Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Demi Lovato Poised to Join Season 5 Cast for Major Arc as Rachel's [Spoiler]

Demi Lovato GleeGlee is adding a little X appeal in Season 5.

Actress-singer and X Factor judge Demi Lovato has signed on to join the Fox musical dramedy’s upcoming fifth season for a significant arc, TVLine has learned exclusively.

According to sources, Lovato (who turns 21 on Tuesday) will play Dani, a NYC-based struggling artist friend of Rachel and Santana’s. She will also interact frequently with Adam Lambert’s incoming character, and the pair will have several musical numbers together.

VIDEOFirst Glee Season 5 Trailer Accentuates the Positive

Lovato’s deal calls for her to appear in at least six episodes, beginning with the second part of the show’s Beatles’ tribute, airing Oct. 3. (Glee will work around Lovato’s X Factor schedule.)

The Glee gig marks Lovato’s first major acting role since her Disney Channel series Sonny with a Chance went off the air two years ago. Additional acting credits include the Camp Rock films and episodes of Prison Break and Grey’s Anatomy.

RELATED | Glee Boss Ryan Murphy Shares First Details of Cory Monteith Tribute Episode, Reveals How Finn Won’t Die

Expect Fox to maximize the cross-promotional opportunities, what with X Factor‘s results show leading into Glee on Thursdays this fall. (I’m calling the tagline: “It’s Demi X 2!”)

Glee returns with Season 5 on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c.

1. Ebeth says:

Ugh! I can’t stand her on my radio and now she’s going to be on one of my favorite tv shows. :-/

2. Amy says:

A female friend for Rachel! YES!!!!!! Plus just the idea of Demi singing with Lea and Naya sounds amazing. We need duets and trios for their great voices.

3. lorna says:

Why cant they just stay with the cast that we all know and love? – Glee is good enough, there is no need to add currently popular artists to the show….

4. Sean C. says:

She and Santana are going to be singing “Here Comes the Sun”, apparently.

5. heyang says:

I’ll wait and see. Some guests (i.e. Idina Menzel – she did not sing in every single epsiode that she appeared in) are woven in less obstrusively than others (i.e. Kristen Chenoworth – she sang almost every song in each episode she appeared in ).

I didn’t mind Kate Hudson’s appearances and on the fence as related to SJP.

Absolutely hated the Ricky Martin episode, but that was more about Wil’s identitiy crisis vs the guest.

• not the focus says:

I agree if they are there to enhance/support the characters of Rachel, Santana and Kurt then ok but please don’t make it about them.

6. Just sayin' says:

Well…let’s put sentiments behind and just admit Demi’s a terrific singer. Her voice and singing technique has matured over the years and I’m sure she’ll do great on the show. She just have to bring in her acting skills( and I’m sure she’ll do great here too)…just sayin’

7. Allie says:

I’d be mad that there will be another person joining the cast, if it wasn’t Demi Lovato. Plus she’s supposed to be Santana’s new love interest.

8. Emma says:

AWSOME, I’M SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED

9. Bex says:

Demi is too Disney for Glee. As much as they try to shake it, they will always be Disney Princesses. At least she hasn’t gone all Miley. She’s not gunna do anything for the ratings. I’ll be watching it but it just won’t be the same…

10. Taylor says:

In my opinion I’m kinda glad they’re adding new characters. I just like seeing newer and fresher faces. Having same old same old can be a little boring at times :/

11. Emelia74 says:

Glee was best when the cast was relatively unknown. Bringing in well-known actors and actresses with a reputation is not good for the show. It’s going downhill fast which is sad because it was such a good show. Love Lea.

12. John says:

Jumping the shark!

13. Alana says:

The newbies aren’t as bad as everyone claims. I think had they been the original cast, they would be loved as the original cast has been. However, since they’re not the originals, people are going to automatically hold that against them and compare the two. Having said that, it’s important to remember that the originals who have left wanted to do so.

