It's Official: True Blood End Date Set, Season 7 Will Be Sookie's Swan Song

True Blood Cancelled Fangs for the memories: As we hinted last week, True Blood‘s upcoming seventh season will indeed be the show’s last, HBO confirmed Tuesday.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

True Blood has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO,”  said HBO’s president of programming Michael Lombardo in a statement. “Alan Ball took the books by Charlaine Harris, assembled a brilliant cast led by the magnificent Anna Paquin in the role of Sookie Stackhouse, and crafted a show that has taken its many devoted fans on an unforgettable journey. Alan passed the baton to Brian Buckner, who led our fantastic writers and crew in crafting a spectacular sixth season, and he will lead us through the seventh and final season of this amazing show. Together with its legions of fans, it will be hard to say goodbye to the residents of Bon Temps, but I look forward to what promises to be a fantastic final chapter of this incredible show.”

RELATED | Did Eric Die? True Blood Boss Reveals Alexander Skarsgard’s Season 7 Fate

Buckner, meanwhile, thanked “the most passionate fans in television” and promised to “do our very best to bring Sookie’s story to a close with heart, imagination and, of course, fun.”

True Blood‘s polarizing Season 6 finale on Sunday drew 4.1 million viewers, down from both its season opener (which drew 4.5 mil) and its Season 5 finale (5 mil).

True Blood‘s 10-episode farewell season will premiere in summer 2014.

Thoughts? Disappointed? Relieved? Care you share your wish list of things that must happen before the show fades to black? Hit the comments!

1. melissa steinberg says:

Im going to miss trueblood have been there from first epiosde I just hope they make the last season end with a bang hope they get sookie and bill back together in the end I really hope they didnt kill eric he is way to hot to die

2. Tiana says:

I loved and still l

3. Tiana says:

I loved and still love the show, I wish it wasn’t ending, I was hoping they would put a sexy Quinn tiger in it , but I do love Alcide. I also do like the books, but understand why the show didn’t follow them. I will miss Bill,Sookie, Pam and who isn’t gonna miss the incredibly Handsome Eric. I hope Sookie ends up with whom ever makes her happy on the show and if it’s not right now Eric I call dibs. Lol

4. danitsia says:

ERIC AND SOOKIE…. that’s what most of us want. GIVE US ERIC AND SOOKIE ENDING… Eric is one of the most powerful vampires of all the vampire characters, the Sheriff of Area 5 and an astute businessman with wealth and riches. Sookie doesn’t want a “plain Jane” life, she never has. She’s always felt different and her telepathy to her was always a CURSE — until she met Eric, Eric showed her the beauty of her differences and that instantly bonded them together. He said to her, “Just look at what you can do!” Bill was just the first guy she met that she couldn’t read his thoughts… Bill never made her feel special — not just different — but special. Eric did. Eric would die for her, but would choose to have them both live whenever possible. He’s not dumb! No one wants to DIE. But if there was no other choice, he would and has stepped in front of death for her.

• s&eatotl says:

Sookie will throw away her superpowers and settle for Sam. She’ll be “friends” with her rapist Bill. Eric will take off for parts unknown with his “romantic” lesbian Pam and the suddenly-majorly-important Willa.

5. Me says:

Let’s see True Blood:
    It literally sucks. Trash. Rotten acting. Terrible writing. Garbage smut and violence without reason. Just a piece of smoldering crap. Good riddance.

6. Jewiano says:

Noooo Ooooh please don’t end this amazing show I have been a fan since season one and I am truly devastated by this!!!!

7. Kim says:

I am very disappointed that the show is ending. , I was anxiously looking forward to many more seasons. Please don’t end!!!!

8. Sarah says:

I am very disappointed that it is ending.I having ben watching True Blood since the beginning please reconsider we really enjoy that show

9. Monica Foster says:

No it can’t end :'( they need to make more episodes. I don’t think I could handle not seeing new episodes each year.

