Fall TV Preview

Dancing With the Stars Cast Includes Valerie Harper, Glee Vet, Showgirls Star and… Bill Nye?!

ABC’s Dancing With the Stars Has unveiled its Season 17 cast, and the new crop of celeb hoofers includes cancer fighter Valerie Harper, a Glee star, two Saved By the Bell alumni and (of course) a lumbering NFL vet.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Favorites

The full cast is on display in the slideshow below, with the pro partners. Of note, Harper, 74, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in January, and given three to six months to live. Amid new reports that she is close to remission, Harper said on Good Morning America, “I’m moving in the right direction. So as my husband said, ‘Let’s just buy time, Val.’” And yes, Christina Milian‘s participation double-confirms that which she announced two weeks ago, that her stint as The Voice‘s “social media” somethingoranother has ended.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars: 12 Unexpected Twists to Reignite the Ratings

DWTS will put its best feet forward Monday, Sept. 16 — now airing just one day a week, coming off a stretch of ratings stumbles (including its lowest-rated finale ever). How will it work, rid of a results show? Each week, viewers will vote for their fave performance. A pair will be cut at the end of each Monday episode by combining the judges’ scores for the night with your votes from the previous week. Capiche?

Comments (93)

• A surprisingly good cast!

Comment by Cherry – September 4, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was reading it shocked. I actually know all of the names and a couple are actually stars. Maybe not A-list, but definitely B-list, some close to B+-list, such as Amber Riley.

Comment by Ginny – September 4, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best Cast of All Times O_O

Comment by Pérola Cardozo Alves – September 4, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What world do you live in? If we’re kind, Amber Riley is C list. If we’re kind. She’s a nobody now that she’s been booted from Glee.

Comment by Pam – September 4, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If Glee aired in the 80s maybe you would have a point. What do you expect? James Franco and Jennifer Lawrence? She’s far more of a somebody than those Disney channel girls they’ve been having on that nobody over 15 has heard of.

Comment by shump – September 4, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What are we even talking about? DWTS should be named Dancing With These Nobodies!

Comment by Claudia – September 4, 2013 03:59 PM PDT
          • I’ve always thought it should be called Dancing with the “Stars.”

Comment by ann – September 4, 2013 06:50 PM PDT
        • You’re not very kind…

Comment by Luis Daniel Saenz Alarcon – September 4, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This might be the first year I watch the entire series as the cast is interesting. Hope Christina Milian stays on for a long time……keeps her away from the Voice!

Comment by Ethel – September 4, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She officially left The Voice around end of July – announced it herself “to concentrate on music” but nobody bothered.. Funny enough NBC didn’t even aknowledge her leaving.

Can they bring that chick from season 1 of The Voice as social correspondent please?

Back to DWTS – the cast is quite known this time.

Comment by Sami – September 4, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s on one of Hulu’s webseries, The Morning After, if you want to see her again :D

Comment by AT – September 5, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BILL NYE?!?!? Looks like it should be a good season! Can’t wait to see the pairings.

Comment by GoCanes – September 4, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heck yes! Watching cuz of him & also Amber Riley who I still love. Can we however make it a mission to kick off snookie the first round. We don’t really need more of her

Comment by Liz – September 4, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s like you read my mind on all accounts.

Comment by Cassandra – September 4, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed! Bill Nye and Amber Riley?!?! Maybe I will actually watch this show.

Comment by SLS – September 4, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually really happy with this cast! And I’m usually underwhelmed (not that it matters, because once the season gets underway, whether they first appeared to be a good cast has nothing to do with it.)

Also: BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY.
    That is all.

Comment by ktbanks – September 4, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No interest in the show, but so happy to see Valerie Harper healthy enough to participate. I bet Valerie wants to be treated like everyone else and not get the “sympathy” vote. Hope she wins, but wins because she’s the best dancer!

Comment by AJ – September 4, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope for the same thing with her, for the reasons you stated, and for Tristan as well. It’d be nice to see that couple manage to make it far in the competition.
      Bill Nye being part of the cast shocks the hell out of me, but hey, I welcome more likeable celebrity contestants.
      Only one I’m not wild about is Snooki, just ’cause I never got the whole appeal of “Jersey Shore” and those involved in it. But eh. I’ll deal.

Comment by Angela – September 4, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i might actually start watching DWTS again!

Comment by mallory – September 4, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m weirdly most excited about bill Nye!!! That’s awesome and for once its actually a really good cast. I’m kind of shocked.

Comment by Gabby – September 4, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bill Nye is awesome. I still show those videos to my fifth grade students t school.

Comment by Jenny – September 4, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Amber Riley, Elizabeth Berkley, Leah Remini, and Brant Daugherty! The Science Guy can go first. I couldn’t stand him when I was 9 and I doubt that has changed.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 4, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing Bill Nye or Bill Engvall will be the first to go.

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aww :’( I love both of them! I listen to Bill Engvall’s comedy a lot and grew up with Bill Nye! I hope they don’t go first because this is the first year I have EVER been interested in any of the cast members and I would say I like about 75% of them this time.

