Elizabeth Hurley to Star In E! Pilot The Royals

The Royals Pilot Cast Elizabeth HurleyE! has bestowed upon Elizabeth Hurley a starring role in its scripted drama pilot The Royals, our sister site Deadline reports.

From One Tree Hill executive producers Mark Schwahn, Brian Robbins and Joe Davola, the prospective Hamlet-esque series is described as a contemporary drama centering on a fictional royal family.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

The supermodel-turned-actress plays the “sexy, devious and conflicted” Queen Helena who’s struggling with the death of her oldest son and looking to halt a relationship between her middle son and his American girlfriend.

Hurley’s TV credits include Gossip Girl and NBC’s ill-fated Wonder Woman reboot.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Cherry says:

Liz Hurley as royalty? Perfect casting. I hope this works out for her.

2. Drewer says:

I wish this weren’t on E!, but this actually sounds really intriguing.

3. Puhleaze says:

You had me at One Tree Hill!!!

• jestsaying says:

Really? They had me at Hurley (who is still gorgeous btw) and lost me at OTH, GG, and WW. Oh and the obvious: that this will be on E!. Still maybe it can overcome all of these obstacles and be a good show. the premise i’m cool with if done well. BTW, i know ppl liked OTH for whatever reason, but you DO know it was badly written and acted, right? The dialogue was sooo clunky. I couldn’t make it past the first season. Every now and then I would watch a part of an episode to see if it got better. It didn’t. I was happy for the show to continue bc i support the burgeoning film hub in NC, but fact is fact. The show sucked even if ppl enjoyed it. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

• dude says:

You do know that all of that is your opinion right? And some of us think One Tree Hill had a fantastic cast (most notably Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Lenz and Paul Johansson) and was extremely well written for the most part, although I’ll concede it fell into a major slump in the middle seasons (5-7 especially).

• Jen says:

What? I watched OTH because it was a guilty pleasure but it was just a crappy soap opera. And except for Hilarie Burton nobody was decent.

4. Clayton says:

I don’t have much faith in this. I think it’s a cool idea, and I really do enjoy watching Elizabeth Hurley. She always has so much stage presence and charisma on screen, in my opinion. However, I don’t know if she has enough to lead a show into a success. But I guess success is relative on the E!-network. It’s not one of the big 4. We will see. The premise sounds fun.

• dude says:

This would likely be a pilot project for them if it made it to series. It’s success in getting a second season and encouraging them to continue with scripted television would likely hinge on it getting respectable numbers but not necessarily hit-show, network-defining numbers.

5. Lynne says:

If it was airing on a channel that isnt associated with some media whores, I would be in. Like the idea, but I’ll pass.

6. Steven says:

Love the idea and I adore Elizabeth Hurley. She was great in Austin Powers. I’d give it a shot despite my hatred for OTH.

7. Fabe says:

Those who hated One Tree Hill didn’t stick with the show.

8. J says:

Can’t wait! I hope it’s good!