Cop, Out: The Glades Cancelled By A&E

Get More: Cancellations, News

The Glades CancelledTalk about a lousy (non-)wedding gift: Just days after The Glades scored season-high ratings with its Season 4 finale, A&E has officially cancelled the Florida-based procedural.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Menace to Raise Hell on A&E’s Bates Motel

The series on Monday night wrapped up its fourth season with an audience of 3.4 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — also marking all-time highs for a finale.

Sadly, that season-ender also left groom-to-be Jim’s life in flux, shot as he was by an unseen assailant.

RELATED | Alias Alum Checks Into A&E’s Bates Motel as Norma’s [Spoiler]

On Thursday, A&E’s other Monday-night drama, Longmire, took a big step toward seeming a Season 2 pick-up when exec producer John Coveny claimed as much on Twitter — though the cabler has yet to confirm the good news.

Tags: ,

Comments (834)

• PLEASE, PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW! ONE OF THE BEST ON TV THAT A FAMILY CAN WATCH TOGETHER! DON’T DO IT!

Comment by JEANNETTE GARTRELL – August 30, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so glad so many agree with me. Not a lot of gratuitous violence and sex. just an easy going pleasure to watch. To fall in love with all the characters. Shame on you, A & E. I also love Longmire. Good show. Good writing. Original scripting. no more assanine reality shows. I just watched the new “Evil’ show with Charisma Carpenter, who I love. however, the show sucks. I didn’t even watch the entire episode. I know it’s not on A&E, but it’s that kind of crap that needs to come off.

Comment by Maribeth Campbell – August 30, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I completely HATE cliffhangers. Maybe another network will pick it up. Can always hope.

Comment by GeeMa – August 30, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why, Oh Why cancel a show that so many enjoyed????? All that is being left to watch are untrue reality show or just plain stupid shows. I LOVED THE GLADES AND NEVER MISSED IT OR LONGMIRE. Who makes the choices of what goes and what comes on or back on? Whoever it is needs to get in touch with the viewers and/or find a new j
    ob…

Comment by ellamay – August 30, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I AGREE RE BOTH SHOWS. LOVE LONGMIRE, ALSO! I’M CURIOUS. WHO MAKES THESE DECISIONS??????????????????

Comment by JEANNETTE GARTRELL – August 30, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t cancel The Glades!!!!

Comment by Tara – August 30, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do the morons who make these decisions even know what’s going on in the show? Or are they so anxious to replace it with another cheap lame reality show that they just don’t care. Other networks have announced cancellations, but allowed their shows a few more episodes to resolve the storyline. This is really bad for public relations A&E, I hope you know that!

Comment by Jay – August 30, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ….Duck Dynasty, what a poor excuse for television. like honey boo boo being a boo boo in itself. The people that watch that crap need to get an education.

Comment by Maribeth Campbell – August 30, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t dare cancel Longmire. Great show. Can hardly wait until it returns

Comment by Patricia Reed – August 30, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? what kind of sadistic person cancels a show on a cliffhanger? They couldn’t have even had the decency to grant the show a final season (even a half season) to give some closer? SO ANGRY

Comment by televisiontalks – August 30, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Glades had a fantastic hanging ending and I wanted to see what happen! I am disappointed in A&E for cancelling The Glades!

Comment by Dale – August 30, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt,

Any way you could ask the producers and/or writers how they would have ended it? I would LOVE to know! Would LOVE a wrap up ep or movie!!

Comment by Robin – August 30, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you FREAKING kidding me? This is some serious BULL$HIT! What is wrong w/the stupid channels. First TNT cancels Leverage for no reason. Now A&E cancels The Glades. I look forward EVERY summer for this show and always wish they’d give us more episodes but now you not only cancel it but you leave us hanging. WAY TO GO A&E YOU SUCK BIG TIME

Comment by bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) – August 30, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly, A&E has no interest in scripted programming. Other than The Glades and Longmire, they show nothing but garbage reality. I have no reason to watch the channel. Let the ship Longmire over to Lifetime and go all garbage, all the time. When a la carte cable comes, I’ll never see A&E again.

Comment by Marc – August 30, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE ..Reality shows Cheap ,Cheap, to produce,1/3 of the budget of a scripted show…

Comment by D.R – August 30, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unbeleivable…. I hate hate hate when networks cancel shows w/o letting the writers know. The writers (and actors) have as much invested in the show as the viewers. There should always be a way to wrap up every show coming to an end. For all of us….

Comment by Levi – August 30, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT!!! How could they cancel and leave Jim laying on the floor shot!!!! What are they thinking!!!! That is just crazy it is a great show!!! Way to go A & E

Comment by Kristi – August 30, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed they’re cancelling The Glades. That show and Longmire are good watching. Reconsider, please.

