'NSync Reunion at the 2013 VMAs: Hit or Miss?

Get More: Awards

2013 MTV Video Music Awards - ShowGiven that it’s been a decade since ’NSync last appeared together on TV, anything could’ve happened — or gone wrong — at Sunday night’s reunion of Justin Timberlake and his former (and formerly boyish) boy band.

Yet couldn’t you just hear the “Sexyback” singer — the recipient of this year’s Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award — saying, “We will not make fools of ourselves – this I promise you”?

But what about you? Did you feel cheated by the relatively short time they appeared on stage? Or does a little ‘NSync go a long way?

PHOTOS | 2013 MTV VMAs: Best and Worst Moments

Watch the performance again and then vote!

Get More:
2013 VMA, Artists.MTV, Music, Justin Timberlake

Comments (122)

• I was just happy to see them all standing next to each other let alone performing. That was the highlight of my week. Considering they said they’d NEVER do a reunion again, I’ll take it.

Comment by Melinda – August 25, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NSYNC sang “Bye, Bye, Bye” and then try were “Gone”…. What, too soon?

Comment by Chris – August 25, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it but there needed to be more! JT has an over the top ego! He broke the band up without even giving the fans a farewell tour!! The fans are what made him!! NSYNC and the FANS made JT famous not the other way around!!! He didn’t even invite the members of his band to his wedding. Disappointed in JT!!!! But loved seeming them together after 10 or so years! Brings back childhood memory’s.

Comment by Jennifer – August 25, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I agree that Justin totally screwed his band mates over by reducing them basically to his backup dancers… Justin didn’t break up the band… Lance did, when he decided he wanted to go explore outer Space. It wasn’t Justin. Not that I don’t believe he would have remained with N SYNC much longer. But still, if you are going to blame someone for breaking them up, blame the right guy.

Comment by Lena – August 25, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was awkward. It felt forced. It was like he didn’t want to do it, but decided to throw a dog a bone. The guys were either fat and/or out of shape and clearly could not keep up with JT so sad to say, but they didn’t need to be on stage any longer than they were. I agree that if the NSYNC reunion hadn’t been hyped the way it was, then bringing them out during his performance would have been awesome, but alas, no. Anyway, it was nice for Lady Gaga to open the Justin Timberlake concert and for Katy Perry to close! :)

Comment by Alice – August 25, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too short :( And I wish they had done I want you back. *sigh* tbt gonna listen to some nsync now.

Comment by Stacy – August 25, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too. Many. Lights.

Comment by tstephen51 – August 25, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have separated the NSYNC reunion and his MJ award performance.

Comment by mark – August 25, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was excited that Nsync came on at all. I agree they should’ve maybe did a few more songs or something, but ill take what I can get. Justin once said that they would never have a reunion so the fact that they were on the vmas together at all tonight was amazing. Besides, this was a tribute to Justin, not Nsync. Nsync wouldn’t have even been what it was without Justin. Honestly, Justin has always been the best & favorite one & obviously he’s the most successful so why is everyone upset? The other boys can’t even keep up with him anymore, you can definitely tell. But anyways, I enjoyed it. Justin was amazing & well deserving of that award & I’m glad I got to remember my childhood for the minute that I did with Nsync coming out.

Comment by Kayla – August 25, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was JC haven’t microphone problems? It seems like a lot of people were, including Katy Perry. I couldn’t even understand what she was saying for the last half of her performance. The show was weird.

Comment by Jessica – August 25, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i liked it but so short, hopefully more is planned for future.

Comment by dude – August 25, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig me some JT but the VMA’s suck now! Its all pop and pop rap…how bout some variety? How bout a rock band or two? Back in the day there would be a big alt rock, rap, and pop performance. Now its all former Disney channel singers and safe little pop groups. I mean when Hannah Montana is the most “dangerous” and “edgy” performance of the night? Come on!

Comment by Nick – August 25, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • way to short :/ N’sync needs to get back together!

Comment by Rebecca – August 25, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have it a B simply because it was too short… but man, what we got was nice! (Even if Joey Fatone was looking like Joey Fat One… sorry!)

Comment by Steve F. – August 25, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know JT was winning the vanguard award, but it was 15 minutes of “YEAH JT!” and 3 minutes of “and this is NSYNC.” Which I get, if they hadn’t hyped up the NSYNC reunion like they had.

Comment by Abby (@thatabbyrose) – August 26, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Less JT, MORE NSYNC! JT needs to check himself and give more respect to the men and the fans who helped make his career! The world will be a happier place with NSYNC back in action! Come on boys lets go another round!

Comment by Kristina – August 26, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fail because it was too short, you blinked, you missed it. It was kinda like a lil’ dance break for Justin and a few notes of a song, a mess. It was still good to remind me that JC was the one with voice and talent and I so wish he was the one to go big after the band ended.

