Under the Dome Recap: The Children Shall Lead?

Get More: Recaps

The Fourth HandThis week on CBS’ Under the Dome, the “mini-dome” begat a huge mystery, while Big Jim went about collecting guns yet found himself in a mystery woman’s crosshairs — and sharing something in common with frenemy Barbie.

RELATED | Under the Dome Renewed for Season 2

DOME ALONE | Fresh off the mini-dome’s latest “disclosure,” to Julia via “Joe” — that “the monarch will be crowned” — Norrie remarked on Angie’s tattoo. But, Joe countered, monarch butterflies are orange, while his sis’ ink is blue-and-yellow. Julia meanwhile went to show Barbie the “mini-dome with an egg in it,” only to find the object missing from the forest. Joe, Nor and trusty dog Truman at first were unable to sniff out the missing mini-dome, but it later was discovered in the McAllister barn — where a zombie-like Joe apparently relocated it the night before. The youths gathered ’round the orb and placed their hands on it without incident, as it emitted a bluish glow and indicated that a “fourth hand,” or key, was needed to complete the… secret circle? (What, too soon?)

MAX TO GRIND | A beautiful, ballbusting woman named Max showed up in Big Jim’s home, and it is revealed that she has been overseeing his whole drug operation. (She was in town to see him when the Dome first appeared, and has since been laying low in a vacant house, keeping tabs on people. Um, OK.) At her suggestion, The Fourth HandJim begins rounding up the firearms in town, ostensibly because of an unfortunate incident triggered by a tweaking customer of Reverend Coggins, who was hopped up on the propane-fueled drug Rapture. Later, Jim realizes that Max also knows Barbie — intimately, it would seem — though both gents are under her thumb, due to secrets they each prefer buried.

MISC. | After Angie suffered a seizure (upon Shy Junior’s suggestion that the Dome was making her sick), her avid admirer shared a painting his mom did before killing herself — one of him showered by “pink stars,” just as Angie had been mumbling.

RELATED | Under the Dome Traps Mare Winningham for Mysterious Role

THINGS WE NOW ARE WONDERING….

* Does Julia have a different pair of fashionable, impractical boots for every trip into the woods?

* To pass the inordinate amount of time her surviving mom is spending alone in a bedroom, did Norrie swing by a hair salon?

* Isn’t it almost odd to see Dean Norris on back-to-back nights, especially now that his Breaking Bad storyline is so intense? (Or is it more odd to have his Dome scenes adjacent to the Mom promo’s “making meth” joke?)

* It’s only been eight days since the Dome came down…?!

* Did the “show some midriff” rider in Britt Robertson’s contract just kick in?

* Is anyone worrying about gasoline yet? (Not that there are many places for people to drive, but….) How many filling stations could a tiny burg like Chester’s Mill have had? Or was every police car on a full tank?

* Hey, how about that not-at-all-conspicuous notebook computer demo!

* Can the townsfolk agree on one intonation of the word propane (or PRO-pay-un, as the nosy neighbor lady calls it)?

* Did Linda really shoot a gun at a door with presumably scads of propane tanks behind it? Did John Travolta-in-Broken Arrow teach us nothing?

* Do we think Jeff Fahey returned for the security camera scene of Duke and Max, or was it just a bearded, hat-wearing stand-in?

* Is Angie actually starting to pick up what Shy Junior is laying down? Could these two be MFEO? Is he the “fourth hand,” the king to her queen? And what do these “keys” unlock?

What new questions do you have about the Dome?

Comments (63)

• I’m hoping the fourth hand is Joe’s little skateboard buddy…

Comment by sladewilson – August 19, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Maddy – August 19, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aw, that would be so awesome! But how much would it suck if it were Shy Junior??

Comment by Plum – August 20, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohh yeah! i like that idea better than Junior!

Comment by Elyse – August 20, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Benny’s prominence in the book would suggest that. But the book doesn’t seem to hold much sway over the story anymore.

Speaking of, given that, in the book, the town’s dirty little secret and the stockpile of propane was for a massive meth lab, and not a shiny new illegal-drug cocktail, why does it really surprise people in Chester’s Mill that propane could be used for drugs? Linda seems shocked–”I’ve never heard of a drug that uses propane”–but, in the age of “Breaking Bad,” is there anyone who doesn’t know that meth is artificial and cooked on gas burners? Shouldn’t the producers of the show, who cast someone FROM “Breaking Bad,” be aware of this?

