Exclusive

Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 45 Returning Favorites!

A summer of spoilers, weeks of promos and many a night spent obsessively re-watching old episodes…. It has all come down to this, TVLiners: The fall TV season is finally upon us.

To celebrate the most wonderful time of the year, we’ve compiled a comprehensive rundown on 45 returning favorites — from The Vampire Diaries to Scandal, from NCIS to Sons of Anarchy — packed with exclusive scoop and photos you won’t find anywhere else.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Which rock-solid marriage will show signs of wear and tear? Who will do something terrible — and live to regret it? Which gory drama is about to get romantic? And who spent the summer in a catatonic state?!

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

TVLine’s Returning Favorites gallery has answers to those questions and more, plus 24 images you’ll only see here. So get clicking below, and if you’re still hungry for spoilers when you’re done, follow us on Twitter!

1. YES! Criminal Minds 200 is JJ-Centric. THAT IS WHY Criminal Minds is my favorite show. Erica Messer, I-LOVE-YOU! Can’t wait!!! <3

• I’m also really excited for this!! not only CM will reach a great landmark of 200 episodes but that 200 episode will be JJ centric? awesome! I love the character (and I really wanted to know what exactly was she doing over there)

• Beth says:

I wasn’t expecting the caring part of JJ’s relationship with the new section chief, after they said it wasn’t romantic, the way it was phrased was a little odd, so it’ll be interesting to see where they take the story line, I just hope they do JJ’s arc justice.

• Beth says:

Also, I’m really looking forwards to Garcis origin episode, I wanted them to look more into her hacking days since season3, so I’m glad they’re finally going back to it.

(And JJ’s time away from the BAU… It’s almost like they’ve remembered that they didn’t give us any follow up to JJ’s departure and return).

• at Beth: the caring part surprised me also. This is really intriguing .. I wonder what’s going on there. I can see the series really trying to make us think there was some affair going on only to discover it something else.. like maybe he has some disease that he needs help dealing with, or he lost son/wife and she was just helping him deal with.. (which why they might seem close) maybe he’s just a creep that JJ rejected and now he followed her up to the BAU lol maybe the are some feelings but he’s the only one wanted to act on it.. (and still do) or they both acted on it (kissing) … yeah, no idea what’s going on lol very intrigued. Hoping I’ll be loving this arc.

Also looking forward to more on Garcia.

• People like Messer? She messed stuff up on CM ever since she became showrunner. We have yet to see the cause of Reid’s headaches. That better come up soon before Matthew decides he doesn’t want to be part of the series anymore. His contract expires at the end of season 9 after all. But I do want to see what JJ did during the time she was gone, and I do want to see Garcia’s origin episode. I just hope this season is good… and we get more Morgan and Reid moments.

• Bethan says:

Reids headaches were psychological. He turned to Maeve, who was a specialist and then became his girlfriend, for advice. They wrapped up the headaches, got Reid a girlfriend and killed her in a few episodes. It wasn’t explained brilliantly, but it was all addressed last season.

I don’t think Messer has screwed up the show completely before she took over, I think the spin off, the network, a bunch of new writers and actors coming and going has been a big chunk of unbalancing the show. I happen to like Messers’ episodes but I do agree that since season 6, when she became show runner, CM has changed. They could do so much, but chose to go down a route that isn’t meshing well with what CM is supposed to be. The profilers and victims were supposed to be at the core of the show, now it’s unsubs and love lives.

• I’m going to politely disagree, because Criminal Minds is one of the few shows that love lives takes very, very little screen time off the show and doesn’t interfere with the cases nearly as much as most other shows. I also love that they don’t do in-team dating, except for Kevin and Garcia, and Kevin isn’t really on the team, so, that’s my favorite. Keeps a lot of drama out of it.
          I do agree that they’ve kept a lot of focus on the unsubs — not that I mind that, because they always did that up to some point, and it’s fascinating — but they have steered away from the victims, like you said. I’d like to see more victims and families and profiler/family interaction like they used to do all the time.

