Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: New Girl Cast, Creator Talk Nick and Jess in Season 3 (Who Wants Them to Break Up?)

Will New Girl‘s Nick and Jess remain a couple in Season 3 (that is, if they even are one now)?

That’s the question at hand in this exclusive, behind-the-scenes featurette from the Fox comedy. Cast members Lamorne Morris, Max Greenfield and Jake Johnson kick in their two cents — as do executive producer/creator Liz Meriwether and EPs Dave Finkel and Brett Baer — on whether the pair will ever do more than have smokin’ hot make-out sessions… not that we’re complaining.

RELATEDNew Girl Exclusive: Apartment 23‘s Dreama Walker to Play the B—- in Jess’ New School

“I’m pretty sure they’re gonna really mess it up in some way, but I don’t know exactly how,” Meriwether says. (Yeah, sounds about right.)

New Girl‘s third season bows Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 9:30/8:30c.

Press PLAY on the video below to see the cast and crew predict what will happen to Ms. Day and Mr. Miller this season, then hit the comments: Are Jess and Nick destined for happiness or are they about to start a nervous moonwalk out of each other’s lives?

Tags: ,

Comments (43)

• Jess is quite possibly the most annoying sitcom character going on TV right now. Gotta believe this is the final season for New Girl, which is fine.

Comment by Brian – August 20, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, why did you even read this article…you’re clearly not a fan of the show! BTW this will NOT be the last season – hide and watch buddy!

Comment by Belle – August 20, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was hoping it was news about the character of Jess being re-cast.

Comment by Brian – August 20, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you don’t like Jess in the first place then why would you bother coming here even if it was about her being recast? It would still basically be the same character.

Comment by Laura – August 20, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You tell’emm !!! Lets hope season 4

Comment by Lacy – August 20, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA she makes the show interesting if she annoys you why watch it and post negativity here, I probably wouldn’t watch it if she wasn’t on it….

Comment by Kimm N. Sloan – August 26, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New Girl really grew on me and not because of Zooey but because of Jake and the guys. They are hilarious. Add Merrit Weaver to the mix as Elizabeth and its comic gold. I’m really loving Jess and Nick together and hope we get to see them together for awhile before they mess it up.

Comment by Liza180 – August 20, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would like to see Nick &! Jess make it work together. There’s always been a deep sense of caring for one another between them. It would be nice to have them learn how to be in a grown up relationship together on the show, knowing that their love/hate is the glue that keeps them connected! It would be fun and different from all the other sitcoms that make the couples ride a roller coaster all season. Lets commit New Girl!

Comment by Diane cannon – August 20, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what a stupid comment, there are lots of channels.. watch what you like and leave the other shows alone…

Comment by Andrew Villas – August 20, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it a little odd that you only bold the talent. I mean, I get why. They’re the face of everything, but they’re not everything for the biz.

Comment by brycealexander – August 20, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really do hope they stay together as I think they are really funny together and also really interesting. There are a lot of potential storylines for them as a couple, such as if they move into each other’s rooms, how their friends feel about them together, deciding if they want to move out, etc. Having Nick run away scared would just be annoying as its already happened and it would be nice for once, to see the main couple still be together.

Comment by F.L – August 20, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK GOD!! I thought I was the only one who actually wants to see a happy ending on sitcoms!

Comment by Chandler – August 20, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i have wanted them as a couple from the first episode and i am so happy they are kinda together. i think they will be an on again off again thing, which i dont mind, because i love the tension they have.

Comment by felicity – August 20, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they broke the TV rules by getting them together in S2 and didn’t go for the obvious path of every TV couple (seasons and seasons of long looks, sexual tension), I think they should do the same and make them a real couple and not make them broke up because that’s what TV couples do.
    Also, there’re a lot of possibilites for them as a couple, breaking them up would be the obvious choice. Keeping them together would be the smart one.

Comment by Luz – August 20, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the idea of Nick moving into her room, cause that makes a room available for Coach to move into the apartment now that DW is not busy with Happy Endings.

Comment by Cassandra – August 20, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want them to break up. They are perfect for each other

Comment by Emily – August 20, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Liz, please don’t take a page from the Hart Hanson rulebook on how to run a TV show. Hopefully this sister will get and keep her leading man. (i’ve only seen season 1 on netflix recently, but really liked it and will watch season 2 and hopefully in time for season 3 to start live).