As for Demi coming on, I think it’s a great idea. She’s a talented singer and actress and has experience with the sort of choreography that the show will require, and the fact that she already has an established fan base can’t hurt either. I also love the idea of introducing some new New York characters–it’d be unrealistic for Rachel, Kurt, and Santana to move off to New York and not develop other friendships. I think that the fact that it’s a multi-episode arc also makes the fact that it is stunt casting a little less blatant, à la Britney Spears’s appearance in her tribute episode. I think Demi is definitely going to be an asset to the show, not just because she’s Demi Lovato, but because she has an incredible voice unlike any other on the show right now. And isn’t that what matters?

14. simon says:

Adam Lambert in Glee = Richard Grieco in 21 Jump Street

15. not particularly a fan of Demi, but I don’t dislike her either.. anybody’s a better choice than Adam Lambert, she’s atleast talented. but I wish they’d stop worrying about guest stars and focus on the actual cast.

16. Haneen says:

Seriously? This is stupid i dont see demi being in glee -.- she has a good singing voice but def not better than naya or lea this is the worst thing glee has ever done .cory, mark amber dianna are all out.. Seriously what is left from the glee we loved?

17. tem que ser mais episodios porque só seis é pouco
    bota ela em pelo menos 12

18. Mena says:

I just read the nominees for The Emmys. Glee was not nominated, which it didn’t deserve it. No leads were nominated. Only Jane was nominated for supporting actress of a comedy. She barely deserved it. She made her material funny and interesting. I hope for Glee’s sake that they listen to the critics and awards shows as of the last 3 seasons to realize that the content of Glee is not memorable. Especially, season 4. That was forgettable. My opinion.

19. Kayla says:

I never really liked watching Glee, but if Demi Lovato is going to be on the show, I’ll watch it! Lovatic for life! <3

20. Rahman says:

Demi is a great singer, no doubt whatsoever. However, more attention should be given to Rachel,kurt and Santana

21. Dhee says:

I think I’m just one of the fans who needs to see more of the original characters that made me fall in love with the show like Naya and Rachel. I’m not gonna tell how the writers should do their job. I’m still gonna watch Glee and support it. That’s the thrill of being a viewer, not knowing what the writers could do to the character next. Can’t wait for them to play and experiment with the storyline.

22. Evelyn says:

I stopped watching it last season and I’m not gonna watch this season either, and I had been a viewer since the first episode aired. Sorry but, Demi should stick to her poor auto tune singing.

23. Sally Appleton says:

Adam Lambert was on the musical theater stage before his music career took off. In fact his Broadway voice was one of the stupid things the American Idol judges gave him crap about. He KNOWS how to act and if he goes over the top like Lea Michele tends to do they can just write it off as him being a wannabe Broadway bound star. Demi has also been acting from a very young age, she’s also been singing for a while now and has proven she can sing live for years. Lea Michele more talented than Demi? I don’t think so, maybe on Broadway but on TV and as recording artists Demi has the upper hand. Lea Michele being the only one who could hold her own weight with Adam Lambert in a duet? Not even, I think he would overpower her.

To each their own but I just can’t wait to see the stories these two will be getting. PS since when did Glee ever have a direct storyline?

24. Stéphanie says:

I think it’s a great idea. It’ll be interesting to watch. I’m happy that Santana gets a love interest and Rachel gets a new friend. And as for the people moaning about the fact that they chose someone famous for the role, they must’ve also chosen her because she is great friends with the cast. She’s known Chord and Kevin since she was young so that must have something to do with it too. I think people should give the new “New Directions” a chance. They’re amazing too. And to the people claiming Lea is better than Demi, not true. They are equally as talented. Lea just has a more broadway voice and Demi has a voice for pop music. But both can emote so well into singing a song. Their ability to emote is very rare in this industry. Singers nowaday just sing for the money and don’t show much emotion. You can see that these two women have a passion for what they do ! I’m gonna watch Glee till it’s finished.