Bunheads Says Goodbye With One Last Dance

Get More: Video

ABC Family’s cancelled ballet dramedy Bunheads is putting on one last performance, and it’s quite the emotional ride.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The show’s troupe, including stars Bailey Buntain (Ginny), Julia Goldani Telles (Sasha) and Jeanine Mason (Cozette), recently reunited to film a farewell dance directed by creator Amy Sherman-Palladino.

The moving goodbye/thank you, embedded below for your viewing pleasure/heartache, features homages to some of the series’ most memorable routines, including that standout “Istanbul (Not Constantinople)” number.

Warning: Have tissues at the ready before pressing PLAY.

Tags:

Comments (67)

• Amazing that they’d come together for this thanks to the fans. Thank you, cast and crew of Bunheads! You’re gone too soon.

Comment by Dryden – August 26, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s lousy that you stole Buzzfeed’s exclusive on this, however. Play fair, TVLine.

Comment by Dryden – August 26, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The video was released wide.

Comment by Vlada Gelman – August 26, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads will be missed if people didn’t care about the show created by the same woman who did Gilmore Girls. :-(

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 26, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know if there are plans to release the season to DVD?

Comment by Meg – August 26, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No official word yet but we’ll get the info soon.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 26, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can watch it as many times as you want on Amazon Prime. It’s all there!

Comment by Mika – August 26, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d much rather have the DVD. Way more of a chance of cast commentary, deleted scenes, outtakes and extras. Hopefully if TV Line or any of the fans here get info they can post it as a feature here or as an article so we can get a chance to order it.

In the meantime, is Netflix an option at all for picking it up? I heard they are now looking into taking on The Killing there which as of now has been cancelled twice, so maybe they are an option. They carry tons of former ABC Family shows there. Maybe they’d be into getting involved in bringing Bunheads back to life. I’d love to see it happen.

Comment by Jenna – September 14, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this was a great show but as usual without the violence and sex people aren’t interested. It could have been a staple for families or pre teens and teens to watch. I will miss it.

Comment by Tami Fletcher – August 26, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree with this. A show which empowered young girls and went through life lessons we all have to go through, doesn’t make it…but shows like pretty little liars where they play dress up and lie and sneak around…that’s clearly better tv for young adults. O_o

Comment by missindependent – August 27, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid ABC Family for cancelling this show.

Comment by Linda – August 26, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes me so angry that Bunheads was canceled much too soon.

Comment by Temperance – August 27, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just shows how classy the show really was. It depresses me that trash like Pretty Little Liars can stay on the air longer than this.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 26, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What she said…

Comment by Lauren (too) – August 27, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will only miss this show for the dancing. All it did was make me miss the far-superior Gilmore Girls and cringe for the actors delivering such ridiculous dialogue — BUT the dancing was beautiful, and this was beautiful.

Comment by Kate – August 26, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From my point of view, Bunheads was multiple times better written and acted than Gilmore Girls, it had less ‘quirky town’ stories, Sutton is so much funnier than Graham, and was written way less irritating, though Im sure, given enough seasons, she would probably end up a mess of a character like Lorelai, ping-ponging between love interests. Not to forget how much more interesting younger girls’ stories were than Rory’s ever came to be. YMMV I guess.

Comment by wi – August 26, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, you… clearly didn’t watch Gilmore Girls. It had more heart, humor and sincerity in one minute than Bunheads in its entirer 1st season.

Comment by Lisa – August 27, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly….I liked Bunheads but it could not hold a candle to the magic of Gilmore Girls.

Comment by Columbus – August 27, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved that show – I was really looking forward to the new season. Gone way too soon; it will sorely be missed.

Comment by Kristin – August 26, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. I’ll miss it so!

Comment by D'oh – August 26, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cancellation was a mistake, and pop culture journalists will consider it as one of those “Brilliant But Cancelled” shows from now on. ABC Family was getting, I imagine, a different sort of viewer with this show that wouldn’t come to their network otherwise, and it’s a shame that they’ll be losing that.

Comment by rileymccarthy – August 26, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show. Sad to see it cancelled. :(

Comment by Angie – August 26, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you again Amy Sherman Palladino and the amazing cast of Bunheads. Monday nights will not be the same without you 😞

Comment by Lisa e – August 26, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I will miss this show. I wish everyone involved a bright and lasting career!

Comment by Heather – August 26, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you ABC Family, for dumping this well-written, well-acted, fresh, lovely and heartfelt program in favor of derivative, mind-numbing, useless garbage starring sexy “teens” who lie and or may be murderers or murderee’s . Lord knows what this world needs less of is original, quality television shows.
    Thank you, Amy for bringing this fantastic show and its characters to life, no matter how short lived. I will and do miss it.

Comment by Sarah – August 26, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ÀMEN!! Bunheads is only reason I watched ABC Family channel. Stupid, selfish, whining, over-sexed bullies? There’s not one show on the channel that is even remotely interesting or worth my time.

Comment by jenferner8 – August 26, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You apparently haven’t tried The Fosters.

Comment by Mika – August 26, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’m skipping ABC Family shows for a good long while in retaliation. That makes two… and I’m not waiting for three early cancellations. And it makes it worse that the replacements are all garbage.

Comment by Temperance – August 27, 2013 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Fosters is terrific and well worth your time.

Comment by Columbus – August 27, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was too afraid to watch The Foster. I get attached easily to great shows. If it stays another seasons then I will watch it somewhere else. ABC breaks my heart too often. I miss Bunheads and always will.

Comment by LauraJ – August 27, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. That was awesome! Thanks so much; Bunheads will be missed. :(

Comment by Jenna – August 26, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sorry Bunheads was cancelled as I loved the show. I’ve never been a ballet fan, but loved the dances on the show.