Comment by Leanna – September 4, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you implying that scientists all have two left feet??? He might just surprise you.

Comment by Bob – September 5, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let me guess. Science not your thing? or just learning in general?

Comment by jestsaying – September 4, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like learning. I like science. I just have never cared for Bill Nye’s over the top personality in his Science Guy videos.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 4, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news about Valerie Harper being healthier, but they really don’t want to give Tristan any shot at winning, do they?

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tristan comes across as being a very good teacher for older dancers, very classy, gentle, positive around new dancers, but come on! There’s gotta be like a 20 year gap in the average age of a Tristan partner and a Derek or Mark partner. Give that gorgeous man a chance to stick around!

Comment by Alice – September 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen to this comment.

Comment by Angela – September 4, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tristan’s youngest partner has been Pam Anderson- and she a) is no spring chicken and b) she was the canon fodder of the All-Star season. Good for Valerie- but my heart still waits for Tristan’s shot with a younger contender.

Comment by MSD – September 4, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pam was never Tristan’s partner.

Comment by Jennifer – September 4, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pam & Tristan were paired for the all-star season.

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLY CRAP! BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY?! this this real life? that’s awesome.

Comment by Elyse – September 4, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched this show but the cast seems great this time around.

Comment by Kate – September 4, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Maks supposed to be back this season? I miss him!!

Comment by Kim – September 4, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So do I! The cast is okay, but another season without Maks really doesn’t interest me much.

Comment by Bobbi – September 4, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean Christina Milian won’t be annoying us on the voice???

Comment by Tiffany – September 4, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be kind of hard for her to be on both shows, seeing that they air at the same time. Even though some of the early stuff is pre-taped.

Comment by Jennifer – September 4, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes she left The Voice “to focus on her music” announcing it in July but nobody bothered to notice that. Hated her on The Voice but her single ain’t bad – though i listened to it while drunk!

Comment by Sami – September 4, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great cast! I’m excited! Brant Daugherty was also on Army Wives this summer! I’m probably most excited about Amber Riley and Leah Remini!

Comment by Robin – September 4, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched this show since Shawn Johnson won it in season 8. This cast might get me to change my mind. I’m going to be rooting for Jack Osborne and Valerie Harper, given the health issues they’re both facing, but there are so many people on this cast that I like that I think it’s going to be a great season!

Comment by erin – September 4, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good to see someone else remembers his MS diagnosis. I’m sure he’s getting a lot of advice from Kelly.

Comment by DJ – September 4, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I’m sure that it will be mentioned at least 20 times the first episode and we will be reminded of it EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. Don’t worry, ABC won’t let people forget.

Comment by Alice – September 4, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Keyshawn Johnson dance his way to the top.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – September 4, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched DWTS in years but I have to admit I’m seriously thinking of watching it this season. This is a good cast selection.

Comment by Larry – September 4, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber Riley,Christina Millan, Snooki, Corbin Bleu, Brant Daugherty, Jack Osbourne, Valerie Harper and Bill Nye The Science Guy???!!! And only one day a week???!!! That’s it I’m watching DWTS this season!!!!

Comment by Kissan – September 4, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leah and Elizabeth?!? I’ll just say it, they should have done an all Saved By The Bell cast this season. Well, except for Bill Nye the Science Guy, of course!

Comment by EE – September 4, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best all around cast they’ve had in a while! And at least four of the stars have some sort of dancing/choreography experience, that I’m aware of, which should make for some interesting competition.

Comment by Thea – September 4, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Correction needed in the slideshow. You have Leah’s name as Lean. And I thought Maks was returning this season?? Wonder what happened there. Bill Nye should be interesting….looks like he already has good dance posture and form.

Comment by Alichat – September 4, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Nye The Science Guy? That’s enough to have me watch this season (although the rest of the cast is actually one of the better ones in recent years)

Comment by CJS – September 4, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little confused on the no results show. So potentially one couple will prepare for a whole week for the next show and then not even perform?

Comment by Heather – September 4, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’ll probably be formatted the same or similar to the So You Think You Can Dance elimination system. They preform each week, then combine judges votes from both weeks and audience votes from the previous week and then the stars are eliminated at the end of the show.

Comment by texaslas – September 4, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “A pair will be cut at the end of each Monday episode by combining the judges’ scores for the night with [viewers'] votes from the previous week.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 4, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also supper annoying that some of the women “Stars” took their promotional pictures in fashion heels rather than the dance shoes they will perform in. They are supposed to be going out of their comfort zone. Duh.

Comment by Heather – September 4, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its just a promo photo. It’s not like they’ll be dancing in them.

Comment by DJ – September 4, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Tristan can’t catch a break..lol

Comment by Jared – September 4, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is AWEFUL!!!! It was lackluster and I was on the fence about watching and then I saw “Snooki”. My god, why would anyone watch that? Talk about making the human race dumber. Obviously, once DWTS got Valerie Harper, they stopped trying to get stars figuring that she’ll be enough of a draw. So sad. And last season was great too. I’ll catch up on household projects instead.

