It's Official: True Blood End Date Set, Season 7 Will Be Sookie's Swan Song

Get More: Cancellations

True Blood Cancelled Fangs for the memories: As we hinted last week, True Blood‘s upcoming seventh season will indeed be the show’s last, HBO confirmed Tuesday.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

True Blood has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO,”  said HBO’s president of programming Michael Lombardo in a statement. “Alan Ball took the books by Charlaine Harris, assembled a brilliant cast led by the magnificent Anna Paquin in the role of Sookie Stackhouse, and crafted a show that has taken its many devoted fans on an unforgettable journey. Alan passed the baton to Brian Buckner, who led our fantastic writers and crew in crafting a spectacular sixth season, and he will lead us through the seventh and final season of this amazing show. Together with its legions of fans, it will be hard to say goodbye to the residents of Bon Temps, but I look forward to what promises to be a fantastic final chapter of this incredible show.”

RELATED | Did Eric Die? True Blood Boss Reveals Alexander Skarsgard’s Season 7 Fate

Buckner, meanwhile, thanked “the most passionate fans in television” and promised to “do our very best to bring Sookie’s story to a close with heart, imagination and, of course, fun.”

True Blood‘s polarizing Season 6 finale on Sunday drew 4.1 million viewers, down from both its season opener (which drew 4.5 mil) and its Season 5 finale (5 mil).

True Blood‘s 10-episode farewell season will premiere in summer 2014.

Thoughts? Disappointed? Relieved? Care you share your wish list of things that must happen before the show fades to black? Hit the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (388)

• well, it’s no totally a surprise, but i expected to end in Season 8. Anyway, hope it will be a great season, and a great finale. I will miss True Blood.

Comment by seriessllex – September 3, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They don’t want to move forward with a Season Eight and beyond. Just HBO’s decision.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – September 3, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks!!!! There were sooooooo many moments and characters from the books that would have been awesome seen come to life on tv. :( Im really really disappointed. I think they are ending it to soon. I think When Allan Ball left I had a feeling this would happen, and sure enough. This sucks, Im really not happy. :(

Comment by Jenny – September 3, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total number of True Blood episodes in its seven year run: 80.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – September 3, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is just so sad it sucks :(

Comment by cindy – September 3, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should end it with 12 episodes.Lets all write Michael Lombardo the CEO of HBO and demand our 12 episodes.There is no way you can end the series right with only 10 episodes. Cheap Bastards!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Tonya – September 3, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love True Blood. I love Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series, and I love the TV program as well, albeit for different reasons. Season 5 was rough, season 6 improved on matters, and I can only hope that they can end the series in such a way that we get closure, yet leaving a niggling suspicion that where there be Vampires, there be strife, adventure, and bloodshed. I can’t imagine Bon Temps with a happily ever after… anything too cut and dried won’t work.

Comment by Mikisew – September 3, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I can’t believe it.

Comment by Justin Burnell – September 3, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss my naked Viking! :(

Comment by AndieCA – September 3, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am just getting into true blood. i am sad :(

Comment by laurel best (@loveylab23) – September 3, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they at least give it the typical 12 episodes of seasons 1-5?

Comment by Jillian – September 3, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed. I really love this show and I was hoping it would beat the odds and last for more than 7 seasons. But oh well, I just hope they end it on a good note and not kill off everyone like some shows do. I feel that sookie will probably become vampire or die..lol

Comment by Kristin – September 3, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad… I was hoping for 2 more seasons… Just hoping for some Eric/Sookie in the end! After what Charlaine Harris did to us Team Eric fans in the last book, I hope the True Blood writers won’t follow in her footsteps.

