CBS, Time Warner Reach Deal to End Blackout

Time Warner Cable CBS AgreementYour month-long national nightmare is over.

CBS Corporation and Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks on Monday reached an agreement for carriage of CBS-owned stations — as well as Showtime Networks, CBS Sports Network and Smithsonian Channel — on Time Warner Cable systems across the country.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

The agreement ends a CBS “blackout” for TWC subscribers that began on Aug. 2.

RELATED | Under the Dome Recap: (Aug. 26) ‘But What Does It Mean?’

Programming on all networks will resume Monday by 6/5c — just in time for the antepenultimate episode of Under the Dome Season 1 (and, you know, the upcoming NFL season).

1. Sparky says:

Actually it’s 5.38 here on the East coast and CBS is back.

2. Casey says:

FINALLY!

3. Bubba says:

Who blinked? Did they release the details of the agreement?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The terms, expectedly, are not being disclosed.

• Bob says:

The Time Warner guy said they didn’t get everything they wanted, but they’re happy. I’m guessing CBS was forced to blink by the big football advertisers. I just thought CBS would wait until after opening day of the season, just to make their point. But advertisers rule, so Moonves & Co. had to settle.

4. Suzanne says:

Dexter!!!

5. Esaul says:

Now there’s no need to speculate how NCIS will do versus Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. now that the blackout’s over.

6. Suzanne says:

It’s 5:02p central and still no Showtime. Was hoping to catch up with the Dexter marathon but apparently the 6/5c resume time does not include Showtime.

7. NoChance says:

I had no doubt that a deal would be worked out. The blackout was bad for both companies.

8. Briana says:

I love that you used the term antepenultimate. You almost never see that :)

9. Charles says:

Not only was it bad, it was unnecessary. I bet whatever deal tree hey arrived at was originally on the table. No way they were going to let the xml season start and be blacked out in ny and la.

10. RobD381 says:

antepenultimate? Wow. Class and Intelligence. Roget’s?

11. Sheila Kenny says:

The blackout has led me to Hulu and Netflix. I am glad I will now be able to watch my shows on the TV, but both CBS and Bright House need to remember they aren’t the only game in town.

12. brycealexander says:

I don’t get why people choose to have these weird cable companies. DirecTV, Dish and U-Verse. Those are the only three I’d ever choose, thanks to their reliability.

• SeanDL says:

Lucky for you, you have a choice. Unlike many out there who don’t due to the duopolies out there and apart building restrictions..

• Meg says:

So, the people who pay the cable bill in my house don’t like satellite, so they’ll only go with cable. The only cable company we can have in my city is Charter. It’s not a choice, really. Others in our area have Comcast, AT&T U-Verse is available in other areas not very far away. But the city only allows one company.

• Marc says:

I’m held hostage by the fact that I want to watch NY1 news and Time Warner Cable owns it and won’t offer it to non-cable providers. If only antitrust laws were enforced in this country where production companies, networks and television providers had separate ownership and we had true competition. Instead, we have oligopolies extorting one another and the consumer pays.

13. Aeol says:

Believe me, I would have dumped TWC if they didn’t have a monopoly on my building. Only other choice was DirecTv and we have that at my job, it blacks out every single time in bad weather. I like live TV and sports and random channels, like Food Network, HGTV, History, etc and yes I use Netflix but it’s not the same as live TV. We were just about to cave and get the antenna, my husband was furious over not having major golf events and we both would have lost it over losing football!

• Bryce Alexander says:

Fair. I live in Texas, so I DirecTV blacking out in radar isn’t even on my radar.

• Bob says:

It makes no difference if you switch. It’s not a TWC thing, it’s a network broadcaster thing. The same thing has happened to DirecTV and Verizon FiOS in the last year or so. With FiOS and Sinclair Broadcasting, we missed the first week of NFL playoffs a couple of years ago. Amazingly, everything was settled the next day.

14. Old people loves CBS if no one cares about it 100%.

• Dav says:

You do realize that CBS was the #1 network in the 18-49 demo last season, right? Joke about CBS being an “old people” network all you want but at the end of the day they are winning in the highly coveted 18-49 demo and that’s a fact.

15. sjp315 says:

Did anybody really, REALLY, RRREEEAAAALLLLYYYY think it was going to cut into the NFL Season? Lol when it happened I said they would come to terms before the first regular season game was played because they couldn’t afford to lose the games. Everybody was all in a tizzy when they should have just waited patiently for the season to begin.

16. Margeux says:

They turned CBS back on, but CBS On Demand is not showing any shows. Just a “Fall Preview”. I need to catch up on the average as hell “Under The Dome”!

17. Hellelujah and praise the TV gods lol

18. TV Gord says:

We’ll never know, but I’d love to find out how many subscribers Time Warner lost over the past month!

19. Jay says:

Everybody knows you can watch CBS for free, right?