Rizzoli & Isles Dedicates Episode to Cast Member Lee Thompson Young

In its first outing since Lee Thompson Young was tragically found dead, TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles remembered its cast member with an end-of-episode tribute.

RELATED | How 22 TV Shows Handled a Cast Member’s Death

At the close of this Tuesday night’s episode, the procedural displayed a title card dedicating the hour “In Loving Memory of Lee Thompson Young 1984-2013.”

That was followed by two brief, silent clips of the 29-year-old actor’s work as Detective Barry Frost, whom he had played since the series’ pilot.
Rizzoli_Remembers_ThompsonYoung_2

Rizzoli_Remembers_ThompsonYoung_1

Young was found in his North Hollywood apartment on Monday morning, having died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. In a statement to TMZ, his publicist confirmed, “It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life,” adding: “Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed.”

1. kate says:

it was a nice touch. really bummed about his passing. thoughts & love for his family and friends.

• mareesa says:

nicely put. totally agree.

• Rebecca says:

I just started watching this show over the weekend. Loved his character, and of course the famous Jett Jackson! So sad.

• Frank says:

It is a shame that no one noticed Lee’s depression before his suicide. Rizzoli & Isles is quite realistic with relation to the Precinct area. A nice tribute would be to give a police burial along with The Emerald Society Piper and 21 salute. Rest easy Lee; you will be missed.
      Dep. Insp. Ret.

• tj pen says:

Sometimes depression is not even noticed by the person who has it. Which is why some many with depression do not seek help. No two people have the same symptoms. The myth is that a person will look sad. But that is not always the case when a person is in public or around others. The extreme sadness normally takes over when that person is along. It is not as easy as some will say to recognize the signs that someone is depressed. I wish it was, but the fact is, that it is not always something that is noticeable.

• tj pen says:

Frank, I agree with your comment about the salute. The above mention tribute show was completed before his death. Maybe they will do a police burial in a future show. That would be nice.

• debora says:

Oh, they know it, but will not and can not face it, for fear of their lives changing forever and people rejecting them out of their lives.

• Jordan O'Neil says:

I find your comment reckless Debora. How can you say something like that, that EVERYONE WHO COMMITS SUICIDE KNOWS? Some suicides are an impulsive act, not planned out. Why can I say this? I can say this because it happened to me. It happened 3 yrs ago, on my birthday. Not one person, friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, NO ONE called, sent an email, text message, card, letter, not ONE THING TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY BIRTHDAY. It made me very depressed & I suddenly felt like no one cared about me or cared if I was here or not. I attempted to hang myself. A friend stopped by unexpectedly & cut me down & gave me mouth to mouth. Another 5 minutes & I would have had a brain injury. After that happened I realized it was selfish to do it, thankful my friend found me in time, & realized it wasn’t my time to go. I’ve been given a second chance & I know that I had God on my side. I asked God for forgiveness, I had to forgive myself & realized that I’m never alone as long as I have God in my life. Family & friends still don’t talk to me but sometimes your bio family isn’t the only one you have. You can surround yourself with people who care & love me & that’s what I focus on. People can say mean & hateful things about me, bully me, whatever, but if this helps save one person then I’ve paid it forward & I’m grateful God is in my life & grateful for the people in my life today. If they don’t want to be a part of my life that’s on them. Life is worth living but in that moment of loniness & pain I thought that was my only option. Now it’s never an option. If you haven’t walked in someone’s shoes no one knows that feeling of pain & isolation. Like I said I didn’t plan it, it was just spontaneous . That’s what happened to me, everyone is different. You can’t lump everyone together. I wish Lee would have reached out, he was obviously in pain but he hid it well. RIP LEE, U R MISSED. HOPE U HAVE PEACE.

• Anna says:

I notices they said he “was on vacation” I sure do hope that they mention something about him dying, maybe on vacation” He was Jane’s partner for crying out loud. They should do something, and yes it was shocking to see him on the first few episodes. They should give him a great closing, maybe car accident while on vacation?

• Stormy says:

Why does he have to die? Why can’t he decide to stay with his girlfriend? The man playing the role passed tragically, but the character can still have his happily ever after.