• lexi says:

Maybe it used to be ” one of the few shows that love lives takes very, very little screen time off the show “, but ever since Erica Messer took over the opposite has been true. Remember when Hotch’s overall screentime wasn’t dependent on whther they could pull Bellamy Young away from “Scandal”? Remember when that Maeve chick didn’t exist, let alone define everything about Reid (and it would’ve been worse had she lived)? Remember when we didn’t care if JJ had an affair or not?

• Remember that except for one or maybe two episodes a season, all of these things take maybe 5 minutes per episodes? Instead of becoming the whole center of the show? Yeah.

2. Dani says:

Just tell us when we will start getting more NY and less Lima.

3. Maria says:

Kate Beckett was NOT kissed by Vaughn. He leaned in and she pushed him away. Also, can we please stop calling her Rick’s “lady love”? It makes them sound like they’re 90 years old.

• tam says:

Amen to the first part. He tried but he failed because she pushed him away (which was the imp part) It got blown out of proportion for the wrong reasons & I’m so sick of this being constantly brought up. C and B are past it, so should the viewers be.

But I think lady love is ok ;)

• Sara says:

Rick and Kate have plenty more to offer. Relationships complicate things more than tension. So I am not going to give up on my favorite silly lovers. I am a straight female and even I think she is hot and he is adorable. He will always be my type of guy. Funny, smart and delicious, plus he has a great voice. He could talk me into anything.

• Badpenny says:

Their lips touched, so it was a kiss; even if it only lasted a fraction of a second before she pushed him away. And if she didn’t want to kiss him she could’ve pushed him away during the lean-in rather then after the lips touching. It wasn’t like she didn’t understand what him invading her space like that was going to lead to. :)

• tam says:

I’d argue that she was utterly lost in those moments and her head was jumbled & upside down that’s why it got far as it did, not because she wanted it.
        Clearly whatever happened meant nth to her and they both moved on from it (much like the incident in 5×02) I just wish the audience would get over it too. Sick of it getting dragged into everything.

• Just one thing says:

Yes, please. Please. Kindly stop calling her “lady love.” Not only has it been grossly overused on this site, but it’s just plain weird. :-P

• tam says:

Well they can’t say “fiance” yet. That would be a BIG spoiler….for some people at least ;)

• Carl Nesbitt says:

I don’t think “Fiance” is going to happen. I think the defining moment came in the episode where Castle and Beckett were sort of kidnapped by the CIA and at one point Beckett asked Castle’s old flame “What happened to the two of you” and the response was “I wish I wouldn’t have slept with him” which got Beckett thinking that she and Castle were heading in the wrong direction and she now has her doubts. I think her move to D.C. takes its toll on each of them and Beckett finds a new love interest and Castle moves on. This will change the whole direction of the show and it may lose many viewers. TELL ME I’M WRONG.

4. Drew says:

Homeland, The Middle, The Mindy Project, Nahville, Revenge, Scandal, The Vampire Diaries, and The Walking Dead! CAN’T WAIT! Waiting for these premieres is torture. I am so pumped now!!!

5. Jessica says:

Thanks for that MerDer baby adorable pic. Reason I watch Grey’s.

6. Lady says:

You remeber Klaine kiss in 5×01 and a Proposal right?

You’re so patetic…

7. iMember says:

Words cannot describe how excited I am for REVENGE to come back!!

8. AL says:

There are not enough words to tell you how excited I was when I saw the promo picture for OUAT with Emma and Hook! I love their dynamic, it’s off the charts and I can never get enough Emma scoop she’s my favorite. I’m really looking forward to all the dynamics in Neverland though between all the characters, it should be a fun yet bumpy ride!

• OUAT Fan says:

So excited!!! I LOVE them together!!!

• Lem says:

Emma is my favorite too! I can’t wait to see her kickass.

