Lee Thompson Young Dead at 29; Starred on Disney Channel's Jett Jackson, Rizzoli & Isles

Lee Thompson Young Dead at Age 29Disney Channel star turned Rizzoli & Isles cast member Lee Thompson Young was found dead at his Los Angeles apartment on Monday morning.

Per TMZ, which was first to report on the tragedy, the 29-year-old actor suffered a fatal gunshot wound that appeared to be self-inflicted.

ABC News has since confirmed Young’s death.

RELATED | How 22 TV Shows Handled a Cast Member’s Death

Production on the back half of Rizzoli’s current season was suspended Monday and possibly will take a short hiatus. A statement from TNT, Warner Bros. TV and Rizzoli & Isles EP Janet Tamaro reads as follows:

Everyone at Rizzoli & Isles is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young. We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother.

Young’s TV credits include the title role in Disney Channel’s The Famous Jett Jackson (which ran from 1998 to 2001), Scrubs, FlashForward and Smallville (where he played Cyborg). On Rizzoli, he has costarred as Detective Barry Frost since the TNT series’ pilot.

On the big screen, he played running back Chris Comer in 2004’s Friday Night Lights.

1. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Such a sad tragedy. My heart is broken. He was a good actor on my favorite two shows “The Famous Jett Jackson” and “Rizzoli & Isles”. I’m gonna miss him. Gone but not forgotten.

2. N says:

I loved him as Frost! So sad……RIP

3. Carrie says:

I remember him as Cyborg on “Smallville”. He was so handsome and young. Very sad.

4. I’ve watched and admired Lee’s work all the way from Jett Jackson up to Rizzoli and Isles. He is one of those quiet understated actors that I really liked that would make me tune into a show just because I liked him. He was the main reason I gave Flash Forward a try. He could easily do both comedy and drama and I think the scene of his character commiting suicide on Flash Forward is going to be playing on a loop in my head for the rest of the day. This is awful. He was almost the same age as me and I feel like someone I grew up with is gone. I am so sorry for his family and co-workers who are probably devestated right now. No matter who it is whenever someone commits suicide it leaves those behind with a sense that there should have been something that we could have done. That guilt and pain are horrible feelings. Rest In Peace Lee.

5. Weezy says:

What’s sad is that a fellow human, with lots of talent and promise, felt that the only way out was to commit suicide. Who the F@## cares about a stupid ass TV show. We have really lost our moral center as a people…

• hijoy says:

A dear friend of mine (Michael Gilden-dwarf who was an actor – check o ut IMDB) killed himself in 2006 and it really screwed me up for a minute – not as much because he was an extraordinary man…with a terrible depression that was obvious, despite his talents. I completely agree that we’ve lost our moral compass…how could we not when we’re not willing to stand up for anything.

• ajintexas says:

This is what makes you think we have lost our moral center. I’m guessing you have never seen someone treat a living, breathing homeless person like they were invisible. Step on them, over them, or verbally abuse them for asking for a dollar. A dollar. Crime of the century. I find it hard to be compassionate towrads those few that are as fortunate as this guy and choose to toss it all away. I’m even more confounded by the number of people that have nevber met this guy that are “devestated, heartbroken, crying” whatever. Let’s be realistic, you know his characters on TV shows, not him. Instead of worrying about someone you have nevber met why don’t you put that energy into getting out from in front of your TV and helping a real person you know, or at the very least a living breathing human being in your community you can help in the flesh. Sometimes I think the majority of posters here live in a TV fantasy world and have no connection with reality.

6. Eric says:

How tragic. I did not expect this at all. I grew up watching him as Jett Jackson on the Family Channel up in Canada, and as I grew up, became familiar with him through Scrubs, Smallville and Rizolli & Isles, the first two of which are among my favorite shows ever. It’s so sad when such young talent leave us so early, especially when it’s by their own hand. R.I.P. Lee.

7. J says:

I remember his strong work on FlashForward…really brought to life one of the more compelling storylines of a mixed show.

Given where that storyline goes, though, I imagine that that will become awfully tough to watch for anyone who ever re-watches the series.

RIP to a talented man, and more importantly, to someone’s friend and son.

8. JT says:

I was shocked when my older brother told me the news, still can’t believe it. My heart goes out to his mom, his family, and his Rizzoli and Isles family. He will be truly missed.

9. Eliza says:

Sad. Adored Frost on R&I. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family, including his R&I family.

10. Beth Hayes says:

Oh my God!! This really sucks. I loved Frost and his antics.

11. i remember him from Jett Jackson, Johnny Tsunami, and Cyborg. Its saddening to see things like this in the news, and my reaction when i saw the article on TMZ was a gasp and a WTF.

12. Annmarie O says:

My husband and I are devastated by this news. We enjoyed his portrayal of Det.Frost so very much. Heartfelt sympathy to his family

13. Joey says:

I’m so shocked and sad to hear about this. I remember watching him on Disney Channel and Smallville. He was a good actor. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

14. prish says:

My heart and sorrow goes out to his parents. I am too overwhelmed.

15. Angela says:

Man, I remember “Jett Jackson”…
    Very horrible, tragic news. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans. So awful.

16. Beth says:

Heart breaking. So sad!

17. James D says:

this is very sad news i loved him ever since smallville, what a shame.