• Heather says:

With all due respect, as sad as it is (and it is indeed, very tragic) that this young man felt he had no other option than to take his own life, he was, after all, an actor portraying a member of the Boston Police Force, not an actual cop. It is ridiculous to suggest that he be given a “police” burial ceremony. Should Cate Blanchett be given a royal internment because she portrayed Elizabeth I onscreen? Probably not.

• Mikee says:

Great Idea!!!

• torinoluvr58 says:

Maybe do an episode where they hunt his “killer” ? With lots of flashbacks?

• CAROL GRILLS says:

WHY WOULD YOU START YOUR NEW SHOW.2014 WITH LEE THOMPSON YOUNG.MAYBE YOU THOUGHT PEOPLE FORGOT ABOUT HIM. OMG I HOPE YOU DO NOT CONTINUE DOING THIS HEARTLESS THING.OR YOU DIDN’T WANT TOO WASTE YOUR TAPING.

• Lynda says:

I agree. When I started watching this show last night I thought that I had been mistaken about reading of his death. I thought maybe it was another actor that had died. It bothered me so I looked it up online today and saw that it was him. It was so sad when I originally found out and it only made me sadder when I again realized it was true. I really enjoyed his performances and thought that he sometimes “made” the show more interesting.

• Michelle says:

Why wouldn’t they show these episodes?They are his final work. He will be in 2 more episodes, and then the finale, which they had to write him out of. I am sure TPTB did not think we forgot about him. In no way is it heartless.

• Jordan O'Neil says:

I am watching the March 11, 2014 episode right now. Lee is still on the show which I’m happy about. Does anyone know when his last episode is, and how they will say goodbye to Det. Frost/ Lee Thompson Young? What a talented guy. He would have turned 30 on 2-1-2014, 2 yrs older than me. He’s a great actor & I love the entire cast of Rizzoli & Ilses. He will be greatly missed. I think the idea of giving him a “Det’s funeral ” isn’t a stupid one just because he only plays a Det. On TV. I think it would be a fitting goodbye for his character. I guess it all depends on how the writers end his character’s life on the show. I’m thinking something connected to playing a Detective & maybe killed in the line of duty? They need to do something nice to honor his character & Lee as an actor as well. Just wanted to know how many more episodes he’s still going to be seen this year-2014?

• larry says:

It was indeed sad to hear about his suicide. I think maybe they could show his character at a funeral and graveside service with the other characters showing their grief. Having his character being would indeed be somewhat insensitive. They could probably have his character killed in a car crash in a police chase or something else.

• Lisa from the Deep South says:

Rest in the Eternal Peace that apparently eluded on Earth. Say hello to Dad who also took his life. PLEASE HUG Daddy for me. You were a GREAT addition to Rizzoli & Isles. I shall IMMENSELY MISS your cute smile & GREAT quips! ALL my BEST to your family, friends, & cast mates who LOST YOU WAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOON!

• Len Lovel says:

I think the detective will be written off the show by going after his girl friend that has a new job out of the country… A very plausible story line based on his gentle character.

• Gail says:

I agree – that would be an acceptable manner of losing his character since he obviously felt upset about her leaving for a job opportunity and it would be something that his “gentle character” would do.

2. Babygate says:

I would have expected nothing less, but I have to admit I was looking for this to be done before the episode started and not after. I still can’t believe it. First Corey Montieth and now Lee. We are losing these kids before they’ve had the opportunity to fully realize their potential… It’s truly heartbreaking.

• Carm says:

I thought it would come before the episode too, but when it didn’t I knew it would be dedicated to him at the end. I was a little sad watching it tonight. I hope he is resting in peace.

• Isn’t it usually a TV convention to have it happen at the end of the episode? Short of truly exceptional events like The West Wing’s 9/11 and John Spencer commentaries I don’t remember anyone doing it in the opening.

• Meredith says:

The West Wing definitely did it at the beginning of the episode. Martin Sheen came out as hismelf on set and acknowledged the death, saying this: “Good evening. On December 16 we lost our good friend and colleague John Spencer. Through our shock and grief, we can think of no more fitting memorial to this wonderful man, this extraordinary actor, than to share with you, beginning tonight, the last few months of his work here on The West Wing. Johnny, it seems we hardly knew you, we love you and we miss you.”

