunky. I couldn’t make it past the first season. Every now and then I would watch a part of an episode to see if it got better. It didn’t. I was happy for the show to continue bc i support the burgeoning film hub in NC, but fact is fact. The show sucked even if ppl enjoyed it. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Comment by jestsaying – September 4, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do know that all of that is your opinion right? And some of us think One Tree Hill had a fantastic cast (most notably Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Lenz and Paul Johansson) and was extremely well written for the most part, although I’ll concede it fell into a major slump in the middle seasons (5-7 especially).

Comment by dude – September 4, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What? I watched OTH because it was a guilty pleasure but it was just a crappy soap opera. And except for Hilarie Burton nobody was decent.

Comment by Jen – September 7, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have much faith in this. I think it’s a cool idea, and I really do enjoy watching Elizabeth Hurley. She always has so much stage presence and charisma on screen, in my opinion. However, I don’t know if she has enough to lead a show into a success. But I guess success is relative on the E!-network. It’s not one of the big 4. We will see. The premise sounds fun.

Comment by Clayton – September 4, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would likely be a pilot project for them if it made it to series. It’s success in getting a second season and encouraging them to continue with scripted television would likely hinge on it getting respectable numbers but not necessarily hit-show, network-defining numbers.

Comment by dude – September 4, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it was airing on a channel that isnt associated with some media whores, I would be in. Like the idea, but I’ll pass.

Comment by Lynne – September 4, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the idea and I adore Elizabeth Hurley. She was great in Austin Powers. I’d give it a shot despite my hatred for OTH.

Comment by Steven – September 4, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those who hated One Tree Hill didn’t stick with the show.

Comment by Fabe – September 5, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! I hope it’s good!

Comment by J – September 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post