Comment by Romy – September 3, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True Blood/Brian Buckner WILL follow in Charlaine Harris’ footsteps. They already are.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the series finale would be more better than the series finale from the book. i want Sookie alone or maybe she could leave Bon Temps as Claire Fisher from Six Feet Under

Comment by Fernanda – September 3, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sookie will never leave that evil boring snake pit Bon Temps.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a surprise really. The actors’ contracts are up at the end of next season, and it’s unlikely that the Big Three were going to sign new deals. Announcing it now allows the writers to wrap things up over the ten episodes instead of the last one or two, or not at all.

Comment by bbussey – September 3, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I knew that the only way it would go past Season 7 would be if Anna and Stephen and Alex resigned. The end of the series has nothing to do with the ratings, but the lead actors no longer wanting to do the show. The same happened with Sex and the City and The Sopranos.

All good train wrecks come to an end.

Comment by stefystef – September 4, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad :( tb seems to be running out of steam anyway. It is better to end a show before it goes totally down the toilet. It always seemed to me that Eric cared for sookie more than her other suitors. How would that work though? She really doesnt want to be a vampire. unless she gets into a horrible accident where the only way to save her is to turn her. Than she can be with Eric. Who knows. Just make it good Buckner.12 eps please!!

Comment by PamN – September 3, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is plenty of fan fiction that will give you lots of storylines to choose from. My SVM fics are up on alphafang.wordpress.com. You can follow the links I have listed to read other authors’ works as well. Fan fiction saved me from bitter disappointment caused by Alan B and CH. give it a try, hope it’ll help

Comment by AlphaEN – September 8, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit! And instead of giving Sam and Sookie a chance, they have her with that asshole Alcide

Comment by bcjsdbruhuioohj – September 3, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He, warum so fies zu Alcide? Er kann doch weder was für die Macher von HBO noch für die Drehbücher. schätze, du bist ein Kerl und hast deshalb was gegen Alcide.bzw Joe Manganiello..ich kenne viele(Männer&Frauen) die Alcide gut oder sogar klasse finden. Du mußt ihn nicht lieben, klar aber ihn als Arschloch zu bezeichnen ist doch heftig. Meine Meinung

Comment by mekare – September 5, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam is Sookie’s endgame.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. After watching our Eric burn and read they’ll be going in a triangle with Sookeh, Beel and Alcide I’m officially over it… I’m 100% positive Sookeh and Beel will be together by the 10th episode. I hope to see more of these actors in future projects. I can def see Ryan on some comedy show. I’d love a spin off with Eric and Pam but I know its not going to happen so I wish nothing but the best for Alex and his future movie career. He’s a great actor so hopefully things will start to turn around for him in that area :) Honestly, the only one I even care about now is Eric’s ending so hopefully our sexy viking has a good ending on TB <3

Comment by S – September 3, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it ends like the books with Sookie dying

Comment by DrusillaHemlock (@DrusillaHemlock) – September 3, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically, Sookie didn’t die in the last book. She didn’t give a crap about her Great Love Eric Northman getting sold off into two hundred years of sexual slavery. She made nice with her serial rapist Bill. And she settled for Seal Sex Sam and birthing his puppies. And hating all supes. And hating herself. It took Charlaine Harris thirteen novels, almost twenty short stories, a companion, a coda, and a STILL unreleased collection of officially sanctioned fan fiction to get to that “brilliant” ending. And it looks like Brian Buckner is following in Charlaine Harris’ rapist apologist, domestic violence excusing, retconning footsteps. Thanks for nothing.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Eric and his vampires can get a spinoff show since he will be off on his own storyline next season. Season 6 had potential but got lost along the way the only scenes worth watching were the Eric, Pam, Tara, and Willa Vamp Camp scenes. I truly didn’t see the show going beyond the 7th season only because the vision behind True Blood was lost in the chaos and lack of creativity of the writers, producers, and show runners. I would love for it to be future seasons but the show has to be controlled by someone that cares.

Comment by aolani08 – September 3, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Karolin Wydra (Violet) must be the new kiss of death of TV shows. She joined House and it got cancelled. She joins TB and it gets cancelled. If i were a showrunner i would think twice before hiring her XD

Comment by Beth – September 4, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Karolina Wydra = Kiss of Death of Formerly Great TV Shows. Karolina Wydra is the new Ted McGinley. Someone tell Jon Hein of Jump the Shark and The Howard Stern Show!

