Ratings: 2013 MTV VMAs Draws Huge Crowd

Get More: Awards, Ratings

2013 MTV Video Music Awards - ShowBilly Ray Cyrus’ nightmare worsens: A whole lot of people watched his daughter get jiggy with a man twice her age on national television.

Rebounding from last year’s all-time low, Sunday’s 2013 MTV Video Music Awards attracted 10.1 million viewers and a 7.8 rating in the network’s target demo of 12-34.

PHOTOS | 2013 MTV VMAs: The Best and the Worst

Last year’s show, which aired on a Thursday and suffered a last-minute change in start time, drew 6.1 million total viewers (with a 5.3 rating in demo).

The all-time high was set the year prior, when Lady Gaga performed in drag: 12.4 million total viewers, with a 10.8 rating.

RELATED | Kelly Clarkson Slams Miley Cyrus’ VMA Performance

Among Sunday’s broadcast fare: CBS’ Big Brother (with 7.1 million viewers and a 2.3 rating among 18-49) rose 10 percent week-to-week, setting Unforgettable (6.8 mil/1.2) up for its own upticks, while ABC’s Secret Millionaire (4 mil/1.0) dropped some 20 percent in its later time slot, leading out of a soft Family Dance-Off debut (3.5 mil/0.7).

Comments (17)

• Damn it, America.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 26, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen the VMAs before, won’t watch them again, and turned it off right after the JT concert and NSYNC reunion. But hey, props to them for making my inner teenager squeal with joy at my fave boy band.

Comment by Molly – August 26, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those ratings are clearly due to the *NSYNC reunion. Hope MTV enjoyed it because those ratings will be down again next year unless they come up with something like this again.

Comment by Jessi – August 26, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched for the *NSYNC reunion, and once that was over so was my viewership.

Comment by Amanda – August 26, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone that I know watched it to see N’SYNC and JT. It was short, but oh so sweet!

Comment by Susan – August 26, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats the wonderful thing about DVRs. I had it recording the VMAs while I watched something else and only checked it every half hour to see if JT did his performance and deleted the bit that recorded if he hadnt been on during that time. All I saw was Justin and NSYNC and thats all I wanted to see.

Comment by Lynne – August 26, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonder how the ratings were at 10:35.

Comment by Ktd – August 26, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched for Justin and and NSYNC…then off it went…plus it was kinda amusing to see Miley make an idiot of herself!!

Comment by Rebecca – August 26, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    I’m speechless about this.

Comment by Justin Burnell – August 26, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see the Pre Nsync. Numbers versus post. I feel like that’s a big reason why there was sudden interest in these again.

Comment by Ryan – August 26, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the way, has Robin Thicke commented anything about Miley’s “performance”?

Comment by katrilotta – August 26, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t understand the tongue thing. Hasn’t she looked at herself doing that? I just don’t get it. Was it meant to be a parody of sexy? Because it was not anything else. The tongue. It has be confused. :)

Comment by Kim R – August 27, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love gaga!

Comment by yes – August 27, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched for NSYNC. I flipped back and forth until after Bruno Mars. I hadn’t watched a VMAs since the last time NSYNC was on and I’m sure I won’t watch next year. Unless they can get Journey back together or something. :)

Comment by Aprilcot – August 27, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only wanted to see Lady GaGa’s performance, and I was curious to see the NSync reunion which was a disappointment, as was Katy Perry’s closing performance.

Comment by Mikael – August 27, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What were Breaking Bad’s numbers??

Comment by Melanie – August 27, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely was not watching. My last VMA experience involved the Britney and Madonna kiss and decided the VMA’s were not for me. Its just crude sensationalism and apparently Miley happened to fit the bill this year.

Comment by crystal – September 3, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post