Comment by Paige – September 4, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprisingly good cast! Don’t normally watch this show, but I may have to tune in for this cycle. Good job, DWTS.

Comment by Volcfom – September 4, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Tristan once again gets the oldest partner? Man. At least he’ll be a good sport about it.

Comment by Jaime – September 4, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tristan is from my hometown in Ireland. So always root for him and his celeb partner. He always seems to get the older ladies as a partner though!

Also judging by the photo’s Jack Osbourne will be rubbish. Looks so uncomfortable and out of his depth already!!!!

Comment by Sarah – September 4, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But Crobin Bleu doesn’t dance???!

Comment by Hsm2joke – September 4, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see what you did there ;)

Comment by Thea – September 4, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a suggestion for a prediction poll. On the chance that Bill Nye does at least somewhat decent… which just will be the first to call him ‘The Dancing Guy’?

Comment by DreamRose311 – September 4, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *that’s which JUDGE, not just…

Comment by DreamRose311 – September 4, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who is the second saved by the Bell cast member? I only see Elizabeth Berkeley.

Comment by Matt – September 4, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leah Remini was in the “Saved by the Bell does 90210″ episodes where they worked at a beach club.

Comment by jar – September 4, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, I forgot that she was on the beach club season. :)

Comment by Matt – September 4, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leah Remini played Stacey Carosi the summer they worked at the beach club. She was Zack’s love interest.

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it just me or does Elizabeth Berkeley look like Chelsea Handler in that picture?

Comment by scooby – September 4, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good cast this year. Lots of the “stars” have some kind of dancing experience which is great.

Comment by cdeno – September 4, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over-under on how long it takes Bill Nye to dance to “She Blinded Me With Science?”

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – September 4, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahahahaha, YES :D! If this doesn’t happen, I will be so disappointed.

Comment by Angela – September 4, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m rooting for amber riley and bill nye.

Comment by vanessa – September 4, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bets on Bill Nye’s song during at least 1 performance being “Blinded Me with Science”… So rad.

Comment by Kim – September 4, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m calling Corbin Bleu/Karina and Amber Riley/Derek as the F2, with Amber/Derek as the champs. Because they just can’t resist giving Derek the best partners and all the trophies… Awesome. Except not. And I will be tuning out again…

Comment by Amie – September 4, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is Amber a shoo-in to win? She was never one of the more talented dancers on Glee.

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although Amber was on a show where she had to dance, she wasn’t known for her dancing abilities. They might have actually given Derek a challenge. But then he does all the over the top stuff the judges love and they over score him. I think they will go far, but not win. I think it might come down to Corbin and Elizabeth.

Comment by Jenny – September 4, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snooki??? Ick. But I guess she needs a new place to get drunk and throw up. The bars won’t let her in.

Comment by humphrey8 – September 4, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Osborne has MS so good for him but can’t stand him. Corbin looks like he’s 50!

Comment by Chablis – September 4, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I like about this cast is that you have two ringers; one on each side. You have Corbin for the guys, and Christina Milian on the ladies.

It’s going to be an interesting season — that’s for sure.

Comment by Debbie Schechter – September 4, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll DVR it for Brant Daugherty. I love him.

Comment by Steven – September 4, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched this show regularly but with this cast I just may. Bill Nye alone gets me to at least check it out.

Comment by Lilacbarries – September 4, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like alot of fun. No need to “attend” a season-long wedding weekend when we could be “Dancing”…

Comment by april-ann – September 4, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch this show, but I don’t like the idea of Elizabeth Berkley being on it. We all know what happens when she has to make a dance video. It usually leads to a dependency on caffeine pills and I just don’t feel like we should be supporting her being put in that position again.

Comment by Drew – September 4, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, she should be fine as long as she isn’t also having to study for some tests right?

Comment by DreamRose311 – September 4, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess. But why test fate?

Comment by Drew – September 4, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will forever love her partner if they do a dance to I’m So Excited and she’s in a grey sweatshirt with the neck cutoff and legwarmers.

Comment by Meg – September 4, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually going to have to watch this. Too good to pass up. Amber, Leah, Snookie, Corbin, Valerie…yeap. I’ll be there…

Comment by Babygate – September 4, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good cast! Can’t wait for the premiere!

Comment by Lorie – September 4, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched DWTS, but I’m considering giving it a try due to the cast. Since there will only be one episode per week, it’ll be less of a commitment.

Comment by Kat – September 4, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Amber Riley and will root for her all season…..but can I say how refreshing it is that Derek did not get the 100 pound celebrity with a “not ballroom” dance/athletic background?!
    WOW to Valerie Harper, she is so strong and so courageous. Seriously, Corbin Bleu has been on Broadway AND has professional dance training! He worked with KennybOrtega for years on HSM. Same goes with Christina Zmilian. BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY….YES!

Comment by Sarah – September 4, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What no love or recognition for OLTL & Army Wives?!
    Corbin Bleu also from OLTL