Glee's Jane Lynch: Cory Monteith Memorial Episode Is the 'Most Beautiful Thing'

Glee Episode Remembers Cory MonteithGlee‘s Season 5 tribute to its late star Cory Monteith already has one influential fan.

Jane Lynch tweeted Wednesday that the script was the “most beautiful thing” and thanked series creator Ryan Murphy and executive producers Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan.

RELATED | Glee Exclusive: Demi Lovato Poised to Join Season 5 Cast for Major Arc

Murphy recently said Finn’s passing would not mirror what happened to Monteith, who died from a toxic mix of drugs and alcohol in July — and that the memorial episode may not definitively say how Finn passes away.

“How somebody died is interesting and maybe morbid, but we say very early on in the episode, ‘This episode is about a celebration of that character’s life.’ That might be weird for some people, but it felt really exploitative to do it any other way,” Murphy said.

He added: “I think [the script] turned out to be a lovely tribute, and it’s a very heartfelt look at how some people grieve. We’re trying to craft an episode that’s not just about us grieving but about a lot of the young fans grieving.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: In Memoriam, News

1. dude says:

How can the filming have began on the 12th when Jane Lynch posted she JUST read the script now? Is she not in the episode?

• Iris says:

Didnt they film the two Beatles episodes first? I guess they were working on the script and now its ready for castreading.

• Elyse says:

from what I heard the Beatles episodes are the first and second episodes of the season and then I would assume Cory’s episode would be the third.

• dude says:

That’s what I assumed. They deleted it now but in the original story it said that Ryan Murphy confirmed they began filming the episode on the 12th which makes no sense and I’m assuming that’s why it was taken out.

• English says:

PSAs for commercial breaks are supposed to be part of the episode as well. They may have started with those.

2. I have a feeling that this “death” is going to probably be the cliffhanger of the second episode.Rachel or Kurt will get a call about Finn and then glee.

• dude says:

Well honestly, I’d rather they set it up instead of just throwing it into episode three. That would be a good way to get around Cory not being able to film a final scene.

• Meredith says:

It feels abrupt, but young people are far more likely to die in accidents (car accidents, overdoses, walking into traffic while the teeniest bit buzzed, etc.) in the nighttime than they are in the daytime, so having the news broken to the kids in the choir room first thing in the morning/right at the beginning of the episode would be pretty realistic.

3. JR says:

Sounds to me like Jane got some talking points from Fox after her interview with Marc Malkin aired with her saying that the tribute was going to be “awful” (to make) but “had to be done”. I just hope they do justice to Cory and his indelible character Finn.

• Mike R. says:

If that was exactly what she said I would guess you misinterpreted, sounds more like “I hate that we have to do this” more than the script is going to suck.

• Paul says:

“Awful to Make” to me means that it’s going to be sad, not that the episode was going to be awful.

4. Reg says:

Glee has a funny shooting schedule from what I’ve read. They sometimes film more then one episode at a time and they record the songs way in advance. And yes, the first two episodes are the Beatles tribute episodes and the third episode is the Finn/Corey tribute, after which they are taking a long hiatus. I’m glad they are putting more emphasis on a memorial then how Finn actually dies, and I really hope most of the episode features the original Glee cast and not so much the newbies. Regardless, it will be a tough episode to watch for all us Gleeks.

5. DavidSask says:

This show needs to tank, especially how they treat their viewers with how little episodes air consecutively!

• Wouter says:

Almost every show does this

• Eric says:

Glee’s going on a hiatus because one of it’s main cast members died. I think it has a pretty good reason. Also, blame FOX. Glee doesn’t schedule itself.

• Cee says:

Fall baseball hiatus. Fox has aired the playoffs/series for quite a while, as any Simpsons fan can attest to (we used to get our Treehouse of Horror episode in NOVEMBER because of this. Boo!). It’s not anything new. And as others have mentioned, other shows and other networks do this too.

• dude says:

You do realize the show itself has no say in scheduling? That’s the network’s decision. Your just as bad as the people who yell at Emily VanCamp about Revenge’s scheduling like she has any say or power.

6. Rachel says:

Why are tweets news?

7. karenb says:

This whole thing is just terrible. RIP Cory. You are so missed.

8. mc says:

On a side note: Is Heather Morris gonna make it in time for the tribute, or is she showing/already due?

• O'Brien says:

Hemo is major preggers at this point. I don’t think she’ll be able to make it :(

• Sue B says:

I don’t think Heather is coming back for the Tribute. I’m not sure about Dianna (I really hope she does). It sounds like it will be handled gracefully, and that Lea had some say on how it was approached.

9. dexter says:

There are some intriguing points in time in this article but I dont determine if I see all of them center to heart. There exists some validity but I is going to take hold opinion until My spouse and i look into that further. Good article , thanks and now we want a lot more! Added to FeedBurner also