The Best and (Even Better!) the Worst of the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards!

Never mind that MTV hasn’t aired a music video since the The Real World actually bore a passing resemblance to the real world, the Video Music Awards remain an event awash in suspense. (What, if anything, will Lady Gaga wear?)

And not to take anything away from Sunday night’s official winners (see below for that list), but we went ahead and handed out our own prizes in such categories as Biggest Surprise, Best Presenter and Wiggiest Entrance.

VIDEO | Watch Lady Gaga’s Full VMA Performance

So what are you waiting for? Get scrolling, clicking, commenting!

AND THE WINNERS WERE…

Video Of The Year
Justin Timberlake – “Mirrors”

Best Hip-Hop Video
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton – “Cant’ Hold Us”

Best Male Video
Bruno Mars – “Locked Out of Heaven”

Best Female Video
Taylor Swift – “I Knew You Were Trouble”

Best Pop Video
Selena Gomez – “Come and Get It”

Artist To Watch
Austin Mahone – “What About Love”

Best Collaboration
P!nk feat. Nate Ruess – “Just Give Me A Reason”

Best Video With A Social Message
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – “Same Love”

Best Rock Video
Thirty Seconds To Mars – “Up In The Air”

Best Art Direction
Janelle Monae feat. Erykah Badu – “Q.U.E.E.N.”

Best Choreography
Bruno Mars – “Treasure”

b>Best Cinematography
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton – “Cant’ Hold Us”

Best Direction
Justin Timberlake feat. JAY Z – “Suit & Tie”

Best Editing
Justin Timberlake – “Mirrors”

Best Visual Effects
Capital Cities – “Safe and Sound”

Song Of The Summer
One Direction – “Best Song Ever”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Awards

1. Sam says:

Um wow. Kanye didn’t even perform black skinhead. It was Blood On the Leaves. Get it together if you’re going to criticize.

• Eli says:

Gaga’s wigs were symbolic for her career progression stages….and that booing was not by the audience, that was part of the act showing that she was booed early on untill she reached the stage of being applauded (hence, Applause)

2. V says:

The entire show was a mess.

3. Ethan says:

JT owes MJ a writing credit, “Roar”, “Applause”, and “What About Love” have some of the saddest, simplest lyrics I’ve ever heard/read. However music is not sad or in a bad place. MTV has no reflection on actual music, nor does “popular” society. The show was just pathetic.

4. Lisa says:

Nsync were terrible and two of them have really let themselves go physically. I would have turned down the gig if I were them.

Macklemore and Lewis, with Mary Lambert were the only redeeming things about the whole broadcast.

5. PB says:

Miley Cyrus was the WORST, that girl is trashy

• Nick C says:

no way!
      she was the best part.
      Who doesn’t love a slut?

• Mary says:

That it what you call trying to hard to prove you are no longer a Disney Princess. How someone can go from sweet to sleaze in a couple of years is unreal. Robin thick was no better allowing her to grind against him – he came off as a perv. One thing she did confirm is that she still cannot sing live. I am all for pushing boundaries, but show class please. The only thing missing was the pole.

6. Dave says:

I haven’t seen much of Kevin Hart’s standup, but if his “jokes” tonight were any indication, I have no intention of ever watching him perform again. That was just awful. I always hear people talking about how funny he is. Seriously?!

• scooby says:

That’s his M.O., to say things that are supposed to sound like jokes, but just because you get the delivery right doesn’t mean the actual joke is funny. Watch (or maybe don’t, save yourself) Hart on SNL. His monologue is one of the worst I’ve seen. He’s basically Dane Cook.

7. Marcinho11 says:

I wonder why they chose JGL to present Video of the Year? It’s so random!

• Deg says:

not random… the whole thing is promotion… and his movie ‘Don Jon’ is coming out, present the award promote your movie. these ‘awards’ are just paid promotion.

• Delirious says:

You just have to listen to how they present whoever. In this case, “from the new feature film Don Jon, JGL!”, or whatever.

8. RUCookie says:

What a flipping disaster. Bid not for JT s killer spot and Bruno Mars showing the audience how real singing sounds the evening would ave started and dyed with Gaga (lover it)….must say Macklemore was great but why in the world did JHud ruin that girl’s moment?

• Prisilla Ortiz says:

Omg u said everything i was thinking. When Jennifer hudson came out i was like poor girl that was her first time performing at the vmas and it was kind of her night bc the song was such a big deal and she had to share the light w. Jhud… smh

9. Kim says:

Hey, at least we were given two thousand close up shots of Taylor Swifts face throughout the show – that’s why I watch the vmas, I don’t know about the rest of you.

• Dave says:

Lmao! Right?! What was up with that? It’s like they were only allowed to show one section of the audience that happened to include Swift and Gomez, Gaga, and Will Smith and his kids.

10. dude says:

Miley’s display was shameful. Trying to make out with a married man and gyrating on him the way she was (which definitely seemed to make him uncomfortable) was a disgusting display. She crossed a line.

• scooby says:

I dunno. I agree with you on how it seemed to make him feel, and she was definitely getting into it in a way that made you cringe, but he did get a naked woman to grind on him in the video for Blurred Lines. Maybe Miley went farther than she was supposed to from what they’d choreographed. It’s one thing if it’s scripted in the video as a thing, another if she’s giving an impromptu lap dance (well, he was standing but you know what I mean).

• Amanda says:

You need to watch Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines video…everything, down to the outfit she wore was in his video. She really didn’t go as far as people think she did (he did way more in the actual video to the song), it’s just because she a prior Disney girl, she’s getting all this backlash,,

• Lena120 says:

I don’t think that’s true at all. She’s getting a backlash because she’s coming across as desperate and trashy. She’s not the first child star to grow up and won’t be the last. There are better ways to prove you’re an adult and this isn’t it. No one is buying what she’s selling. I wish she’d stop shaking her flat butt in our faces, put her tongue back in her mouth, and do something productive.