It was really sweet and seemingly very heartfelt, but I do think The West Wing handled it differently than other shows do/did. It’s the only time I remember seeing anything like that at the top of an episode.

• Meredith says:

I realize you already knew this, Russell Burlingame. I was just expanding for other people who might have been interested.

3. Steven says:

Maybe have Barry shot in the line of duty and the other cops hunting who did it while mourning. Would probably be the best way to go about it.

• Andrea says:

I was thinking that would be the best way to handle the situation and it would bring the emotional impact to the characters that I’m sure the actors are feeling now.

• Nick C says:

someone who shoots himself in real life then you think it’s a good idea to have him shot and killed on the show? I have no clue the right way to go about this but that seems like a bad idea. He was great on Flashforward but when i heard the sad news all I could think about was his character on that show took his own life as well…
      anyway you cut this it’s just very sad.

• J says:

I had that same thought…I even remember that being one of the more compelling storylines of that show. Strange how prescient it was.

• John Moshier says:

Just say he was trasfered to another offices and then later they could say he was killed after awhile then they could all sit around and have fond memerys of him

• Tonge says:

I think it would be in poor taste to have his death revisited again on the show out of respect for his family. focus on the issue of depression with one of the cast members and provide solutions in dealing with it. Dedicate episode to him.

• Misty says:

I remember when actor Stanley Kamel died of a heart attack. He played Adrian Monk’s therapist on “Monk.” When the show returned, Monk (Tony Shaloub) was trying to come to grips with the fact that his character’s therapist had died of a heart attack. It was very well done and touching and gave both the actors and the audience a chance to grieve over what really happened. It was one of the best done episodes.

• anon123 says:

I thought an arsonist would burn his apartment, and have Det. Berry die. But I still can’t believe he is dead. :'(

• kathy says:

Are you serious ? To have him shot. when he shot himself? That is totally insensitive. Have him leave for serious family problems or something along those lines. No violence or guns involved.. .

• Kimberly says:

Maybe they could write him off as him following the love of his life the coffee chic Nedra . The season premier she was torn about leaving for a dream job. Maybe he can just peacefully go with her.

• Kat Black says:

I like this idea the best so far. I do think they need to do it where he does just not show up to work and they act like nothing happened. I am going to miss him. I am watching tonight hoping to see how they will work it in. I am hoping I have not missed it. Never know when it is going to start back up.

4. Eric R says:

Its Truly Sad That He Is Gone. Growing Up I Was Use To Seeing Him Do His Thing In Disney Channel’s “Jett Jackson” and Now It Will Never Be The Same. Lee May You Rest In Peace 1984-2013

5. Pamela says:

Such a sad thing to happen, I will miss his character. Rest in peace Lee.

6. Greg says:

Sad to see such a talented actor go out in such tragedy. My thoughts, prayers, and love to his family and his Rizzoli & Isles family as well. I know you guys will do your best to honor him in the show. Tonight’s memorial was a great start.

7. tp says:

Still can’t believe it. So sad.

8. Jay says:

Gonna Miss him. I grew up watching The Famous Jett Jackson, Saw him in Flash Forward, and Fell in love with his personality in Rizzoli and Isles. 6 years older than me, and He dies just days after my birthday. I have no idea how to explain the end of the character of Barry Frost, but I do hope that they will do it tastefully and with respect.
    <3 Lee Thompson Young.

9. Robin Effler says:

I don’t know how they should do away with his caractor but they done a Great Job tonight after the show.my prayers are with his family and all of the actors that he has played with over the years.

10. TVDIVA says:

My heart is still breaking over this sad news. I hope R&I does an episode devoted to suicide and how people can get help. But more than that, I hope his family, friends and co-workers find comfort in remembering what a wonderful kind soul he was.

11. Xander Andrews says:

I think the best way to write out his character would be to have him die in the line of duty (probably not by gunshot) but in the process of saving someone’s life.

12. Pat says:

What a tragedy for his family and friends, for this 29 year old man to have taken his life. I will miss his character on Rizzoli & Isles. Unfortunately, his family is left with sorrow and broken hearts. My thoughts and prayers go out to them and for Lee, May He Rest In Peace.

