'NSync Reunion at the 2013 VMAs: Hit or Miss?

2013 MTV Video Music Awards - ShowGiven that it’s been a decade since ’NSync last appeared together on TV, anything could’ve happened — or gone wrong — at Sunday night’s reunion of Justin Timberlake and his former (and formerly boyish) boy band.

Yet couldn’t you just hear the “Sexyback” singer — the recipient of this year’s Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award — saying, “We will not make fools of ourselves – this I promise you”?

But what about you? Did you feel cheated by the relatively short time they appeared on stage? Or does a little ‘NSync go a long way?

PHOTOS | 2013 MTV VMAs: Best and Worst Moments

Watch the performance again and then vote!

Get More:
2013 VMA, Artists.MTV, Music, Justin Timberlake

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Awards

1. Azrielen says:

I only gave it a C because it was WAY too short! Loved it Needed so much more!

• Xime says:

Yes it was too short.. when JT started singing Suit & Tie I was like That’s all? I felt bummed

• Rook says:

Yeah it felt like a fake out. Oh you think Nsync is gonna perform…..? nope here’s more Justin.

• Emma says:

Ya, I found it funny, it was like he just brought them out to say BYE, BYE, BYE to them and then back to me now everybody. hahah

• daa says:

if you didnt notice it was justins night and not nsync!! they didnt reunited…if they do they would be together!!!!!!! they were to support justin…they say it on interview!!! if it wasnt for justin you woudnt see nothing!!! all you say crap stupid that they shoud performe again and when they do..you all have stupid comments!!! i wanted see justins song for example because the award go to him and not nsync if you didnt notece that you idionts!!!

• Azrielen says:

I was hoping the rest of NSYNC would stick around and be his backup singers for Suit and Tie at least! I mean, they were wearing suits!

• JJM says:

I completely agree… and Lance missed a step there at some point. I think they should have made it longer, but then again it would have been too much of a tease since they aren’t actually getting back together. I can understand that whoever designed the performance didn’t want to steal much of the spotlight away from JT.

Honest words from a true…….
      – BSB Fan.

2. Dan says:

It was awkward as hell.

• O-Town says:

Agree. If I remember correctly, I never much cared for Justin Timberlake’s voice. Still don’t. In N’Sync, JC Chasez voice always sounded the “strongest”. Justin’s voice is stuck at a whiny pitch. Might explain why it was just that one song because the more songs they sing from their past, the more apparent how weak Justin’s vocals are compared to JC Chasez’s.

3. mckryan says:

We needed more N’Sync! I love JT and all, but we needed more of the group!!

4. Greg says:

Joey Fat One’s heart couldn’t take more than 60 seconds.

• Tracy says:

Joey was great! All the guys were so why are you being so mean? Joey isn’t skinny but he looked good! Women don’t like skinny men! We like a man who feels as though he can protect us when he’s holding us!

5. Christy says:

It was SUPER AWESOME but needed to be at least 1 min longer. I felt so bad for them when they were lowered back into what I can only assume is their frozen slumber until the next reunion.

6. Hannah says:

Justin was great, but Nsync was onstage for a minute. I was disappointed. Less Suit and Tie, more Bye Bye Bye!

7. Ashley says:

I wish it’d been longer, but I’m just so happy that it’s something that happened. Still, that entire performance, love or hate him, was absolutely fantastic and will go down as one of the best in the history of the show.

• Eliza says:

I agree that it was too short. Also agree that Justin’s performance was absolutely fantastic. No one came close for me tonight. Those newer boy bands hope to have half the success Justin has had. So kudos to him.

8. aa says:

I would have liked to hear a couple more songs or, alternatively, one full song. But hey, they were together!

9. Jules says:

That sucked hard, that wasnt NSync that was just the JT pimping show while the other band members make a lame appearance. I give it a D, man these VMAs are terrible.

• jestsaying says:

It was the same with Beyonce and Destiny’s Child at the Superbowl. Either they don’t have enough time to prepare full medley’s because of the whole surprise factor or the “stars” just don’t want to give up that much of their air time. Considering how badly the secret was kept for NSync showing up, they might as well have just admitted they were doing it and really practiced and gotten a better medley prepared.