Comment by David – August 20, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hart Hanson rulebook=9 seasons and counting.

Nick and Jess will break up because that creates drama and TV viewers love drama…and that brings the ratings.

Comment by Kwapple – August 20, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would come back to the show if they broke up.

Comment by ErixN – August 20, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then again, a lop of people might leave the show if they break up

Comment by F.L – August 20, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if they don’t fully split, but decide to take a break? Then one of them can have a fling while in this gray area and it will haunt them for years!

I say, just keep them together. Dating, marriage, babies, careers… there is plenty of material there without doing the standard sitcom romance drama. They’re two crazy people in love, so it isn’t like they’re going to run out of stories to tell.

And Nick should totally sell his story to Syfy!

Comment by Drew – August 20, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Much as there are obvious parallels between Nick and Jess and Ross and Rachel (opposites attracting, friends to more, etc), using the “we were on a break” angle got overdone by Ross and Rachel themselves. I hope the show comes up with something different.

Comment by Abby – August 20, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was the joke.

Comment by Anon – September 14, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I much prefer Jess with Sam. Nick is a giant loser. I wish the show would just let Nick be the loveable loser instead of pairing him with Jess.

Comment by Michelle – August 20, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really didn’t like Jess and Sam together and it always looked weird to me when they kissed. I know Nick’s portrayed as this loser, but Jess is kinda is two which makes them so funny and is part of the reason I like them together.

Comment by aquarius – August 20, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely want them to break up – temporarily. Only temporarily. Nick has to figure his life out, first. He’s too unhappy with himself for a happy ever after yet.

Comment by Abby – August 20, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Nick & Jess together. Why must this so-called formula insist that once a couple gets together, it’s over?! Poppycock! All kinds of funny stories can happen with this couple. I’ll admit that Jess got on my nerves a little bit in season one, but she is so much better now. Jake and the guys are awesome and I can’t wait for season three!

Comment by Dana – August 20, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect show is perfect. Keep them together!

I would be blown away if three of my most enjoyable shows, New Girl, Raising Hope and Castle, all had couples that were together at the same time. It would be unprecedented in my tv viewing history. ;)

Comment by Lisa – August 20, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, even if they do break up and/or get back together, why do we always have to start this conversation the second they decide to give being together a shot. I mean, we haven’t even seen them as a couple yet. Can’t we just enjoy the moment for a little while?

Comment by Lecholls – August 20, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep them together! Was an agonizing journey of will they or won’t they and I would definitely love to see a couple make it through with other problems like getting married, or having kids, or something they would make a very funny parent combo. We are already seeing the back in forth with Cece and Schmidt so, I would love this relationship not to be on and off. I love the show and am begging please keep them together!!

Comment by Hannah – August 20, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want for Nick and Jess to STAY together. Liz is an original writer in that she got Nick and Jess together in season 2 and ignored the typical “let’s drag this out for years” motto that most shows do. So I hope she’ll continue to be original and just let Nick and Jess be a funny and unique couple that will get into messy/funny situations together! It’s the norm for a pairing to break up, so let’s see something NEW and see Nick/Jess actually stay together and be an original couple!!!

Chandler/Monica stayed together till the end of the show. Why can’t Nick/Jess do the same thing?

Comment by Amy – August 20, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. No. Don’t break them up! I’m fine with them having some speed bumps along the way but why mess with a good thing? They are epic together. I was thrilled when they stopped the teasing. It made for such a refreshing change rather than all this will they won’t they crap.

Comment by Liz – August 20, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be like an Elliot and JD situation. Where they somehow get together every year until they end up together.

Comment by Kat – August 20, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be a JD and Elliot situation where they try it multiple times until it finally works.

Comment by Kat – August 20, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Zooey and i love Nick and Jess as a couple.When they are together everything is more funny and beautiful,I’m sure they will break up at some point :( but they are made for each other

Comment by Steven – August 20, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are so great together! I definitely don’t want them to break up! Noooooo!!! Noooo! Noooooo!!!

