Cop, Out: The Glades Cancelled By A&E

Get More: Cancellations, News

The Glades CancelledTalk about a lousy (non-)wedding gift: Just days after The Glades scored season-high ratings with its Season 4 finale, A&E has officially cancelled the Florida-based procedural.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Menace to Raise Hell on A&E’s Bates Motel

The series on Monday night wrapped up its fourth season with an audience of 3.4 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — also marking all-time highs for a finale.

Sadly, that season-ender also left groom-to-be Jim’s life in flux, shot as he was by an unseen assailant.

RELATED | Alias Alum Checks Into A&E’s Bates Motel as Norma’s [Spoiler]

On Thursday, A&E’s other Monday-night drama, Longmire, took a big step toward seeming a Season 2 pick-up when exec producer John Coveny claimed as much on Twitter — though the cabler has yet to confirm the good news.

Tags: ,

Comments (833)

• The writers need to take some of the blame for ending the season of a cliffhanger. They are writers of a show on a network that does not have a history of having multiple scripted shows on the air at the same time. There show was also the lowest rated of the three scripted shows on A@E, and they knew that A@E picked up a new series for 2014.

Comment by johnhelvete – August 30, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire would be a Season 3 pickup, I believe. We just saw Season 2.

Comment by jdbasset – August 30, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A&E – The Glades was the reason I watched Longmire. Friends comes over on Monday to watch CBS (I’m in Time Warner blackout zone) and watched this me and said that she had never watched and realized it was a good show. They had a convert there. Had they already shot the Part 2 of the finale? Can we see that?

Comment by Missy Kelly – August 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Record ratings , all time high for a finale and you cancel a show? You’re doing it wrong, A&E!

Comment by Jerri – August 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame on A&E! A great show with an excellent cast. Bad decision.

Comment by Amy – August 30, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That sucks!!!! I liked The Glades. Good summer fun. And they HAVE to let them do a movie or something to end it proper. UGH….

Comment by sladewilson – August 30, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • efffff yoouuuuuu A&E.

Comment by writergirl – August 30, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, No No! I have stopped shopping at Walmart, Target and JC Penny for their stupid moves and I WILL stop watching A&E if one of their best shows is not returned to air. If you think the script needs to be better or more interesting MAKE IT SO! That is your stinking job! Com’mon people voice your opinions !

Comment by Stephenie – August 30, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I’m so over A&E and will boycott any of their advertisers.

Comment by wendi888 – August 31, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this STINKS…..i can NOT believe, they pulled this crap…..if i’m not wrong another network, pulled something like this before….left it with a cliffhanger……and to those who think it’s Ray behind it…..i think, your right…..seems odd that he’d suddenly go missing, around the time of the wedding.

alisa

Comment by Alisa Neely – August 30, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally I don’t think Ray “went missing” but rather the Marshall supposedly “watching” him just said he did. By how totally weird the Marshall has been acting, I totally think he was in on it – even if he isn’t the one that pulled the trigger.

But… then there’s also Ray’s mom…. who was acting uber suspicious when she dropped off Jeff to the wedding…

Comment by Tiph – August 31, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But they will keep all of the crappy mindless staged so called reality shows

Comment by Shib Neddeff – August 30, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooo. I am so disappointed with A&E that I think I’m taking a looooong break from them. And this was filmed in and around my hometown. Ugh, A&E…. really dislike you right now!!!!

Comment by Eliza – August 30, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are u frickin kidding me,you guys suck ass!!! i loved the glades,what a frickin cop out…dumb asses!!!

Comment by marie – August 30, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching Glades from the very beginning and am so disappointed that it would stop where it did. It is an awesome show. If it is going to be cancelled we atleast need one more season instead of leaving us all hanging. A&E seasons are short anyway why not 6 or 7 more. I am so disappointed!!!!!!