10. christie says:

I honestly hate to see this show end..my sister and I watch this show together. We both hope hbo reconsiders this decision. That Many viewers can’t be wrong please keep it going…

11. Mehraj says:

Good riddance to this show actually ending. I used to love True Blood during the first two seasons; the story lines were very top notch and had me wanting more. Since Season 3, this show has jumped the shark miserably. The only reason I even stuck around for Season 3 was for Eric & Sookie. I didn’t care at all for that nonsensical werewolf storyline, and Russell Edgington was a bland villain; I barely noticed him. Season 4 was a slight improvement, but only because I loved Eric & Sookie that season as well as the Antonia storyline with a side of Jason & Jessica’a romance. I don’t remember anything else good in that season. Season 5 was absolutely blasphemy; there wasn’t a single episode I liked that season. There was no clear villain that season, and every single storyline (minus Jason’s) was terrible. Season 6 was slightly better, but still terrible. These are the reasons for why I felt the show went downhill;
    1) Every character has a storyline – some of the storylines aren’t even relevant. A good example of this would be Andy’s fairy daughter storyline. Why in the world did that storyline exist? What purpose did it even serve? It was such a filler storyline. I should also include Sam’s shapeshifter storyline as well as Alcide’s werewolf storyline in that equation too.
    2) Some storylines have gone on for too long. Alcide & Sam’s storylines are good examples of that. Alcide’s werewolf storyline was 3 seasons ago, and Sam’s shapeshifter just keeps getting more and more boring by the minute.
    3) Characters getting ruined. I don’t even like Eric all that much anymore, which is sad because he used to be my favorite on this show. Tara might never have been my favorite, but she was better in the early seasons than in the later seasons, and Jessica became so lame in these past few seasons. I loved her in the early seasons.
    4) Hardly any Bill/Sookie/Eric action. As annoying as this triangle may have been to some people, this is what kept the show going and invoked emotions out of me; I want this show to invoke emotions out of me.
    5) The villains suck. The old villains such as Mary Anne and Rene were actually good. Russell Edgington bores me to tears. Marnie was annoying. I don’t care for Billith or Lillith or whatever she was, and Warlow or Sarah Newlin were a j

12. Mehraj says:

(continued) a joke. There are even times when I can’t even tell who the villains are because the writing is so bad. I will watch Season 7 simply because it’s the last season. I have no reason to be excited for this mess of a show. I am simply going to watch this show because I have to. If I’ve seen the other seasons, I might as well catch this one.

13. chloe says:

Love true blood ,true blood Lovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrssssss hop e eric and sukie could have sex but he dies

14. If Eric isn’t dead…please, please, please write Godric into a few episodes!

15. Angela says:

Yes i’m very disappointed. Why would you take off one of the best shows that has been put on tv? It couldn’t have been the rating, because they were over the top. There wasn’t much i cared to watch on sunday night, now you have ruined that.

16. Kath says:

There will be season 8 I know

17. joe mama says:

dsfasdfasdf

18. Charlotte says:

actually im pissed,,im fed up with everybody cancelling the great shows and handing us more crappy reality shows,,if i want reality i would turn the tv off completely

• ….if it could get back to the roots a bit: Maybe a bit more “Merlottes Bar,” maybe a bit more mystery where you didn’t quite know “Who was who” (or What was what), that might invigorate it a bit. Some folks say yeah, it’s time to go; the storylines are becoming thin & predictable (paraphrasing), etc. SO – Who’s on board to celebrate the cultural icon’s “Simpson’s” TWENTY-SIXTH season next year? (tongue-in-cheek).

19. Joyce says:

I’m really sad. This is a tragedy. Where am I going to see a crap ton of hot guys in all the same place.

20. Ida Williams says:

I’ll miss this show and sad to see it go. I hope the ending will be better than the ending of Lost another good series. I was hoping for 12 episodes but oh well. There is really nothing that captures my interest on HBO unless someone else has any suggestions. I guess I Wii be tuning in to Orange is the new black.

21. Kathleen Dunbar says:

The book and the series are different and compliment each other brilliantly. 7 seasons is a perfect amount and I am sure they will end it with True Blood swag! I am sad but hoping that a new supernatural series will be born after this. A series based on the Laurel K. Hamilton Vampire Hunter series WOULD BE PERFECT!!

22. Marc says:

It’s upsetting my favorite show is ending next year. I typically like to see a series last a decade. I think that gives it finality, but networks care about making money now and not about quality shows. I’ve always had a lust for vampyr lore. I’d love to see a spin off of this show in some way. I think people would love to see the story of Eric as a Viking and his travels with Godric. That story has so many places to go.

23. jean says:

i love true blood but i was totally and utterly let down by the last series/episode thought it was clearly rushed!

