Cop, Out: The Glades Cancelled By A&E

The Glades CancelledTalk about a lousy (non-)wedding gift: Just days after The Glades scored season-high ratings with its Season 4 finale, A&E has officially cancelled the Florida-based procedural.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Menace to Raise Hell on A&E’s Bates Motel

The series on Monday night wrapped up its fourth season with an audience of 3.4 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — also marking all-time highs for a finale.

Sadly, that season-ender also left groom-to-be Jim’s life in flux, shot as he was by an unseen assailant.

RELATED | Alias Alum Checks Into A&E’s Bates Motel as Norma’s [Spoiler]

On Thursday, A&E’s other Monday-night drama, Longmire, took a big step toward seeming a Season 2 pick-up when exec producer John Coveny claimed as much on Twitter — though the cabler has yet to confirm the good news.

1. Bernadette says:

There is a petition for “Save The Glades” . You can find it at Change.org. Please sign ! Hope it helps our cause.

2. Bernadette says:

OOPS !!! I need to be more specific about the save the glades petition at change.org.
    Search for AETV: Bring back the Glades. Otherwise, you’ll only find petitions to save the glades as in the real glades with water, sand, alligators etc.

3. Cheryl says:

Please everyone sign the petition at change.org. We really need to bring this back!!!

4. Angela says:

ARRGGHHH!!! It cant end like this!!!! So totally unfair! Way to treat your consumers A&E

5. Kelby Hoeppner says:

If your going to cancel a show with a cliffhanger like that then sell it to another network who will continue it, because this is ridiculous! The Glades was the only show I ever watched on A&E, because I honestly can’t enjoy any reality TV shows, they just don’t interest me. So as far as I can tell you just lost another viewer and by reading several of the other comments posted on here, u have also lost several others as well. If you were smart u would sell the rights to this show to a more reliable network or pull ur heads out of ur asses and renew it urself.

6. Chauntee says:

I’m through with A&E!!!!!! Unless you bring it back…

7. Michael says:

What is wrong with you A&E!!?!?!?! At least make a proper ending if your going to cancel the show( which is a bad idea)

8. bebe says:

please bring Glades back..please

9. John says:

Here is the bottom line: “reality” shows are cheap to make and that is the reason they proliferate all over the dials.

• JEANNETTE GARTRELL says:

I really feel that we, as tv viewers, are fed up with all of these reality shows and not just A&E. We want “The Glades” back!!!!

• Of course we want reality TV! It’s the McDonald’s of entertainment – cheap to produce, workers get paid next to nothing, and it’s all full of fat, grease, or synthetic materials. But seriously, people love it just like they love Us Weekly and Miley Cyrus music videos.

10. Dory says:

YES. There are a few Callie haters blaming her. IMHO it was season 2 that started the down spiral. When actors are allowed to pick support people then there is a lose of quality. No matter what kind of relationship someone my may have with these people they should be judged by their abilities. There seems to be no accountability. But yes bring them back. Get new writers whatever it takes.

• JEANNETTE GARTRELL says:

I don’t think its Callie. I think they lost viewers when they bought that new female detective on. I’m glad she’s gone!!

• Dory says:

I was writing about the Sam character. She and her shaky head were so nerve wracking. Although there were many who didn’t like the BC. At least she could deliver her lines without jumping around like she had to go to the loo.

11. kissjo says:

WTF?????? Seriously?!?!?!?!?!? This absolutely PISSES me off! I just got into this show and was completely looking forward to season 5. Why is A&E becoming the worst station? I used to be able to keep A&E on all day and actually appreciate it. Now, its storage wars, duck dynasty, bates motel, and well, pretty much anything crappy and non-thought provoking that is bombarding our stations these days. So completely disappointed. A&E is officially no longer going to be watched by me in any capacity. This was the last show that I watched on their station. I hate cliffenders for this reason. What a crap move on their end.

12. Bernadette says:

Everyone, please sign the petition AETV:Bring back The Glades at change.org. Over 4,000 have signed but over 5,000 are still needed. Every time the petition is signed, an email is sent to A&E. We need to bombard them with these email petitions. If they don’t reverse the decision to cancel, hopefully they will give us closure with a 2 hour movie or one more short season to wrap things up. I’m afraid if they don’t hurry up with some sort of closure, the actors will have moved on to other things and won’t be available.

13. Please do not cancel The Glades. Seems like every good cable series gets cancelled just as it gets it’s feet off the ground, good story lines, and the character dynamic works itself out. And to cancel with a cliffhanger. Bad move A & E. you are going to lose the viewers you did have with this move. Who in the suits makes these stupid decisions and leaves shows like Bates Motel, bad ink, reality tv nauseous +. Keep the entertaining television series and come up with some new stuff. But if you ditch a true gem like the Glades, at least end the story.

14. LindaThomas says:

There are no acceptable words for your stupidity. I’m done with A&E, y’all don’t know good from bad.