• Kim R says:

I don’t care if it was Miley or Jennifer Lopez, the foam finger stuff was gross and unnecessary. That’s why she’s getting backlash. Nothing to do with Disney. It was too much.

• Jenny says:

Miley needs to look up the words “classy” and “sexy” because what she is doing is neither. Who on Earth told her that ticking out your tongue every five seconds is sexy. She is trying way too hard to prove she isn’t a Disney star anymore.

• Emma says:

I wonder how many parents out there gathered up all their children’s Hannah Montana paraphernalia, put it in a pile in the back yard, and set it on fire. lol.

11. Lena120 says:

MIley Cyrus was gross. I wanted her far away from Robin Thicke and Kendrick Lamar. That girl is the epitome of trying TOO HARD. On a side note, is Jared Leto hiding an aging portrait in his attic because that man looks GREAT!

12. DreamRose311 says:

I just saw Bruno Mars in concert a few nights ago, so I would’ve loved to seen it performed differently than it was there… but on the other hand I replayed it like 5 times in a row so…

The man is one of the few most genuine articles to come out of music lately. Just killing it. I hope people hear that one small crack he had in his voice tonight, and realize that it’s proof he was singing live and performing to the roof. He and his band have the most amazing energy. His concert ranks among the best I’ve been to, and I’ve been to some great ones.

Ok, sorry I’m done, just love him.

• Ruby says:

Right there with you. I saw him a month ago and I still can’t get over it. His voice is flawless, and he’s such an incredible entertainer. He really needs a lot more attention.

13. diogomsilva says:

Still update Zedd didn’t win!

14. Xime says:

I loved Bruno Mars performance and the first part of JT presentation was amazing but I feel bummed for the “almost” NSync reunion… And I hated Miley Cyrus tongue, what was the need to be out of her mouth all the time? She was so vulgar…The rest of show was ok

15. Babybop says:

I don’t like any of the music nominated. I watched up until Miley Cyrus started and then quit. Watched Justin online earlier, he killed it!

16. S says:

I just loved Bruno and JT tonight! Bruno is such a cutie :D Watching Nsync together again even though it was only a few min was like being in the 90’s again <3 Also, love or hate the song Lady Gaga can sing! I thought she did great tonight as well. Miley was just an embarrassment wow I can't believe Robin even performed with her it just ruined it. Does she think showing her tongue is sexy? but I guess some fans are loving it as she's number 2 on itunes. Sad.

• scooby says:

It was more like 50 seconds. Seriously, depends on if you count the part where they descended back into the stage. I felt a bit ripped off. I didn’t know I was gonna get so little reunion. A bit of another hit or two in a medley would’ve worked fine.

17. Olivia says:

This show was such a mess, ugh. Love Macklemore and Mary Lambert, glad they had their moment… too bad we don’t have more artists with that kind of talent. I guess the more inexistant/stupid lyrics you have, the more your chances to have a hit are high.

18. Pati says:

yeah what the hell was Jared Leto wearing? He is a beautiful hot mess. Love Katie’s song but the performance was meh. Miley no words. Justin killed it.

19. WTactualF says:

A bunch of talentless hacks

20. Bob says:

Yes, the Gaga boos were as canned as Spam.

21. Bob says:

Why does Cyrus think that sticking her tongue out as far as she can is in any way sexy. No guy wants to see that. Feel it, maybe, but definitely not see it like that. Disgusting wh**e display.

22. peter says:

i never liked boy bands but justin timberlake has i big presence on the stage
    i remember him on the espys 2008 was really good and very funny !!

23. Emma says:

How are these winners chosen?!?! Is it voted on by mindless teenage girls?!?! I mean seriously, 1D song of the year?!?! puh-leeze

• Mikael says:

Exactly! I have heard all the other nominees’ songs on the radio much more than the 1D song. It should’ve been Robin Thicke for sure. The VMAs stopped being relevant years ago. GaGa and JT’s performances were the only good things.

• Deg says:

It’s bought and paid for promotion… they’re not giving away awards, the awards are meaningless… they’re making a tv show.

24. hello says:

Miley Cyrus just cemented that she desperate, patetic and childish

25. vanessa says:

as much as katy’s performance was anticlimactic, at least it was a lot more tasteful and fun than miley’s wtf whatever she was doing.

26. K. says:

MTV VMA please next year I’d rather sing Britney half way sing then what I saw last night! But really I would love to see Kelly Clarkson, Train, Paramore, Pink, One Republic, Maroon 5 and yes even Britney next year!!!Than again anything would be better than last night…..

27. BEST: the ‘NSync reunion (long time coming). WORST: Miley Cyrus performing with Robin Thicke (creating controversy).

28. Tony says:

SOMEONE HELP! Can anyone on this planet tell me what the picture is on the 2013 MTV Music Awards Banner. I see an X and two bumps that look like chef hats. It’s driving me crazy!!!

29. t86 says:

JT performance was amazing! The best of the night!

30. Tim Hudson says:

As a man i would love to express to Miley that i n no way at all was she even in the slightest bit sexy! When she stuck her tongue out she just looked really comical and its really long- kinda lookeddeformed in a way. It was just gross. Oh yea her body, please. She is just lanky and moved rather goofily. She has a flat but so twerking is just funny. So Miley i wish u could understand to a real man u made a total fool of yourself. You still have alot of growing up to do, so please put your clothes back on and for gods sake keep that nasty tongue IN your mouth!