Ratings: Whodunnit? Ends on a High Note While Crossing Lines Finale Hits a Low

Whodunnit Finale RatingsABC’s Whodunnit? wrapped its season (and the murder mystery? Someone tell me) with 3.67 million total viewers and a 1.4 rating — marking its second most-watched telecast and an all-time high in the demo.

Leading into that, Secret Millionaire (4.7 mil/1.2) was up a tenth.

Over on CBS, Big Brother (6.5 mil/2.0) slipped 9 percent and two tenths, while Unforgettable (6.4 mil/1.1) was steady.

NBC’s two-hour Crossing Lines finale (2.05 mil/0.4) dropped some 20 percent week-to-week, hitting a demo low.

1. Scott says:

Here’s the deal with Whodunnit: It was campy, but wonderful Summer TV Fun that I looked forward to. You really wanna know who did it? It was more fun to be happily wrong thinking it was other people! If they pick it up for season 2, get into it.

2. Cassie says:

Are those decent ratings for Whodunnit? I really enjoyed it and I look forward to a second go-a-round next year if ABC will allow.

3. Eric O says:

Yep – Scott nailed it. Whodunnit? was cheesy – but cheesy fun. Fun to watch the contestants get into it and play it up. It just needs more clues for the contestants and viewers about the killer and not just how the crime was done.

• DreamRose311 says:

Yeah, I think t here should be more clues about the killer, and that knowing the killer by the end should be a part of winning. Like maybe have a finale with 4 people instead of three, and at the end instead of seeing the losers murdered, you win some amount for winning the game, and a bonus for identifying the killer.

For me there was one big clue about the killer, but it was one the contestants didn’t get to see. During the killer’s “this is how it was done, and this is who i think did it” video each week, instead of saying a line that accused someone, the killer said a line that named someone, but in a non accusatory way… I wish I could remember an example to explain what I mean better…

• iammusic says:

All this, and in the second to last episode, Giles asked someone about how many scared cards they had gotten. “Zero” was a big clue.

• DreamRose311 says:

Yeah, but that was one the contestants got to see… plus it kind of felt like it was meant to be a red herring, but ended up it wasn’t… all along I wasn’t considering the scared/spared cards to mean anything, because the killer could in theory give themselves a scared card as a ruse…

• Ann says:

Yet, they person who eventually won still had no clue who was the killer, even when he was looking at her in the face in the same room, even though the clues told him he’d be seeing the killer!

• marini says:

i don’t think the “killer” already knew s/he was the killer from the start. s/he placed 2nd so s/he became the killer.

• Ann says:

If that’s true, then that makes the entire series more lame than it already was.

• Karen MT says:

No, the killer knew s/he was the killer. That person was informed of and (I think) present at most of the murders or set ups, so they knew that much. They did not know about the challenges in the middle, however.

• Martine says:

Yeah, we need more reality tv…

4. iammusic says:

I was impressed with Whodunnit until the second to last episode, when they basically said who did it by revealing one very obvious fact. If it does come back, I’ll watch it again. But at least don’t throw the finale this time.

• Ewa says:

I actually thought they did it in such fashion that it seemed TOO obvious, i.e. not true. So I really was surprised. Although it sucks that who the killer was was the most irrelevant part of the game:/

5. Whimsical says:

I really hope there’s a second season. This show was great, cheesy fun.

6. Whimsical says:

I thought it was awesome cheesy fun. Will definitely watch if they do it again next summer- hell, might even try out.

7. Adrienne says:

MY mother-in-law, daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Whodunnit? together. I really hope it comes back next summer.

8. Steven says:

Wish they’d have done Whodunnit more like The Mole where there were actual hints to the contestants and viewers about the identity of the culprit.

9. Apres Ski says:

I liked Crossing Lines because it’s shot all over Europe. It was like getting a glimpse into future vacation spots. I also liked the international cast. I hope it comes back if not, I’ll watch it online. And I was surprised to see Donald Sutherland in one of those roles. NICE!!!

• Cassandra says:

I’m kind of bummed that the show never really attracted any viewers because for a procedural show, I thought it was pretty good. NBC needs to learn that if the only way they promote their shows is on their network that hardly anyone watches, then there numbers are never going to improve. When you say you’ll watch it online, does that mean the show was renewed for other countries?

• KD says:

I liked this show. I hope that they pick it up for another season. If not on NBC I hope that it’s available online

• cdc0374 says:

i agree 100%. I think it was a bad idea to release int he summer. Maybe viewrs would be more attracted to this show in the fall. I loved. Very differnet and nice from the norm…

• melanie says:

NBC are you listening? bring itCrossing Lines back and put it on USA on a cable channel.

• Penny says:

NBC is always taking off shows that are reality & make sense!!!! Young people out there aren’t the only people that watch TV!! Boo on NBC once again for not bringing back a good show, just like they took off The Event!!!! NBC why don’t you view the older generation!!!

10. Who? says:

“Whodunnit?” should have been named “Whoiswatchingthiscrap?”

