Cop, Out: The Glades Cancelled By A&E

The Glades CancelledTalk about a lousy (non-)wedding gift: Just days after The Glades scored season-high ratings with its Season 4 finale, A&E has officially cancelled the Florida-based procedural.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Menace to Raise Hell on A&E’s Bates Motel

The series on Monday night wrapped up its fourth season with an audience of 3.4 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — also marking all-time highs for a finale.

Sadly, that season-ender also left groom-to-be Jim’s life in flux, shot as he was by an unseen assailant.

RELATED | Alias Alum Checks Into A&E’s Bates Motel as Norma’s [Spoiler]

On Thursday, A&E’s other Monday-night drama, Longmire, took a big step toward seeming a Season 2 pick-up when exec producer John Coveny claimed as much on Twitter — though the cabler has yet to confirm the good news.

1. johnhelvete says:

The writers need to take some of the blame for ending the season of a cliffhanger. They are writers of a show on a network that does not have a history of having multiple scripted shows on the air at the same time. There show was also the lowest rated of the three scripted shows on A@E, and they knew that A@E picked up a new series for 2014.

2. jdbasset says:

Longmire would be a Season 3 pickup, I believe. We just saw Season 2.

3. Missy Kelly says:

A&E – The Glades was the reason I watched Longmire. Friends comes over on Monday to watch CBS (I’m in Time Warner blackout zone) and watched this me and said that she had never watched and realized it was a good show. They had a convert there. Had they already shot the Part 2 of the finale? Can we see that?

4. Jerri says:

Record ratings , all time high for a finale and you cancel a show? You’re doing it wrong, A&E!

5. Amy says:

Shame on A&E! A great show with an excellent cast. Bad decision.

6. sladewilson says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That sucks!!!! I liked The Glades. Good summer fun. And they HAVE to let them do a movie or something to end it proper. UGH….

7. writergirl says:

efffff yoouuuuuu A&E.

8. Stephenie says:

No, No No! I have stopped shopping at Walmart, Target and JC Penny for their stupid moves and I WILL stop watching A&E if one of their best shows is not returned to air. If you think the script needs to be better or more interesting MAKE IT SO! That is your stinking job! Com’mon people voice your opinions !

9. Alisa Neely says:

this STINKS…..i can NOT believe, they pulled this crap…..if i’m not wrong another network, pulled something like this before….left it with a cliffhanger……and to those who think it’s Ray behind it…..i think, your right…..seems odd that he’d suddenly go missing, around the time of the wedding.

alisa

• Tiph says:

Personally I don’t think Ray “went missing” but rather the Marshall supposedly “watching” him just said he did. By how totally weird the Marshall has been acting, I totally think he was in on it – even if he isn’t the one that pulled the trigger.

But… then there’s also Ray’s mom…. who was acting uber suspicious when she dropped off Jeff to the wedding…

10. Shib Neddeff says:

But they will keep all of the crappy mindless staged so called reality shows

11. Eliza says:

Boooooo. I am so disappointed with A&E that I think I’m taking a looooong break from them. And this was filmed in and around my hometown. Ugh, A&E…. really dislike you right now!!!!

12. marie says:

are u frickin kidding me,you guys suck ass!!! i loved the glades,what a frickin cop out…dumb asses!!!

13. Kim says:

I have been watching Glades from the very beginning and am so disappointed that it would stop where it did. It is an awesome show. If it is going to be cancelled we atleast need one more season instead of leaving us all hanging. A&E seasons are short anyway why not 6 or 7 more. I am so disappointed!!!!!!

14. Lina says:

Wtf,I’ve been waiting 4 seasons for this wedding. The least they can do for The Glades loyal viewers is to wrap up the story lines. IDIOTS

15. Alia says:

WHY this mode to left tv shows unfinished when they are cancelled???????.

• Linda says:

I groused to the writers on Twitter. They tweeted me back that this isn’t the way the wanted to end it and are sorry they have to leave us there. Well that doesn’t do us fans any good. They shouldn’t have written a stupid cliffhanger in the first place. Cancellation is always a possibilty now a days, with all the networks looking to make stuff on the cheap with stupid reality shows.

16. Sharon says:

COME ON WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A STUPID THING? i JUST STARTED WATCHING AGAIN AS I CAN’T WATCH SHOWS AND RECORD AT THE SAME TIME.
    WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. STUPID! STUPID !STUPID !

17. Bruce says:

What is A & E thinking! They cancel The Glades. But they run Duck Dynasty into the ground.

• Jerri says:

Duck Dynasty is probably cheaper to make than The Glades & Longmire combined.

• James says:

Duck Dynasty is what allows A&E to make Bates Motel, Longmire and The Glades as well as their entire scripted drama development slate. Just be glad we no longer have Dog the Bounty Hunter although I’m kinda sad Gene Simmons’ Family Jewels is gone.

