Cop, Out: The Glades Cancelled By A&E

The Glades CancelledTalk about a lousy (non-)wedding gift: Just days after The Glades scored season-high ratings with its Season 4 finale, A&E has officially cancelled the Florida-based procedural.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Menace to Raise Hell on A&E’s Bates Motel

The series on Monday night wrapped up its fourth season with an audience of 3.4 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — also marking all-time highs for a finale.

Sadly, that season-ender also left groom-to-be Jim’s life in flux, shot as he was by an unseen assailant.

RELATED | Alias Alum Checks Into A&E’s Bates Motel as Norma’s [Spoiler]

On Thursday, A&E’s other Monday-night drama, Longmire, took a big step toward seeming a Season 2 pick-up when exec producer John Coveny claimed as much on Twitter — though the cabler has yet to confirm the good news.

1. JEANNETTE GARTRELL says:

PLEASE, PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW! ONE OF THE BEST ON TV THAT A FAMILY CAN WATCH TOGETHER! DON’T DO IT!

• Maribeth Campbell says:

I am so glad so many agree with me. Not a lot of gratuitous violence and sex. just an easy going pleasure to watch. To fall in love with all the characters. Shame on you, A & E. I also love Longmire. Good show. Good writing. Original scripting. no more assanine reality shows. I just watched the new “Evil’ show with Charisma Carpenter, who I love. however, the show sucks. I didn’t even watch the entire episode. I know it’s not on A&E, but it’s that kind of crap that needs to come off.

2. GeeMa says:

This is why I completely HATE cliffhangers. Maybe another network will pick it up. Can always hope.

3. ellamay says:

Why, Oh Why cancel a show that so many enjoyed????? All that is being left to watch are untrue reality show or just plain stupid shows. I LOVED THE GLADES AND NEVER MISSED IT OR LONGMIRE. Who makes the choices of what goes and what comes on or back on? Whoever it is needs to get in touch with the viewers and/or find a new j
    ob…

• JEANNETTE GARTRELL says:

I AGREE RE BOTH SHOWS. LOVE LONGMIRE, ALSO! I’M CURIOUS. WHO MAKES THESE DECISIONS??????????????????

4. Tara says:

Don’t cancel The Glades!!!!

5. Jay says:

Do the morons who make these decisions even know what’s going on in the show? Or are they so anxious to replace it with another cheap lame reality show that they just don’t care. Other networks have announced cancellations, but allowed their shows a few more episodes to resolve the storyline. This is really bad for public relations A&E, I hope you know that!

6. Maribeth Campbell says:

….Duck Dynasty, what a poor excuse for television. like honey boo boo being a boo boo in itself. The people that watch that crap need to get an education.

7. Patricia Reed says:

Don’t dare cancel Longmire. Great show. Can hardly wait until it returns

8. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? what kind of sadistic person cancels a show on a cliffhanger? They couldn’t have even had the decency to grant the show a final season (even a half season) to give some closer? SO ANGRY

9. Dale says:

The Glades had a fantastic hanging ending and I wanted to see what happen! I am disappointed in A&E for cancelling The Glades!

10. Robin says:

Matt,

Any way you could ask the producers and/or writers how they would have ended it? I would LOVE to know! Would LOVE a wrap up ep or movie!!

11. Are you FREAKING kidding me? This is some serious BULL$HIT! What is wrong w/the stupid channels. First TNT cancels Leverage for no reason. Now A&E cancels The Glades. I look forward EVERY summer for this show and always wish they’d give us more episodes but now you not only cancel it but you leave us hanging. WAY TO GO A&E YOU SUCK BIG TIME

12. Marc says:

Clearly, A&E has no interest in scripted programming. Other than The Glades and Longmire, they show nothing but garbage reality. I have no reason to watch the channel. Let the ship Longmire over to Lifetime and go all garbage, all the time. When a la carte cable comes, I’ll never see A&E again.

13. Levi says:

Unbeleivable…. I hate hate hate when networks cancel shows w/o letting the writers know. The writers (and actors) have as much invested in the show as the viewers. There should always be a way to wrap up every show coming to an end. For all of us….

14. Kristi says:

WHAT!!! How could they cancel and leave Jim laying on the floor shot!!!! What are they thinking!!!! That is just crazy it is a great show!!! Way to go A & E

15. Judy says:

I’m so disappointed they’re cancelling The Glades. That show and Longmire are good watching. Reconsider, please.