Comment by Judy – August 30, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope the showrunners shop this great show to different networks. Leverage had a plan to write a proper season finale for their show at the end of S5 before they knew for sure if they would be renewed on TNT. I am glad they did. since it got cancelled as well.. I would have surely liked it better if Jim and Callie got married, just in case the show got cancelled as it did. Guess all the networks like this new swing toward reality shows, which is ok, since they get good ratings, and it always comes down to money and business decisions, but there is a place for good shows like The Glades, and Leverage too. Season finales need to have storylines wrapped up in this business climate within the networks. No more cliffhangers unless they are mid season, would be safer. Now I am concerned for White Collar on USA since they cut episode count this season.

Comment by JBC – August 30, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m worried about White Collar too. First they move it to the fall. Ick. Then they move it to Thursdays. Yikes. Then they cut the already too short season. Ugh. And I’ve heard its gonna end on a big cliffhangar too.

Comment by Levi – August 30, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The lead character can’t die but A&E is officially dead to me. End of story indeed.

Comment by Micki – August 30, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A&E better renew Longmire sooner rather than later. :-(

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 30, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just want to air my discontent with A&E too. Watched from the beginning and they should give us a wrap up ending. Geez- no respect for the viewers. Wonder what the actors thought about getting the boot?

Comment by KAY F – August 30, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed … invested some serious time into this show … should have changed the writers instead of ending it. A&E in its inception stood for good programming. Looks like now its pandering to the lowerst common denominator … I’m quite p’d off. And I waited 4 years for them to get married … this last half of the shows I waited for the writers to stop writing Jim as flippant every time he arrested someone … that’s not how the character was originally written and what made Jim interesting to watch. If you stop watching A&E, make sure you get in touch with your cable company and ask them to remove A&E from your cable package … it has to hurt in the pocket book these days for big tv to pay any attention to your boycott of this station.

Comment by Nancy L. – August 30, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they cancel Longmire, thats exactly what I will be doing, Nancy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment by Carolyn – August 31, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show! After watching for four seasons it is extremely disappointing to be left hanging! A&E, at least give fans some closure.

Comment by JJ – August 30, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t stopped wondering what’s going to happen to Jim….I’m another viwer who thinks Ray’s mother did it. C’mon A&E….don’t do this to us!!

Comment by BonnieW – August 30, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Duck you, A&E. When you screw fans by cancelling after a cliffhanger, they tend not to forget. Personally, I’ll be writing to your sponsors and advising them that they are wasting their money putting their ads on A&E (A$$holes & Eggheads).

For those of you talking Boycott, you need to boycott the sponsors and let the sponsors know why. Telling A&E you won’t watch won’t do any good, they could care less what you say.

Comment by StoneyFF – August 30, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stay with ‘em, Stoney!! You are absolutely right…..hit ‘em in their bottom line! Look what it is doing to Rush!!

Comment by Carolyn – August 31, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You suck

Comment by Ottis C Bridges – August 30, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another TV show that is left hanging in the air due to the recent development that seasons do not get a proper wrap-up (let’s not kid ourselves, there is never going to be a movie). This show has gone from better to worse somewhere mid-season 3 and I am not surprised that it has been cancelled. But: why does every season of every show now need to end with a cliffhanger? All it does is not make me watch any shows that might be canned, well-knowing that it’s likely I won’t get a proper ending. Haven’t watched this season’s (and now series’) finale and now I won’t bother catching up.

Comment by kate – August 31, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, to have 3 successful shows on a network like A&E was awesome!! Give the dog and pony shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC a run for their money! Why cancel shows that are good? What is wrong with these people? You were on a roll! I loved the Glades.

Comment by RobD381 – August 31, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much rubbish on the airwaves – and good scripted shows like this get cancelled. I guess we should all feel lucky that we got this many seasons…. but usually if it makes it past two season, they get proper sendoffs and not sudden cancellations. What gives!!!

Comment by Brendan – August 31, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This year the quality of the show went downhill and a lot of viewers seemed turned off by 2 things: the wedding arc and Jim’s attitude of arresting everyone and somehow he became a turn off. However, the finale was great and I am sad to see the show end and we viewers being deprived any kind of happy ending. Who knew Jim had bought the house for Callie…..his co-workers who were all at the wedding and the witsec marshal. Did he tell anyone else? Yep, Ray’s mother was acting strange at the end when she drove off, but did she know about the new house? Don’t care if the show comes back but want my Matt Passmore and Carlos Gomez.

Comment by Ethel – August 31, 2013 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to renew both shows Glades & Longmire do away some reality shows,what are they thinking and also older people like good shows.PLEASE reconsider! There are just to many reality shows almost everything on TV is reality – these are two great shows. I sure hope they reconsider and bring back Glades. I have watched since it first came on and hate to see it go so more trash can come on.