• Suzanne says:

Seriously! I watched the entire season, SOOOO disappointing.It seems almost unfair, because the killer was on the team with the winner, so she must have known all the clues and facts to share all the vital information with her teammates, and Kam didn’t reveal the killer, so basically he didnt solve anything. I don’t quite understand the point of this show.

11. Maryann says:

The only show discussed in the article I watch is Crossing Lines, and I really love it. It is refreshing and different. Unfortunately, with those ratings, it doesn’t look like it will be back for a second season. It would be nice if Canadian and international shows that are renewed elsewhere but not here would be available on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon — but I’m not holding my breath based on past experience.

12. fafner says:

I’m a mystery buff, so yesterday I watched Whodunnit? finale and finished reading The Cuckoo’s Calling. My reaction at both was like: so this is it, but why did I care? Every time you wonder why you cared, it’s a sign that something didn’t work as expected.

13. Alex says:

Didn’t love the ending of Whodunnit, mainly, as it seemed the final act was simply about running as fast as you could to solve those riddles, but didn’t really use the knowledge of the contestants. Also, the basically T/F for the final step was a bit too dumb, I would have rather it at least been “who is the killed”, and if you got it wrong, you were toast.

It was cheesy dumb fun, would like to see another season of it, during the summer, and maybe give a bit more of a clue kinda vibe, kill off a few staff before killing off participants, or, give it a larger staff (say 6-10 people) with one of the staff as an accomplice.

14. Ann says:

Whodunnit made absolutely no sense! The person who won had no clue who the killer was, even when he was told that he’d be seeing the killer face to face in the room…and there was only one other person in that room! He even thought the butler did it! Meanwhile, the person who was guessing who the killer was from the very beginning lost! Makes no sense….terrible flaw in that show. Bring back The Mole instead!

15. Skrable2 says:

Whodunnit? was a geat campy way to spend an hour each week. They could tweak it a little, but I thought it got better as it went along. The makeup on the victims was emmy-worthy.

The finale went by too fast, though, since the final game was too repetetive. The best moment was when the player who won had such a hard time accepting that their guess of the killer had been wrong to that point

16. Mike says:

I enjoyed Whodunnit and hope it comes back. It reminded me so much of a show that was on Fox years ago – anyone remember Murder in Small Town X?

17. John says:

Whodunnit seemed VERY staged to me. I mean, come on, one of the contestants said in a “diary room” style interview that the mountain lion she was examining in the morgue “could wake up any second” when it was clear to anyone watching that it was dead and stuffed…and that’s just one example. If you read the fine print at the end of the credits, you see that elimination was based on a quiz taken by the contestants, so the whole “state your case” thing in the library was meaningless. I also don’t buy for a second that the bizarre meet up in the final room and the killer reveal was spontaneous in the least. More like, *spolier* finished the puzzle first and officially won the show, production stopped, they shot the final murder, then moved upstairs to shoot the reveal.
    And don’t get me started on the fact that the person who had no idea who the killer was won the show, while the person who had it pegged from the beginning got an arrow in the throat.
    Having said all that, it was still the best worst show on television and I’m sorry it’s over.

• kavyn says:

To be honest, I went into the show thinking they were mostly actors. I just viewed the show like a real life Total Drama Island and really enjoyed watching it with that in mind. I would absolutely love to play the game, even if it was heavily scripted (I’d probably play it for free, it seemed like that much fun!)

• jestsaying says:

Go buy one of those murder mystery party games, invite some friends over and enjoy. It’d be better than watching this dreck…

18. Leigh says:

I am sad to see that the season finale of Crossing Lines did not score higher. The show is very interesting and has been a nice addition to the summer, a time when I never really watch television. I know it is not optimistic, but has there been any news on a renewal?

• melanie says:

please bring crossing lines back- I too never watch tv in the summer. this show had me watching tv every sunday night. every time a new show comes on- crossing lines, golden boy, Chicago code, missing,- one season and they are done. the finale is gripping and then the show never comes back. please give shows more than one season or 1/2 season. no wonder no one watches- they aren’t on long enough for people to get into them.

19. Gosh, cable is really killing those network ratings on a Sunday.

20. Jason says:

Whodunnit was amazingggg I don’t know what I’m gonna do without it

21. Yolanda says:

I thought the show was interesting at first. However the ending was silly and unfair, if you really think about it. Chris helped the people on her team to win! It had nothing to do with how well you solved the clues. You just had to pick the right team to be on. If you remember a lot of times Chris would solve the puzzle helping whomever was on her side. I thought it was really disappointing when there was six against three, and the larger team kept losing. I thought we’ll that is unfortunate but really it is unfair, because Chris was helping her team with the answers, because she is the killer and has the inside information.

22. sladewilson says:

I’m sad to hear about the ratings for Crossing Lines. One of the better summer shows this year, it had a fresh new feel to it. The international backdrop and the season finale was awesome with multiple cliffhangers. I hope NBC brings it back and promotes it better.