13. Michelle says:

It should be as shocking and unexplainable as his real death. This kind of mourning is insidious as there are so many questions and sometimes guilt for those left behind. It is hard to make peace with it.

14. drhenning says:

It’s always odd to see an actor’s work after a tragedy like this.. I figured they would do something at the end… I’m not sure it’s in such good taste to kill off the character off-screen.. Frost will probably get another job and leave town…

15. Uzi says:

I’ll miss Frost and his “weak stomach” at crime scenes and autopsies. It was eerie watching last night’s episode, and I got a little emotional when the dedication was shown at the end. R.I.P. Lee…

16. jj michaels says:

I guess no one wants to touch on the fact that he did an incredibly selfish and hurtful thing. He damaged all the people around him that cared about him and probably tried to help at some point. Family, friends, co workers. They are the ones that should get a dedication. People on the edge hear about how great someone was, and how much they’ll be missed, and they figure if they pull the plug, they’ll get that adoration too. How about coming out and saying what a jerk someone was for being so selfish. Stop giving suicides backside adoration. Show a little anger instead. It may dissuade others from pulling their plugs before they’ve even experienced life.

• Tessa says:

I understand the point of view but calling someone a jerk for ending there own life is not a nice thing to do.
      Many people who commit suicide have or have had issues, and yes most times (if not in all cases) the people around the person have at one point or another tried to help.
      But still, with everything in life, if someone doesn’t want outside help then the only thing you can do is stand back and wait. I think the whole cast is more in shock then angry. At the end of the day it was HIS life.
      And I don’t think that showing anger towards someone who is even thinking about doing something like this is not a way to go. Anger mostly works the wrong way, you can only try and give people the help and support they are desperatly trying to find.

• Truly an idiotic, thoughtless and hurtful remark. I suppose he should have asked your permission to commit suicide. Of course others are hurt by his act but he must have been in great pain himself do have done what he did.

• Alice says:

Reposting this from below: “Nobody is going to refrain from committing suicide because they see people around them treat suicidal people with contempt, derision, and hate. If anything, that will make people withdraw more and make it more likely that they avoid reaching out for the support and help that could make a difference at the end of the day. I beg compassionate and thoughtful readers not to respond to this troll any further. If you feed them, they come back for more. Starve it out instead.”

• Charlie says:

Well Tessa,

Half the world has “hard issues” to deal with. Soldiers forced to kill the enemy “face to face”, people who have lost loved ones in horrific accidents or storms, a lone survivor in a group that died in a flood or fire. People react to senseless deaths like Mr. Young’s by calling them jerks or idiots b/c they don’t see the sense in a useless death. Suicide is not an act that a personal act – one that a person can do just because they want to. It is a group event. That one death affects the person who finds them, who has to clean up the mess left by the dead person, the person who has to tell that persons’ family, etc. No, Tessa, at the end of the day it wasn’t just His life. Have you ever tried to talk someone out of jumping off and freeway overpass? Or tried to stop someone from trying to shoot themselves? Or trying to overdose on pills? I would think not based on the position you take b/c if you had you would not be defending the suicidal person. The suicidal person, willing to take their own life, is willing to take someone else’s to accomplish their act. Do you want to go with them? Anger mostly works in the helps favor. It surprises the person who is attempting to commit suicide, keeps them off balance. Once you have them in your grasp, unless they have a knife or gun, then the support can start.

• LC says:

You are absolutely right, and the best way to handle the series would be to have each remaining character react as they have in real life to the loss of their friend and co-worker. Reflect the stages of grief and anger and acceptance; but also have them come up with a constructive solution to help prevent other suicides within their department. This needs to be carried over into future episodes to be realistic, with a special service message at the end of each for those who need help in dealing with and avoiding suicide.