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad :(

Comment by Lisa – September 4, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as the story was getting back on track, focusing on the characters and relationships instead of just mindless blood spatter. I hope it gets the send-off it deserves.

Comment by nellibly – September 4, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be hoping for Eric, but a part of me also thinks she would be totally awesome saying no to all of the guys and just stay single..hope the last season gets to be an awesome one. Season 4 for me totally rocked!

Comment by Jo – September 4, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED the first two-thirds of season 4 and s2 and s3 because of Sookie/Eric.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES I can finally stop watching this horrible show!!!!!!!!!!! I have been asking for it to be canceled for a few years now and finally my wish has come true. True Blood was awesome for a few seasons and than became my least favorite HBO series of all time and many feel the same way just check the ratings.

Comment by Chris – September 4, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved this show even through its rough patches (ahem, S5 and S6), but the most upsetting thing is that NOW WE ARE STUCK WITH THE CRAP STORYLINES IN THE TIME JUMP. Terrible. I was hoping for two more seasons to allow for those awful ideas to be used up and put to rights again, but we will have to deal with this I suppose. Oh and hey Buckner, no one is interested in a Sookie/Alcide/Bill triangle – try again.

Comment by Faster – September 4, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must be the only person who actually liked Season 6. I was actually back into the show and felt it was redeemable- until the end. As crazy as it sounds, I really look forward to Season 7. Going out with a BANG!

Comment by stefystef – September 4, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes bill alcide sookie love triangle overdone I still am not over Eric and Skokie

Comment by Soo sad – September 4, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sookie will settle for Seal Sex Sam at the last possible second in the series finale, after she throws away her fairy powers and makes nice with her “redeemed” abuser Bill. No thank you, HBO.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Alcide is almost as horrible as Boring Abuser Bill. Joe Manganiello’s eight-pack does not disguise the fact that Alcide is a boring abuser too.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Three words… Lafayette spin-off.

Comment by D. Marie (@iB_dmarie) – September 4, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a real shame that the show story line did not stay true to the books. I really believe had it, it would be around 13 or 14 seasons ….

Comment by Cheryl – September 4, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • only 10 episodes? come on HBO! season 6 was such a big improvement over season 5 [not perfect of course, but definitely better]. I have high hopes for season 7.

Comment by guest – September 4, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad I really loved the show and was faithful in watching all episodes of all seasons I wanted 2 more at least until something could replace it on hbo since there is nothing I will be canceling hbo. I hate it also I believe the actors that refused to sign will end up regretting it. Very sad news

Comment by Soo sad – September 4, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it on your first try, don’t worry. It may take practice. For a tip, use it on easier things first think of it like levels on a game. You’ll get experienced at it.Witchcraft is a science and power of subconscious mind plays a very important role, as you take the assistance of your subconscious mind and achieves whatever you want.

Comment by Baba Shiv Shankar Tantrik – September 5, 2013 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks HBO and the President that made this decsion to cancel a show that still has so much more to it than what was written the past two seasons because it let me know as a fan how you feel about my support in watching the show. Thanks to the actors of True Blood for your hard work and for doing a great job in the mist of chaos (Show Runner changes). I believe if the actors didn’t want to do the show anymore or let the show define who they are as an actor then they shouldn’t have misled so many viewers and allowed the truth to be told at comic con. Was this decision based off the outrage people had over the waste of two powerful characters in season 6? Niall and Warlow story lines could have been useful. Niall could have in depth helped Sookie with her powers during the time Eric and his vampires were fighting in vamp camp. Bill could have also used that time to find someone worthy to replicate a better blood but the writers chose to make him looked like he sucked on lemons all season. Some people only paid for HBO to watch True Blood and HBO is pricey. Some people didn’t want to watch the same story and only wanted something different for a change than Bill and Sookie. Alexander Skarsgard and Kristen garnered so much fan support because their roles were the only ones that were constantly changing on the show.