Comment by Steven – August 20, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, technically there is no “age of Breaking Bad” in this reality, since the guy who plays Hank is otherwise occupied.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 20, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe. Given the Simpsons movie reference, it wouldn’t surprise me if the conversation turned to drugs and somebody told Big Jim he looked like a character from Breaking Bad.

Comment by Steven – August 20, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THAT would be hilarious!!

Comment by GMonster – August 22, 2013 06:30 PM PDT
  • How does Max hide in small-town “everyone knows everyone” for eight days while watching everyone closely? Does she have an invisible cloak?

Comment by Melody – August 19, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Guess Harry Potter doesn’t have the only invisibility cloak. That explanation was lacking for me. What did she do when all the town’s people were evacuated underground to avoid the missile? Was she just going to hang out in that empty house and die?

Comment by Alichat – August 19, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it doesn’t become like Lost/Gilligan’s island with new people popping up every week.

Comment by TVPeong – August 20, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wonder how too,i dont like her character,

Comment by mary – August 20, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah really! Where’s she been all this time? Stupid…

Comment by Amy – August 20, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wherever it was, I hope she goes back. I was thoroughly enjoying this show, and she’s ruined it.

Comment by Sio bhan – August 21, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben would be a great choice for the fourth hand.

Junior seems too obvious.

Comment by Candice – August 19, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sure — let’s kill off people one week and add people the next. ho hum. this is going to keep going on and on for at least another summer. as if there werent enough people in original cast. like LOST all over again. the main cast was so great. they they kept adding more and more and more. until you had way too many cast members!

Comment by Who? – August 19, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s just me but the actress who plays Angie reminds me a lot of Hayden Panettiere (Nashville, Heroes)……

Comment by calvkln – August 19, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The actress who plays Angie reminds me a lot of the girl from Secret Circle…. oh wait… :)

Comment by L – August 19, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Too soon!!!!! #stillbitter

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – August 20, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how the hell was his mother an “artist?” all the paintings in her studio looked like a kid did them

Comment by Brianne – August 19, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing.

Comment by CarlsBarkley – August 19, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I thought at first that they were just some of Jr’s paintings she had kept.

Comment by Laurie Emerson – August 20, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing!!! She was this “great” artist, taught classes, had her own studio…and her painting looked worse than what a kid would draw!!! LOL!!!

Comment by Amy – August 20, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been reading the book and its amazing how different the two are.. Other than the dome and a lot of character names the show has very little in common with the book.

Comment by L – August 19, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I read the book years ago and knew from the first episode that it was totally different.

Comment by SK – August 20, 2013 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on I'm LissaBreen – Welcome To My World (My Life, My Way&My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – August 19, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Is anyone worrying about gasoline yet? (Not that there are many places for people to drive, but….) How many filling stations could a tiny burg like Chester’s Mill have had? Or was every police car on a full tank?” Yes, I have been wondering that since the show began.
    “Do we think Jeff Fahey returned for the security camera scene of Duke and Max, or was it just a bearded, hat-wearing stand-in?” It was a stand-in.

Comment by Alichat – August 19, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The secret circle reference was hilarious! Iol

Comment by luli – August 19, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m trying not to over think the plot, it’s a TV show and all I want is a semblance of entertainment til the end is laid out for me.

Comment by dasnake – August 19, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Natalie Zea is a fave of mine, glad to see her on the show. “Girls, girls, girls, you’re both pretty!” Max seems like a nastier version of her character on Dirty Sexy Money.

Comment by Dave – August 20, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope the fourth hand is junior,but i dont think that ti will,coz it’s too obvious. but i do think that he’s some kind of a savior lol,like audrey parker in haven or emma swan in once upon a time, like ”in it to break the curse” to get the dome down. coz next thing you know the dome will be kinda a good thing,for the people in it or the world lol. like in lost

Comment by mary – August 20, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They better not make the crazy loon who locked a girl in a shelter, and then chained her on top of that be like Audrey or Emma!! That is an awful comparison as Audrey and Emma would never have done something so horrible. But the writing on this show is so poor they could decide to do that stupid move.

Comment by CountryQueen – August 20, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering if the 4th hand is Barbie…playing on the reluctant hero archetype and all. I agree Junior seems too obvious.