Comment by Leo – August 26, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked what little there was of it but I wish it had been longer. Thought they looked pretty good considering how long its been, though.

Comment by A – August 26, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it a B, but only because it was so short. My only complaint about the performance was the sound and the fact that they appeared to be JT’s back-ups. I need more NSYNC in my life!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 26, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good g-d, if you sneezed at the beginning of the performance, you missed the entire “reunion”.

Comment by Bob – August 26, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why couldn’t TPTB give ‘NSync a few more minutes for us fans?! Too short, but it was great seeing them again!

Comment by Lorie – August 26, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they were great!

Comment by Susan – August 26, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s my first time commenting here and I’m doing it because I believe *Nsync SHOULD reunite with or without Justin Timberlake, I will explain with an example: Take That. They are an amazing british boy band that birthed a megastar called Robbie Williams and came out waaay before *Nsync or Backstreet Boys. They reunited without him, released two amazing albums that were promoted with huge stadium tours and on the 3rd album, guess what? Robbie saw the chance and reunited with them, and he even went ahead on tour for the progress tour, they are currently on hiatus because of Robbie’s solo tour but are getting back together (with or without him) to record an album for 2014. So what’s the deal with nsync doing the same thing? It’s not like JC Chasez can’t hold the group on his own just like Gary Barlow did for take that, even JT has said he was the most talented one from *Nsync. Then, a few years later, when Justin Timberlake gets sick of banging Jessica Biel and his solo career he can rejoin them, I think that beats growing older and letting go this window of opportunity where all the boy bands are reuniting.

Comment by Diego Solano – August 26, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to critique something that only lasted a few seconds.

Comment by Thats what she said – August 26, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly am sorry, NSYNC fans, I think you were robbed. All the hype, and for what? If you need a boy band fix, BSB, 98 Degrees, and New Kids all released new albums this year. BSB is currently on tour (with a movie this fall!) to celebrate their 20th anniversary! (wow, we are old, 90s kids!) So go get your boy band fix where you can! Plus, Pentatonix (Sing-Off winners) have an amazing NSYNC medley on youtube to check out :)

Comment by bb – August 26, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was overwhelmed with excitement when I heard “gone” start to play and instantly disappointed when I understood it was over and “suit and tie” started. I have said in the past 10 years that I’d just like to see them together once more, and also just to see the other guys on stage anywhere (especially JC) would make me happy so all in all I have to say it was everything I’ve dreamed of and more. I wish they would have done a slower song to show their voices better but it is the vmas and more about the visual performance. My favorite part was at the end when JC belted out “baby, baby, baby” looking at Justin like “dont forget I can out sing you any day of the week” priceless…. I can say I want so much more but you could def see the bitter undertones between the 4 guys toward Justin and that breaks my heart a little so I think they’ll need to get past that before we can expect to see them anywhere else. I will forever love and support them no matter what:)

Comment by Nsyncsbiggestfan – August 26, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gave it a C because that was waaaaay too short :(

Comment by AT – August 26, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was too short and there was an annoying light that kept shining right into the camera–distracting!!

Comment by JAMANDAFAN – August 26, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What rhymes with “They Stink”?

Comment by HAP – August 26, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW. That was like prom night…highly overrated.

Comment by TL – August 26, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to hear a real boy band, check out BSB’s new album, “In a World Like This”, it rungs rings around these guys, or One Direction for that matter.

Comment by Robert Trail – August 26, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great performance but way too short! They should have cut Miley and given her time to NSync!

Comment by Jody – August 26, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally like destinys child reunion at the super bowl…. short and only the main performer stays for another song… so sad!!

Comment by jackie – August 26, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was way too short. I felt cheated on this performance. On the other hand, anyone noticed Ryan Gosling dancing along in the audience area? If you look really hard on the bottom left, he’s there.

Comment by Mochi – August 26, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin acted like he was the “Michael Jordan” of Pop. He could easily have gotten all of the kudos he deserved and had the guys perform with him for at least one song, instead of as his backup band. He’s very talented, but it’s all about him – huge ego. At the end of the show when Jimmy Fallon was falling all over himself congratulating Justin and then realized he needed to give the stage to Justin saying, ” I better get off of here and give the stage to you,” Justin made that snide remark, ” Yeah you better stay there before you make it even more awkward.” I’m glad I don’t have to be his “mirror”!

Comment by Kelly – August 28, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always been a fan of Justin but the appearance of nsync or the lack there of made me feel he’s lost where he came from or what loyalty is.. They didn’t need a lot but 1 minute. Wow

Comment by ricky – August 29, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post