• LS1 says:

Mine too, i love Emma and i do want to see her kickass and be a badass but i also feel we need to see those tender moments of Emma, and she is keeping alot in which she needs to get out as well. Which will do her good as well. She has the strength in her to be everything and anything she wants, but i do love tender Emma.

Emma-Hook “you and i, we understand each other” that has to come into play with them bonding

• L3nn13 says:

Agreed CaptainSwan <3, looking forward to Neverland and the plot of the characters esp to learn more about Hook and him becoming a pirate etc.
      Looking forward to the build up of Hook-Emma, and what that brings two of my fave characters and also want to see more of Snowing, Honestly more of the main cast to be honest.

9. L3nn13 says:

WOW, i didnt realise how much TV i watch lol

Revenge, OUAT, Modern Family, The Middle, Grey’s Anatomy, Mindy Project, Two Broke Girls, CSI, Nashville (only for the songs), Parks and Rec, Chicago Fire.

Mainly just want to look at the Emma-Hook pic now <3

10. tam says:

So excited for CASTLE, ARROW and Person of Interest to return!!!THanks for the scoop :)

11. Rit says:

Emma badass Swan, her arms are to die foooor. yum.

12. Astrid says:

Can’t wait for Castle!

13. Drew says:

Looking forward to Arrow and Supernatural (though I hope they don’t bring Charlie back too much). I’m curious to see how the angel storyline turns out… And the part of my brain that is into the details is wondering if all of those angels will be taking human vessels or if something else happened to give them bodies.

I’ll give Revolution a chance to get better, but we’ll see. Last season wasn’t great.

14. Lorena says:

CAPTAIN SWAN, HOOK AND EMMA!

15. Ashleah Youn says:

I kind of hope that Cam finds out she’s pregnant in Ep 2 of Bones.

16. JR1 says:

NEVERLAND here we come!!!

(Meanwhile on the romantic front, “The feelings between some of these characters will be hard to deny.”) = Hook and Emma <3

I am also hoping we see more of Jack-Emily in S3 revenge

• OUAT Fan says:

YAY! Captain Swan!!!!

• Mary says:

Hope not. I don’t think Emma needs to even be considering romance with anyone while in the middle of trying to save Henry from Pan. And Hook is all wrong for her. She doesn’t need to get involved with a man who has spent more than 300 years looking to avenge the murder of the woman he had been involved with, who was also the grandmother of Emma’s son.

• Abby says:

she won’t be considering romance but haven’t you read… THE FEELINGS BETWEEN SOME OF THESE CHARACTERS WILL BE HARD TO DENY (and sshhhh with the Milah thing, haven’t you heard too, Hook is trying to move on) :D

• JoRo says:

I doubt Emma would be going oh no i need a romance lol… but obviously she is with a man who she feels a connection to and understands each other, those kind of feelings building will be there with Hook – simmering between them in whatever situation there is, esp when a couple is having those ‘something is between them’ element in them. Thats how you build a couple and story and scenes

Hook is not related in any way to Emma is he! I think we meant to see two ppl who understand each other rather then oh no he was with her before or she was with him etc

• Lulu says:

Why wouldn’t you want a man that is capable of loving someone so much that he spent 300 years looking for revenge. The grandmother/Henry argument is banal and reeks of straw grasping

• Len84 says:

From what i gather and feel that Hook is motivated by love. He has loved very fiercely and deeply and it was natural human emotion he felt to want to avenge the woman he loved – i mean she got killed right in front of his eyes and then his hand cut off (and lets be honest he puts more emphasis on his love dying then his hand) And he is fought so long and hard and didnt even give up to want his revenge

Combine fighting and loving – this man is deep and i would want that for Emma, to someone to love her like that and someone to appreciate her qualities and see her – just Emma which is what Hook done and has done ever since they met

• Abby says:

YES CAPTAIN SWAN!!! thank you Matt! This is the best thing EVER

17. lee says:

foooooook=(((( no way

18. Madeline says:

Booo to the writers on SPN once again causing unnecessary tension between the brothers YET AGAIN by continuing with the lying and keeping secrets between the two. We have been there and done that. And done it again. I’m over it.

