NCIS Sneak Peek: 'Classic' Season Premiere Is Full of 'Change and Turmoil'

The way that TV’s most watched drama opens its 11th season is “classic NCIS,” says cast member Michael Weatherly.

In the season premiere “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” an explosion at a D.C. event results in a casualty connected to the agency, which in turn changes DoD investigator Parsons’ perspective on Gibbs & Co. “Colin Hanks (as Parsons) comes back for the first episode and really does a fascinating turn, which everyone, I think, will get a big kick out of,” says show boss Gary Glasberg.

VIDEO | NCIS Season 11 Sneak Peek: Ziva’s Wanted Dead — Is This Goodbye for Her and Tony?

Meanwhile, DiNozzo and McGee — without badges and with Ziva AWOL — investigate the explosion as civilians, despite the case’s threat to harm each and every one of them.

“The way that we are jumping off into this new season is classic NCIS — and by that, I mean it’s about change and turmoil, everything being turned inside-out and upside -down,” Weatherly reports, alluding to, among other things, castmate Cote de Pablo’s imminent exit from the role of Ziva. “If you’re a casual viewer, if you’ve watched every single episode, or if you, like, watched one episode with your Uncle Morty, you’ll want to watch this premiere and the first few episodes, because this season does something it’s never done before, and that is interesting.”

RELATED | NCIS Boss: Why We’re Not Killing Off Ziva

Here now, photos from the premiere, featuring Gibbs, Parsons, DiNozzo, McGee and his new girlfriend Delilah (played by Big Bang Theory‘s Margo Harshman), Abby and others. If you want more scoop on NCIS, email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (62)

• Yes! I am ready for character development and no soapy TIVA!

Comment by The Rookie – August 29, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I knida wish they would find a way to add Colin Hanks to the show full time. I wasn’t fond of him at first but he is growing on me.

Comment by ajintexas – August 29, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. Swap him for DiNozzo anyday.

Comment by Daven – August 29, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But without the ‘stache, right?

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Boo, I thought this was my post about Bradley Whitford… stupid small screen phone.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 12:47 PM PDT
          • lol, love him too.

Comment by ajintexas – August 29, 2013 01:39 PM PDT
        • You have no taste in men! Or actors–don’t care who his daddy is!

Comment by imnur2 – September 10, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I likt them both

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 10, 2013 09:38 PM PDT
          • I like Gibbs and Dinozzo

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 10, 2013 09:40 PM PDT
        • DiNozzo is a big part of the humor in this ‘favorite’ series.

Comment by kat – January 28, 2014 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Saw it and was good. Look forward to them getting Persa and his cohorts.

Comment by Julie Merritt – January 29, 2014 06:00 AM PDT
      • Only if Parsons is working to get Team Gibbs back together and realizes that NCIS is fighting terrorism and stops picking on them.

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 8, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Parsons is an asshole, who is trying to make a name for himself. Gibbs needs to teach him a lesson, NCIS style.

Comment by jack – September 11, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Jack I agree with you. iknew he was trouble when he walked through the door.

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 11, 2013 07:33 AM PDT
    • Get rid of Colin Hanks!! Can’t stand his character and don’t want to see him back! And don’t ever bring back Jamie Lee Curtis as a love interest for Gibbs. What were they thinking?!?! She’s totally wrong for him and annoying too!

Comment by Margaret – September 12, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well as a long as Major MassSpec get’s more screen time I’ll be happy!

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and is Margo Harshman recurring or a regular (i.e.e how much of McGee’s civilian life are we likely to see)?

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s a recurring character. The current “official” status of Delilah/Margo Harshman on NCIS is to appear/be mentioned in a number of episodes that completes the certain story line.
        Not much civilian life (McGee’s) will be seen on screen, as per usual, but more is spoken about than shown.

I personally hope no crime show goes down the path of showing more about the characters personal, outside work, lives and doings. Sometimes, yes, but not often. I prefer if the storytelling is kept mainly work related. Though I’m ok with romance, just not shown much, but mentioned…and all’s awesome. (like Jimmy and Breena Palmer, though perhaps twice a season is also great, not just one mention *wink*)

PS. If you’re even remotely aware of network tv and formulas and how tv works, you have the answers to your questions: How long is Delilah gonna be on the show, what’s her relationship with McGee alike, how is it going, where is it going, and if it’s gonna last (til the end). As well as answers to all questions you might have about this story line that involves Delilah, McGee, McGee and Delilah, Abby and Delilah, Abby and McGee, and the NCIS. (I can’t and won’t answer.)