18. Kimberly Campbell says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I loved this show!

19. K Templeton says:

To stupid for words! What is wrong with A&E! Change your mind and bring back Glades!

20. Eileen says:

I am 75 years old and have not missed one episode of GLADES since it started. It is one of the better programs on tvm and a&e decided to cancel it, for whatm another reality show that we do not need. Hopefully a&e will reconsider before they loose all their viewers on
    sunday

21. MAS says:

Wow. Make the decision a bit earlier and they could have wrapped everything up nicely based on where the story was instead of just leaving us hanging. Will have to think seriously before starting another A&E show.

22. B says:

I hated Callie. She was terrible and brought the show down.

23. mspenn1013 says:

Not surprised it was canceled. The writing this year was terrible. Don’t like that this A&E show also ended on a cliffhanger like Breakout Kings did.

• Liza180 says:

I agree. The writing really sucked. I got so tired of the SAME way each mystery unfolded. It was exactly the same everytime. Its like they took all the depth out of the characters and storyline.

24. Terry Delp says:

i AM BROKEN HEARTED I AM SO UPSET WITH A&E. I WILL NO LONGER WATCH THEIR SHOWS NO MATTER WHAT. I LIKED LONGMIRE TOO BUT I WONT WATCH ANYTHING ON A&E NETWORK EVER AGAIN.

25. tdelp says:

ONE MORE THING I THINK IT WAS RAY’S MOTHER THAT SHOT JIM

26. Liza180 says:

Wow! I’m really surprised by this. I didn’t think the storylines were that great this season and it was getting monotonous, but it finally GOT good again with Jim getting shot on his wedding day. I felt like the writers were either A)getting lazy or B)being told by the suits what to write and how to write. Jim getting shot was sort of a copout, but it was still more interesting and made me want to watch the mystery of who did it unfold. Now we’ll never find out what happened. I’m a little irritated at this end. Especially since A&E promoted the cliffhanger.

27. Jane Akl says:

I had never watched A&E before but I got hooked on this show and Longmire and watched it every week. I simply cannot believe anyone would end a season with this episode and not give the show closure. Trust me I will not ever watch this station again…I can forget about Longmire as well!!!! Just horrible planning and very upsetting for anyone who watched previous seasons. If CBS did this to NCIS I would go stand on their doorstep and give them a piec
    e of my 66 year old mind!!!!

28. S says:

Regarding Longmire, it’s waiting on a season 3 renewal, not 2.

29. Bruce says:

Maybe The Glades and Longmire should jump ship and go over to FX. They have room now that they started FXX. Longmire would go well with Justified. Hell On Wheels would go well with Longmire too!

30. Erica says:

If a network is going to cancel a TV show, they should at least tell the writers that they are being canceled, so they don’t end the show on a stupid cliffhanger. I’m so mad at A&E for canceling Glades like that. At least give them one more season, or half-season, or movie to wrap things up!!!

I’m not watching A&E anymore, until they fix this!

31. Bernadette says:

Loved “The Glades”. At the very least, A&E owes viewers an ending. Would prefer they reconsider the cancellation and bring the show back. If I don’t get closure, A&E is off my tv watch list.

32. wrstlgirl says:

Really guys, threatening A&E that you will never watch their channel again…..I understand being upset, I am too, but that’s no different than a child throwing a temper tantrum because he didn’t get his way when we all know that as soon as this news calms down you’ll be right back there. Relax, it’s just a TV show.

• Alisa Neely says:

1st: i am so DAMN SICK AND TIRED of the following comment: “it’s just a tv show”….it’s getting really OLD.

2) it’s NOT the first time fans of a show have talked of BOYCOTTING a network, because their favorite show(s) have been REMOVED for some STUPID reason….when ABC took “all my children” & “one life to live” off for talk shows….the fans said they’d STOP watching ABC.

3) this was a STUPID move for A & E….with the HIGH ratings it got for the season final and the cliffhanger…..the fans of “jim and callie” have WAITED a long time for this wedding….and this is the payoff they get?…..and for there to be NO real reason given.

• Eliza says:

No, it’s now very easy for me to walk away since I do not watch any of their “reality” shows. And after doing this to a show that has been on the network for several years… it makes me hesitant to watch their scripted shows anymore. Unfortunately, Longmire will probably go soon….so buh-bye.

• JEANNETTE GARTRELL says:

There are some people who have nothing to do (illness, handicapped, etc.) but look at TV. Too many reality shows and programs like Glades and Longmire bring joy for them. Think about this, please!

• Wrstlgirl says:

I really like Bates Motel and its been renewed, love Longmire and I believe its renewal will be official any day now. I will miss The Glades but other than the cliffhanger the writing really wasnt that great. JMO.