Comment by aolani08 – September 5, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get a Lafayette spin off series PLEASE?!!!!

Comment by Lola – September 5, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they cutting the episodes? Since they are cancelling it they should at-least extend the last season.Could another channel pick up True Blood **SHOWTIME** .The fans need something!

Comment by Brandy – September 5, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • es ist sehr schade, dass TB jetzt doch nach der 7. Staffel gekillt wird. Bin ehrlich gesagt, stinksauer auf die Macher bei HBO. erst die Mini-Staffel, dann Eric´s Beinahe-Tod&jetzt die Krönung der Frechheit: Aus nach 7. Staffeln. Wird jetzt noch schnell alles irgendwie zusammengemischt, damit man ein halbwegs vernüftiges Schlußbild bekommt? Wäre es nicht besser gewesen, evtl. die Zuschauer zu fragen, ob sie nicht noch 1, 2…Staffeln sehen wollen? Ich bedaure das Ende, hoffe aber noch ein ganz kleines Bisschen, dass doch noch etwas(1-2 Staffeln) nachkommen. BITTE HBO: Nicht aufhören! Ich vermisse Alcide&Eric schon jetzt, habe die 5. Staffel auf deutsch, warte sehnsüchtig auf Staffel 6!!!

Comment by mekare – September 5, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my favorite series of all time! I am really disappointed but do understand that everything comes to an end. I have been a die hard fan
    since the first season.. and every season has been outstanding. The cast.. the writing.,, there will never be a better series..

Comment by The Neenster – September 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Show coming to an end was kinda predictable. I mean the show lost some, okay to me kind of a lot, of it’s bite from the earlier seasons. Plus the viewership numbers dropped significantly. And some storylines were just plain stupid…

Comment by Christin H. – September 5, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good seasons, bad seasons, whose to say what’s good or bad? All in all the show entertained my imagination beyond what I thought possible as an adult. Every Sunday night was my and my wife’s to get lost in a fascinating world of vampires and the unknown. We are very sad to see it cancelled and I would like to thank the writers for a fun and entertaining experience.

Comment by Robert Black – September 6, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that it should end without anything left out, I also believe that Warlo deserves mire screen time, how Warlo died was too easy and he was a cool character. I think it should end with action and blood and it should be sad but make you happy at the same time. And a major character i bet is gonna die too, i hope they end it decent, and they should do 12 eoisodes or maybe more, just cause its the final season,

Comment by Dylan – September 6, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brainmates.wordpress.com has a nice fanfiction titled “Just a Little Heat”. There are others about season 7 but this one will make all the Eric and Sookie fans not even care that Sookie is going to wind up with Bill during True Blood season 7. Sookie is like the Sookie in season 6 episode 1 and the story does her character justice.

Comment by aolani08 – September 8, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love true blood. would have like to see more episodes for this las season. so many characters.. and sookie and eric should be together cuz he loves and cares for her.

Comment by maline – September 9, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the way the show ended season 6 except for Eric possibly meeting the true death, I wish the books had ended this way except for Eric if that part would’ve been different they shoulda canceled this season. I don’t know how they can top Season 6 unless Sookie & Eric do end up together happily ever after, if not I would rather see her with Alcide!!!!!

Comment by Lee – September 9, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to be different without True Blood.I didn’t like the way season 6 ended.Too many things going on.Since when did Sam have a goofy accent?What about the zombie looking vampires? I’ve been a devoted fan and will still miss the show.

Comment by kathy – September 9, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel bad sometimes because I was one of the people highly upset about Eric and wondering if the actors quit or got fired. The show do have a lot of stories left but it’s also left up to creativity and if the actors really want to do the show anymore. Unfortunately as viewers we will never know but on the upside I’m hoping someone buy the rights to the show or a spin off is in the works if not the Originals and Dracula will be my go to show. Brainmates.wordpress.com “Just a little Heat” is a wonderful story about season 7.