• Pumpkinbabies says:

You don’t even know the guy, moron. You don’t know what the hell he has been through. So shut up

• Jinq2 says:

I can see how those left behind see suicide as selfish and hurtful. It must be devastating to feel like your friendship/love were not “enough” to keep someone here, and to feel like they just didn’t care about the devastation they would leave behind. Some suicide *attempts* are cries for help, attention and love; however, nobody commits suicide hoping to get adoration after they’re dead. To actually take your own life means you have completely lost hope. It means you are in such a dark place, you can no longer see any light or any way to go on; you only want the pain to end. Mental illness such as severe depression and bipolar disorder, among others, can intensify these feelings way past what those who have never suffered from a mental illness can understand. My heart goes out to this talented, successful and handsome young man ~ you would’ve thought he had everything to live for, but you never really know another person’s demons. And to his family, friends and co-workers as well.

• jalahyacinth says:

You’re right- Suicide is THE most selfish thing you can do. But take it from someone who’s been suicidal- sometimes you can’t help it. It’s only thanks to super good friends who know me very well that I’m still here. If you don’t feel like you have anyone to reach out to, then it’s easy to take your own life. Don’t knock down the realities of depression until you’ve experienced it yourself. My heart breaks for his family and friends and I hope they know this isn’t their faults. RIP Lee.

• Lyn says:

Good points. It can be horrible for those who are left behind and who never would have considered suicide. But the person who is depressed may honestly feel that suicide is the best way to deal with problems that look endless and sadness that seems bottomless. Fortunate indeed when there are friends to step in and help..

• kate says:

this whole comment reflects on how completely misunderstood mental illness is our society. nobody of sound mind commits suicide because they want to be adored after they’re dead, numb nuts.

• Meredith says:

• Suzanne Jaeb says:

If you have not dealt with depression then you do not have the right to pass judgement on another person who was in so much pain that they were unable to find another way out. I’m pretty sure that anyone dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts does not think “oh hey this will be great, if I kill myself everyone will look at me with adoration” Mostly they wonder how they are going to get out of bed and thru the day. I am sorry to say this but you have no idea what you are talking about and I hope that if you ever have a friend that is dealing with serious depression that they don’t go to you for advice because your attitude will only make the person sadder and maybe even more on the edge.

• Suzanne says:

• Vicki says:

I do believe that in the GOOD book, it says that we are never to pass judgement on anyone. I do think that he was a realy great actor. HOWEVER, not one person knowes what was on his mind that sad night. He will be missed!

17. Tessa says:

I read somewhere that he suffered from depresion for some time. Would be something to continue with that storyline (thinking about an episode that was done on Suddenly Susan back in the 90’s).
    It could be an oppertunity to help some people.
    Anyway they handle it is sad.
    I at least hope he found his peace and may his co-workers find the strength to cary on without him.

18. MLO says:

Why not recast? It has been done before…

• iammusic says:

It has been done before, but in completely different situations. There’s recasting due to contract disputes, wanting to pursue something else, or personal issues, but recasting due to a sudden death wouldn’t be in the best interest of the show. It would come across as insensitive, to the general audience.

19. Liza180 says:

I am very sad about this because I loved looking at his beautiful face on R&I. He was gorgeous. Depression is a horrible mental state and if he was bad enough to take his own life, he very chemically imbalanced and my guess is he was way past anti depressants. I just hope the cast and his friends and family get through this difficult time. I’m not sure how the best way to write his character off but I’m not for recasting. When someone dies tragically like that, seeing his character recast just reminds the audience of him and his death. Its better to write the character out. They don’t even have to kill him, but have him transferred. But I think his character should die because its better for closure. I would prefer to see Frost be killed and the other characters mourning as they look for his killer. I also thought the dedication last night was very nice. Dedications usually are at the end of the show.

20. MarvaJ says:

I truly enjoyed his character each week on R&I. It is so sad to read of his passing and my prayers go out to his family, friends, and cast members. I don’t know what would be a good way to write his character off the show, but I do agree with those who suggest that future episodes include depression and suicide along with how those suffering can find help and how others can help those suffering before they take the final step. RIP Mr. Lee Thompson Young.

21. Dave&Sandy says:

We love this show and Frost’s character will be greatly missed.

22. Luis says:

We watch people on TV and in movies and we think, “Wow, their lives are so great!” Every one in a while, we get sadly reminded that these are real people, with real lives that aren’t always so great. R.I.P. Lee – we will miss you.