23. luvtoolearn says:

This show as cheezy as it is still has a lot of potential. With a few tweeks I feel next season can be a quality show. Things that can be changed is the killer not speaking at the end in riddles and bad acting, have the winner be the one that actually figured out who the killer was and the challenge similar to the rest of the season but enhanced. Cast people that are really interested in forensics and those types of shows (people that like CSI, Bones, etc.), have murders that are more difficult to solve like the one with the slingshot and the inferno, only with less obvious clues. Have the killer occasionally give themselves scared cards. Have each winner from each murder get an extra clue to who might be the killer, then at the end of the season use those clues to figure out who the killer is. Have the final four instead of final three compete and do not give away the killer until the winner is announced and the killer is exposed….just a few ideas.

24. Shaun Firth says:

Crossing Lines is great TV. Too smart for the US audience. Plus, I think a lot of Americans, when they found out it wasn’t set in the US, decided it wasn’t for them. I really hope that since it’s primarily a European production, that they’ll be able to keep it on despite not having a US distributor. Or maybe Netflix or FX or some other cable network will pick it up. All the best TV isn’t on the big 4 anymore, and really hasn’t been for a number of years. One person did make a good observation. Nobody watches NBC. So if they only promote their shows on their own network, nobody is going to see the promos and nobody is going to watch. This is especially true of summer, where the big nets always seem to put content they have no faith in. How many summer, or mid-season replacements have been successful? They are the exception, especially now when the cable nets are putting on great summer shows like Suits, Franklin & Bash, Falling Skies, Copper, Neccessary Roughness, Perception, Major Crimes, Ray Donovan. All great shows not on networks with three letter names!

• Melanie says:

Hooray ! I agree all the way around. No one watches NBC and even less in the summer. I specifically like this show as it is not set in the us!

• Diane says:

Oh, I so agree! Crossing Lines is quality TV! Please bring it back. Is was the best of network shows out there!

• Jordan222 says:

Totally agree,( about it being to smart) when I read a book people look at me cross eyed. Did you see the promo for NBCs new winner “Ironsides” about the tough as nails cop in the wheelchair, I swear to god when I saw it thought it was some king of gag or April fools type joke, the sad thing is it will premiere with like 5mill. Or something. NBC should just bring in random people off the street or pick shows bingo tumbler style.

• Ciana says:

I agree! Crossing Lines is a really good show and I hope it comes back for another season.

25. Melanie says:

Hello NBC- please see out comments! Bring back crossing lines!!!

26. K C says:

It was fun to watch for awhile until I realized there is almost nil chance of us, the viewers, could solve this since there were zilch clues, and the show should be seen only as entertainment and reality hopeless. The Killer was portrayed by an actor so there were no clues as to the mannerisms or gestures of Killer. Clues just made people run around only to find another clue as to where another clue was which really weren’t clues at all. HaHa on us. And, Dontae’s actress had shoes on when running to the pool. These poor contestants were frequently made to look like fools – was that in their contract? Really, if you are in a vapr filling room would you just stand around? Duh. How does a horse-rider carry around a stick with poisoned nails sticking out, then conceal it again? Where? The Killer has all these props and gadgets and mansion access, but no keys to the rooms? AAAGGHHHHH!

• Ken says:

“How does a horse-rider carry around a stick with poisoned nails sticking out, then conceal it again?”

Each horse had a saddle bag attached to it. The snake was hidden in the saddle bag of Ulysses’ horse. The floorboard with the nails could’ve been hidden in the saddle bag of the killer’s horse.

• K C says:

The floorboard was larger than the saddlebag and would have stuck out. Ulys was struck in the right leg. The snake was found in the left saddlebag, which was found unbuckled.. When could the killer have put the snake in? P.S. Melina – a flight attendant? Supposed to be calm and reasonable. You were the most jumpy and nervous person on the show. I hope you are not on my flight if something goes wrong.

27. Martine says:

Whodunnit was basically just a waste of time for certified idiots. id rather watch paint dry. But your numbers are all off. Those are not Nielsen ratings data.

28. Ann says:

Yes, bring back The Mole, but not with celebrities, but normal everyday people. I watched Whodunnit because I always liked murder mysteries with people trapped in remote areas getting killed off, The movie, “And then there were none” is a favorite. The campy reactions from the players on Whodunnit was sooo over the top, it became fun to watch just for that.

29. Samantha Hanifan says:

I found it to be exciting and i study forensics and everything they did on the show matched up every murder well played and ever clue correct look forward to next year

30. Joan Cuthbert says:

Crossing Lines, great show. Please renew a show that is quality. Unfortunately people like idiotic reality shows. Surprise people and renew a show , that people with intellect can enjoy.

31. K C says:

Actually, the real killer(s) on this show, I think, are the writers. By the way, I would watch another season with thinking that it’s a fantasy/reality show

32. Tracie K says:

Crossing Lines is a very inteligent adult drama with international flair, really refreshing to all the run of the mill mindless shows on tv these days. Sure hope it returns, and gets some promotion to increase viewership.

33. Gail Morris says:

Crossing Lines, Not Made In America, so it can’t be any good! writers excellent, actors excellent, locations, scenery, storylines, all excellent. For goodness sake, Netflix, or Fox. someone should certainly pick this one up.