• Mikael says:

I was going to say the same thing. Beyonce gave Kelly & Michelle more time than Justin gave the rest of NSync, but both were still a disappointment. They should remember that without those roots, they’d never have grown into the solo stars they are now. Give them at least 1 full song.

• trace says:

I agree. JT needs to remember that if it wasn’t for *N’SYNC he wouldn’t be where he is today. It was nice of him to include them in his thank you speech, but if he really wanted to thank them he should’ve given them the stage time they deserved & done at least one full song with them instead of a short chorus from “Girlfriend” & “Bye Bye Bye”. And if he thinks he’s to good to do a full reunion album or tour with them then he needs his head set on straight. Doesn’t he realize how much his solo record sales would rise if he did a *N’SYNC album/reunion. All in all I have to give it a C cause it was great seeing them together to perform the brief period of time, but give your fans what they really want JT……more *N’SYNC. Remember most of your current fans followed you from *N’SYNC.

• daa says:

but if you did listened they interview!! you know that they didnt perform and some dance like joey 10 years!!! and they only few days prepare for the awards!!!! i would like to see all of you !!!! they say that they would could no longer be on the stage for so long!!! joey say that he almost collapse after the 2 minutes!!! when they started like a band they have to prepare months before they go stage…and now they have few days after 10 years doing nothing others and you expect what you idiots!!! it was perfect moment so shut up!!!

10. Mare says:

Too short :/

11. Brandy says:

Way too short, and I wanted my Dirty Pop!

12. Jen says:

Justin needed to do less of his solo stuff and have a longer Nsync set. But the reunion was still awesome

13. Samantha says:

I NEED MORE NSYNC. Not NEARLY enough.

14. Courtney says:

just not nearly long enough

15. Stevie says:

Considering it was said about 5 years ago that we’d NEVER see an *NSYNC reunion, albeit short-lived, I’d have to say a little goes a LONG way!!

16. ashley says:

Way too short

17. P says:

Best moment in a very loooooong time!!

18. Amber says:

I loved it! But so could (should) have been longer!

19. h says:

He didnt seen happy to do it. I was not a fan of Nsync, so i didn’t care for it

20. sara says:

Liked NSync but Justin Timberlake`s ego is officially out of control. Seriously, that was embarrassing.

• K. says:

I agree and I really like a lot of Justins songs and people are loving Justins performance last night but for me it was mostly dancing and not much singing going on! Also would have loved more NSync! I think people think JT’s performance was the best of last night because the whole show was a mess and terrible…….

• jenferner8 says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks so. I can’t even gripe about him around certain people because all I hear is how great they think he is. Seriously, I should be able to voice my opinion. All I hear is “I know you don’t like him but…blah, blah, blah”

21. nams says:

far too short, but amazing…my 15 year old self came out today, and probably scared my husband lol.

22. Matt says:

To be quite honest? I was looking so forward to this but it became pretty apparent within 10 seconds they can’t keep up with him these days. It’s just reality. They don’t still do it.

• Tess says:

Given that they haven’t all been performing (together or as solos) for the last several years while JT has been, of course they would not all be quite up to par – especially since this was probably something that only came together in the last week as news was leaking that they might reunite. If they had more time to prepare, I think it would’ve been a different story in that respect. Still, it was the highlight of the show even if it only lasted a minute or so. I agree with others here that there should’ve been more ‘NSYNC and a little less solo JT (it began to feel like a JT concert that happened to also be the VMA’s and not the VMA’s with a JT performance) but I guess something is better than nothing.

23. Babybop says:

I LOVED it. But I wish it was longer. Them singing together is a thing again, right? Because I need more of this in my life…

24. floacist says:

That was absolutely awesome. I wish was the lighting was better but all in all NSYNC was the highlight.

• Jenny says:

I would also say the sound as well. Could barely hear JC on his part. Happy for NSYNC fans because I know you never expected it would happen.

25. Christy says:

I gave it an A but it was too short!

26. Thea says:

So short, it might as well not have even happened. What a tease. -_-

27. Gina says:

I love love love love Nsync so of course I would have liked to see more of them together, but I’ll take what I can get. This just gives me hope that a full blown reunion isn’t ruled out.

I loved it!!!

