Lee Thompson Young Dead at 29; Starred on Disney Channel's Jett Jackson, Rizzoli & Isles

Get More: In Memoriam, News

Lee Thompson Young Dead at Age 29Disney Channel star turned Rizzoli & Isles cast member Lee Thompson Young was found dead at his Los Angeles apartment on Monday morning.

Per TMZ, which was first to report on the tragedy, the 29-year-old actor suffered a fatal gunshot wound that appeared to be self-inflicted.

ABC News has since confirmed Young’s death.

RELATED | How 22 TV Shows Handled a Cast Member’s Death

Production on the back half of Rizzoli’s current season was suspended Monday and possibly will take a short hiatus. A statement from TNT, Warner Bros. TV and Rizzoli & Isles EP Janet Tamaro reads as follows:

Everyone at Rizzoli & Isles is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young. We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother.

Young’s TV credits include the title role in Disney Channel’s The Famous Jett Jackson (which ran from 1998 to 2001), Scrubs, FlashForward and Smallville (where he played Cyborg). On Rizzoli, he has costarred as Detective Barry Frost since the TNT series’ pilot.

On the big screen, he played running back Chris Comer in 2004′s Friday Night Lights.

Comments (148)

• Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Such a sad tragedy. My heart is broken. He was a good actor on my favorite two shows “The Famous Jett Jackson” and “Rizzoli & Isles”. I’m gonna miss him. Gone but not forgotten.

Comment by Justin Burnell – August 19, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him as Frost! So sad……RIP

Comment by N – August 19, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember him as Cyborg on “Smallville”. He was so handsome and young. Very sad.

Comment by Carrie – August 19, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched and admired Lee’s work all the way from Jett Jackson up to Rizzoli and Isles. He is one of those quiet understated actors that I really liked that would make me tune into a show just because I liked him. He was the main reason I gave Flash Forward a try. He could easily do both comedy and drama and I think the scene of his character commiting suicide on Flash Forward is going to be playing on a loop in my head for the rest of the day. This is awful. He was almost the same age as me and I feel like someone I grew up with is gone. I am so sorry for his family and co-workers who are probably devestated right now. No matter who it is whenever someone commits suicide it leaves those behind with a sense that there should have been something that we could have done. That guilt and pain are horrible feelings. Rest In Peace Lee.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – August 19, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s sad is that a fellow human, with lots of talent and promise, felt that the only way out was to commit suicide. Who the F@## cares about a stupid ass TV show. We have really lost our moral center as a people…

Comment by Weezy – August 19, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A dear friend of mine (Michael Gilden-dwarf who was an actor – check o ut IMDB) killed himself in 2006 and it really screwed me up for a minute – not as much because he was an extraordinary man…with a terrible depression that was obvious, despite his talents. I completely agree that we’ve lost our moral compass…how could we not when we’re not willing to stand up for anything.

Comment by hijoy – August 19, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is what makes you think we have lost our moral center. I’m guessing you have never seen someone treat a living, breathing homeless person like they were invisible. Step on them, over them, or verbally abuse them for asking for a dollar. A dollar. Crime of the century. I find it hard to be compassionate towrads those few that are as fortunate as this guy and choose to toss it all away. I’m even more confounded by the number of people that have nevber met this guy that are “devestated, heartbroken, crying” whatever. Let’s be realistic, you know his characters on TV shows, not him. Instead of worrying about someone you have nevber met why don’t you put that energy into getting out from in front of your TV and helping a real person you know, or at the very least a living breathing human being in your community you can help in the flesh. Sometimes I think the majority of posters here live in a TV fantasy world and have no connection with reality.

Comment by ajintexas – August 19, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How tragic. I did not expect this at all. I grew up watching him as Jett Jackson on the Family Channel up in Canada, and as I grew up, became familiar with him through Scrubs, Smallville and Rizolli & Isles, the first two of which are among my favorite shows ever. It’s so sad when such young talent leave us so early, especially when it’s by their own hand. R.I.P. Lee.