Comment by Genise – August 31, 2013 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be clear by now that noone cares about the older viewer. Before cable/satillite came to my neck o’ the woods, we had over a dozen channels of clear broadcast TV reception. Cable was a hard sell with me. All of us complained about reruns in the summer. Now we are almost FORCED to have cable and it’s almost all back to back reruns from broadcast TV and we are PAYING for it. It was at least 40 years before cable actually came up with some original programing and now they are cancelling it in favor of the crap they were showing back when TV was first invented. What a bunch of morons!! Oh, WAIT! ……most peopleare too young to remember free tv AND original PROGRAMING! My bad.

Comment by Carolyn – August 31, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! How could they. There’s no closure or anything. What bums they are. If they go and cancel Longmire now, I too am done with A&E.

Comment by JoAnn – August 31, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Folks, you have to remember that it is all about money. Reality shows cost a tenth of any other type of show. Why on earth Duck Dynasty is popular, I’ll never know. But it’s cheaper to pay the hillbilly’s and charge advertising much more than a comedy/drama could bring in.

Comment by Rusty – August 31, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show. I am really not happy about this….how can they just leave it with a cliffhanger like this!!! Who’s starting the “Save The Glades” Petition?????

Comment by Cathy – August 31, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cathy here is A & E’s phone #. (212) 210 1400. I’m going to start calling them on Tuesday. And will keep calling them all week. Tie up their phones.

Comment by Bruce – August 31, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Great Idea! I’ll start calling also!

Comment by JEANNETTE GARTRELL – August 31, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If there is a “Save The Glades” petition, hope I know about it. Will definitely sign!

Comment by Bernadette – August 31, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo!!!!!!!! They can’t leave us hanging like this. I’ve watched this show since the beginning. Very disappointed with A & E. Hopefully they will do a special to wrap everything up.

Comment by tina – August 31, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is A & E’s phone number (212) 210 1400. Hope everyone one starts calling them on Tuesday. Tie up the phones for a week and see if it does any good. Every one have a good Labor Day weekend.

Comment by Bruce – August 31, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was Cally’s friend whose husband almost died and Cally turned in. Revenge – husband for husband. Too bad we will never know. I think cancellations need to be done earlier for good story telling and the fans?

Comment by Tina – August 31, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame, I really enjoy this show.

Comment by Paul – August 31, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Then networks wonder why their ratings are in the dumper? People are just so tired of following serialized dramas only to feel cheated in the end. This is as much the writers fault as A&E. They shouldn’t have left a huge cliffhanger like this without knowing they’d be coming back to wrap it up.

Comment by Gelliss – August 31, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very upset by this! The viewers deserve some sort of closure! A movie or something to tie up the loose ends! Please reconsider!!!!!!! SMH

Comment by Chynna – August 31, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel The Glades? Then cancel the A&E network, they suck. Stupid, stupid reality (?) shows for morons. Well, we all know you can’t cure stupid.

The Glades was so great and the only show my husband watched for every episode. Jim was one of the few really nice guys and funny as well.

Comment by Wendi Simons – August 31, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why after they canceled The Beast and The Cleaner, I said I would never watch another show from this network. They never end their shows without proper clousure!

Comment by αrmαиndo α. – August 31, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also watched every episode of Glades….How could they leave us hanging like this!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jo – August 31, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another good series cancelled when the ratings were up – especially when the story line ended on a cliffhanger with the main star being shot.

Comment by Joan – August 31, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed. I love this show.

Comment by Jd – August 31, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!! This was one of my favorite series!!! I watched it faithfully every week. :(
    Very upset that it was cancelled!
    You should at least do a few more episodes to pack it up. :/

Comment by Tina B – August 31, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointing. I really enjoyed this show. So much better than the reality garbage that is all over the tube.

Comment by Rebecca – August 31, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the event we can’t get through to A&E by phone, does anyone know if they can be reached by email.

Comment by Bernadette – August 31, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a way to lose faithful viewers A&E! NOT a very smart move.

Comment by Annette Nishimoto – August 31, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!
    Going to find A&E’s email and send them a boat load of mail!!
    This better be a big error on A&E’s part!

Comment by BrendaLT – August 31, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sure as heck hope it was definitely a HUGE MISTAKE! Absolutely my Favorite Show!

Comment by JoAnne Richter – August 31, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Glades gone? This is infuriating! High ratings & Millions of fans? How do you decide who leaves & stays? Picking folded papers out of a hat, or shooting darts? Apparently it’s not by viewers choice or by ratings. LOOK at the STATS AGAIN!! I believe you’ll change your mind about cancelling MY FAVORITE SHOW!!!

Comment by JoAnne Richter – August 31, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe we need to start a PETITION or something to that effect!?!

Comment by JoAnne Richter – August 31, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. A petition might help. It can’t hurt.

Comment by Bernadette – August 31, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can we get a petition started? I’m still calling A&E on Tuesday

Comment by Jeannette – August 31, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Have never started a petition and don’t know how to start one. Surely someone out there knows how and will get one started. I plan to call A&E on Tuesday.

Comment by Bernadette – August 31, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would start one but I have no idea whatsoever to do it. Definitely not a computer pro!

Comment by JoAnne Richter – August 31, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post