• Meredith says:

And famous people, as they’re struggling for success think, “When I have a steady job, I’ll be happy. When I can move out of this crappy apartment, I’ll be happy. When I can finally do X, Y, and Z for my mother, I’ll be happy.” Then they get a good job, and a better apartment, and help their mom, and…they’re still not happy. That leads to hopelessness, which leads to suicide. It’s really very sad.

23. N says:

Depression is real. RIP Lee

24. Cindy says:

My heart goes out to his family and friends. May he and they find peace. So tragic. So young.

25. Ursula says:

I always record this program I absolutely love. I had to go back to make sure I read it correctly of Mr. Young’s death. So devasting for his family. My heart aches for the sorrow they are going through. My deepest sympathy be with them.

• Angel says:

Ursula,
      I love this show and I loved Frost and what he brought to it. And I am really upset because here in Utah they did not show the banner at the end in memory of him. Why would they cut that off here? I am contacting Comcast tomorrow morning.

26. jon levy says:

just saw taped episode.
    It makes me sooooo angry. Beautiful man in his prime.

G-D BLESS

27. M. Hrozaerio says:

My dear Lee, I know in my heart that your soul has gone on to a better place. We are all here to learn and when our time is through when we have accomplished the goals set up for us before we were born then we leave this plain and take that next step in our journey of learning. That is what you have done. No one knows but you and Your Creator why you felt the need to leave now. No one knows the depth of despair you must have been feeling. No one knows because they are not you. No one knows how the pain can be so bad that the only way to stop the agony is to take you own life. I am so sorry there was no one who could just listen to you but that would only work if you wanted to talk. The pain must have been so excruciating that you could hardly breathe. What else could you do? I get the impression that you were a very quiet person who kept to yourself. We have never met and I am old enough to be your grandmother, in fact, I have a grandson your age. I will pray for your soul and I will pray that you will find the peace that you richly deserve on your journey of learning. Peace be with you my dear.

• Meredith says:

That was lovely. Thank you.

• Linda Silver says:

God created life, breathing life into us. It is NOT up to us to decide we don’t want to keep living!! There is NO better place when you commit suicide. Our God, Yeshua HaMaschiac, would not have guided this sweet boy to take his own life. satan, the father of lies and a deceiver of the brethren and that so-called yoruba religion which death is better than ignominy (fear of public disgrace, SERIOUSLY.) The creator of this world would NOT have prompted this — it’s not in his character!!! SHAME on that yoruba demonic so-called religion. Religion is supposed to uplift, not cast down!!! God help us!! Get a Bible, not just the Torah, get the whole thing and look at it. You’ll see for yourself!! This baby didn’t have to die!!! I have sons this age!! Jesus Christ give me strength!

• Meredith says:

“A new commandment I give unto you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so must you love one another.” John 13:34. I’m afraid Jesus would not find you very loving. I will pray that He changes your hard heart so you may be more worthy of heaven.

28. Linda Silver says:

I’m so damn mad! This kid, Lee Thompson Young was involved in a yoruban religion, where the philosophy was “death is preferred to ignominy (possible shame from public disgrace.) Are you kidding me!! He suffered from depression for a long time — nobody saw anything??? He never reached out to anyone but a false religion? And a religion that supports suicide???? The devil is a liar, and I cannot wait to see his deceiving ass burned up on judgment day by Yeshua HaMaschiac, Jehovah God! Killing our young people with his daggone NONSENSE!! I’m crying right now!! I couldn’t even turn the show on!!

29. Diana Castle says:

Deberian mandar al psiquiatra a todos los actores para ver que esten bien como el chavo de Glee o Lee Thompson Young no creen?

30. Been There says:

I am 76 years old – I am not “over” my Sister’s suicide 45 years ago. My Mother
    lived with it until the day she died as she came to awaken my Sister and found her
    dead. Contrary to the lyrics in that song, suicide is not painless, it’s HELL on the
    suffering victim and the survivors. As I read these comments I found myself getting
    angrier. Unless you’ve been there, quite stroking yourselves.

