Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmy-Supporting-Actor-ComedyIs Modern Family‘s grip on the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series starting to slip?

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

After holding down four of the category’s six slots in 2011 and 2012 — and taking home the stauette for all three years it’s been on the air — the ABC comedy only has three men in the running for 2013: Jesse Tyler Ferguson (in the hunt for the fourth straight year); Ed O’Neill (celebrating his third nod, after getting snubbed in 2010); and 2011 winner Ty Burrell. Bumped from the race this year is their costar Eric Stonestreet — a winner in 2010 and 2012.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

OK, OK, so Modern Family is still responsible for 50 percent of the category. Then again, if Ferguson, O’Neill and Burrell split the vote, that could clear a path for one of their three opponents: Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader (up for the second straight year), and a pair of first-time nominees from HBO comedies — Veep‘s Tony Hale and Girls‘ Adam Driver.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Soso says:

Nick Offerman

2. Mark says:

Ed O’Neil REALLY, really deserves recognition for his role. He really shoula one 1st season (if I remember correctly he wasnt even nominated!) But I think it would be a shame if he isnt recognized at least once for his work on the show. It’s easy to overlook him for some of the flashier nominees but he really gives a funny, sweet, nuanced performance and deserves to be rewarded for it.

• Tom Charles says:

He’s been nominated every year it’s been eligible, this is the first year all of the adult males of the show have not been

• TomTom says:

Not true. He was snubbed the first season. ONly adult cast member not to get nominated. Look it up Tom before answering in such a matter-of-fact way. Fact check please!

• Matthew says:

The first year the rest of the cast encouraged him to submit himself in the lead actor category while they all submitted in the supporting categories, and he wasn’t nominated that year. He has been every other year since.

• TomTom says:

Ahh i see. forgot that detail but regardless, So then the original poster is correct. He wasnt nominated season 1.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Did he submit himself in lead that year? I could have sworn he submitted in supporting the first year, and that was the reason I always thought he didn’t get nominated was because they felt like he should have submitted himself in lead and was in the wrong category. I guess I don’t know positively, but that’s what I always thought happened. Not sure where to go to look for the answer to that.

3. KSM says:

Bill Hader should win for Stefon alone.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Bill Hader didn’t even submit an episode where he did Stefan. He submitted the Seth MacFarlane episode which is Stefan-less. But it does have that crazy puppet sketch where he’s the veteran with PTSD.

4. cjeffery7 says:

Tony Hale has been subtle and lovely things on Veep since the first episode of the first season. he plays off J L-D and his other co-stars SO WELL. during the 5k episode he could have gone way over the top with the physical comedy, but somehow managed to keep it flying under the radar.

5. Dr. Bombay says:

Out of this group I’d go with Bill Hader…but Nick Offerman getting overlooked again is a bummer…

6. Kyle says:

Nick Offerman and Chris Pratt should have two of those spots….but since they don’t, my vote is for Bill Hader.

• noa says:

and Aziz Ansari. basically the Modern Family dominance should have been P&R for the last 3 years.

• Dave says:

Absolutely. The supporting cast of Parks and Rec is far more deserving than the Modern Family actors.

• Justin says:

Ugh. I’m more sick of Parks’ fans than by critics’ adoration of Modern Family. At least MF presents serious work worthy of award recognition while P&R relies too heavily on its cuteness and its cult’s clamoration (enough of Little Sebastian, gloomy April, tough-guy Nick Offerman. Just enough. They were funny the first five-hundered times they presented their shtick. They’re not funny anymore. I don’t like Modern Family’s “step” joke and that clown, but at least they didn’t abuse them as much).

7. ncneto says:

Stefon!!!

8. Karen says:

Max Greenfield, New Girl. Still really mad about that one!!!

9. Daniel says:

Jesse Tyler Ferguson should win.

10. Ron says:

Maybe the unpopular opinion, but my pick is either JTF or Ed O’Neill, though, yeah, Nick Offerman deserves it, but we can’t do anything about that, so… Apologies to Bill Hader, but I can’t justify anyone from SNL winning anything this year when maybe one or two episodes were tolerable and the rest were horribly unfunny drivel. I always get a good laugh out of Stefon, but that one character isn’t enough for me to warrant a Hader win. I wouldn’t hate to see Tony Hale win. Admittedly I’ve never seen “Veep” so I can’t speak for him in that, but I’ve always considered it a crime that Tony was never nominated (and this year proved no different) for “Arrested Development.” I always thought he was in the top 3 of funniest characters on that show. So, if he wins I’m fine with it and will just pretend it was an AD win to satisfy my dissatisfaction.

11. AJ says:

I know he hasn’t been nominated in a few years, but NPH! How he will not take home an Emmy for his role on HIMYM is a crime (assuming he is snubbed again next year). I thought he had in in the bag a few years ago, he was the host, and he went in the audience to sit during the award for supporting actor, and instead JON CRYER WON! WHAT?!?!?!