18. Scott says:

He was an amazing talent and best prayers to his family & loved ones. So wish this wasn’t true

19. Diane says:

Like everyone else, I am stunned & so saddened by this news. His poor mom. RIP

20. Vannesa says:

RIP. My condolences to his family, friends and the cast and crew of Rizzoli & Isles. You will be missed.

21. justanotherfan says:

So shocking and even more tragic that he took his own life. He had such a good career. Loved him In R&I. Hope Frost gets a good send off on the show.

22. Shannon says:

This is a shock. He will be missed, so now they have to find a new partner for Rizzoli that sucks he and Angie had great chemistry together as partners. What a sad loss. If it is suicide I wonder why since he seemed to be doing well career wise.

23. I’m lost for words and very rarely does that happen upon hearing tmz report the news.

He was a great actor and i just cant see R&I ever being quite the same again. My thoughts are with his family, friends and the cast and crew of rizzoli and isles on this heart breaking day.

As a R&I fan i can only say he will be missed immensely and that he is now at peace. may god bless his soul. I have the utmost faith in the showrunner to write Lee how in a intelligent and respectful way. good night.

24. GoodbyeFrost says:

This really makes me sad.

25. Jesse says:

RIP. It’s going to be so sad watching Rizzoli & Isles now.

26. Winnie says:

No, I didn’t know him personally, but this simply saddened me to hear on many levels.

27. A says:

So sad. I loved The Famous Jett Jackson. RIP Lee, you will be missed.

28. jm says:

What an awful summer…
    I do really like him in Rizzoli & Isles… i love the show…
    i cant understand it.
    my prayers for him and his family.

29. Jami says:

So sad to hear. I loved The Famous Jett Jackson and never missed an episode of Rizzoli & Isles. He will be missed from the series and in life. RIP Lee

30. Carm says:

This is so sad. I remember being upset when his character committed suicide on Flash Forward. Never thought it would happen in his real life. Will miss him on R&I. He was a great actor.

31. Sam says:

This is so horrible. I remember watching him on Disney when I was younger. Sending love to his poor mother.

32. Joni says:

Incredibly sad news, Sometimes there just aren’t words.

33. Amy says:

Such sad, sad news! I was stunned to read it and even though I didn’t know him personally, it is always tragic when someone so young with such a bright future takes their own life. i cannot imagine what he must have been dealing with that led him to that point.

I first saw him on Smallville and loved him on Rizzoli and Isles. It is going to be very hard to watch the remaining episodes with him in them knowing that he is no longer with us.

34. Ella says:

Really liked him on R&I :( This is so, so sad. What is happening with celebrity deaths this year? Gosh.

35. jan says:

such a shame. had he known how many people loved him so, maybe he wouldnt have done this. its a shame when people dont know where to turn and take their lives instead. especially when there is always a chance one person could make the difference between life and death. he gave such personality to his character on r&i. i just loved the relationship between frost and rizzoli. rest in peace……………….

36. sladewilson says:

Condolences to his family and friends on such a tragic loss. A very good actor, he will be missed. Very sad indeed….

37. Ene Reyes says:

38. Ene Reyes says:

I cant believe this!! I Used To Watch Him!! This is so sad!! Rest In Peace!! We all love you , Rip Lee Thompson Young <3 Gone But Not Forgotten !! Youll Be Dearly Loved And Missed!! My Prayers Go Out To His Family And Freind, Rip Lee Thompson Young <3

39. james says:

I guess they need a new token black guy to fill the quota on Rizzoli and Isles.

40. Polly says:

Completely shocked. His character on R&I was really funny and enjoyable. RIP.

41. Hepha says:

Oh crap ! It’s not the kind of thing that you can expect… I haven’t even realized how young he was ! It’s so sad… No matter how he died, it’s still sad. May he find the rest he might have been trying to look for by doing this. My prayers and thoughts goes to his family, friends and relatives. So I guess that includes the whole cast and crew of Rizzoli & Isles.
    He seemed to be a really nice guy.

42. Jay says:

Oh gosh this is just terrible, i am in shock… WHY? :(

43. CyborgLeeLover says:

Farewell my Cyborg you will be missed.

Shocking sad news, truly lost a talented young person of colour, a very good actor . With so few young black actors on TV, it was awesome and such an honour to follow Lee’s career in so many shows my favourite being smallville and he was just such a natural charismatic actor. Something just so endearing in the way he played his characters, he was his characters and you could tell he was so down to earth too.

It hurts the most he was so young and this is the end.

44. Amy says:

Still so shocked and heartbroken at this news. I really love his character on R&I and he seems like he was a really sweet guy in real life too. Such a tragic loss at such a young age. The next few episodes are going to be difficult to watch….
    His family, friends, and co-workers will all be in my prayers as they face this devastating loss.

45. Fernanda says:

young hollywood please… get help if you need. Don’t use drugs or take fatal decisions.

• DDDDDC says:

I don’t think drugs or addiction played any role in this man’s death. Mental issues are hard to treat but it all seems weird nonetheless

46. Edna says:

So sad to learn of his death. On screen he seemed to be a real sweet person and so handsome. I loved the relationship he had with his on- screen Mother and her partner, an I hope he had tha t same relationship with his own . There will be an ache in my heart whenever I watch R&I.

47. Robin Wiler says:

Be surely missed, RIP LEE, prayers to his family & friends

48. Chris Wiler says:

Prayers to his family & friends, RIP LEE

49. DDDDDC says:

I don’t get it. It doesn’t seem authentic that this man committed suicide. God Bless Him regardless.