Comment by Kim – August 30, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wtf,I’ve been waiting 4 seasons for this wedding. The least they can do for The Glades loyal viewers is to wrap up the story lines. IDIOTS

Comment by Lina – August 30, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY this mode to left tv shows unfinished when they are cancelled???????.

Comment by Alia – August 30, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I groused to the writers on Twitter. They tweeted me back that this isn’t the way the wanted to end it and are sorry they have to leave us there. Well that doesn’t do us fans any good. They shouldn’t have written a stupid cliffhanger in the first place. Cancellation is always a possibilty now a days, with all the networks looking to make stuff on the cheap with stupid reality shows.

Comment by Linda – August 30, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen Linda.

Comment by Bruce – August 30, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, they could at least tell us how they planned on proceeding – ie – whotheheck shot Jim and do he and Callie ever get their happilyeverafter…!?!

Comment by Tiph – August 31, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COME ON WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A STUPID THING? i JUST STARTED WATCHING AGAIN AS I CAN’T WATCH SHOWS AND RECORD AT THE SAME TIME.
    WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. STUPID! STUPID !STUPID !

Comment by Sharon – August 30, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is A & E thinking! They cancel The Glades. But they run Duck Dynasty into the ground.

Comment by Bruce – August 30, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duck Dynasty is probably cheaper to make than The Glades & Longmire combined.

Comment by Jerri – August 30, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duck Dynasty is what allows A&E to make Bates Motel, Longmire and The Glades as well as their entire scripted drama development slate. Just be glad we no longer have Dog the Bounty Hunter although I’m kinda sad Gene Simmons’ Family Jewels is gone.

Comment by James – August 31, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I loved this show!

Comment by Kimberly Campbell – August 30, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To stupid for words! What is wrong with A&E! Change your mind and bring back Glades!

Comment by K Templeton – August 30, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope they dump quack dynasty and spend money on The Glades.

Comment by Bruce – August 30, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 75 years old and have not missed one episode of GLADES since it started. It is one of the better programs on tvm and a&e decided to cancel it, for whatm another reality show that we do not need. Hopefully a&e will reconsider before they loose all their viewers on
    sunday

Comment by Eileen – August 30, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Make the decision a bit earlier and they could have wrapped everything up nicely based on where the story was instead of just leaving us hanging. Will have to think seriously before starting another A&E show.

Comment by MAS – August 30, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated Callie. She was terrible and brought the show down.

Comment by B – August 30, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised it was canceled. The writing this year was terrible. Don’t like that this A&E show also ended on a cliffhanger like Breakout Kings did.

Comment by mspenn1013 – August 30, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The writing really sucked. I got so tired of the SAME way each mystery unfolded. It was exactly the same everytime. Its like they took all the depth out of the characters and storyline.

Comment by Liza180 – August 30, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i AM BROKEN HEARTED I AM SO UPSET WITH A&E. I WILL NO LONGER WATCH THEIR SHOWS NO MATTER WHAT. I LIKED LONGMIRE TOO BUT I WONT WATCH ANYTHING ON A&E NETWORK EVER AGAIN.

Comment by Terry Delp – August 30, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONE MORE THING I THINK IT WAS RAY’S MOTHER THAT SHOT JIM

Comment by tdelp – August 30, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I’m really surprised by this. I didn’t think the storylines were that great this season and it was getting monotonous, but it finally GOT good again with Jim getting shot on his wedding day. I felt like the writers were either A)getting lazy or B)being told by the suits what to write and how to write. Jim getting shot was sort of a copout, but it was still more interesting and made me want to watch the mystery of who did it unfold. Now we’ll never find out what happened. I’m a little irritated at this end. Especially since A&E promoted the cliffhanger.

Comment by Liza180 – August 30, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree LIZA180.