Comment by mirvin365 – August 20, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Shy Junior and Angie keep a straight face while gazing upon Mrs. Big Jim’s collection of childlike fingerpaintings? I especially liked Angie’s crack about Mrs. BJ’s “pottery class.” Given the crudeness of the paintings I’m guessing the “pottery class” was Mrs. BJ turning lumps of clay into…lumps of clay to be used as door stoppers. Seriously, there were stick figures! She painted stick figures!!

FINALLY we see some very cool sci fi stuff happening, love that the kids jumped right in with the hand-keys. I’m not loving the Geek Girl DJ, how could someone as tech savvy and cool as her end up being Anti-Seizure Kids? You’d think the Geek Girl would be front and center in being excited to solve the mystery

Wherever the pharmacist from True Blood and Cool DJ are I hope they will reappear as folks who are excited about the science behind the dome. It’s great that the kids are into it but the rents seem to all be downers. I’m glad we now know Big Jim’s secret is just boring ol’ drugs, I hope we can now move away from Crazy Villagers of the Week and get into the sci fi stuff of the Hand-Keys.

Comment by Plum – August 20, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW, Julia moves fast. Only a little over a week since she’s been without her husband and she’s already kissing Barbie. I get the fact that she found out a couple days ago that her husband lied to her about his gambling, but still…. a week and your already over your husband that you are supposed to love and kissing on another man. That’s just crazy.

Comment by Tenney – August 20, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you seen Barbie? Nuff said.

Comment by Plum – August 20, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen to that! My god, he gets hotter every week.

Comment by B – August 20, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s TV. And also she thinks her husband left her, and Barbie is ridiculously hot.

Comment by Ruby – August 20, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember she thinks he was cheating too. Also, I would think that the people have a “what happens in the dome, stays in the dome” mentality.

Comment by tp – August 20, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I agree with other comments – “it’s the ‘end of the world’, so let’s do anything we want to – what difference does it make now?” I think that’s probably the mentality that starts to set in. Julia and Barbie are making ‘the best’ [the most?] of the situation that has presented itself. They are living now like it is the end of the world. Makes for an interesting storyline for all. I expect Linda and Barbie to go at it one of these episodes as well. Everyone starts to look more interesting when you realize this is it – not going to see any new faces anytime soon (except for Max… or Gilligan)

Comment by Counting Julia's many shoes - tally now is 15!! – August 20, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Isn’t it almost odd to see Dean Norris on back-to-back nights, especially now that his Breaking Bad storyline is so intense?”

I was thinking about this last night. On Breaking Bad he’s trying to catch a drug dealer and on Under the Dome he’s the one in the drug business and he’s trying to cover it up. It makes you wonder how long it would take Hank Schrader to figure out what Big Jim is up to.

Comment by dw – August 20, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like that they’re trying to turn Junior kidnapping Angie into him trying to protect her. What he did was super creepy and rape-y and if they’re expecting the audience to just go with him being a good guy all of a sudden, I don’t know if I can continue watching because that’s way messed up in a way that I don’t want to support.
    In other news, Mike Vogel is ridiculously good looking and giving off some serious Dean Winchester vibes on this show.

Comment by Ruby – August 20, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that Joe pointed out the color of Angie’s tattoo. I could see that it wasn’t a monarch in last week’s episode. I have a feeling the fourth key is Julia – she is the only other person who has touched the mini-dome so far.

I thought it funny that in the span of less than 24 hours Big Jim invokes the Constitution (Eminent Domain) and then states that some rights should be suspended (firearms). I find that I’m watching more for the inconsistencies and logical slipups than for character development. Guess I’ve found another way to be entertained by this.

Comment by Cate Amos – August 20, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that seems to be like just about every politician, and certainly many people. Pick out the parts of the constitution that suit you, get rid of the rest.

Comment by CountryQueen – August 20, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Julia is the reason Joe moved it.

Comment by tp – August 20, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would make sense for the show’s purposes for it to be Julia because the kids arent going to tell her they know where it is, so they wont find the 4th hand/key for a while if it is her….helps them drag out that story line a bit longer.

Comment by derrick – August 21, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I pointed it out last week and people insisted it was a Monarch. I was glad to see the show point out the obvious differences in Angie’s tattoo and an actual Monarch butterfly. It should have been obvious, especially considering just a day or two before there were thousands of Monarchs on the show, but I guess not.

Comment by Sio bhan – August 21, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, I always love your observations. Highly entertaining!

