Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmys-Best-Comedy-ActressIt’s been 12 years since anyone has scored back-to-back Emmy wins for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series. (*If you’re scratching your head wondering who, exactly, holds that honor, kindly scroll to the end of this post!)

The question, of course, is whether Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus can break the no-repeat streak and score her second straight statuette. (She also won in 2006 for The New Adventures of Old Christine, but did not have the same luck in four subsequent attempts.)

VIDEO | Watch the Girls Season 3 Teaser

Two other women this year are going for non-consecutive doubles in the Best Comedy Actress race: Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco (who won in 2010) and 30 Rock‘s Tina Fey (the 2008 champ).

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Of course, if Emmy’s habit of spreading the wealth in the category continues, then perhaps one should think twice about putting money on Louis-Dreyfus, Falco and Fey. Instead, the safest bet is to look for a win from Parks and Recreation‘s Amy Poehler (nominated for the fourth straight year), Girls‘ Lena Dunham (in the hunt for the second year running) or Enlightened‘s Laura Dern (celebrating her first and only nod for the brilliant-but-canceled HBO comedy).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actresses when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

*Patricia Heaton, a winner in 2000 and 2001 for Everybody Loves Raymond, was the last actress to take home consecutive Best Comedy Actress statuettes.

1. lariet50 says:

Sorry to be this person, but – Zooey Deschanel. Oh wait …

2. Alex says:

This year I don’t care because I watch none of these shows, but I can’t wait for the 2014 Emmy’s where (I’m getting a little ahead of myself but idc) if Back in the Game is successful enough maybe, just maybe Maggie Lawson can get a nom (: It’s about time she is recognized for her comedic awesomeness

• liz says:

its a crime that Dule and James haven’t been nominated yet

• Bonnie says:

It truly is! I guess that’s what happens when you are on a cable network that isn’t well known, but still!!!! Psych should have at least been nominated once but too many people have yet to discover its greatness!

Now that Maggie will be on ABC hopefully she will get te recognition she deserves

• Tony says:

I don’t think it’s surprising that Dule and James have yet to be nominated for Best Actress in a Comedy Series.

3. Wow, landslide for Amy Poehler. My second choice is Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

4. John says:

To me, it should go to Julia Louis-Dreyfus or Amy Poehler, but I see Tina Fey winning it because of it being 30 Rock’s swan song season.

• Mike says:

Tina Fey might win, however 30 Rock is extremely over rated. It is just not funny and I am a huge fan of the NBC Thursday Night satire comedies. I think the industry puts her up every year because she attacked Sara Palin an it makes there the political insides feel all warm and toasty. Zooey Deschanel, Jenna Fisher, Kaley Cuoco, Courtney Cox, all had better years and performances.

5. Morganic says:

I’m going to be really aggravated if Amy doesn’t win this year. It’s beyond time for her to win!

6. Bobby says:

Please don’t make me choose between Amy Poehler and Laura Dern! I’ve been waiting (and waiting… and waiting…) since season two for Amy to win this, but this is Laura’s only chance left for Enlightened. Normally I’m just Team Poehler and nothing more but I don’t think I can pick between them.

7. Sam says:

This is the only category where everyone nominated deserves to win. Lena Dunham is my greatest inspiration, but Leslie Knope is the most feminist character on TV. Laura Dern deserves it for a great two seasons of Enlightened, but JLD rocked it this year. Tina Fey has her last shot for 30 Rock and Edie Falco is one of the best actors working today. So I’m kind of at a loss.

8. Brendan says:

Emmy Rossum should have been nominated!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

She had submitted herself in drama, but you’re right, she should have been nominated. I’ve been mad about her getting snubbed ever since Shameless came on the air.

9. Michelle says:

Amy Poehler, please! I wouldn’t be totally upset if Julia Louis-Dreyfus won because I love her too and she’s awesome on Veep, but Poehler is just way overdue for recognition for her work on Parks. That said, my gut tells me neither will win. We know how much the Television Academy loves 30 Rock, even though later seasons weren’t nearly as strong, and I have a feeling they’re going to give the award to Tina Fey again since it’s her last chance to win for the show.

10. Aprilcot says:

If there were any justice at the Emmys, Amy Poehler would have this in the bag. She should have won last year! I wouldn’t be mad if it went to Tina Fey or JLD, Amy’s recognition is long overdue. The fact that P&R doesn’t get more Emmy love is criminal.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

I voted for Lena Dunham because I know she submitted Bad Friend which is a very hilarious episode of Girls, but I could happily see it go to Julia Louis-Dreyfuss too. She submitted Running which is another really funny episode. I think Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is going to win it again. They obviously like her, they seem to love Veep judging by the fact it got nominated for three acting categories plus best series, and she’s got a great episode submission. I actually would put money on her winning in this case.

• That episode was funnier than usual, but Girls is primarily a drama. There is precedent for dramatic performances winning Emmy gold in the comedy category (Will & Grace) but I feel like, if we’re fairly comparing shows and actresses, Girls has an unfair disadvantage of being a drama that is often comedic as opposed to the opposite. You never know with these Emmy voters, though.

12. King says:

Julia should win again. She deserves it.

13. Lauren says:

AMY POEHLER AMY POEHLER AMY POEHLER!!!

14. Kim R says:

Melissa McCarthy. :)

15. liz says:

Busy Phillips is LONG overdue for Cougar Town

16. Abby says:

This one was easy. Amy Poehler all the way!

17. TVFan says:

Two words – – – Kaley Cuoco!

18. It should be between Pholer, Dreyfus and Fey, be happy if any of these 3 won

19. Lore says:

And the 2 Broke Girls ??? Kat is amazing, she should have been nominated!

20. duke says:

I love Amy but really JLD “killed” it this season! She was just too perfect on Veep! And people should start watching veep, its hilariously insane

21. Lauren says:

The fact that Amy Poehler still hasn’t won this is mindblowing.

22. Joey says:

I want Amy to win but I know Julia will win again.

23. Going to be surprised if Lena Dunham wins.

24. Dave says:

I absolutely adore Tina Fey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. It would be nice to see Tina take it for the final season of 30 Rock, and it would also be nice to see Julia get back-to-back Emmys. However, Amy Poehler has truly deserved recognition for so long now. I’ve been rooting for her every year and she never wins. She’s brilliant in Parks and Rec and they absolutely need to recognize her performance before the show is over. It would be criminal if the show ends without her ever winning an Emmy (like Steve Carell).

25. cjeffery7 says:

i would PREFER Amy Poehler, but i suspect Julia Louis is more likely to repeat, and she’d deserve it just as much if she did.

26. Elizabeth says:

If Amy once again steals the show with a crazy comedy bit and then loses the actual award I think I may lose hope in the world. How she has been ignored for this long is beyond me. She is sunshine in everything that she does

27. JJ says:

I’ve never watched parks and rec, but for god’s sake, give it to Amy Poehler already!

28. Mus says:

The parks and recreation fanatic in me wants amy poehler to win, she can make a wooden plank laugh, but i really want laura dern to win this one for 2 beyond amazing seasons of enlightened. It’s like sophie’s choice. Laura or Amy, Laura or Amy. Ugh i can’t choose.

29. Jon says:

Julia Louis-Dreyfuss was even more outstanding this year than last on Veep. My vote goes for her.

30. Mikael says:

I just got into Veep and I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus should definitely win. She consistently cracks me up. I like Amy Poehler in general, but I just could never get into Parks and Rec. And I think Courteney Cox is severely underrated, even going to back her Friends days. She is still hilariouisly funny on Cougar Town, but that show gets zero recognition.