Comment by R.H. (@alittlebitofm) – August 29, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really giving up on NCIS 100%.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 29, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve slowly come to welcome this sort of attitude. The shows creators have shown a lot of attention to the social media fans (from what I can see) and so were the people who promote the more so soapish direction for NCIS to leave off watching (and thus lobbying for more shipping) then perhaps the writers will turn to the procedural roots that I prefer NCIS pursue.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What part of that did you not understand? If you’re going to give up one TV series after another, two words: MOVE ON.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 29, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh I understood. I understood that the soapers such as yourself, will be moving on (“I’m really giving up on NCIS 100%”). And I’ve come to appreciate that rather than regret the show losing some fans. Fans that I get the feeling were pushing the show in a direction I wasn’t fond of.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It doesn’t matter and I don’t care whose side are you on “JOHN” because you’re giving me a headache. From now on I demand an apology from you and it better be a good one because I never ever lie.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 29, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
          • do both of your moms know you’re online?

Comment by theMicronian – August 29, 2013 07:17 PM PDT
  • To each his own… As a pure procedural, I find NCIS lacking and predictable and it’s the characters development and interactions that made the show appealing for me. Over the last several years, CBS and NCIS show runners consistently used the Tony Ziva relationship to lead fans on and boost ratings while being too cowardly to follow through on a romance. Now they have no choice and any resolution they bring to the story in two episodes will be inadequate.

Comment by MAS – August 29, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, NCIS did character interaction brilliantly until they went down the road of focusing on one single relationship between two main characters and forgot that these two characters should also interact with all the other characters and not just each other.
      It’s never been helped by the fact that the relationship focused on was a problematic and divisive one amongst fans and that the two characters were barely written/portrayed as liking each other, let alone it being love.
      For many viewers there is no relationship that requires any resolution, and this has been the reason why they have never got beyond the tease: they risked alienating as many viewers as they pleased by taking the relationship ‘somewhere’.
      And even if it had been taken somewhere, then what?
      Happy relationships are deathly boring for everyone except the two people involved.

Comment by Pete – August 29, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they gonna pick up from the last scene in the S10 finale where gibbs was about to shoot his friend FBI agent fornell?

Comment by AshleyRae – August 29, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will be very upset if they kill off Fornell. He’s my favorite recurring character, and he’s about the only friend Gibbs has left.

Comment by Jay – August 30, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the info, Matt. I’m all for some “classic NCIS”. Interested in seeing Tony and McGee working together, as well as how the show wraps up the Ziva story. Bring it on.

Comment by ncis4evr – August 29, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m looking forward to the Tony and McGee interaction as well. And whenever I hear they’ll be doing “classic NCIS”, I get all happy. Yeah. Bring It On!

Comment by Darlene – August 29, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for the season to start. I have been a fan since the spin off from JAG. My only unhappiness moment will be the final scenes with Ziva. I truly will miss her. I hope that the producer’s will keep to their promise and not kill her off. Also, I hope that there will be a little wiggle room in her final scenes just in case in the future she might return. I know, wishful thinking on my part.

Comment by Pat – August 29, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not alone in hoping she comes back; it really won’t be the same without her (and not in a good way).

Comment by Stephanie – August 29, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto to that comment- havent missed an episode (or very many reruns on USA channel). started watching when JAG ended

Comment by kat – January 28, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you saw it in September, you saw that they did not kill her off.

Comment by Julie Merritt – January 29, 2014 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bradley Whitford should join Colin on the show: they were hilarious together.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And if *anybody* knows “classic NCIS” it’s Michael.

Can’t wait for things to get back to normal. Solving cases with little bits of personal info thrown in every once in a while.

Comment by ninamags – August 29, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed: Balance. not pure procedural and not pure soap.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Tired of every last show with a male/female lead combo having their romance or will they/won’t they eventually dictate the show. Insipid and dull, lazy writing. Just because a man and a woman work together or are friends doesn’t mean they have to fall in love!

Comment by giantswatchinggirl – August 29, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they bring back the Gibbs-slap!

Comment by Jerri – August 29, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch NCIS, I admit it – but is Colin Hanks a regular or is this just a guest spot? I had no idea he was on the show!

Comment by Abby – August 29, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Somewhat longer than “guest”, meaning a single episode, he’s a recurring character carried over from recurring last year.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Last year he was in two episodes.

Comment by John – August 29, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok boys and girls, I have a question for you all … is it my imagination or is there something wrong with Gibb’s legs? when you see him walking towards you (or the camera) it looks like his left leg turns in … am I crazy or do I need to change my glasses??

Comment by s. vanhattem – August 29, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s call knock-kneed, although with his college football history and other sports, he probably has such crappy knees they barely support him.

