Ratings: Motive Finale Down, Big Bro Tops Night

Ratings Motive FinaleOn a Thursday night sacked by multiple pre-season football preemptions, Big Brother’s long-awaited eviction came out on top with 5.1 million total viewers and a 1.8 demo rating (per Nielsen finals), down 19 and 14 percent week-to-week.

Among Thursday’s season finales, NBC’s already-renewed Hollywood Game Night (2.8 mil/1.0) was down 22 percent and two tenths, while ABC’s double helping of Motive did 4.7 mil/0.8, down two tenths in the demo yet stopping short of hitting a series low.

TVLine hears that a decision on Motive‘s fate is still weeks away.

ABC’s Rookie Blue drew 4.4 mil and a 0.8, down 14 percent and two tenths.

1. Tazzy says:

I really like Motive. It is not the typical “murder mystery,” which gives it a unique perspective…… Hope it gets a second season!

2. Lizzie says:

I really like Motive too – ABC did it no favors by going so long between episodes earlier this summer and the last two weeks I have had to watch it online as it has been preempted locally by football…hope it comes back and gets a better schedule than it had this summer!

3. Maryann says:

With all the regional football preemptions (including the 2 hr season finale), how can the ratings have any meaning? I for one would have watched it if it had aired at the regular time rather than 1-3 AM. It just seems that TPTB should take this into consideration when making renewal decisions.

4. GeoDiva says:

Motive wasn’t even on here in Hawaii. We had pre-season football instead.

5. leigh says:

Motive was an interesting, fun summer show. I like procedurals as they work to fill the void between new Castle episodes.

The networks should have all of their finales aired by the time college and NFL football begins/preseason ends or there will always be a difference in ratings. I didn’t even know Motive was still on until we took a break from the Vandy/Ole Miss game and there it was at the end. Is it possible for you guys at Tvline.com to a recap article on all the summer shows and if they are renewed/cancelled? I’m still waiting to find out about Crossing Lines even though my hope dwindled after seeing the finale ratings. :(

6. Mel says:

Motive is one of the few network shows I watched over the summer (Camp, Under the Dome, and Rookie Blue). I actually thought it got cancelled when I didn’t see it for a few weeks. Hopefully ABC picks it up next summer.

7. Mikael says:

Is that picture of Courtney Love?

8. luvin it…. more please! keep on and character is “interesting” and weirdly sic, ya’ll.

9. Janet says:

Loved MOTIVE and wish it had been easier to follow, due to many football interruptions. Think ratings would have been higher. Please keep us up on the future of Motive.