28. Alexandra says:

TOO SHORT!!! They might as well not have appeared. I spent most of JT’s performance anticipating “NSYNC and the rest of it disappointed that they were on for only a second. I LOVE Justin, but if you are going to bring the rest of the guys on, show them all the respect they deserve.

29. Dave says:

It just ended up being JT with four backup dancers. What’s new? What was the point really? You could barely even see their faces.

• floacist says:

The whole set was pretty dark, you couldn’t really see anyone. It was still great. So they mainly sang the bridge and chorus. It wasn’t an NSYNC tribute, so they couldn’t go full out.

30. TheFactsR says:

TOOOO SHORT

31. Was it too short… Yeah, HOWEVER, it was 10 yrs since they’ve been on stage together. I will take it and run with it

32. Christine says:

I wanted a WHOLE 4min song, it was, like not much :-(

33. Bin says:

Chris Kirkpatrick will be just in time to make it back to Denny’s for his midnight shift.

34. KSM says:

Any NSYNC is better than no NSYNC!!!

35. Janet Gorman says:

awesome wanted longer but so happy!!

36. What says:

That’s was rough. The whole thing. JT could have shaved a song or two off his for the rest of the group. Like he said, half your moon men were won with nsync. Get it together. I always thought that jt has an ego to me this proved it. What in the world was that? Nsync only on stage for maybe 45 seconds, couldn’t hear them, justin was front and center the whole time. That was pitiful. All this build up, for that???

37. KittyJules says:

Too short!!!!!!!

38. Amber says:

Considering it took this long to even get a solid rumor of a reunion, I’ll take whatever I could get. And it was glorious.

39. Jillian says:

It was far too short. Destiny’s Child did it right at the Superbowl by being on stage for more than 30 seconds. JT’s performance was phenomenal though. None of the other performers to follow are not going to even come close to that. JT is a truly spectacular ARTIST.

40. DreamRose311 says:

If it had somehow been kept a surprise, I think it would have been totally satisfying… but having a whole week to get excited about it caused it to be a major disappointment…

On a total side note… Ivan from SYTYCD S2 was one of his dancers!!! YEAH

• Nunaya_Bidness says:

You caught that too!?!? I was so happy and excited for Ivan, that was all he wanted in season 2, was to be a dancer with Justin.. So glad his dream is a reality for him and seeing him again was great!

• Faith says:

I thought that was Ivan! Good for him! so happy he’s making it!

41. Rachel says:

Amazing but WAYYYYYYYYY too short, and the sound was terrible. I had to turn the sounds up just to hear it ok, now I’m deaf.

42. Elizabeth says:

2 and a half hours of recording for a 1 minute reunion. I feel cheated. The Destiny’s Child Super Bowl reunion and Spice Girls Olympic reunion were way better.

43. andjuliesaid says:

I don’t like Beyonce, but at least she gave her bandmates a decent showing at the Super Bowl. Justin is such an egomaniac. I felt sorry for the other guys.

But whatever. I love NSync, so I’ll take what I can get.

44. A. L. says:

Partly through the performance, I realized what was going on – Justin Timberlake was working backwards through his history of songs. And when he got to his N’sync days, I knew the reunion would come. As his segment went on, and on, and on, and on and on, and still no N’sync, I realized that if they appeared it would only be for a minute.

And appear they did – their voices muted into the background as Justin Timberlake retained his front and center position. They were clearly pissed about their short time on stage and their back-up singer status, and he was clearly just using them as bit players to tell his onstage biography.

It was pretty ridiculous. My primary reaction at the end was that I’d never realized how egotistical Justin Timberlake was.

45. TayMads says:

I don’t get why everyone is upset that the N’Sync reunion only lasted for a minute or so. This award wasn’t about N’Sync, it was about Justin Timberlake. He didn’t get the award because he was in a band ten years ago and they were only recognizing their work. This wasn’t about N’Sync, this was about him so of course they were only on the stage for a minute or so. Yes. If he would of never joined the band N’Sync then he wouldn’t have became the solo artist he is now. And yes, I think they deserved recognition for being a part of his success. But JUSTIN was the one that released Justified. JUSTIN is the one that writes his songs and does his videos. Justin’s work was being recognized tonight. Not N’Sync. So it makes sense to me that they would have a small moment when the reward was really just recognizing Justin Timberlake’s career. If it was recognizing all five of the band members then all five of them would have gotten a reward. I don’t think it was Justin’s ego that got in the way, I think it was the fact that it wasn’t really about them, but about him so they focused on JT instead of N’Sync. What was everyone expecting?

