First Look: Check Out American Horror Story: Coven's Sssssensational Posssster

Talk about your Parseltongue.

The poster for American Horror Story: Coven is the rare effort that actually tries and succeeds in evoking a mood while also being, well, provocative.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Sons of Anarchy and 44 Other Returning Faves

The cast for the FX spookfest’s third chapter is heavy on the women — featuring the estimable likes of Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Angela Basset and Sarah Paulson — so it makes sense that the poster is populated by a trio of witchy women.

As for their slithery friend… perhaps Freud said it best: Sometimes a snake is just a snake.

RELATED | American Horror Story: Coven Sets Premiere Date, Raises ‘Stakes’ With Eerie New Teaser

What do you think of the Coven poster? (Click to zoom to full-size.)

American Horror Story Coven Poster

1. alistaircrane says:

The snake is a PENIS!!!!!!!!

2. Magically Suspicious says:

So excited!!!

3. A says:

So excited for Coven. I loved the first two installments but I hope they learned from some of the mistakes in Asylum. The whole alien plot was stupid and boring and never really made any sense to me. I liked everything else, but that was the worst part of the season. I hope they stick to a good overall plot and not have too many random things like that in it.

• K says:

How did the alien plot make no sense to you? No offense, but it was quite clear what was happening and if you couldn’t grasp that, i’m not sure you really got anything in the second season.

• Gerald says:

No need to be rude. A is right, the whole alien didn’t make much sense and it didn’t end up successfully connecting with the main plot.

• A says:

I did understand what was going on, but like @Gerald said, it just didn’t really connect well with the overall story and it felt like a waste of time.

• Stacie A says:

I really have to agree with what your saying here about the show the fist one was so good one of the first really good scary shows on t.v. I also agree with you on the second season it just didn’t turn out quite like I expected with the aliens but i hope that they make this season the best yet.

• But part of the show’s charm is its totally batsh*t, overloaded “more is more” approach. Subtlety and restraint are not in AHS’s bag of tricks.

4. This reminds me of the original True Blood poster with the white lady. Fantastic :3

5. WayneInNYC says:

Where is Frances Conroy’s name? Boooooo!

6. Ruth Ellen says:

HOLY S**T
    I don’t watch it simply becuz I don’t watch horror
    Movies :-) but this poster is sexy and awesome!
    Maybe I’ll be brave to watch it with one eye open

7. hipper says:

Evan Peters is the only dude in the billing… LOVES it.

8. Marco says:

Another story of witches where they’re all female. Seriously, originality; NIL.