Comment by Bruce – August 30, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had never watched A&E before but I got hooked on this show and Longmire and watched it every week. I simply cannot believe anyone would end a season with this episode and not give the show closure. Trust me I will not ever watch this station again…I can forget about Longmire as well!!!! Just horrible planning and very upsetting for anyone who watched previous seasons. If CBS did this to NCIS I would go stand on their doorstep and give them a piec
    e of my 66 year old mind!!!!

Comment by Jane Akl – August 30, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regarding Longmire, it’s waiting on a season 3 renewal, not 2.

Comment by S – August 30, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe The Glades and Longmire should jump ship and go over to FX. They have room now that they started FXX. Longmire would go well with Justified. Hell On Wheels would go well with Longmire too!

Comment by Bruce – August 30, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If a network is going to cancel a TV show, they should at least tell the writers that they are being canceled, so they don’t end the show on a stupid cliffhanger. I’m so mad at A&E for canceling Glades like that. At least give them one more season, or half-season, or movie to wrap things up!!!

I’m not watching A&E anymore, until they fix this!

Comment by Erica – August 30, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved “The Glades”. At the very least, A&E owes viewers an ending. Would prefer they reconsider the cancellation and bring the show back. If I don’t get closure, A&E is off my tv watch list.

Comment by Bernadette – August 30, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really guys, threatening A&E that you will never watch their channel again…..I understand being upset, I am too, but that’s no different than a child throwing a temper tantrum because he didn’t get his way when we all know that as soon as this news calms down you’ll be right back there. Relax, it’s just a TV show.

Comment by wrstlgirl – August 30, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1st: i am so DAMN SICK AND TIRED of the following comment: “it’s just a tv show”….it’s getting really OLD.

2) it’s NOT the first time fans of a show have talked of BOYCOTTING a network, because their favorite show(s) have been REMOVED for some STUPID reason….when ABC took “all my children” & “one life to live” off for talk shows….the fans said they’d STOP watching ABC.

3) this was a STUPID move for A & E….with the HIGH ratings it got for the season final and the cliffhanger…..the fans of “jim and callie” have WAITED a long time for this wedding….and this is the payoff they get?…..and for there to be NO real reason given.

Comment by Alisa Neely – August 30, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 1. The threats are stupid 2. I never said it was the first time.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – August 30, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it’s now very easy for me to walk away since I do not watch any of their “reality” shows. And after doing this to a show that has been on the network for several years… it makes me hesitant to watch their scripted shows anymore. Unfortunately, Longmire will probably go soon….so buh-bye.

Comment by Eliza – August 30, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are some people who have nothing to do (illness, handicapped, etc.) but look at TV. Too many reality shows and programs like Glades and Longmire bring joy for them. Think about this, please!

Comment by JEANNETTE GARTRELL – August 30, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really like Bates Motel and its been renewed, love Longmire and I believe its renewal will be official any day now. I will miss The Glades but other than the cliffhanger the writing really wasnt that great. JMO.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – August 30, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, Longmire will be renewed but, after this, I don”t give it a long shelf life with A&E. Too many “reality” shows on this network and it seems they prefer that crap…so it is easy for me to say goodbye.

Comment by Eliza – August 30, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a bitch, it was not a bad show, i liked all the characters, they could at least finish it>

Comment by Greg – August 30, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Bad move A&E..

Comment by Tami Fletcher – August 30, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let us be honest here, folks, this last season was truly awful! I despair at the failure of the writers room, in letting the show descend into a poorly written cliché. Then to optimistically end it with a cliffhanger, when the rating showed the show’s demographic sliding into middle-aged, single white female, mad cat lady audience only. The show went on a season long wedding planning detour, and did not make any effort with the shows core subject of crime solving.

Shows like Castle show that the “Moonlighting” curse is a myth, but The Glades ignored all the lessons from historical failures, and grasped the “shark jumping” concept of reveling in the romance at the expense of the shows core purpose.

Comment by Noble Lox – August 30, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I do like the show and have watched from the beginning. I think all are to blame.Writers, directors, and even sometimes actors.