16. JBC says:

Let’s hope the showrunners shop this great show to different networks. Leverage had a plan to write a proper season finale for their show at the end of S5 before they knew for sure if they would be renewed on TNT. I am glad they did. since it got cancelled as well.. I would have surely liked it better if Jim and Callie got married, just in case the show got cancelled as it did. Guess all the networks like this new swing toward reality shows, which is ok, since they get good ratings, and it always comes down to money and business decisions, but there is a place for good shows like The Glades, and Leverage too. Season finales need to have storylines wrapped up in this business climate within the networks. No more cliffhangers unless they are mid season, would be safer. Now I am concerned for White Collar on USA since they cut episode count this season.

• Levi says:

I’m worried about White Collar too. First they move it to the fall. Ick. Then they move it to Thursdays. Yikes. Then they cut the already too short season. Ugh. And I’ve heard its gonna end on a big cliffhangar too.

17. Micki says:

The lead character can’t die but A&E is officially dead to me. End of story indeed.

18. A&E better renew Longmire sooner rather than later. :-(

19. KAY F says:

Just want to air my discontent with A&E too. Watched from the beginning and they should give us a wrap up ending. Geez- no respect for the viewers. Wonder what the actors thought about getting the boot?

20. Nancy L. says:

Very disappointed … invested some serious time into this show … should have changed the writers instead of ending it. A&E in its inception stood for good programming. Looks like now its pandering to the lowerst common denominator … I’m quite p’d off. And I waited 4 years for them to get married … this last half of the shows I waited for the writers to stop writing Jim as flippant every time he arrested someone … that’s not how the character was originally written and what made Jim interesting to watch. If you stop watching A&E, make sure you get in touch with your cable company and ask them to remove A&E from your cable package … it has to hurt in the pocket book these days for big tv to pay any attention to your boycott of this station.

21. JJ says:

Love the show! After watching for four seasons it is extremely disappointing to be left hanging! A&E, at least give fans some closure.

22. BonnieW says:

I haven’t stopped wondering what’s going to happen to Jim….I’m another viwer who thinks Ray’s mother did it. C’mon A&E….don’t do this to us!!

23. StoneyFF says:

Duck you, A&E. When you screw fans by cancelling after a cliffhanger, they tend not to forget. Personally, I’ll be writing to your sponsors and advising them that they are wasting their money putting their ads on A&E (A$$holes & Eggheads).

For those of you talking Boycott, you need to boycott the sponsors and let the sponsors know why. Telling A&E you won’t watch won’t do any good, they could care less what you say.

• Carolyn says:

Stay with ‘em, Stoney!! You are absolutely right…..hit ‘em in their bottom line! Look what it is doing to Rush!!

24. Ottis C Bridges says:

You suck

25. kate says:

Another TV show that is left hanging in the air due to the recent development that seasons do not get a proper wrap-up (let’s not kid ourselves, there is never going to be a movie). This show has gone from better to worse somewhere mid-season 3 and I am not surprised that it has been cancelled. But: why does every season of every show now need to end with a cliffhanger? All it does is not make me watch any shows that might be canned, well-knowing that it’s likely I won’t get a proper ending. Haven’t watched this season’s (and now series’) finale and now I won’t bother catching up.

26. RobD381 says:

Man, to have 3 successful shows on a network like A&E was awesome!! Give the dog and pony shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC a run for their money! Why cancel shows that are good? What is wrong with these people? You were on a roll! I loved the Glades.

27. Brendan says:

So much rubbish on the airwaves – and good scripted shows like this get cancelled. I guess we should all feel lucky that we got this many seasons…. but usually if it makes it past two season, they get proper sendoffs and not sudden cancellations. What gives!!!

28. Ethel says:

This year the quality of the show went downhill and a lot of viewers seemed turned off by 2 things: the wedding arc and Jim’s attitude of arresting everyone and somehow he became a turn off. However, the finale was great and I am sad to see the show end and we viewers being deprived any kind of happy ending. Who knew Jim had bought the house for Callie…..his co-workers who were all at the wedding and the witsec marshal. Did he tell anyone else? Yep, Ray’s mother was acting strange at the end when she drove off, but did she know about the new house? Don’t care if the show comes back but want my Matt Passmore and Carlos Gomez.