Comment by Emily – August 20, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick & Jess are DEFINITELY destined to be together! They’ve had such chemistry from the start, and even before they truly realized their feelings for each other, they had spark and really cared about each other! I definitely think that means something. The finally just got together, they definitely shouldn’t be broken up!

Comment by Abarna – August 20, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOO:( I dot want them to break up
    Too soon. They JUST got together at the end of the season please
    They can work it out

Comment by Genan – August 20, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please let them stay together! Like other people have said, there are tons of good plot lines with them as a couple.I knew from episode one that they were supposed to be together and it made my entire day when they finally kissed, so please keep them together! It’s even okay if they have lots of problems, I just hope they keep it together in the long run.

Comment by Katie – August 20, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tend to agree with the old “rule” that once you break the tension, the show loses it’s charisma. I think that the show is better when we are left WANTING them to be together. I think of all the wonderful “crumbs” we were given on the way and I will miss that if they suddenly are true “roomies”. Like Nick telling Jess she is the kind of girl a guy comes back for…(sigh!) or Jess drooling over Nick in the hardware store (hilarious).

Fortunately, the chemistry of ALL of the characters makes the show worth watching- it doesn’t need to all hinge on Jess & Nick. Here is what I think though (after staying up until four AM watching all of season two on Amazon Prime.Yep- hooked! )- I think that they are clearly written to end up together and have been from episode one, but they are both still figuring things out- Nick especially. His character isn’t going to be “fixed” by loving Jess. He needs to get a good job and confidence and grow up a little. I think all of the sad back story with his father last season sets him up nicely for his own journey towards healing and finding his path. Jessica has hers- she loves teaching kids. She is pretty comfortable with who she is- quirks and all. Nick isn’t- he admits to borderline hating himself.

I would like to see this happen- they try the couple thing, but Nick can’t get over himself and feels like a loser because of Jess’s success vs. his failures, he isn’t good enough, etc.. He sabotages the relationship by drinking too much and maybe not ACTUALLY cheating- but ending up in a compromising situation that Jess misunderstands. He tries to come back again but this time Jess says no. I almost think at this point he has to move out…Maybe that is a good vehicle for Coach- Nick moves in with him and though the chemistry of the loft is interrupted- it gets Nick out of his rut and he can go to AA and pursue a career. I see him either going back to law school, getting a job writing for a show or website, or saving up and investing in the bar and buying it himself. Either way- it won’t work until he “proves” himself.

In the mean time- Jess will probably start dating someone new and very successful then you have a new obstacle. You have to have that obstacle- if Nick and Jess get married and live happily ever after the show is over. But I do hope it ends that way- and I also hope the writers respect their amazing product by not letting it drag on until the characters are old, dull and the story line played out for too long- like on Friends. The writers were very wise to bring Nick & Jess together and give us a taste of their relationship early- it shows us what we are looking forward to or what we are missing when they ARE NOT together. I don’t want it to drag on like Ross & Rachel- but I think Nick & Jess have a lot more chemistry and the writers know they have to give us “crumbs” along their path to “happily ever after”.

Comment by Brooke – August 21, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In following up to my last comment- I also think that Jess is written to ultimately be an “old fashioned” gal at heart. She makes some really hilarious comments to that effect- one I recall where she said she had “turn of the century” plumbing or some such nonsense that was disgusting and funny at the same time. Because of this- SHE won’t be happy with being an occasional fling or casual relationship with Nick. She needs the full treatment- the ring, the flowers, the knight in shining armor. I look forward to seeing how the show progresses. One of the best on TV right now, by far!

Comment by Brooke – August 21, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone else ever noticed that they never interview Zooey Deschanel for these bits? I wonder if they are afraid that her real personality will “ruin” the character of Jess for us because she might not be as cutesy as we’re used to seeing her? I mean, I have no idea what Zooey Deschanel’s personality is like (I’m sure it is wonderful), but I have definitely noticed that they seem to always be interviewing the male actors, only, and she’s hardly ever getting interviewed.

Comment by MurphysLaw215 – August 21, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikc nd Jess <3
    Nice couple and a great point in that sitcom.
    Maybe the will break up, but together are funniest and they are epic.

Comment by KF – August 21, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post