Comment by ncis4evr – August 20, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching this show still, but the story is so, so bad (not to mention the acting) that it’s starting to feel a lot like hate-watching… seriously, they need to get into some of the Stephen King style grittiness.

Comment by Matthew – August 20, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t the previews show Dodee having a seizure. Would that make her the 4th hand.

Comment by Steve T – August 20, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She touched the mini-dome and was sent flying back (looked to be unconscious). She probably had that reaction as she is not meant to touch it – especially since she is suspicious of the kids. She is probably seen as a threat to them by the dome. Julia is certainly worried about what will happen to them if Dodee’s concerns are spread to the population of Chester Mill’s, which is why she doesn’t want her talking about it.

Comment by CountryQueen – August 20, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe. I don’t watch the “Coming Attractions.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 20, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We watch the show to laugh at it like a bad “B”-movie, the plot and characters are so one dimensional and that’s what makes it fun to watch.

After 8 days, everyone seems to be holding up well, nice hair, make-up, clean clothes, etc.

If I see Angie and Jr in the same room alone again, I’m done watching this show. I know it’s just a TV show, but there’s no way she hasn’t told someone what Jr has done to her. Plus I find it hard to believe she would even look at him again, if the writers had any insight, they would make her flip out on him and completely separate them.

I thought the power went out when the dome fell, yet it seems every place they go has power. Even running generators will leave some areas with out power. For a small town their food and gas supply seems really good after 8 days. Oh and I guess most people in town also owned a ton of automatic guns and assault rifles and ammo.

It’s to bad this show went way off the rails after the first episode, if it followed the book more I believe it would be so much better to watch.

Comment by Spike – August 20, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone noticed that Max’s necklace was a butterfly ?
    Or was I just seeing things…?

Comment by Grace – August 20, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • didn’t notice one

Comment by mary – August 21, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “To pass the inordinate amount of time her surviving mom is spending alone in a bedroom, did Norrie swing by a hair salon?”

HAHAHAHA!!! I kept thinking that too…The woman still needs to eat and drink and I doubt there’s a lot in the bedroom! “She’s still grieving and wants to be alone”…so she holes up in the bedroom with no food or water. And did they bury the other mother in the front yard? Obviously the funeral home is still around, with caskets and likely the equipment needed to dig a gravesite-yet they dug a hole in the front lawn with shovels.

And apparently the other mother is the only one still grieving. If the town’s been under the dome only 8 days, that would make it only 2 or 3 days since she died, but the daughter seems to be totally over it, and more intrigued with where the little dome went. If my mom died, especially when I was just a teen, I’d be a sobbing, screaming basket case for months or more!!! But apparently in the world of the Dome, as soon as someone dies, they’re forgotten…like Julia’s husband. He disappeared 8 days ago but already she’s shacking up with Barbie and sharing a bed like a married couple. hahahahaha!!! They move fast in Chester’s Mill!!!

Comment by Amy – August 20, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this about to spin off a new show to be called “Adventures of the Gender-Questioning Pair” about a woman named Max and a man named Barbie? I, too, wonder how Max managed to stay hidden for 8 days. On the other hand, Chester’s Mill seems to expand and contract like an accordion, with the population becoming larger and smaller and larger again as more characters are added from nowhere, and then killed. But it’s the inconsistencies that make so much fun. I can’t help imagining what Mel Brooks would do with the dialogue and storyline. Well, if I ever get bored, I can just re-watch all the scenes with Barbie in them.

Comment by ruthsims – August 21, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why Barbie or Big Jim didn’t kill Max since she has dirt on both of them. How could “their secrets get out” if she was dead? Did I miss something?

Comment by Jen – August 21, 2013 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She said that if anything happens to her, arrangements have been made for their secrets to be revealed regardless.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 21, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously it’s not like the book at all the book is more violent than the TV show . Example Junior had already killed Angie and Dodie and sleeping with there corpses . Junior friends are a bunch of bully’s and rapist thug .All I’m saying I love the TV series but the book goes more into the characters.

Comment by Paul – August 21, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one is mentioning the fact that the egg seems to be ‘predicting the events’. In one scene; 6 little sparks rise up from the bottom (ironically – 6 people die that day). The next time we are shown the egg, several sparks rise up in a swarm. This is just before the big gun fight over the well. I get the impression that the pink stars or the ‘energy of the egg’ can be interpreted as impending deaths, level if violence, etc. Anybody else notice this?

Comment by Brybry – August 26, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post