The brothers are smart. You would think at some point they would have learned that keeping secrets from one another never ends well.

SPN can be interesting and entertaining without constant drama between the bros.

• I think the brother’s relationship is the central point of the show so naturally “conflict in the relationship” is going to be a critical component to the show. While I can understand the fan fatigue associated with lying, I suspect Dean is backed into a corner at this point and he’s trading keeping Sam alive for something else.
      I don’t know what trade/deal he’s made (or is going to make) but clearly Sam is not going to approve or Dean would have told him. Dean had little time to pull him back from the edge of dying, and Sam was pretty strung out and ready to die. Playing fast and loose with the truth at the crunch moment may have been the only way to keep Sam alive. Truth will come out but I think Dean had to make a real-time decision and decided to “beg forgiveness”. It may not be the same old ‘Dean thinks his life is worth less than Sam’s’. It could be some ethical decision Sam may not approve of. I just don’t think it’s realistic to presume that Sam could come back from death’s door without something else being sacrificed. He’s apparently physically been changed. Dean’s simplistic “just let it go” at the end of S8 is probably not enough.

19. DL says:

On Arrow, please, please, PLEASE bring in Regina King as Amanda Waller!

20. Thazenstab says:

My favorite isn’t returning this year and I am still upset about it!

21. babarsuhail says:

I have been waiting for this for weeks.

22. SS says:

Way to mention a plotline that will never come up again (Brittany going to MIT) and ignore one that seems to be getting pretty heavy focus in the first episode (Blaine proposing) in your Glee section.

23. Pia says:

Jess has a sister? She is the epitome of an only child.

24. Sara says:

Meredith, Derek and their baby boy!! Can’t handle all of that cuteness.

25. Leny1 says:

“Neverland makes people confront their pasts” – i guess they all will confronting that within themselves and more. I do want to see Snow & Regina finally talk or something with what has happened & the damage in their lives has done, something needs to be said.
    Hook / Emma will be confronting pasts (esp Hook being back in Neverland), the loss and broken ppl they are and very much ppl who are perceptive and strong but also dont sugar coat who they are and have those walls, i can only see them bringing those walls down with each other more so.

“it’s magical yet at the same time dark and sexy” – Sounds sensual lol
    All i see is CAPTAIN SWAN – HOOK & EMMA.

Neverland sounds like its in a trance of dark and sexy, and dangerous

26. abc123 says:

What if Granger ended up being Callen’s father??? That would be strange and a little bit weird, or is it just me who is reading too much into what is being said here?

27. Katiki says:

Very exciting and enticing tidbits for Beauty and the Beast! Thanks! Can’t wait to see how Cat saves Vincent, and if she finds out about her father.

28. F.M. says:

Isn’t the Finn tribute episode of Glee on October 10th there in the US?
    And tell me there isn’t a baby on the way for Cam and Arastoo.

29. Danny says:

Can’t wait for more Belle. I hope she really does have a larger role to play this season!

30. Danny says:

Oh and I hope Neal will be okay. Looking forward to seeing what they do with him. I really love MRJ in the role.

31. Jess says:

I think it’s ridiculous that Hilarie Burton won’t be in the premiere of Grey’s. You can’t just have Arizona sleep with her character / reunion her marriage, and then POOF! Hilarie’s gone.

• Tav says:

Word. Such shoddy storytelling/planning, especially since things pick up almost immediately where they left off. Not to mention Arizona and Lauren are freakin’ awesome together and should be explored.