Comment by gatorgal – August 29, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not knock-kneed. It is a deformation of the knee joint due to injury or disease. I know someone who had to have her leg surgically straightened. Looks great now. Mr. Harmon probably isn’t uncomfortable enough to have that done yet.

Comment by imnur2 – September 10, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta say that for the first time in several seasons, I’m thinking that Tony might get some writing that lets him shine for more than a millisecond. He’s been the team’s butt monkey or Ziva’s personal purse and cheerleader for so long, that I can hardly remember that he was once competent, relevant, and cool At least he was in the early seasons anyway.. If anyone has to leave in order to give the show a much needed shake up, I’m glad it’s Ziva. She was the most unrealistic, soapish, and corny character of all.

Comment by Annie – August 30, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • si era cursi porque episodios Ziva centricos eran el mas alto rating…

Comment by luzma – August 31, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have said it better, Annie! I miss competent!Tony and absolutely cringe at the idiot!Tony that’s been foisted on us for so many seasons. Ziva became boring and annoying after Season 5. Anyone who sees a healthy loving relationship between her and Tony needs to have their eyes examined. Of course, to some people, nothing says “I love you” like being referred to as “dead weight” and/or having a Sig Sauer shoved into your chest by your partner who constantly accuses you of “being jealous”.

I would also love to see Abby grow up, or at least morph back to the cool character she was in Seasons 1 and 2. Baby!Abby is grating on my nerves.

Comment by Laura – September 4, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From what i saw on et, Tony goes looking for ziva and finds her. I think he is the only one who gets to say goodbye to her. Looking for more tony and McGee comedy. Do not think McGee girlfriend will last. How many main characters have you seen on tv shows get girl or boy friends and they actually last. I will give her a chance, but i like mcabby.

Comment by cherry – September 1, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 50% of viewers will leave with Ziva, and only return when she does !!!!

Comment by sfskipper – September 2, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • look at the pictures of Gibbs, he’s not wearing his regular white t-shirt.
    i wonder why?. . . .

Comment by MrWiggly – September 2, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe someone in an earlier post said it best: the actors do NOT write their lines (though, occasionally, a brilliant “ad lib” slips its way through); basically the actors are somewhat the “victims” of their writers. Cote de Pablo was probably given a “character outline” which described the basic parameters of her character, Ziva as a Jewish Sabra (native-born Israeli Jew) member of Mossad. She was tough (from both the Sabra and the woman underneath and the odd upbringing as the daughter of the Mossad head, made her character “unique.”) The fact that she was assigned as “liaisson officer” between Mossad and NCIS was the part of the character which was somewhat “strained” in the whole tale, hence, she, perforce, had to become a “naturalized” American, and Gibbs became a “father figure,” even more than her own father. This put the “funk” in Disfunctional as the description of her “family relationship” most likely read. How Gibbs will “process” this all will be the writer’s challenge now that Ziva/Cote is leaving…

Comment by Jim Cumber – September 2, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim I agree

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 8, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to new season. I think Sec Nab Davenport is involved, because he resented Vance, The Isrealis and Ziva.

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 8, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of this criticism- come on now folks!!! Certainly you can admit when compared to the absolute dregs of abhorant supposedly “real”, banal television fare out there, NCIS remains one of the few bright rays of quality to be found on television. In other words, be grateful for the 1 hour on Tuesday nights, you don’t have to check either your brains or your sensibilities at the door!!!

Comment by Sissy – September 10, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!

Comment by imnur2 – September 10, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second that

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 10, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right On, Sissy! While I enjoyed Ziva / Cote (GREAT “eye candy” and the character was not bad, though somewhat “strained,” as I mentioned, previously): Cote did a 5-0 job with the part. Looking forward to seeing more of Cote’s work in the future, in other venues…

Comment by Jim Cumber – September 10, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was not an original watcher but have since became one. Have probably seen and enjoyed every episode several times. Can’t say I’ve liked everything I’ve seen heard but I still enjoyed the program. If it’s not your cup of tea, stay away from it. Quit complaining.

Comment by Jean – September 14, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I to am tired of hearing and seeing complaining

Comment by Julie Merritt – September 15, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patients were receiving outpatient chemotherapy were randomly
    assigned to standard nursing care, where homne
    visits are nursing license verification pa required.
    Masters degrees in nursing over someone with just a passing score.
    This career not only provides a refresher for skills that are necessary so that yyou are
    a fashionista.

Comment by Shoshana – March 3, 2014 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This post has nothing to do with the episode of Whisky Tango.

Comment by Julie Merritt – March 4, 2014 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post