• Xime says:

Well yes it was Justin’s award but if he wanted to remember his Nsync days, he should do it longer. Think about it, if NSnyc didn’t exist he probably wouldn’t be the huge star he is now….

• Loz says:

Yes true, but they could have sung the whole of bye bye bye…. if not for Nsync he would not have got that award…. he probably wouldn’t be such a huge star without them. Plus they made such a a HUGE deal out of the Nsync reunion and to only have them on stage for a few mins is just pointless really, should have been on for way longer or at least over 5 mins.

• TayMads says:

Yes and I understand that and even agree that it is because of N’Sync that he is Justin Timberlake but I personally believe that the reunion wasn’t planned at all until the rumors began and then at the last minute they added in the N’Sync reunion for the fans. I think this was truly for the fans and not because N’Sync themselves wanted it to happen. I think Justin Timberlake is appreciative for his N’Sync days but I also think he recognizes that those days are over and that he is past that now. I think everyone needs to realize that N’Sync is over and as much as the fans want a reunion tour, it will probably never happen.

• Andrea says:

I didn’t know that Justin was getting any sort of award. What came out was that NSYNC was reuniting, and Justin Timberlake is NOT the same as NSYNC. Justin has had a decent career since NSYNC, but the Internet and Twitter were absolutely exploding in the hours up to the VMAs, and it wasn’t because Justin was getting some award.

I think most people try to understand the passage of time and that people want to do other things. Life goes on. However, i think personalities get themselves in trouble when they try to pretend that they were never part of a phenomenon. I have no idea what any of the guys really think about their days in NSYNC. Privately, they may hate the fact that they ever worked together at all. Or they may have thought each day was fabulous. Regardless of what they thought, though, those days happened, and they can’t pretend they didn’t.

I wish that aging pop stars would figure out that nostalgia is a big thing. Doesn’t mean that we all expect to be 15 years old again. I’m much more of the New Kids generation. I was even old for NSYNC when they were actually NSYNC. New Kids was never my thing, but situations like last night really make me respect Donnie Wahlberg. He still goes out on tour with New Kids when he’s on hiatus from Blue Bloods. I have no idea how he sounds now, but I guarantee you that he probably makes someone’s day when he performs because they want to feel nostalgic for a few hours. Even if the guys of NSYNC can’t stand each other’s guts anymore, MTV and they themselves could have created quite a moment if they just could have gotten everyone on the same page for ONE full song. Then everyone could have gone back to whatever his aspirations might be. Missed opportunity…which perhaps one day they will understand when they feel nostalgic about something.

• Shannon says:

FYI – NKOTB still sounds great!! The NKOTBSB and Package Tours were incredible and I felt very nostalgic during those concerts. Completely agree with your comments regarding NSYNC.

• bb says:

I agree Shannon. I went to NKOTBSB and then The Package Tour and I was really impressed. The vocals were amazing, and they put on great shows!

• jenferner8 says:

Justin is OVERRATED.

46. Crystal says:

I understand It was JT’s award and performance, but think he stole too much of the spotlight even with NSync I could barley even hear anyone’s voice but JT! I felt extremely bad that the other Nsyncers didn’t get to enjoy being back in the spotlight!

47. jenferner8 says:

Timberlake WAY overrated. FYI-Justin, “letting” N’sync “perform” between your songs does not a reunio make. Think I saw more of Taylor Swift during that “reunion”.

48. Xime says:

It was toooooo short! Come on guys! I know it was JT award but the fans wanted (and still want) more Nsync

49. Loz says:

There was almost no point to it…. they could have at least sang the WHOLE of bye bye bye…… but I did enjoy it.

• Andrea says:

I have to thank Ausiello—because I immediately went and deleted the unwatched VMAs from my DVR after viewing this clip. I agree that there was barely a point to it. I didn’t mind the sound. The guys sounded fine to me, but it was absurdly short and did not live up to the hype at all. I feel like everyone who was excited fell for a huge publicity stunt. Shame on me.