Comment by Cate53 – August 26, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was very sweet, dancers and crew. Thank you.

Comment by Alia – August 26, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate it when shows I like are gone to soon. Was looking forward to a new season. I had been trying to find the name of the music they danced to when they were all dressed in white. guess I can hope for a dvd. :(

Comment by Marilyn A. Bridges Henninger – August 26, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was beautiful Will miss the show. I wish all of the Bunheads could of been in this.

Comment by Diane – August 26, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and now i’m weeping. ASP is a master at choosing songs that pull at our heartstrings. i always wanted to be a gilmore girl, but now i’ll always want to be a bunhead, too…

Comment by jen – August 26, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was perfect. and heartbreaking *shakes fist at ABC Family*

Comment by Colleen – August 26, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU BUNHEADS….I will miss you all. I really enjoyed the show….so sad !! :(

Comment by Barbara C – August 26, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame that it was cancelled. This was beautiful!

Comment by Babybop – August 26, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still find the cancellation of this show disgusting, ABC Family really made a messed up call. Completely unforgivable.

Comment by Raftrap – August 26, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s 5 am here in greece and this video made me cry like a litlle child! thanks all the team of bunheads and yeah ”oh captain , my captain” we screamed but we knew it was coming… THANKS FOR EVERYTHING PALLADINO!

Comment by george tourette (@georgethebeast) – August 26, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • another great show gone..it makes no sense what shows stay and what goes to me,,very sad !

Comment by Megan – August 26, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bailey Buntain is amazing :(

Comment by Eli – August 26, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, ASP, for this. I loved Bunheads.

Comment by Sarah j – August 26, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really appreciated this.

Comment by Beth – August 26, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Boo and the mean one in that dance?I didn’t see them really.

Comment by Shaun – August 26, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it, its such a shame that this great show was cancelled.

Comment by juan – August 26, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anything good came out of this, is that I will watch *any* show starring Sutton Foster, since I cant really watch her in theaters (living outside USA).

Comment by wi – August 26, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will really miss this show. I think ABC Family made the wrong decision

Comment by Hannah – August 27, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC Family has the Fosters and their 2 comedies everything else is horrible and same genre of teen sick behaviour! Twisted never should have been greenlit and PLL and now its sequel barf!

Comment by DavidSask – August 27, 2013 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if the show would’ve done better on a better network. With the exception of Switched At Birth, ABC Family was doing shows about schools where everyone gets pregnant or teens solving dumb mysteries. I’m sure some people never even give the network a thought.

Comment by Sheila – August 27, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was lovely. I only cried a little, maybe I made it to acceptance. Too bad the Internet was made for the anger phase of grief.

Comment by Lorien – August 27, 2013 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laughable :-0.

Comment by saeh – August 27, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Want to echo a lot of the comments already made – Bunheads was a brilliant, quiet little show that just wasn’t made for these fast, loud, obnoxious times. I have hope that new distribution channels like Netflix will create and support special shows like this one in the future. Thanks to ASP for creating another perfect little corner of the world for us. I LOVED Sutton Foster’s performance and would like to see her on my TV screen again soon.

Comment by allison – August 27, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bitter than ABC Family decided to drop quality television like Bunheads in favor of an MTV wannabe reality series like The Vineyard. Thank you ASP and cast for this wonderful goodbye.

Comment by Jen – August 27, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lifetime should pick this show up!

Comment by Kim – August 27, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a lovely farewell to the fans~ Bunheads was enjoyable and quality entertainment. It was also the only show that we watched on ABC Family…….

Comment by Susan – August 27, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My 23 year old daughter and I had made Bunheads appointment watching. I am very sad we won’t have it any more to bond over. ABC Family has disappointed us both. Amy, hope you find a new home for Bunheads. If not, I am hopeful you can make something else as quirky, clever, uplifting, and fun that another network/cable channel will snap up and give it a chance to grow an audience.

Comment by Mel – August 27, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss this show. Sutton Foster — you are amazing! AS-P, please don’t give up on giving us strong female protagonists. Looking forward to what you will bring us in the future.

BOO ABC Family, for keeping the dreck of PPL and Secret Life going on the air for so long. Bunheads was something for everyone! The dancers, the parents of dancers, and those who aspired to dance, but for some reason or another wasn’t allowed. The beauty of those dances will live on!

Comment by Joann – August 27, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The morons at ABC Family cancelled this fine and entertaining show to put on trash like Spell Mageddon. Seriously do they really think this is what their target audience wants to see? Give us a little more credit for being an intelligent group.

Comment by Darcy Rajotte – August 27, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show was great. ABC Family, I’m ashamed of you for canceling it.

Comment by Trista – August 27, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I came late to Bunheads but immensely enjoyed this quirky little show.

Comment by sa – August 27, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sorry to see this show go. Enjoyed the good clean fun and the dancing. I agree with other posts, shame on you ABC Family for canceling it! Thank you cast, you will be missed.

Comment by Pam – August 29, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So mad that this was cancelled. I fell in love with Sutton Foster! This show was fantastic, I’m really surprised that it didn’t get at least one more season. I was positive it would get 3 minimum because it was so quality. ABC can eat my buns.

Comment by Christopher – August 31, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so devastated this show was cancelled. there is nothing else out there that portrays women of all ages and sizes. I really wish someone would pick it up. but i suppose it can’t happen if sets have been pulled down and the actress who plays Sasha has picked up a new show already. I so badly wanted to see what happened to those talented and interesting characters down the line! They were just getting started and there is no point comparing it to Gilmore Girls. It’s a completely different dynamic with the dancing! Truly one of a kind. The people at ABC family were crazy to let it go.

Comment by Kimber – October 2, 2013 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna miss the show. I hope all the girls in it continue with acting and dancing

Comment by Anne – October 10, 2013 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post