Walking Dead Villain David Morrissey Cast in AMC Pilot -- Bad Omen for The Governor?

David Morrissey Walking DeadResident Walking Dead evildoer David Morrissey has landed the lead role in an AMC pilot, raising questions about his future as The Governor.

The new project, Line of Sight, centers on Lewis Bernt (Morrissey), a National Transportation Safety Board investigator who survives a mysterious plane crash and sets off on an emotionally disorienting quest to discover the accident’s cause.

VIDEO | The Walking Dead: Watch the Epic Season 4 Trailer Now

AMC maintains that Morrissey will be able to juggle Sight‘s pilot shoot with Season 4 of The Walking Dead, telling our sister site Deadline, “We are huge fans of David Morrissey and are glad he’ll be doing double duty for AMC viewers through his work on The Walking Dead and our pilot for Line Of Sight, both of which are produced in Atlanta.”

Of course, if Sight snags a series order, it stands to reason that the Governor’s reign of terror would come to an end.

The Walking Dead‘s fourth season bows Sunday, Oct. 13.

1. Mike R. says:

It’s hardly a shock if the Governor dies this season, so good for him getting a pilot, he deserves it.

2. Kenneth Belliveau says:

Best of luck to David Morrissey and I hope the pilot goes to series. He proved through-out season three that he is one hell of an actor. This is great news and another case of actors getting praise. I like it, keep up the smart work AMC!

3. wrstlgirl says:

A lot of actors pull double duty so no big deal really. But like Mike R. says, it’s doubtful the Governor will survive another season with Rick and company so hopefully this will go to series for Morrissey.

4. Nicole says:

I’m one of the few who love him as the Governor and looked forward seeing him in season 4 of Walking Dead. And while I totally believe he could and would pull double duty, I lean more towards the ole Guv being the midseason shocking death if Morrissey’s pilot goes to series. Whatever happens as long as I get more DM I’m happy.

5. MrMank says:

Since AMC does shorter seasons, like all the cable outlets, there’s no reason to think he can’t do both shows.

6. Joey says:

He could do both shows.

7. SonOfCoul says:

Anyone who thought he’d make it past season 4, especially after getting a couple “Governor-Centric” episodes….is kidding themselves.

8. Ashley says:

I’m hoping he get’s the AXE this season…….can’t stand him as the gov. Although he does well protraying the CRAZY BASTARD.
    But good for him landing a new show/role.

• suzy says:

I can’t stand the governor, but in interviews I’ve seen of Morrissey, he really seems like a charmer. I suppose that means he’s a good actor and I just don’t like the character.

9. Derek Johnson says:

Frankly, it shouldn’t be surprising when anyone on The Walking Dead gets killed off, so this shouldn’t be considered that big of a spoiler. TWD producers have said they want to bring in more of the comic book’s villains (like the Hunters and Negan and the Saviors), so it’s natural that the Governor will eventually exit. I thought they could have killed him at the end of this past year.

Additionally, this season of TWD will be done shooting in December, long before this potential pilot shoots any more episodes. I’m guessing the rest of the season is mapped out. Side note, it’s going to be great to see David Morissey front his own show.

10. Cheeky says:

Love DM as the Gov, even though I hated the villain in the comics and even the show a little too, so it’s good to hear. Walking dead would definitely be smart to jump to another villain already, and I think the Saviors would be a great place to start.

11. Whatever says:

I LOVE David Morrissey ! He does a fantastic job as the Gov. on TWD.
    He won’t even be in the first 4 episodes this season so his participation has been cut back compaired to last year.
    Personally I wouldn’t mind if Morrissy stayed on TWD even though the Gov is a complete b*stard just because I like him as an actor.
    I hope the Pilot / Show he is going to do for AMC is a good one.
    They really need something to replace Breaking Bad. Low Winter Sun is not going to cut it.

12. Abby says:

I did assume that the Governor’s reign of terror would end at some point in season four, anyway. It’s coming to the point that the Governor died in the comics, and while I know they’re not identical stories, the Governor is not exactly being prepped for a redemption arc, as far as I know. He’s as evil as they come and can’t survive.

There’s been rumours in the fan-verse that he’ll only be involved in the fall segment of S4, with the spring segment focusing on the survivors hitting the road again, which would leave Morrissey, who IS great, to focus on this new show that sounds ridiculously intriguing!