• Eliza says:

Yeah, Longmire will be renewed but, after this, I don”t give it a long shelf life with A&E. Too many “reality” shows on this network and it seems they prefer that crap…so it is easy for me to say goodbye.

33. Greg says:

That’s a bitch, it was not a bad show, i liked all the characters, they could at least finish it>

34. Tami Fletcher says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Bad move A&E..

35. Noble Lox says:

Let us be honest here, folks, this last season was truly awful! I despair at the failure of the writers room, in letting the show descend into a poorly written cliché. Then to optimistically end it with a cliffhanger, when the rating showed the show’s demographic sliding into middle-aged, single white female, mad cat lady audience only. The show went on a season long wedding planning detour, and did not make any effort with the shows core subject of crime solving.

Shows like Castle show that the “Moonlighting” curse is a myth, but The Glades ignored all the lessons from historical failures, and grasped the “shark jumping” concept of reveling in the romance at the expense of the shows core purpose.

• Dory says:

I agree with you. I do like the show and have watched from the beginning. I think all are to blame.Writers, directors, and even sometimes actors.

36. WTF !!! Why do I bother getting into good shows and watch them be cancelled for the likes of Duck Dynasty. Glades was a fantastic show and to cancel the show and leave us loyal fans bleeding on the kitchen floor is as cold as the assailant !!! Bring it back !!!

37. Jd says:

This show was cancelled because of the stupid love story. Callie was horrid.

• Maryann says:

Loved Callie and Jim together, only really got nto the show the last couple of seasons. All I want is a two hour movie for closure.

• JoAnn says:

I hope they come back with a 2 hour special episode to give us closure too. But still I will miss it. He had such a smart mouth; thought all the characters were good in their own way.

38. Lilacbarries says:

Not surprised. KIA must have pulled out, my husband and I jokingly call it the car commercial. We kept watching though because we loved the characters. We were disappointed with the (series) finale and the first thing we did was look to see if it had been renewed. Sad day.

39. Bre says:

Ugh no, I was dreading this news, how can they leave us on that cliffhanger!? Matt can you get us an interview with the Glades producers and get us some closure? Please!!

40. barbara says:

This is horrible.We watched the Glades from the beginning thinking it would be around alot longer.These stupid realty shows will be the end of good ratings for A&E.I won’t ever watch it again without Glades.

41. Debra Hensley says:

A&E….You Suck !!!! I am getting so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Penny says:

What!!!?? Another great show is cut!!! This is Happening too often…what?…are too many older people enjoying this show? It has been said many times that the networks are trying to appeal to younger people…so even though these shows are getting high ratings and lots of viewers they are cancelled…I may have to sign off TV and start watching movies!! Hello Networks…not everyone likes or watches Reality Shows!

43. Pat says:

Wow! How dumb to cancel Glades. I get so tired of these shows leaving you hanging. They could give us aces more shows to tie up loose ends. I have to agree I don’t watch reality shows and who watches reality shows any way? Not to many that is why people don’t get into shows any more, they leaving hanging out to dry as a viewer.

44. Joe says:

Wtf is all I’m saying, ill never watch this channel, unless the glades is back on

45. Pam Mendez says:

I have been watching since day one. I enjoy reading about where the scenes were filmed. I live in the area and enjoyed seeing my neighborhood and a few of my friends as extras. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS. NO MORE A&E FOR ME.

46. sarah says:

Well this sucks!
    I really enjoyed the show. It sucks for the people that have been there since day 1 to not get a last season to wrap things up!!!!!!

47. Bill says:

I somehow knew this would happen. I hate when cable shows end on cliff hangers bc of the more likely it is for them to be cancelled but A&E should have at least renewed for a last season or movie at least. Now we won’t know what Jim’s date is….. This is Southland all over again. Da**it!

48. Holly says:

Unbelievable. I’m so sick of the reality shows….and A & E had a great Monday night lineup of must-see tv for me..The Glades and then Longmire. I’m really, really upset about this. At least wrap up the storylines with a movie…but better to reconsider and tell us you’re renewing it!

49. BRUTUS says:

What a Joke! I watch over 50 different TV shows throughout the year and this one was in my top 5 and still in my top 8. And top 3 for summer shows!!!! And Dexter is over so it would move to #2!!!!! You suck A&E! I never watched A&E until the glades but now I am never watching a&e again!

50. Jen says:

This is terrible news. Totally unfair especially with that cliffhanger. If they were going to cancel they should have told the show before the finale.

• Alisa Neely says:

look what CBS did to the actors of WITHOUT A TRACE….they pulled the plug after the fact….and cut into PILOT SEASON for the actors…and imo, we don’t know what happened to the characters of that 1….danny and his girl were off to marry….but, what about the others?…..it stinks.