31. Awakening Winds says:

I lost two close friends to suicide and it was devastating.One seemed fine the other just seemed like she was doing okay. In fact they seemed as if all was well then boom. I tell you it was hard to pick up the peaces of my life thinking if I would have done this or that they would still be alive. Often the symptoms are hidden and you cannot see what is behind it. So we can be quick to judge ones actions as selfishness or realize that no matter what the pain in them was to hard to bear, that they could not even tell the one they were close to the most,what problems they were suffering from. This was not a selfish situation it was a situation that was so bad there were no words for and they could see no way out.

It is sad this young man had dealt with so much that for him he saw not way out. My prayers are with the show family and his personal family. I pray you do not blame yourselves and that the Lord comforts all of you in this time.If I were there I would love on you all through this difficult times.

32. Beth Tuttle says:

They should acknowledge his suicide as if it was Frost who killed himself, leaving everyone reeling from loss, anger, grief – all the helplessness one feels at a loved one’s suicide.They can’t kill him off, he can’t just die or disappear. Make it real. How would these characters react to this mystery and the ultimate “we’ll never know why” outcome to this heart-wrenching, life-changing event? This would be the most honest treatment of what is a sad but ultimately a selfish act. I want to see how Jane, Maura, Tommy, and especially Vince handle this devastating loss. A great opportunity to make the point that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Love R&I – the whole cast. It’s a precious thing to have such a cohesive ensemble. Lee was a hugely entertaining part of it – he will be so missed. I gotta admit – I’m sad but pretty pissed that he took himself away from so many who loved him. This is no one else’s fault for not noticing his depression – it was his own misguided decision to not seek help.

33. Lilly says:

I am still sad days later at Lee’s death. My prayers go out to his family who are suffering the most at this loss, as well as those on the set of R&I who worked with him daily. His family has asked that friends and fans make a donation to the Young Storytellers Foundation. For the first time ever, I actually I honored such a request. I’m not sure I knew how much I enjoyed Lee’s work in Jett Jackson and R&I until he was gone. Now I wish I had taken the time to write him a fan letter along the way so he would know how I felt as a fan and how much I enjoyed his work.

34. Charlie says:

Suicide is suicide and it is, in fact, a selfish act. In my job I have been to at least 70+ suicides during my career (and yes, many have been friends). The one thing that strikes me is that the person who died didn’t think about the friends (or strangers) who would have to clean up the mess left behind, who would have to tell their relatives of their death and its’ circumstances, and why they did it (to which there is rarely a true or enlightening answer). Mental health issues play a huge part in why someone does this but that doesn’t mean it isn’t selfish. Try walking into a room b/c a family member couldn’t get into “Janey’s “! apartment b/c something was blocking her door. You force the door open and you find what is left of the shotgun blast to her head. And then you have to turn around and tell “mom” that she can’t go in. Or you get a call of something hanging from a tree in a pasture. Or there is a body laying across the railroad tracks, and on and on and on. Where is the cognitive thought in any of these acts; where is the “this is absolutely the only thing I can do to fix this” final thought; where is the true rationality, even with mental health problems, to this final act? Even insane people ask for help. There is a difference between insanity and incompetency! The ONLY sane suicide is the farmer, about to lose the 150 year old family farm, who commits suicide for the insurance money to save it for his family. So please don’t tell me that you are depressed and couldn’t ask for help, b/c help is always there. I know. And please don’t tell me that it’s your choice to commit suicide b/c your idiotic act means someone has to come behind you and clean up the sickening mess you left behind. Let Mr. Young rest in peace with his ill thought out act and let his friends and co-works deal with their loss by themselves. They knew him personally, none of you people did. You just want to see him glorified on TV because he killed himself. And that was wrong in so many ways.

35. Nancy says:

Fame and Money can’t make you happy. I liked his character on the show (RI). All that and still noPeople take their own lives all the time. He just happen to be somebody, but he did not realize it.t want to live. Something missing in many peoples lives, too bad. People take their own lives all the time. He just happen to be somebody, but he did not realize it

36. budget time says:

I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.

Do you offer guest writers to write content available for you?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write concerning here.
    Again, awesome site!

37. charmed guy says:

He had already completed several episode before he passed. RIP Lee

38. Joanne1947 says:

If “In the immediate wake of Young’s death, Rizzoli & Isles halted production through at least Tuesday, as producers evaluated the situation and how the show would move forward without Young and his on-screen alter ego.” is true – when was production halted since Mr. Young/Det. Frost appeared in the first episode on Tuesday Feb 24, 2014?