As for TGW, everything I read fills me with more and more dread. They are beating a dead horse with the Alicia/Will romance angle; everything sounds like a retread. They need to stop constantly covering the same territory and just finally make a decision and stick with it.
      Also, the fact that Alicia and Kalinda’s friendship is likely permanently kaput is the single worst decision the show has ever made.

32. Barbara says:

I only care about “Longmire”. How soon before a decision will be made to renew or not to renew that show?

33. janie says:

The new season of Revolution sounds amazing, I can’t wait!

34. Madison says:

So on the spoiler for “The Mentalist” does he mean “pull them apart and put them together again” job-wise or ship-wise or both? Because I’d vote for the second option definitely. I know they’re supposed to be fighting more this year with the pressure of Red John. I really love them together, so if they’re going to be separated job-wise, I hope it’s not for long.

35. Mere says:

Good Grimm spoilers! This should make for some good character development for Nick.

36. Henry says:

I just have this feeling that Nick and Jess are going to end up being the new Ross and Rachel. They’ll hook up, break them up and then on and off for just an episode or so until they’ll finally decide they are eachother’s one or something like that…

37. K says:

I’m ready to get my REVENGE on!! ;)

38. Lana says:

Can we get Mr Schue to pursue his Broadway dreams so he can move to NY and the whole show can be there now? Please?

• sorry says:

NY yes, Mr Shue no. Sorry but it is bad enough they have all the people going into performing arts careers not Mr Shue too.

39. Kara says:

Can’t wait for the return of SPN and Sam and Dean. Wasn’t worried Sam would die but don’t like the sound of Dean keeping yet more secrets. Anyway I’m there!

40. Winston Mize says:

Excited about the Hart Of Dixie stuff. Zeorge needed to just go away because it was just awkward. Excited abOut getting back to Zoe and her heritage. Maybe she can actually be a doctor again too. Some of my favorite season one episodes were her dealing with patients. I do love how they have fleshed out Lemon some, though Brick’s mom is supposed to be coming to stop lemon from tarnishing the family name, so are they working her baby in? Because Lemon and an unplanned baby seems so OOC.

• Marc says:

Lemon did have a pregnancy scare last season, so not so much OOC. Although it would be pretty stupid development considering that she’ll be involved in a secret relationship.

41. Rae says:

Can’t wait for Chicago Fire! Casey was a mess at the end of last season and I’m anxious to see what helps him move on after his loss. I’m also curious as to what will happen with Renee.

42. Jess says:

I want more Belle!

43. Lucy says:

Not a shred of spoiler about Cary. The year of Cary, yeah. It’s all about Willicia.

• Tav says:

Seriously, the priorities of the Kings/writers are absurd. Let’s go around and around with this romance while neglecting the progression other crucial relationships (with Cary, with Kalinda).

• Lucy says:

Season 5 right now is not something I look forward to. I’m tired of being jerked around by those writers. Willicia. The triangle. Kalinda’s love interest number 100. Guest stars fest. Cary’s no storyarc. A big giant nothing with Cary and Kalinda because they’re not “the couple” and nothing can steal anything from “the couple”. And I’m tired of Matt Czuchry spoiling his career in that show absolutely in vain.

• DW says:

This is the Kings’ last chance in our house. We’ve been promised over and over and over that Cary will be shown some respect on TGW. They’ve promised it again and here we get nothing about Cary in the spoiler and publicity so far is only about Alicia having “regrets” all season about her decision. Time’s up. Not every viewer of TGW is concerned about Alicia & Will. They’ve had four years…move on. The ending of last season had so much promise for great new directions for this fantastic cast. Don’t mess this one up producers and writers.

• Pat says:

Besides the usual complete lack of meaningful spoilers about Cary (which just means that we’ll get the usual lack of worthy storylines for him that season), those spoilers are dreadful in general.