24. marc menace says:

everybody is putting down sam about the whole nicole/luna situation but what about sookie? she is a complete whore! gave it to warlow after like 2 days! cant make up her mind about eric or bill and ended up with alcide after no one else wanted her! i cheered when sam shut her down after she popped up unannounced and hit him with the ” i choose you cause no one i wanted chose me” routine! sookie is loose and far from innocent!

• s&eatotl says:

Stepford Sookie will settle for Seal Sex Sam at the last possible second so maybe the Willing Doormat and the Backburner Misogynistic Bore really ARE “perfect” for each other after all! :)

25. chelsea says:

honestly i’m very angry with this why cant they end the show at season 8 or 9 if they’re so creative they should be able to its so captivating and puts me on the edge of my seat its surprising and they should continue with it

26. I HATE TO SEE TRUE BLOOD BE DONE WITH :(
    it was a good one !!
    I thought eric & sookie shouldve lasted, bill is no good & alcide has with own problems & warlow … i just dont like (haha) forreal though! season 7 should be a f*cking good one!

27. Lisa says:

Ok..here’s mu in put…I’ve never read the books, but got hooked on the show. I had no idea about the show until season 2 or 3 and I watched them all in 3 nights, addicted!!! It’s a great show, but I would like to see a romantic love between Bill and Sookie (so disappointed about them!). I HATE that HBO is taking this show off!!! It’s one of the best shows I’ve watched on HBO!!! Seriously!!! Please consider to keep it HBO!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

28. Jessica Lescord says:

I am seriously not happy about show ending they should have done something totally different with Season 6 then and atleast done the 12 episodes i will be cancelling HBO tomorrow this is BS!!! They should have focused more on the fairy aspect then if it wasnt going to last! If its the end i will just wait to buy it im not waiting until summer to watch it when its just going to end!!! There is sooo many things unanswered in the series still i guess im down to just my CW shows!!! And of course The Walking Dead… So NOT HAPPY!!!

29. Kayla P says:

I can’t believe it’s almost over. 7 seasons and it’s done? I’m sure there’s more that can be covered.. what happens to Sam and Nicole? & what happens with Arlene and the kids since Terry is gone? & what happens to Andy and Adaline? There’s so much that can be covered!! Come on, don’t end it already. I’m a 100% fan. I haven’t missed an episode! I spent 3 endless days and nights watching season 6 at one time. It can’t be over :(

30. Holly says:

I have been a dedicated fan since the start, Although season 5 was a little bit of a let down i still appreciate the story and cast. I am so gutted its coming to an end.. i could easily watch this for 4 or so more years.. Sookie has always annoyed me.. but all the other characters were fantastic! :( i hope season 7 uncovers all answers and ends with a bang!! <3 TeamEric!!!!!!!!!

31. Angel says:

BIG D*TV == better listen up == after 12 years of having movie channels for the sole purpose of watching Dexter, Spartacus (before Andy Whitfield died), and True Blood. Now that they are all gone , guess I’ll be getting basic cable and spending my $ elsewhere.

32. Alex says:

Nooooooooooooooooo tell me it’s not so don’t take TRUE BLOOD AWAY don’t do it

33. Chereise says:

The show started to disappoint the more they strayed from the books! I was so sad that my addiction was slowly being destroyed! I check the book store regularly for a new sookie book they are heartening and fill any void in which you may find yourself lacking… But the show oh my and I loved it at first what the heck went wrong? Was it trying to keep Stephen Moyer in the story bcuz of Anna? Who knows? But even tho I hated the random un-book related show I still watched for hope that finally I’d see Sookie with Eric!

34. Chereise says:

Still want more tho!

35. Debbie says:

I absolutely love this show I’m so addicted! I don’t agree that’s it has gone down hill at all I’m currently watching season 5! I am a bit disappointed to know that it will all be over after season 7 :( I hope Alcide & Sookie hook up & for Jason to only get funnier he is by far my favorite character on the show!! Pleaseee make more seasons

36. kristina says:

Truely hate that they would cancel true blood this has been my favourite show since season one

37. Kim says:

I’m already miserable knowing season 7 will be the last! It’s one of the only programs I enjoy watching.
    As for Eric, omg what a body:-) he’ll be back I’m sure. I’d like Bill and sookie to get back together and Jason with Jessica. Pam should stay with Eric as it’s clear she loves him.
    I just love the show and I’ve a good mind to buy the box set and start all over:-) )))

38. raul says:

bueno para mi toda las temporadas serán inolvidables, cada episodio era como una dosis embriagante que me tenia a la expectativa al terminar pienso comprar los libros.

