NBC Eyes Dark Trip to Oz With Emerald City

Get More: News, Pilots

NBC Wizard of Oz Pilot Emerald CitySeriously, is anyone not off to see the Wizard this development season…?

Following in the ruby slippered footsteps of Syfy (and its post-apocalyptic Warriors of Oz) and CBS (with the medical drama Dorothy), NBC is developing Emerald City, which is described as a dark reimagining of L. Frank Baum’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and all its follow-up novels.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bosses: TV’s Onslaught of Wizard of Oz Projects Won’t Rush Our Own Plan for Dorothy

Per our sister site Deadline, Siberia creator Matthew Arnold is penning the Peacock’s adaptation, which like the aforementioned Oz-some projects comes on the eve of the iconic motion picture’s 75th anniversary.

What’s more, Heroes’ Tim Kring, Adam Armus and Nora Kay Foster reportedly have an Oz series on the horizon, while The CW’s Supernatural will set foot on the Yellow Brick Road this coming season.

Just this week, Once Upon a Time cocreator Eddy Kitsis reiterated the ABC drama’s plan to one day visit Oz, though on its own timetable and not hurried by this tornado of me-too projects. “Last year there were a few Wonderland[-based pilots],” he noted. “So you kind of have to throw your hat in the ring and see what happens.”

Comments (25)

• Wow people in the TV industry are so creative that they are going to beat this dead horse again. Sigh.

Comment by ajintexas – August 23, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahh, the sweet smell of cynicism. Gotta love it!

Comment by alistaircrane – August 23, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, it was the sweet cry of reality I believe. I’m pretty in-tune with that, unlike most people around here. Seems like ajintexas probably is too, judging by his/her post.

Comment by Matthew – August 23, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, but it’s a horse of a different color.

Comment by JCK – August 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love what you did there. :-)

Comment by TVFan – August 23, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love this comment. Funny, and optimistic!!

Comment by Anne – August 23, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I literally just came here to say the same thing. Really, a “dark trip to Oz?” How original and fresh!

Comment by atruekarmalife (@atruekarmalife) – August 23, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see a modern-day sequel to the Wizard of Oz starring Dorothy. It doesn’t need to be “dark and gritty”, though. I’ll be a happy camper as long as MGM loans NBC the rights to the ruby slippers!

Comment by alistaircrane – August 23, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this is based on the original books then they shall not be requiring the rights to the ruby slippers. In the books the slippers are silver and not ruby red. The ruby red slippers I believe were used in the movie to show how glorious technicolour would look on screen.
      Slightly off topic, it really irks me when I read some of the comments people leave regarding Once Upon A Time, a lot of people seem to complain that aspects of characters have been changed and the characters do not act the same as their Disney counterparts. Disney did not create these characters, most of the characters come from tales and stories by the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson. Disney have on many occasions gave beautiful interpretations of these stories. However they did not create the characters from scratch and changed many aspects of the stories as well, So I really do not understand why people have a problem with OUAT giving a different perspective and a new take on these classic characters.(I think I need my morning coffee)
      I thoroughly enjoy watching the characters I grew up reading about having new adventures and interacting across different stories and even worlds. If comic-books which I also read a lot of can take their title characters and have them interact with different heroes and villans from different titles, planets, universes and realms as well as rewriting a character’s history and resetting characters to fit into a story, whether it be bring them back from the dead giving them a personality overhaul or recasting them. I am more than happy to watch this play out n screen with OUAT for many years to come. The storytelling and possible directions for the many characters to take is endless.

Comment by John Mitchell Chisholm – August 24, 2013 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already tried a “modern-day” update. “The Wiz”. From 1978. The orginal broadyway show won sevral Tonys and the movie was up for 4 Oscars. While out dated today. It was a big hit back then for its reimiging of NYC as Oz at the time. Check it out!

Comment by Anthony – September 8, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to see “Wicked” the movie!

Comment by Morgen Pittman – August 23, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated the stage musical. There’s only one decent song in the entire score.

Comment by JCK – August 23, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Yes please. Featuring the original Broadway cast, if at all possible.

Comment by Julia – August 23, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Can’t wait till they finally make it. If they don’t do it soon, they won’t be able to use original cast, too old.

Comment by Anne – August 23, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wicked the BOOK the movie…

Comment by Jingle – August 23, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully with Adam lambert as Fiyero.

Comment by JCK – August 23, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eww, no!

I don’t know how I feel about a movie based on Wicked the musical. The music was too perfect. If anything, I would just want a DVD release of the stage production. However, I would definitely go for Wicked the book as a movie.

Comment by Lindsey – August 23, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This is what I don’t get. Given how successful the musical is and that a film version is nowhere near happening, why has no one thought of recording the stage production? It would sell really well given the millions of fans it has and all of the people that want to see it but can’t travel to the productions. Thankfully I’m finally getting to see it on the UK tour. As for a film, I think it would work if they got the casting right.
            As for this TV show, I’d certainly watch it. An adaptation that takes influence from all of the novels is certainly more appealing than the ideas of the other shows. Also look forward to seeing how OUAT do it when they finally do

Comment by Katie T – August 24, 2013 02:25 AM PDT
    • Yes, but not the musical. An actual book adaptation.

Comment by Laura Kiernan (@dummypants) – August 23, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And yet all I want is a Tin Man sequel, sigh.

Comment by Cass – August 23, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see a dark version of the Wizard of Oz, especially if it brings in the sequels, which, while not consistently fantastic, are still creative and very underused. This is the first of the Oz projects that has interested me.

Comment by Gilda – August 23, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wizard of Oz is a timeless story that can definitely be open to many interpretations. It’s just annoying they’re all trying to jump on the Once Upon a Time bandwagon.

Comment by Cherry – August 23, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch Emerald City before Syfy’s version which doesn’t even have any of the main characters in it!

Comment by K. – August 23, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ah hollywood creativity at its finest, why have different ideas when you can just piggyback on what someone else is doing?

Comment by Alan – August 24, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares? It’s not like if any of these shows are terrible it will matter.. man people just love to hate things.. OH MY GOSH somebody is making a story based off something that is already a story.. THE HORROR!!!!! The world MUST be ending..

Comment by Jooshua – August 24, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post