12. Eric7740 says:

Ty Burrell makes the show!!! He deserves the award every year in my opinion!!!

13. Dave says:

How about Nick Offerman? Charlie Day? Damon Wayans Jr.? Oh they were all left out once again to make room for the less deserving Modern Family cast? Lame. Hopefully Bill Hader or Tony Hale gets it.

14. Whatever says:

Stephon !!!
    I want to see the acceptance speech.

15. Still not happy Nick Offerman wasn’t nominated again in the category but let’s hope next year could be his moment.

16. Superhero says:

Of the nominees, I’d go with Driver. But I’d be thrilled if anybody who isn’t from Modern Family won the award. Fat chance of that happening, but that’s what I’m hoping for.

17. Rjrtist says:

It’ll be some one from Modern Family.

18. Magali says:

Nick Offerman, Max Greenfield, Ike Barinholtz and Damon Wayans Jr are missing from this list. Anyway considering he left SNL this year and was incredible for so many seasons Bill Hader deserves this more than anyone. I don’t get the Emmys obsession with Modern Family.

19. Joey says:

Bill Hader.

20. Zach says:

It made me happy when I saw Adam Drivef was in last place. I really hate the show Girls.

Tony Hale has my vote.

21. Tom Charles says:

Of the ones that got nominated only Tony Hale and Bill Hader deserve it. Nick Offerman or Danny Pudi really do.

22. A says:

Anyone but Modern Family. So sick of them in every category. Should’ve been Nick Offerman or Simon Helberg or Kunal Nayyar or NPH or anyone else nominated

• GS says:

I totally like this like a million times! I’m so freaking sick of Modern Family getting so much recognition when it’s just not that good.

23. Jared says:

Adam Driver is great in GIRLS but his performance wasn’t very comedic at all.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I actually think his work in the episode I Get Ideas is hilarious with the scene of him singing to Hannah in the video (“It’s scary with the tools behind him…Does he kill himself at the end of this?”) and then then there’s that hysterical scene at the end where he stalks Hannah at her apartment and wears the bird mask and gets a little crazy when the police arrest him. It’s so funny. But he did not submit that episode, instead he went with It’s Back. He chose horribly on that one.

24. liz says:

One of these years I hope Simon Helberg gets a nomination for the awesome work he’s done for years on TBBT.

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

I just pretended Tony Hale submitted for Arrested Development and voted for him. He’s okay on Veep, but if I’m being honest with myself, I would probably not vote for him for Veep if I was an Emmy voter. I was watching Drunk History last night with him on it playing Meriwether Lewis and was laughing my butt off, particularly when Thomas Jefferson was flipping him off. I know that’s got nothing to do with the Emmys, but I just wanted to plug the show, lol. I sort of hope Jesse Tyler Ferguson wins because he was great in his submission where he beats Lilly’s playground bully at that handball game. Plus I think he is underrated on that show. But I feel pretty positive Ty Burrell is going to win again. Mistery Date is a pretty strong submission, and I know they really go for Burrell’s dumb but loveable schtick over Ferguson’s snark.

26. Philly In DC says:

No offense to Bill Hader, who is clearly a front runner, but he has a lot to work with. With the exception of Stefon, he has different characters each week. But the other actors have to work with one character, and do brilliant things with it.

I’ve always thought that SNL should not be eligible in the acting categories, unless they create a new category, somthing like “actor is a variety program” – where those who get to play different characters each week could get nominated.

27. anna says:

Just as long as it’s not someone from Modern Family.

28. Aprilcot says:

This category saddens me the most, because my dream six nominees wouldn’t even include any of these people (as I’m sure is the case with most of us commonfolk, non-Emmy voters). Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt, NPH, Max Greenfield, Danny Pudi…seriously. Now that my rant is over, my vote goes to Bill Hader. IMO he’s been the most consistent MVP of SNL. If it doesn’t go to him I wouldn’t mind seeing Tony Hale take home the statue. As long as it isn’t anyone from MF (again!) or Adam Driver. Girls is just painful to watch, and not in a good way.

29. Matthew says:

Still no Charlie Day. He put on such a great performance on this season of Sunny, too. Lame.

Also Nick Offerman should be nominated in every single category, not just this one.

30. flb1990 says:

I have a feeling that Bill will win. He’s been on SNL for 8 years and he’s only had 2 nominations. He should have started getting nominated years ago (or at least he should have received 1 for series 36 as that was one of his best seasons on the show).

31. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this
    web site’s posts every day along with a mug of coffee.

32. Mikael says:

Girls is NOT a comedy! There are some funny moments but for the most part the show is kind of depressing. Sex and the City was also considered a comedy, and it really wasn’t, but it had more humor than Girls. I vote for Veep.