Comment by Dory – September 21, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF !!! Why do I bother getting into good shows and watch them be cancelled for the likes of Duck Dynasty. Glades was a fantastic show and to cancel the show and leave us loyal fans bleeding on the kitchen floor is as cold as the assailant !!! Bring it back !!!

Comment by Garianne Gringa Fuentes – August 30, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was cancelled because of the stupid love story. Callie was horrid.

Comment by Jd – August 30, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved Callie and Jim together, only really got nto the show the last couple of seasons. All I want is a two hour movie for closure.

Comment by Maryann – August 31, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope they come back with a 2 hour special episode to give us closure too. But still I will miss it. He had such a smart mouth; thought all the characters were good in their own way.

Comment by JoAnn – August 31, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. KIA must have pulled out, my husband and I jokingly call it the car commercial. We kept watching though because we loved the characters. We were disappointed with the (series) finale and the first thing we did was look to see if it had been renewed. Sad day.

Comment by Lilacbarries – August 30, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh no, I was dreading this news, how can they leave us on that cliffhanger!? Matt can you get us an interview with the Glades producers and get us some closure? Please!!

Comment by Bre – August 30, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is horrible.We watched the Glades from the beginning thinking it would be around alot longer.These stupid realty shows will be the end of good ratings for A&E.I won’t ever watch it again without Glades.

Comment by barbara – August 30, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A&E….You Suck !!!! I am getting so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Debra Hensley – August 30, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!!!?? Another great show is cut!!! This is Happening too often…what?…are too many older people enjoying this show? It has been said many times that the networks are trying to appeal to younger people…so even though these shows are getting high ratings and lots of viewers they are cancelled…I may have to sign off TV and start watching movies!! Hello Networks…not everyone likes or watches Reality Shows!

Comment by Penny – August 30, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! How dumb to cancel Glades. I get so tired of these shows leaving you hanging. They could give us aces more shows to tie up loose ends. I have to agree I don’t watch reality shows and who watches reality shows any way? Not to many that is why people don’t get into shows any more, they leaving hanging out to dry as a viewer.

Comment by Pat – August 30, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wtf is all I’m saying, ill never watch this channel, unless the glades is back on

Comment by Joe – August 30, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching since day one. I enjoy reading about where the scenes were filmed. I live in the area and enjoyed seeing my neighborhood and a few of my friends as extras. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS. NO MORE A&E FOR ME.

Comment by Pam Mendez – August 30, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sucks!
    I really enjoyed the show. It sucks for the people that have been there since day 1 to not get a last season to wrap things up!!!!!!

Comment by sarah – August 30, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I somehow knew this would happen. I hate when cable shows end on cliff hangers bc of the more likely it is for them to be cancelled but A&E should have at least renewed for a last season or movie at least. Now we won’t know what Jim’s date is….. This is Southland all over again. Da**it!

Comment by Bill – August 30, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unbelievable. I’m so sick of the reality shows….and A & E had a great Monday night lineup of must-see tv for me..The Glades and then Longmire. I’m really, really upset about this. At least wrap up the storylines with a movie…but better to reconsider and tell us you’re renewing it!

Comment by Holly – August 30, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a Joke! I watch over 50 different TV shows throughout the year and this one was in my top 5 and still in my top 8. And top 3 for summer shows!!!! And Dexter is over so it would move to #2!!!!! You suck A&E! I never watched A&E until the glades but now I am never watching a&e again!

Comment by BRUTUS – August 30, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is terrible news. Totally unfair especially with that cliffhanger. If they were going to cancel they should have told the show before the finale.

Comment by Jen – August 30, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • look what CBS did to the actors of WITHOUT A TRACE….they pulled the plug after the fact….and cut into PILOT SEASON for the actors…and imo, we don’t know what happened to the characters of that 1….danny and his girl were off to marry….but, what about the others?…..it stinks.

Comment by Alisa Neely – August 30, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post