39. effie says:

Noooo!!! I love True Blood. It is a nice get away!!! I am truly devastated that the series will end… I never get attached to a television show… And this is the exact reason why, you get stuck on watching a show and anticipating the next series and dumb asses have to cancel it. For the sake of HBO find a series and stick to it stop canceling shows I will never purchase HBO again. Congratulations HBO you just lost out on my 18 dollars a month. I’m sure you have lost a lot of others money too.. Keep up the good work and Starz will be putting y’all to shame!

40. matthew says:

season 1 ..was epic..
    season 2 ..maybe the best season (my fave anyway)
    season 3 aweson
    season 4 ..loved it aswell (really good season i thought)
    season 5 ..least fave..(and the worse season)
    and half way though season 6 …and its amazing again..and just hoping season 7 is epic! and a massive end to the series!!
    great series id watch again!!

41. JoAnn says:

How could you do this. This is my favorite show of all time. I wait every year for it to start again. I will be totally lost without these characters I’ve come to love.

42. Jeremy says:

Eric better not be dead

43. jade says:

Am I the only one who will be glad for it to finish coz they’ve just been plodding along the last couple of seasons, they’ve had a couple of good scenes and lines but it’s just been stupid, like in season 6 when luna had just died in sams arms but 2 days later he’s doin some chick who’s boyfriend was just murdered and now there in love how pathetic!! and wen Jessica had to have sex with that hot guy(not that I blame her he was hot!) who one minute was british the next minute was American. and the whole warlow thing was just stupid!! and andy’s daughter was a little slut you’d think that after seeing her sisters murdered and she was nearly herself that she’d be more cautious, just bad writing man, and I am sick of sookie or should I say anna paquin why couldn’t they have picked a prettier actress to play sookie, in the books she’s described as pretty anna paquin….not at all why all the close-ups on her ick!! also why am I the ONLY ONE!!! to notice/comment on the fact that you see ALEXANDER SKARGAARDS PENIS IN SEASON 6 EPISODE 10!!

44. Dionne says:

Lots of love from the Uk don’t know what I am gonna do without you.Make it a happy ending for those who have had nothing but bad luck through the whole series 1-6

45. Anaaaaa says:

This really does not sit well with me…. True Blood is the best thing happening on TV for the whole year… I wish they wouldn’t cancel it…

46. Tare says:

Will love too see Sookie and Bill come back together in the finale season. Love Alcide buy Love Bill more

47. Mary Lou says:

I’m truly sorry to see this show end already. I thought we might have 2 more seasons. But PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT end with Sookie and Sam together. How boring!!! Alcide would be OK but I would prefer to see her with Eric or Bill (in that order).

48. SabrinaC says:

So sad to say goodbye. True Blood was my absolute favourite show, I can only hope that Eric and Sookie can find their way back to each other and be together happily ever after if there is any happiness in a supernatural world

49. Laura says:

True Blood is about one of the only tv series I now watch as I find to many others are commercialized. Instead of cancelling the show perhaps you should cancel whoever wrote season 5 and bring in new writers instead. Putting all the focus on the authority & religion instead of the characters & small town that the audience originally fell in love with is what lost the show viewers. But To cancel a show like this that has a steady stream of fans and followers is just purely idiotic. After having so many successful seasons why would you cancel it for 1 poor one? President of HBO programming Michael Lombardo needs to remember that its us viewers that make programmes and channels popular by us viewing them. And to cancel a popular series before its at its end & try replace it with an inferior programme will not only have viewers irritated & disappointed but will also have them changing to another channel. Then your ratings really will suffer!! We all know that shows eventually have a finale and come to an end but a series like this should be seen out to the end and followed through to the end of the stories. It’s a sad day when people can’t even watch a favoured series come to completion because one guy wants to air something else. What about the millions of fans across the globe who have followed this series from the very beginning shouldn’t they have a say in whether its canceled early or not!! Lastly its an insult to your viewers to finish on 10 episodes instead of 12, after regularly tuning in for 6 seasons, the fans deserve better.