• Stormy says:

Shows aren’t aired the day after taping. After a show is taped there is still post production, editing, looping, etc. that need to be done before an episode is ready to air. This means shows are generally taped weeks before they are aired. And with TNT and other cable networks splitting a single full season into two smaller “summer” & “winter” seasons, they were most likely taping the full season back in August when Mr. Young passed. So they stopped production for a time and then resumed to complete the remaining episodes. Because of the “summer/winter” season format and the fact that the summer season was ending when he died, there are a couple of shows that were taped prior to his passing that are only now airing. What should happen to the Frost character? Why can’t his character at least get his “happily ever after”? His girlfriend was offered a job in China? Great. Let Frost go with her and every so often someone gets an email or speaks of a phone conversation. This would leave an opening for possible recasting at some point after enough time has passed, if that’s a direction the powers that be would like to go.

39. debora says:

As one who suffers with depression and did my entire life but did not get help for it until I was 38 years old. People who have it, are afraid to deal with it, to face it, to admit it, and come out to the world with the illness, because people will really an truly run the other way. People can better except someone in their lives loosing a limb, than have to deal with someone suffering from any mental ailment. I found out who my real friends were, and who were just pretending, after my diagnosis . People who had been in my life for 30 years turned their backs on me, and ran the other way. My own parents and sister, looked at me as if I had two heads, or watched me like I was going to suddenly going to slit my wrists at any minute, and my mother actually went into my bathroom and emptied my entire medicine cabinet. So, people is it any wonder, this young man took his life. Society, would rather see people with mental illness dead, than have to learn about these diseases and face the fact, that there are probably people in their families, who have these diseases, but have covered them up with over drinking, drugs, overeating, or other things. Wake the hell up people, and look around you, and I guarantee you, that someone you know has a mental ailment, and has not told you or anyone else, for fear of being rejected.

40. jamie dalton says:

I just recently started watching this great show only to just find out that the main character that had drawn me to do so passed away last year..:( This really breaks my heart. He was so funny,sweet and just an all around talent…l will continue to watch the show as it is a very well written and a very good show. It just won’t be the same without Lee Thompson Young and his witty comments and beautiful eyes and just the overall presence he added to the show…I will miss seeing you evey episode that’s for sure. R.I.P BEAUTIFUL SOUL WITH NO MORE HURT AND PAIN.. <3

41. Retta says:

We’ll done, I like that u didn’t try too do another actor for Frost final tribute. Putting him on vacation was a genius, him coming from visiting his mom fit his character. He just meet his ex girl friend so his moving to be with her would not have work. He was too devoted to his job and his co worker was family to him.

42. Mary Ann says:

Sad, that is all I can say, truly missed from the first episode he was gone, hope he found the peace he was looking for. And I think this show was handled with total dignity for a fine actor who will be missed.

43. Stormy says:

I broke down and bawled like a baby at the end of the episode. I guess I had hoped that they would allow his character to move away and somehow let him live on. Sadly my little brother was killed in a car accident on June 15th. Father’s Day. Seeing this characters life end in the same manner breaks my heart all over again. I’ve been avoiding the next episode which will deal with the aftermath because I just know that it’s going to tear my heart out yet again.

• JJ Michaels says:

It was terrible. They should have written a story line that had him committing suicide. That way, they could have done some good by calling attention to a serious mental condition. Instead, they made something up that was more palatable to the viewers. Give us some credit. The episode was contrived, disingenuous, and very disappointing. The cast should have revolted and refused to shoot it unless it was real. A true letdown.

44. Alvira says:

I really don’t understand why people take there own life, theres help out there, I was abuse at a young age, my sister abuse me by hitting me kicking me and mentality she tell me I was worthless fat and ugly, she told people I wet my bed, all my siblings hit me punch me left me out, but I went to therapy which showed me I am special and I had to forgive. Some times I think if I could give my story maybe I could help, but I don’t know how to start. I sorry to hear he took his life, I hope he’s in a better place and at peace

45. Katie Koo says: