Emmys

Emmys 2013: What Should Win Outstanding Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

Emmys-2013-Best-Drama-SeriesIn 2012, Emmy voters chose the new flavor on the menu (Homeland) over “the regular” (Mad Men) in the battle for Outstanding Drama Series, stopping the latter show’s win streak in the category at four.

This time around, the question is whether Showtime’s thriller can repeat in its sophomore season, if AMC’s period drama can reclaim its crown, or whether the time has come to welcome a new champ.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

There’s only one neophyte nominee for 2013 — Netflix’s House of Cards — while the other three contenders — HBO’s
Game of Thrones, PBS’ Downton Abbey and Mad Men‘s AMC stablemate Breaking Bad — were all also-rans last year.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (65)

• First vote. Breaking Bad.

Comment by Austin – August 23, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, I’ll be happy with either.

Comment by Mike R. – August 23, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men

Comment by David – August 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad (and it looks like the timing might work out well since the final episodes, while not in consideration or anything, are airing in the midst of the voting period)

Comment by Katherine – August 23, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tough choice here and actually I enjoy all but House of Cards..( probaby because I have not seen it) I picked BB but would be happy with any of the others…

Comment by Sal – August 23, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife…oh yeah it wasn’t nominated.

Comment by Matt – August 23, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because it’s mediocre.

Comment by Waage – August 23, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s fantastic. It is an excellent analysis of politics, the legal system, public image, technology, family and relationships. Certainly better than the last season of Mad Men, the ridiculous Homeland and the soapy Downton (and I’m familiar with all three, which you clearly aren’t for GW, because if you’d seen all of The Good Wife you wouldn’t be saying that.)

Comment by Nat – August 23, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve seen every single episode of The Good Wife and I’m really happy it didn’t get nominated, because I think the show totally sucks. You must be under the impression that it would be impossible to dislike it if you watched it. Well, I’m here to prove to you it is possible. Because I’ve seen all of it, and I’m agreeing with Waage. Emmy voters must agree with us too if even Juliana Margulies couldn’t get nominated. Even when they opened the category up to seven spots she still couldn’t get the nomination! That’s very telling of exactly what they think about the show.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 24, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By far, the best show on broadcast television.

Comment by Marc – August 23, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s not saying much these days…

Comment by Meredith – August 23, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That and all these shows are extra vanilla. Not ONE network TV show? I don’t watch The Good Wife because when I watched the pilot it was terrible, but I know Aus cites it as the best drama. I guess as far as networks go Scandal would be up there, though I do think it’s bit hyped for how we’ve basically been dealing with the same exact thing for thirty episodes with no sign of letting up. However, Scandal would be nice. God forbid one of these shows has a series lead who’s a person of color. Personally, I think Grey’s just had its best season yet and it was the show I most looked forward to every week. The quality is there. You’ll notice that network TV shows stopped being nominated for these awards when public interest in Grey’s began to waver.

Comment by brycealexander – August 23, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Justified gets nominated, I might give a flip.

Comment by jsswite – August 23, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would have been my choice too.

Comment by Lisa London – August 23, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Chris G. – August 23, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed

Comment by KND – August 23, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great show! I like it better since they brought it back home, not so much Detroit influence! It should have been nominated !

Comment by Susie – September 11, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking over this list just reminds what a bunch of artistic nose in the air group they are! Not a single network show? Would it kill them to put up shows that are not so dark and heavy all the time? Parenthood, Suits, and shows on that order are just as enjoyable, however, unless you are killing people, British, or retro cool you do not belong at the party?

Comment by Mike – August 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you actually watch any of the nominated shows? Because it seems to me like you have a very flawed notion of what puts something like Breaking Bad ahead of something like Parenthood. I assure you, it’s not about being dark or heavy or killing people (tons of shows that aren’t considered “prestige” do that). It’s about ambition.

Comment by Superhero – August 23, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Breaking Bad is the best written and acted show on tv!! Hope they win the emmy.

Comment by JBC – August 23, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When network shows produce quality programing, they’ll get nominated. 22 episodes a year makes storylines become trivial and drag out. It makes the show seem more like a passtime then an actual event as well. Cable shows are nominated because they have shorter, concise, tight seasons that generally tell a clear story throughout. It comes down to quality. Also, I don’t think Breaking Bad falls under any of the 3 things you mentioned… the body count isn’t that high, I don’t remember a single British accent on the show either, and it takes place in modern times.

Comment by Matthew – August 23, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad for sure

Comment by Steve Mindyknowski – August 23, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. both are my fav shows. i think other shows dont stand a chance even especially House of Cards

Comment by Ahmed Hassan – August 23, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad.

Comment by Joey – August 23, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad has never won before…and it’s definitely time that it did.

Comment by Kat – August 23, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above. Continuum outshined them all.

Comment by Paul Hanlin Jr (@Paul_Hanlin_Jr) – August 23, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh dear. I enjoy CONTINUUM, but it doesn’t rank anywhere *near* the nominated shows.

Comment by Simon Jester – August 23, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Walking Dead which, of course, is not even nominated. Choosing from the list of regulars…..Breaking Bad.

Comment by wrstlgirl – August 23, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad or Homeland will win this year. People are overestimating Game of Thrones odds to win. Mad Men doesn’t deserve the win. House of Cards had a great first season but not great enough to win against these powerhouses. Downton Abbey last season was OK, though not worthy to be nominated in my opinion.

Comment by Austin – August 23, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some very good thoughts on the subject here. But I don’t think Mad Men was that bad. I liked the last season, but if I were a voter, I would still vote for Homeland and Breaking Bad over Mad Men. You’re totally right, one of those two shows is going to win. People who think it’s going to be GoT are dreaming.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 24, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland for me but I believe Breaking Bad will win this year.

Comment by Ana – August 23, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above.

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – August 23, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland defiantly!

Comment by hater4life – August 23, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad or Homeland. Disappointed Scandal got snubbed.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 23, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given that A Storm of Swords is the best of the Song of Ice and Fire books out to date, Game of Thrones could’ve disappointed a lot of fans with what they did this season. But they didn’t and it deserves to win. BB deserves the acting awards, but the GoT deserves the show.

Comment by betsy – August 23, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

Comment by BigAdam – August 23, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just trying to figure out why the hell Downton Abbey continues to get nominated. I can probably name at least a dozen dramas that are more deserving of that nomination.

Comment by Superhero – August 23, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones, its been the best season overall

Comment by thisisnotafairytale – August 23, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEXTER.

Comment by andy – August 23, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Breaking Bad. But honestly this is probably one of the toughest categories. Mad Men is great and worthy of a nomination, but not a win. I enjoy Downton Abbey, but its previous season was probably its weakest, and I’m not sure it deserved its nomination. The other four are very worthy. But I went with Breaking Bad because I find it to be the most consistent in excellent quality. I find Homeland to be up and down; when it’s good, it’s really good, but there are also a few so-so episodes. I was really impressed with House of Cards, and thought it had a fairly consistent season with an interesting plot and good acting, but I rank it slightly under BB and GoT. GoT was a VERY close second for me behind Breaking Bad, but yeah, like I said, had to end up going with BB after much deliberation. Very contentious category.

Comment by Ron – August 23, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But here’s the thing…Homeland may have been up and down all season, but since shows that are nominated for best drama or comedy submit six episodes for consideration, the Emmy voters are only going to be watching six episodes of Homeland and will be voting based on those six. And trust me, Homeland definitely submitted their 6 best episodes. The went with The Smile, Beirut is Back, New Car Smell, Q&A, In Memoriam, and The Choice.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 24, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who questions why Downton Abbey was nominated needs to watch episode 4, which I would bet is the one they submitted, in which Sybil gave birth and then later died from complications. The build up in the episode from the elation of the family welcoming a new baby to coming to the realization poor Sybil was in trouble and there was nothing anyone could do but watch her die ran the gamut of emotions and was spectacularly done. People can argue the season as a whole was uneven but that one episode packed a powerful punch and the Emmy voters don’t watch a whole season of a show, they only watch the episode that gets submitted to represent the show, so that one awesome episode is all it takes.

Comment by Tess – August 23, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except that for Best or Best Comedy, they submit 5 episodes.

Comment by JON – August 24, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except that for Best Drama or Best Comedy, they submit 5 episodes.

Comment by JON – August 24, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s actually 6 episodes for nominated series, unless they have an episode where one runs long, like last year Homeland submitted the 90-min. Marine One episode, which meant they could only submit 5 episodes.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 24, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland but I won’t be upset if Breaking Bad wins either.

Comment by Stephen S. – August 23, 2013 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something on a network show. It’s time for cable channels to get their own Emmy’s.

Comment by Maria – August 24, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same thing every freaking year, just like the Emmys. Can we please get some shows on here that I actually watch? Hello, where’s Justified? Orphan Black? The Killing? Fresh blood, please!

Comment by Jennifer – August 24, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 Sons of Anarchy, too.

Comment by Ruby – August 24, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMHO it should be Breaking Bad HOWEVER The House of Cards is a very close 2nd.
    Every episode of The House of Cards was superb but not only has BB been great it deserves the win for it’s final season.
    The Game of Thrones would also fall in the excellent catagory for me as well.
    Homeland & Downton Abbey were pretty good.
    Mad Men was merely OK this season it was all over the place.

