Ratings: True Blood Down from Previous Finale

True Blood Season 6 Finale RatingsHBO’s True Blood on Sunday night wrapped its truncated, 10-episode Season 6 with a total audience of 4.1 million total viewers — up week-to-week yet down from both its season opener (which drew 4.5 mil) and its previous finale (5 mil).

RELATED | True Blood Season Finale Recap: ‘Survivor — Bon Temps’

Factoring in a replay, True Blood‘s season-ender — which scored an average grade of “C+” from TVLine readers (poll below) — amassed north of 5 million viewers for the night.

RELATED | Sunday Ratings: Whodunnit? Ends on a High Note, Crossing Lines Finale Hits Low

Season 7 of the vampire drama was ordered in mid-July.

1. Well, come on, Breaking Bad is on.

• Jessica says:

And Dexter!

• alistaircrane says:

Dexter, seriously? You’re using Dexter as an example? Season 8 has been dreadful. Also, True Blood is better than both Dexter and Breaking Bad. If you’re not watching True Blood live, something is wrong with you.

• Kris says:

lol you can not be serious. true blood is a guilty pleasure at best, not a good show like breaking bad or dexter.

• alistaircrane says:

There’s nothing “guilty” about True Blood. It’s all pleasure, and far superior in quality to Dexter or Breaking Bad.

• If holding both Breaking Bad and Dexter above True Blood is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.

• alistaircrane says:

Sadly you lack good taste.

• Sorry, mein fuhror, I live in America where people are allowed to have their own taste. But you’re kind of alone there thinking you have better taste if True Blood is your barometer of quality.

• Paul says:

And I think you, among others, need to sit back, relax, and enjoy True Blood for what it is and quit trying to micro-critique every show on TV.

• I try, Paul. And sometimes I do. It’s just not very good. I wish it was. I wish it was praiseworthy, at least to the level that it used to be. I still don’t know why Sookie is mad at Bill after the whole “I forgive you” speech in season 4 and trying to save him at the end of the season 5. It hasn’t been since season 4 where not more than any two characters are friends with each other at a given time. The characters are obtusely at odds at each other despite common goals (like saving Tara, Jessica and Eric, for example) in what seems to be a forced attempt to keep the annoying separate stories thing going on. And so we get stuck with boring, obnoxious D-plotlines that don’t amount to much, like the smoke monster last season and Alcide’s stupid wolf pack this season. They need to put the characters in the same room for longer than a couple minutes. And that’s the extent of my critique I wish to share now.
            This alistaircrane person is hilarious, though. It’s this Monty Python debate level, sniping at everyone, as if there was an actual basis to compare True Blood to Breaking Bad. Maybe Breaking Bad doesn’t have hyperspeed thrusting vampire sex or Anna Paquin’s boobs, but at least the characters are always true to themselves and the moment.

• Mike says:

Oh please True blood is so damn bad,reminds me of an adult version of twilight…Dexter went sour after the trinity killer season,but the series is still really good.Breaking bad is nothing but awesome no one liked the last episode ”walt dies” but it was fitting for the series.

2. tvaddict says:

At this point they need to wrap it up next season or just have next season and a brief season 8. I still like the show but I am nowhere in love with it the way I was back around season 1 and 2

• alistaircrane says:

No thank you. If you don’t like it, stop watching. If the show ended, the millions of fans who still love it wouldn’t have anything to watch. It’s very selfish of you to wish cancellation on what is many people’s favourite show.

3. DarkDefender says:

The penultimate episode was better and the season finale seemed like something they tacked on for the sole purpose of setting up what looks to be a bizarre and failed season 7. The time jump was awful (a Jason dream?) and the “death” of Eric regardless of the full frontal Skarsgard, didn’t make it an easier to watch.

4. Jill says:

I wonder if the season only being 10 episodes had anything to do with it. I didn’t realize it until about an hour before it aired.

5. alistaircrane says:

I thought the finale was exceptional! Season 6 was pretty damn good after the ultimate letdown of Season 5. I am glad the Warlow story ended the way it did. Warlow was a loose end the new producers inherited from Alan Ball. He was the weakest part of the season. The time jump was quite good. I am happy that Sookie is with Alcide for now even though she ultimately belongs with Bill. I like that next season will focus more on Bon Temps and vampires again. As for Eric, I didn’t mind him this season. The more he is away from Sookie, the more I like him. I don’t really care one way or another if he comes back, though. I am extremely looking forward to Season 7!

6. Kira says:

I’m so over Sookie and Bill!!!! They have beat that horse to death but we all know precious Bill always ends up on top *rolls eyes* Andy has really grown on me. Hope he has something good happen to him next season. He deserves it. Warlow was a huge let down. They neuter him for most of the season then when it’s convenient turn him bad again. Glad he’s gone. Can’t believe the finale had one scene with Eric!!! Best part if the show was sidelined for…well I have no idea why. Hopefully he has some bada** stuff happening next season. If it wasn’t for him I would have quit watching 2 seasons ago.

7. TobyG. says:

The whole Warlow thing sucked from start to finish. I’m glad it’s done, although I’d have liked a more satisfying ending to him. I absolutely hate what they did to Sookie this season. It was like she had a total personality transplant. I like her with Alcide and since they didn’t hook up (really) in the books, I hope to see this relationship explored more fully on the show. There’s no way Eric met his demise. I’m sure Pam had a hand in his salvation from the sun. The whole vampire-human protection-for-healthy feeding arrangement is ridiculous. I hope there’s at least an interesting ulterior motive there. I suspect Lettie Mae may have poisoned Tara and if so, GREAT! I haven’t been able to stand Tara for many seasons now. Willa can go too. She served her purpose, now let’s be rid of her. I hope someone also stakes Violet too. Also, a very unsatisfying end to Steve Newlin, although I’m glad they spared the wife. She was a surprisingly worthy adversary. I hope they bring her back to fight another day … and then die, of course.

8. Aprilcot says:

I thought this season as a whole was spectacular…until the finale. Warlow is suddenly bad again? He’s 5,000 years old, why was he so easy to kill? Eric goes up in flames? Lame. Of course they aren’t going to kill off the viking. Not looking forward to the predictable Sookie/Bill/Alcide love triangle. I was hoping with the time jump that Nicole and Violet would vanish. Violet is annoying and as much as I love Jurnee Smollett, Nicole sucks. And now Sam is the mayor?! WTF? I mean, I’m glad to see that Arlene is doing well for herself as a small business owner now, but really? Maybe they’ll bring back Anna Camp next year…

9. Yanez says:

Alan Ball turned the series into a mess and now Buckner is catching flack for trying to clean it up ( dropping the overage of story lines) in 7 episodes (remember he wasn’t the show runner for the first 3 episodes.) He tells us exactly what he is trying to do to the series (listening to viewers by dropping story lines and focusing on the town of Bon Temps.) If Season 7 is a failure, then jump down his back.

10. Asa Battista says:

What a letdown. Sookie proved she wasn’t worth her weight in salt. I hope the zombie hep v vampires eat her. Freakin zombie vamps. Her and Warlo(?) could have taken the season 7 theme into the different fey realms instead of the current flood of zombie themed movies. I know zombies and vampires what’s the difference? A lot to me.

11. MM says:

HBO should be criticized, True Blood is their show and it has gone off the rails. But True Blood is only one show and HBO make plenty of good stuff which they receive deserved praise for. Pity True Blood is no longer in the praiseworthy category.