CBS, Time Warner Reach Deal to End Blackout

Get More: News

Time Warner Cable CBS AgreementYour month-long national nightmare is over.

CBS Corporation and Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks on Monday reached an agreement for carriage of CBS-owned stations — as well as Showtime Networks, CBS Sports Network and Smithsonian Channel — on Time Warner Cable systems across the country.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

The agreement ends a CBS “blackout” for TWC subscribers that began on Aug. 2.

RELATED | Under the Dome Recap: (Aug. 26) ‘But What Does It Mean?’

Programming on all networks will resume Monday by 6/5c — just in time for the antepenultimate episode of Under the Dome Season 1 (and, you know, the upcoming NFL season).

Comments (37)

• Actually it’s 5.38 here on the East coast and CBS is back.

Comment by Sparky – September 2, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY!

Comment by Casey – September 2, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who blinked? Did they release the details of the agreement?

Comment by Bubba – September 2, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The terms, expectedly, are not being disclosed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 2, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Time Warner guy said they didn’t get everything they wanted, but they’re happy. I’m guessing CBS was forced to blink by the big football advertisers. I just thought CBS would wait until after opening day of the season, just to make their point. But advertisers rule, so Moonves & Co. had to settle.

Comment by Bob – September 3, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter!!!

Comment by Suzanne – September 2, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now there’s no need to speculate how NCIS will do versus Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. now that the blackout’s over.

Comment by Esaul – September 2, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s 5:02p central and still no Showtime. Was hoping to catch up with the Dexter marathon but apparently the 6/5c resume time does not include Showtime.

Comment by Suzanne – September 2, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no doubt that a deal would be worked out. The blackout was bad for both companies.

Comment by NoChance – September 2, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that you used the term antepenultimate. You almost never see that :)

Comment by Briana – September 2, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only was it bad, it was unnecessary. I bet whatever deal tree hey arrived at was originally on the table. No way they were going to let the xml season start and be blacked out in ny and la.

Comment by Charles – September 2, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nfl. Season

Comment by Charles – September 2, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This.

Both CBS and Time Warner thought they were the top dog, but it’s really the NFL.

Comment by taran63 – September 2, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • antepenultimate? Wow. Class and Intelligence. Roget’s?

Comment by RobD381 – September 2, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is how TV Line always refers to the third-last episode, and it’s really the best word to use. Also, antepenultimate isn’t in Roget’s.

Comment by Bryce Alexander – September 2, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …but they’re rushing to assemble a list of synonyms for “twerk”! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – September 2, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The blackout has led me to Hulu and Netflix. I am glad I will now be able to watch my shows on the TV, but both CBS and Bright House need to remember they aren’t the only game in town.

Comment by Sheila Kenny – September 2, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why people choose to have these weird cable companies. DirecTV, Dish and U-Verse. Those are the only three I’d ever choose, thanks to their reliability.

Comment by brycealexander – September 2, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lucky for you, you have a choice. Unlike many out there who don’t due to the duopolies out there and apart building restrictions..

Comment by SeanDL – September 2, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So, the people who pay the cable bill in my house don’t like satellite, so they’ll only go with cable. The only cable company we can have in my city is Charter. It’s not a choice, really. Others in our area have Comcast, AT&T U-Verse is available in other areas not very far away. But the city only allows one company.

Comment by Meg – September 2, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m held hostage by the fact that I want to watch NY1 news and Time Warner Cable owns it and won’t offer it to non-cable providers. If only antitrust laws were enforced in this country where production companies, networks and television providers had separate ownership and we had true competition. Instead, we have oligopolies extorting one another and the consumer pays.

Comment by Marc – September 2, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Believe me, I would have dumped TWC if they didn’t have a monopoly on my building. Only other choice was DirecTv and we have that at my job, it blacks out every single time in bad weather. I like live TV and sports and random channels, like Food Network, HGTV, History, etc and yes I use Netflix but it’s not the same as live TV. We were just about to cave and get the antenna, my husband was furious over not having major golf events and we both would have lost it over losing football!

Comment by Aeol – September 2, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fair. I live in Texas, so I DirecTV blacking out in radar isn’t even on my radar.

Comment by Bryce Alexander – September 2, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Bryce Alexander. TWC got it made. I just glad that it was just a month and it is back to normal until the next blackout.

Comment by cdhaskell – September 3, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes no difference if you switch. It’s not a TWC thing, it’s a network broadcaster thing. The same thing has happened to DirecTV and Verizon FiOS in the last year or so. With FiOS and Sinclair Broadcasting, we missed the first week of NFL playoffs a couple of years ago. Amazingly, everything was settled the next day.

Comment by Bob – September 3, 2013 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Old people loves CBS if no one cares about it 100%.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – September 2, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize that CBS was the #1 network in the 18-49 demo last season, right? Joke about CBS being an “old people” network all you want but at the end of the day they are winning in the highly coveted 18-49 demo and that’s a fact.

Comment by Dav – September 3, 2013 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anybody really, REALLY, RRREEEAAAALLLLYYYY think it was going to cut into the NFL Season? Lol when it happened I said they would come to terms before the first regular season game was played because they couldn’t afford to lose the games. Everybody was all in a tizzy when they should have just waited patiently for the season to begin.

Comment by sjp315 – September 2, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on I'm LissaBreen – Welcome To My World (My Life, My Way&My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – September 2, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They turned CBS back on, but CBS On Demand is not showing any shows. Just a “Fall Preview”. I need to catch up on the average as hell “Under The Dome”!

Comment by Margeux – September 2, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha yes THIS

Comment by angelblue1772 – September 2, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Margeux about CBS on Demand. It look that I must save my money and buy the first season Under The Dome on DVD.

Comment by cdhaskell – September 3, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Margeux about CBS on Demand. It look like I must save my money and buy the first season of Under The Dome on DVD. It was the next day before the CBS on Demand finally show the other program but behind the stuff on Under The Dome.

Comment by cdhaskell – September 3, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellelujah and praise the TV gods lol

Comment by angelblue1772 – September 2, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ll never know, but I’d love to find out how many subscribers Time Warner lost over the past month!

Comment by TV Gord – September 2, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody knows you can watch CBS for free, right?

Comment by Jay – September 3, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post