Comment by Whatever – August 24, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t even know why we’re having a vote, we all know Breaking Bad is gonna take it. They’ll just keep awarding it until it’s gone and they can’t anymore, because that’s what the Emmy voters do.

Comment by Ruby – August 24, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breaking Bad has never won Best Drama series. Check your facts.

Comment by Kat – August 26, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Homeland for me. My favorite drama. I’m pretty sure it’s going to win for reals too. They submitted six really good episodes. Breaking Bad had a good shot, but they ran a terrible campaign. Voters don’t like it when shows start to act self-important. That was the final nail in Mad Men’s coffin last year when it started to pretend it was the most important show to ever exist. Now Breaking Bad is doing the same thing this year, and they even started that stupid Talking Bad show which exacerbates their problem with how important they think they are. It will be a total turn-off to the voters. The show’s fans aren’t helping BB’s chances either by getting online and acting like douchebags with their threats against Anna Gunn and their belief that nothing in the history of the world will ever be a more important show than Breaking Bad.
    I thought Breaking Bad might take best directing for Gliding All Over, but then I remembered David Fincher directed the House of Cards pilot which is nominated, so House of Cards is probably going to take best directing. Writing will go to Homeland for Q&A, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Breaking Bad took it for Say My Name.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 24, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just pissed that suddenly when HBO does a genre show the Emmy’s think its worth while. For decades there have been quality genre shows and perfomances that have been ignored because of bias. But now HBO does it and its “good”. Load of hoey (not to discredit any of the work/talent on GOT)

Comment by liz – August 24, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men time has passed.
    Homeland’s moment has passed.
    Breaking Bad is going into this awards’ season with the strongest momentum. I think it’ll win Outstanding Drama Series.
    They’ll make sure every cable drama gets the coveted prize before they give it to The Good Wife…

Comment by Justin – August 24, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad. It’s been the most consistent show of them all. In fact it’s got better as its gone on which is saying something. It’s clearly one of the greatest shows ever and if it finishes strong its certainly at least on a par with The Wire and The Sopranos and has the most incredible acting performance of the millennium. It’s about time it gets the recognition it deserves.

Comment by DG – August 24, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified. I really cannot comprehend how it was not nominated. Sigh. I’m the biggest Breaking Bad fan and I adore Mad Men and Game of Thrones, but in this particular year I would have given it to Justified. At least all the nominated shows are good.

Comment by Dave – August 24, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok trolls. Jump in. West Wing for Best Drama!

Comment by Stefany – August 24, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if more people watched House of Cards there would be a lot more support for it in here. It is fabulous. When the plot twists occur you are surprised but can look bad and see how careful the planning was to get it all fall into place. Brilliance. And the acting is fantastic.

Comment by Sarah – August 24, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Breaking Bad should win but I can’t believe Hannibal wasn’t nominated, that show was fantastic. Orphan Black was good too.

Comment by Ashok – August 24, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why Mad Men is getting a backlash this year. S6 was much better than S5.

Comment by annna – August 24, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen every single one of the nominees. In my opinion, Game of Thrones should win. The show never disappoints and the Red Wedding was amazing. Mad Men is my solid #2 with another terrific season. It’s been my favorite every year with GoT edging out this year due to some ballsy writing that even Mad Men couldn’t dare go for. Breaking Bad is my #3. It had a fantastic season, but the finale was rushed, and the ending nullified any of the detective work Hank did throughout 5 years of the show. It was all for naught, because Walt’s secret fell on his lap. I think it was the show’s first real fumble. House of Cards is my #4. Great show, but it turned into a sort of soap-opera towards the end. It was grounded in realism all the way until the VP-conspiracy was put in full throttle. Murder was one thing, but convincing the current VP to step down and run for Governor? Huh?? What a silly prospect. Downton and Homeland had completely ridiculous seasons. Downton killed off half its cast as if it was going through the Black Plague, while Homeland seemed to hire Michael Bay to write the last few episodes.

If it was up to me, DA and Homeland would have been snubbed in favor of Dexter and Suits.

Comment by Feedback – August 25, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot to add my actual predictions.

I think Homeland is winning. It got nominated in every acting category. The Emmy voters are still in love with it even though this season was horrible.

Breaking Bad and House of Cards are the dark horses here. Mad Men and Downton Abbey’s Emmy dominance has passed. None of them will be winning this year. As for Game of Thrones, I sadly don’t think they will ever give it the recognition it deserves.

After they snubbed Corey Stoll for Supporting Actor, I just accepted the fact that they have no idea what they are doing.

Comment by Feedback – August 25, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House of Cards for me!

Comment by xander – August 27, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Downton Abbey! Season 3 was great! :)

Comment by Andrea – August 31, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post