• DW says:

It is worrisome that they continue to focus on the Alicia-Will “romance” after four years. We were cheered when the Kings said that Cary would finally be given some increased storylines this season. But now comes the publicity and it’s all about Alicia & Will and Juliana saying that season 5 will show Alicia having constant regrets about leaving with Cary. Starting a new firm would and should have problems but please don’t turn this season into a Alicia is sorry she left L-G mess. If they make this into “Cary’s mismanaging the firm” to Alicia’s year-long “regret” about going with Cary it will be the last straw here. Cary is too fine a character and Matt Czuchry too fine an actor to be relegated to everyone else’s background story. Let Cary run with a success here.

• Lucy says:

There’s no way they’ll allow Cary to be successful in anything. Especially against L&G. And there’s no way we can trust RK after the load of unkept promises about Cary being more prominent that season, getting more to do next season, getting an exciting storyarc this year….bla bla bla. We know how things turn out every damn season. He’s the predestinated loser of the show in terms of storylines and screentime. He can’t win against L&G. He can’t be as good as Alicia. He can’t be trusted by her enough to build up a mature partnership because he’s idealistic but not realistic and she really “respects” Diane and Will (aka he’s not as good as Diane and Will). He’s not as good as any other Kalinda’s love interest: he can have with her a one night off-screen hook up and but then he needs to make room for the next one because there’s no way Kalinda can feel something more for him. He’s not worth something more. He’s just worth her disappointment, anger and casualness. He’s also not worth a love interest in general. He’s a loser in love like in every aspect of his life.

• DW says:

I surely don’t think of Cary as a “loser” in any way. Cary is a supporting character and we all realize that the show is about “The Good Wife”. I have no problems with that. The show should revolve around her. The complaint is what they do with Cary in the supporting role. The end of last season showed great promise with Cary leading the rightful rebellion against Will & Diane for cheating everyone out of their partnerships. Just cannot handle the thought of Cary now becoming the focus of Alicia’s regrets and anger over leaving. Cary & Alicia are terrific together and we don’t want the show descending into an Alicia vs. Cary for control storyline. Also, what’s it going to take to get Cary some lovin on this show? In real life women would be all over Cary.
            Still hoping for the best for this season but very worried by the publicity so far.

• Lucy says:

I don’t think Cary fans complain because they want him to be as prominent as Alicia or don’t know this show is about her and not about him. I think all Cary fans just want him to be finally treated like the other supporting characters: with respect for the character, the actor and his fans and not like the show’s punching bag. And after 2 years of exile at SA and one year of complete underuse at L&G I think it’s time to finally give Cary and Matt Czuchry that kick ass storyarc everyone is expecting since season 1.

• DW says:

Agree and well said.

44. Nora says:

Person of Interest – nothing on Finch and/or Reese? Or Fusco? The constant push of the Shaw character is really making me dislike her. Can’t wait for the Carter backstory…IMO, she is the best female character on the show.

45. Lynn says:

Seems like I’m not the only one thinking Cam will get pregnant on Bones. Not sure if I want that or not.

46. Ashley says:

“…including the effect it may have on her relationship with Det. Brian Cassidy.” Meaning it brings them closer together, I hope? I really love these two together. I don’t want to see them end.

47. JoRo says:

Do i see pics of couples – established couples and upcoming couples pic wise!!!

Olicity, Captain Swan, MerDer etc

48. john says:

i feel like meg’s jumping ship on family guy. MK’s gotta better venues for her face, frankly.

49. GildedRose says:

Can’t wait for Arrow to return! So glad Oliver is making the transition into heroics rather than revenge. I’m excited about the fate of Queen Consolidated and how Oliver will fight to save the company, assisted, I’m sure by Felicity Smoak who works there. Looking forward to all the action, stunts and danger. Can’t wait to see who the next “Big Bad” will be for the arc. Seeing Felicity’s “adorkable” moments makes this show funny, so always looking forward to that. Plus I’m looking forward to more Oliver/Felicity this season. I love their chemistry!

50. Ryan says:

Worst Homeland News Ever: “..Dana (the latter’s struggle is a major focus in early episodes).”