Comment by aolani08 – September 10, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anna Pacquin’s contract was for 7 seasons. It was a really good contract. I figured if Anna didn’t renew, then the show would be over (kinda like what happened with Sarah Jessica Parker decided to stop doing Sex and the City and ended the show). I also understand the other actors were ready to move on and not interested in signing up.

I will miss the show and it has had its high and low points, but I will miss the show.

BTW, Boardwalk Empire opened to lower ratings too. But I really feel that alot of people are watching bootleg on line and are not counted. For a show that had lower ratings, True Blood has generated nothing but more talk!

Comment by stefystef – September 10, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wasn’t thrilled with the “Walking Dead” ending either, but I will miss the show. There aren’t a lot of shows I miss when they go off the air. Spartacus is one of the shows I really miss and True Blood will be another.

Comment by stefystef – September 10, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It had to end sometime, but I disagree with notions that the show has gone “way downhill”. It’s still been consistently better than just about anything else on tv. And it’s held up better, and expanded better than a lot of other comparable shows.

I think people just love to complain, especially when it concerns a show like this where so many of the viewers become obsessed with a particular character or relationship and then throw a hissy fit when the plot doesn’t move forward in exactly the way their fan fiction predicted.

Comment by Dead – September 10, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why cancel it? Its weakest seasons: 5 and 6 and to some extent 4 are still good. It’s at least better than every season of stupid sexist shows like Game of Thrones combined. HBO should have cancelled Game of Thrones instead. I’m gonna miss Sam, Jason and all the others.

Comment by Elmo Emo – September 16, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss this series I do’ hope in the last season they address who was Rev Newlin’s maker, will Pam/Tara end up together? I hope they use the interesting and unique characters appropriately to send the series out with a big band.

Comment by nicey1205 – September 19, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be nice for the closure we as fans seek I think Tara and Pam would be nice however 10 episodes will probably leave us with more questions than answers

Comment by aolani08 – September 19, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 10 episodes is not enough!

Comment by stefystef – September 19, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok i love ture blood – i hate it be 7 to in the end it i mend i love the vamp in this tv slow not like twighlight i hate the vamp in it there gay and spkieing vamp i love ture blood vemp more ture way to kill thim sun hit the haert a siver like i said i love ture blood and an there 7 iam ture off HBO bec all the athere slow suck so ya bye HBO and i love you ture blood.

Comment by wolflove – September 20, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • аз много се надявам Суки да даде още един шанс на Ерик,та те изглеждат уникално заедно, а ако тя стане фея-вампир все пак, ще е още по яко. Той не е добър, той е забавен и зъл, а тя е му точната противоположност… ПРОТИВОПОЛОЖНОСТИТЕ СЕ ПРИВЛИЧАТ

Comment by Лина – September 23, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that they got away from the books, which I HATED. Hope Sookie doesn’t end up with ANYONE whose mind she can read.

Comment by Vickie Fox – September 25, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The current writers have given themselves a convenient deux ex machina “out” with Sookie’s “pesky” fairy powers with that fairy ball of light. Poof! Fairy powers gone! Now Sookie is no longer a mind reader, making her last-second ending with Seal Sex Sam all the more convenient. (There’s that word again.) Here’s another word: lazy.

Comment by s&eatotl – February 22, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show hats to see it end! Please give the fans a good send-off with a 2 hour end and Sookie with Eric and a glimpse into the characters 10 years later. Thanks for the years TB!

Comment by Kat – October 2, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worse side story was Terry and Arlene, I think. And that 2nd to the last episode about Terry’s funeral had the most boring parts. I was web surfing through those scenes and then when Bill and Eric would come back on to save the others from that research center, I would start watching again.

Comment by Mindy – October 3, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post