Comment by Eric – August 19, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember his strong work on FlashForward…really brought to life one of the more compelling storylines of a mixed show.

Given where that storyline goes, though, I imagine that that will become awfully tough to watch for anyone who ever re-watches the series.

RIP to a talented man, and more importantly, to someone’s friend and son.

Comment by J – August 19, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked when my older brother told me the news, still can’t believe it. My heart goes out to his mom, his family, and his Rizzoli and Isles family. He will be truly missed.

Comment by JT – August 19, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad. Adored Frost on R&I. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family, including his R&I family.

Comment by Eliza – August 19, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God!! This really sucks. I loved Frost and his antics.

Comment by Beth Hayes – August 19, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i remember him from Jett Jackson, Johnny Tsunami, and Cyborg. Its saddening to see things like this in the news, and my reaction when i saw the article on TMZ was a gasp and a WTF.

Comment by Travis Crincoli – August 19, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I are devastated by this news. We enjoyed his portrayal of Det.Frost so very much. Heartfelt sympathy to his family

Comment by Annmarie O – August 19, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so shocked and sad to hear about this. I remember watching him on Disney Channel and Smallville. He was a good actor. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comment by Joey – August 19, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart and sorrow goes out to his parents. I am too overwhelmed.

Comment by prish – August 19, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I remember “Jett Jackson”…
    Very horrible, tragic news. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans. So awful.

Comment by Angela – August 19, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heart breaking. So sad!

Comment by Beth – August 19, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is very sad news i loved him ever since smallville, what a shame.

Comment by James D – August 19, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was an amazing talent and best prayers to his family & loved ones. So wish this wasn’t true

Comment by Scott – August 19, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like everyone else, I am stunned & so saddened by this news. His poor mom. RIP

Comment by Diane – August 19, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP. My condolences to his family, friends and the cast and crew of Rizzoli & Isles. You will be missed.

Comment by Vannesa – August 19, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So shocking and even more tragic that he took his own life. He had such a good career. Loved him In R&I. Hope Frost gets a good send off on the show.

Comment by justanotherfan – August 19, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a shock. He will be missed, so now they have to find a new partner for Rizzoli that sucks he and Angie had great chemistry together as partners. What a sad loss. If it is suicide I wonder why since he seemed to be doing well career wise.

Comment by Shannon – August 19, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m lost for words and very rarely does that happen upon hearing tmz report the news.

He was a great actor and i just cant see R&I ever being quite the same again. My thoughts are with his family, friends and the cast and crew of rizzoli and isles on this heart breaking day.

As a R&I fan i can only say he will be missed immensely and that he is now at peace. may god bless his soul. I have the utmost faith in the showrunner to write Lee how in a intelligent and respectful way. good night.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – August 19, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *I have the utmost faith in the showrunner to write Lee out, in a intelligent, dignified and respectful way for the fans of the show.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – August 19, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really makes me sad.

Comment by GoodbyeFrost – August 19, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP. It’s going to be so sad watching Rizzoli & Isles now.

Comment by Jesse – August 19, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, I didn’t know him personally, but this simply saddened me to hear on many levels.

Comment by Winnie – August 19, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. I loved The Famous Jett Jackson. RIP Lee, you will be missed.

Comment by A – August 19, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an awful summer…
    I do really like him in Rizzoli & Isles… i love the show…
    i cant understand it.
    my prayers for him and his family.

Comment by jm – August 19, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to hear. I loved The Famous Jett Jackson and never missed an episode of Rizzoli & Isles. He will be missed from the series and in life. RIP Lee

Comment by Jami – August 19, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. I remember being upset when his character committed suicide on Flash Forward. Never thought it would happen in his real life. Will miss him on R&I. He was a great actor.