29. Genise says:

They need to renew both shows Glades & Longmire do away some reality shows,what are they thinking and also older people like good shows.PLEASE reconsider! There are just to many reality shows almost everything on TV is reality – these are two great shows. I sure hope they reconsider and bring back Glades. I have watched since it first came on and hate to see it go so more trash can come on.

• Carolyn says:

It should be clear by now that noone cares about the older viewer. Before cable/satillite came to my neck o’ the woods, we had over a dozen channels of clear broadcast TV reception. Cable was a hard sell with me. All of us complained about reruns in the summer. Now we are almost FORCED to have cable and it’s almost all back to back reruns from broadcast TV and we are PAYING for it. It was at least 40 years before cable actually came up with some original programing and now they are cancelling it in favor of the crap they were showing back when TV was first invented. What a bunch of morons!! Oh, WAIT! ……most peopleare too young to remember free tv AND original PROGRAMING! My bad.

30. JoAnn says:

OMG! How could they. There’s no closure or anything. What bums they are. If they go and cancel Longmire now, I too am done with A&E.

31. Rusty says:

Folks, you have to remember that it is all about money. Reality shows cost a tenth of any other type of show. Why on earth Duck Dynasty is popular, I’ll never know. But it’s cheaper to pay the hillbilly’s and charge advertising much more than a comedy/drama could bring in.

32. Cathy says:

I LOVE this show. I am really not happy about this….how can they just leave it with a cliffhanger like this!!! Who’s starting the “Save The Glades” Petition?????

33. tina says:

Nooooo!!!!!!!! They can’t leave us hanging like this. I’ve watched this show since the beginning. Very disappointed with A & E. Hopefully they will do a special to wrap everything up.

34. Bruce says:

Here is A & E’s phone number (212) 210 1400. Hope everyone one starts calling them on Tuesday. Tie up the phones for a week and see if it does any good. Every one have a good Labor Day weekend.

35. Tina says:

I think it was Cally’s friend whose husband almost died and Cally turned in. Revenge – husband for husband. Too bad we will never know. I think cancellations need to be done earlier for good story telling and the fans?

36. Paul says:

Shame, I really enjoy this show.

37. Gelliss says:

Then networks wonder why their ratings are in the dumper? People are just so tired of following serialized dramas only to feel cheated in the end. This is as much the writers fault as A&E. They shouldn’t have left a huge cliffhanger like this without knowing they’d be coming back to wrap it up.

38. Chynna says:

Very upset by this! The viewers deserve some sort of closure! A movie or something to tie up the loose ends! Please reconsider!!!!!!! SMH

39. Wendi Simons says:

Cancel The Glades? Then cancel the A&E network, they suck. Stupid, stupid reality (?) shows for morons. Well, we all know you can’t cure stupid.

The Glades was so great and the only show my husband watched for every episode. Jim was one of the few really nice guys and funny as well.

40. This is why after they canceled The Beast and The Cleaner, I said I would never watch another show from this network. They never end their shows without proper clousure!

41. Jo says:

I also watched every episode of Glades….How could they leave us hanging like this!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Joan says:

Another good series cancelled when the ratings were up – especially when the story line ended on a cliffhanger with the main star being shot.

43. Jd says:

I am so disappointed. I love this show.

44. Tina B says:

NO!!! This was one of my favorite series!!! I watched it faithfully every week. :(
    Very upset that it was cancelled!
    You should at least do a few more episodes to pack it up. :/

45. Rebecca says:

Very disappointing. I really enjoyed this show. So much better than the reality garbage that is all over the tube.

46. Bernadette says:

In the event we can’t get through to A&E by phone, does anyone know if they can be reached by email.

47. What a way to lose faithful viewers A&E! NOT a very smart move.

48. BrendaLT says:

I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!
    Going to find A&E’s email and send them a boat load of mail!!
    This better be a big error on A&E’s part!

49. JoAnne Richter says:

The Glades gone? This is infuriating! High ratings & Millions of fans? How do you decide who leaves & stays? Picking folded papers out of a hat, or shooting darts? Apparently it’s not by viewers choice or by ratings. LOOK at the STATS AGAIN!! I believe you’ll change your mind about cancelling MY FAVORITE SHOW!!!

50. JoAnne Richter says:

Maybe we need to start a PETITION or something to that effect!?!