15. ReeAnn says:

Total bull crap to not continue with the Glades there is so much potential in that show and to just drop it on a cliffhanger is not cool. The glades was the only reason why I watch A&E.

16. Terri says:

I must agree that A&E corporate has lost there ever loving minds!!!!!!!!!!! The Glades is one of the best shows out there & as most everyone that has made a comment, I’ve watched this since the premier. Most Reality shows suck & I am sick of them!!!!!!!!!! I think A&E should think long & hard about cancelling this show but maybe if all Glades followers are lucky maybe another network will pick it up….YEAH!!! if they do & BOOOO to A&E…..

17. Susan says:

Why????? It’s a great show, and how dare you leave us hanging? Crummy TV!!’nn

18. Lisa says:

This is a very lousy way to treat the fans of the Glades—–if one actor did not want to come back why do all the others have to pa for them? The Glades is a great show and SOME OF THE HIGHER UP should reconsider the decision…… We should have a conclusion to the last show—— that was no way to end the series…… NOT VERY NICE Just think of the Viewers you will be losing………………………………………………..

19. Tanya says:

There’s a petition to bring the show back on change.org. Please everyone, go sign this petition and lets get the show back on, even if it’s just an abbreviated season to wrap things up.

20. Deb phelps says:

Who is running this place!!!! Are the idiots in charge…I am soooo sick of stupid realty tv. I find a really good show like the Glades and now you cancel it. Why do the good shows get cancelled but the shows for idiots stay on tv?? Do you not pay attention to the ratings ? Or is it all about the $$$. Realty tv is cheaper to produce I’m sure . You have lost a viewer …….

21. Stephanie Adams says:

I loved The Glades. What a mistake in taking off a great show! What is the matter with the people who decide such matters. You are idiots.

22. Carole Jensen says:

I agree with ur comment…I love the Glades & looked forward thru the week to seeing it…I guess I will NOT watch A&E any longer…

23. Ann says:

Just head the Glades was cancelled, just cancelled A7E off my satellite list of channels. I am not going to pay for something I probably won’t watch any more. I understand shows get cancelled, but usually there is closure. pathetic.

24. Hollue says:

I have to agree, I will NEVER watch A&E ever again!!!!!!!!!!!! The Glades have a addicting storyline and for that to end so abruptly is just a REALLY BAD move!!!!!!!

25. James Sacchetti says:

Without repeating most of of previously comments, I feel The Glades should be renewed for another summer season or at the very least a 1 or 2 hour episode for closure. If thats not in the cards, wouldn’t your sister chanel Lifetime be more appropriate to run this show…similar demographics.. etc. I, like many others feel why should we invest any more time with your scripted shows, knowing that at any moment you just decide to shut them down without any closure. You seem to show no respect for your viewers.

26. ben says:

Mabe they will get picked up by a different network. Screw A&E

27. ann says:

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!! I JUST STARTED WATCHING GLADES AND LONGMIRE AND FELL IN LOVE WITH THEM. LOOKED FORWARD TO IT EVERYWEEK!! HOW CAN THEY CANCEL GLADES?? THEY NEED TO BRING IT BACK! CAN’T END THE SHOW WITH JIM ON THE FLOOR.

28. Bruce says:

Missing: The ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT part of A & E ! Has anyone seen them??? Remember to Save The Glades!!!!!!

29. Trey says:

HEY AMERICAN TV! Why don’t you stop ending seasons on cliffhangers! I’ve been disappointed so many times lately with these stupid finales – Alphas, The Glades, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Jericho, My Name is Earl, PUSHING DAISIES. Comic book continuations don’t really count because they’re missing the personalities of the actors portraying the characters. I honestly think I would rather have shows take a page from the Brits and plan a series from start to finish, budget it, then film and show it. If it succeeds, rinse and repeat. Most TV plot threads get tied up within a season or two (unless it’s Lost) so why risk dragging it out and disappointing your fans? Because you know we’ll just keep coming back.

30. Amy Perrin says:

I just found out that this was cancelled and I am very upset!! This was THE best show on A&E!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!

31. Melody Lance says:

I am an avid A & E viewer. I can not believe that they have cancelled The Glades. This is one of my favourite shows. I have The Glades watched it since it’s premiere. I can not believe that A & E would cancel this show. The is absolutely no call for this, especially considering the rating the season four finale received. To leave the show and all the fans hanging like this is unbelievable. I may have to consider my loyalties to this network. I have put up with cancelations in the past but have never been as upset as by this one. Shame on you A & E.

I am a very unhappy viewer. I seriously hope we make enough noise and that A & E reconsiders this extremely bad decision.

32. Leona says:

I am very upset with the cancellation of The Glades. There are other programs that are so bad and they are not cancelled. Is there a way that pressure can be put on A&E to return The Glades next year. I have enjoyed it since the beginning along with Longmire. I have always enjoyed A&E but it is getting more and more programs that are not worth watching and if things continue getting worse I am going to cancel A&E. It is not worth having when there is so little to watch. Please reconsider and bring back The Glades.