Comment by Carm – August 19, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so horrible. I remember watching him on Disney when I was younger. Sending love to his poor mother.

Comment by Sam – August 19, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredibly sad news, Sometimes there just aren’t words.

Comment by Joni – August 19, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad, sad news! I was stunned to read it and even though I didn’t know him personally, it is always tragic when someone so young with such a bright future takes their own life. i cannot imagine what he must have been dealing with that led him to that point.

I first saw him on Smallville and loved him on Rizzoli and Isles. It is going to be very hard to watch the remaining episodes with him in them knowing that he is no longer with us.

Comment by Amy – August 19, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really liked him on R&I :( This is so, so sad. What is happening with celebrity deaths this year? Gosh.

Comment by Ella – August 19, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Just wow. So sad.

Comment by Melody Paris (@MelodyAKParis) – August 19, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • such a shame. had he known how many people loved him so, maybe he wouldnt have done this. its a shame when people dont know where to turn and take their lives instead. especially when there is always a chance one person could make the difference between life and death. he gave such personality to his character on r&i. i just loved the relationship between frost and rizzoli. rest in peace……………….

Comment by jan – August 19, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Condolences to his family and friends on such a tragic loss. A very good actor, he will be missed. Very sad indeed….

Comment by sladewilson – August 19, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Ene Reyes – August 19, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant believe this!! I Used To Watch Him!! This is so sad!! Rest In Peace!! We all love you , Rip Lee Thompson Young <3 Gone But Not Forgotten !! Youll Be Dearly Loved And Missed!! My Prayers Go Out To His Family And Freind, Rip Lee Thompson Young <3

Comment by Ene Reyes – August 19, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess they need a new token black guy to fill the quota on Rizzoli and Isles.

Comment by james – August 19, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely shocked. His character on R&I was really funny and enjoyable. RIP.

Comment by Polly – August 19, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh crap ! It’s not the kind of thing that you can expect… I haven’t even realized how young he was ! It’s so sad… No matter how he died, it’s still sad. May he find the rest he might have been trying to look for by doing this. My prayers and thoughts goes to his family, friends and relatives. So I guess that includes the whole cast and crew of Rizzoli & Isles.
    He seemed to be a really nice guy.

Comment by Hepha – August 19, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh this is just terrible, i am in shock… WHY? :(

Comment by Jay – August 20, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Farewell my Cyborg you will be missed.

Shocking sad news, truly lost a talented young person of colour, a very good actor . With so few young black actors on TV, it was awesome and such an honour to follow Lee’s career in so many shows my favourite being smallville and he was just such a natural charismatic actor. Something just so endearing in the way he played his characters, he was his characters and you could tell he was so down to earth too.

It hurts the most he was so young and this is the end.

Comment by CyborgLeeLover – August 20, 2013 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still so shocked and heartbroken at this news. I really love his character on R&I and he seems like he was a really sweet guy in real life too. Such a tragic loss at such a young age. The next few episodes are going to be difficult to watch….
    His family, friends, and co-workers will all be in my prayers as they face this devastating loss.

Comment by Amy – August 20, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • young hollywood please… get help if you need. Don’t use drugs or take fatal decisions.

Comment by Fernanda – August 20, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think drugs or addiction played any role in this man’s death. Mental issues are hard to treat but it all seems weird nonetheless

Comment by DDDDDC – August 20, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to learn of his death. On screen he seemed to be a real sweet person and so handsome. I loved the relationship he had with his on- screen Mother and her partner, an I hope he had tha t same relationship with his own . There will be an ache in my heart whenever I watch R&I.

Comment by Edna – August 20, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Be surely missed, RIP LEE, prayers to his family & friends

Comment by Robin Wiler – August 20, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prayers to his family & friends, RIP LEE

Comment by Chris Wiler – August 20, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it. It doesn’t seem authentic that this man committed suicide. God Bless Him regardless.

Comment by DDDDDC – August 20, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post