33. sherly says:

A&E finally has a promising series and then this??? Talk about running a network to the ground. Maybe you should all go work for JC Penney… They’re used to that.

34. Bernadette says:

Please, everyone, sign the petition AETV: Bring Back “The Glades” at change.org. Still need 4500 signers. This is a great way to let A&E know our displeasure with them.

35. marie a. says:

Absolutely evil to leave us like that. And then cancel the show!! The Glades was an entertaining romp through the insantity of crimes. Not too serious and not too slap-sticky. And not to let love consumate that “beautiful couple.” You ought to reconsider this decision. NBC cancelled Southland and TNT got it and it was fabulous! You need a new board of directors of programming or something. Anywhooo ….

36. Vikki says:

Totally disappointed! Just got caught up on the the last few episodes and you end the series like that? Bad move. You could do a two hour episode to conclude the story line! It’s sad that stupid people are in charge of what the loyal viewers get to watch. No more A&E for me. Wouldn’t want to get caught up in another series only to have it cancelled with no closure.

37. Rudy says:

I thought A and E stood for ARTS and ENTERTAINMENT and was an upscale network. But keeping shows like “Duck Dynasty” and tossing “The Glades” are included in the top 10 network idiotic decisions. “The Glades” is an intelligent and entertaining show. What a mistake!! My opinion of A and E has plummetted. What next? Tossing “Longmire”?

38. Andrea says:

I tried posting this before, but you must have to have a wordpress account to post a link.

Someone has started a Facebook page (titled Save the Glades) that includes a campaign to send golf balls to A&E. I know it may be stupid, but I found some cheap golf balls and sent them with a note expressing my displeasure at the cancellation. I’ve only watched Seasons 1 and 2, but I’m questioning whether I want to continue if all I’m going to end up with is a cliffhanger. I want to know that there will be an ending waiting for me whenever I reach it.

• Jennifer S. says:

The Facebook page is mine… and I don’t remember including any link to send them golf balls…

• Jennifer S. says:

That said – it’s a good idea!

• Andrea says:

Jennifer, might there be more than one Facebook page? The one I happened onto last night has an admin named Hayley. There isn’t a link to send golf balls. Just the address for A&E and the suggestion was made. Sounded like a good idea to me, so I went ahead and did it.

39. Steph says:

Don’t cancel it let it at least have another season
    Lots record show and watch it later too
    Always stop best shows

40. Patrick says:

There’s a common thread amongst the comments re: cancellation of “The Glades.” The common thread? Viewer’s absolute disgust with “Reality” programming. Reality program-ming is what you get when you’ve traded talent and creativity in writing, for viewership from the masses of idiots and buffoons who could spend all day watching a monkey try to screw a football. Too bad “Glades” is gone. It was both well-written and enjoyable to watch. I hear there’s already a new show slated to take its place…something about a monkey and football. God save us all!

41. Judy says:

Unbelievable. This is a clever, fast-moving show. Done with A&E and their stupidity!

42. dominique hatch says:

I sure hope we get an ending to glades the question is in the air does Jim live does Carlos find him laying shot do Jim and kali get married and who did shoot Jim it could only be the protective custody Guy or ray but is Jim going to survive that’s crazy how it ended so many questions we need answers

• prish says:

I assume the fed that manages the ex-husband’s life is the baddie. I, also, assume he has manipulated things and people, all along.

43. Stanley Laporta says:

Cancel the Glades…. This is what happens when the grown ups let the pimple faced, pubescent jerk offs run things before they should be. Really, cancel the Glades ? Who’s lookin at the numbers at A/E ???
    Quick, get some clearasil….

44. prish says:

Can’t they write a book, letting us download it off iTunes, or somesuch?

45. A&Ehasnoclue says:

Unfortunate but not surprising! The last couple of seasons have comprised weak writing, very weak story lines and too much background “noise”. I was hoping for a 5th season with writing similar to the first season!

46. I hate that you are canceling glades it was one of the better shows on TV. Why don’t you get someone on USA or TNT have the show I know it will be watched.

47. Ann Schultz says:

Bring back the Glades. A&E you suck

48. Robert says:

Your going to keep a dumb Duck show and not the Glades forget A&E bring back the Glades

49. MAX says:

HOW COULD YOU END THE GLADES THIS WAY, I LOVED THAT SHOW AND JIM AND CALLIE. I CAN’T GET IT OFF MY MIND. PLEASE RENEW IT LONG ENOUGH TO FIND OUT WHO SHOT JIM, GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL AND HAVE JIM AND CALLIE GET MARRIED. THIS IS A HORRIBLE WAY TO END A SERIES. I HAVE WATCHED EV ERY SHOW. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO RENEW, AT LEAST GIVE US A HAPPY ENDING. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING LONGMIRE, BUT IF GLADES DOES NOT GET RESOLVED, I AM NEVER WATCHING A & E AGAIN. YOU COULD HAVE SYNDICATED THIS SERIES IF YOU HAD NOT MESSED IT UP.