Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmys 2013 Best Actor ComedyCall it a massive snub. Call it a cosmic course correction. Whatever your take, it’s a plain fact that Two and a Half Men‘s Jon Cryer, the 2012 Emmy winner for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, isn’t even in the hunt this year.

Four of the men Cryer vanquished last time around — 30 Rock‘s Alec Baldwin, House of Lies‘ Don Cheadle, The Big Bang Theory‘s Jim Parsons and Louie‘s Louis C.K. — will use the opportunity to try to add a statuette to the mantle following the Sept. 22 ceremony. (Don’t feel too anxious for Parsons or Baldwin, though, as the duo respectively triumphed in the Lead Comedy Actor race in 2010-2011 and 2008-2009.)

Rounding out the 2013 category are a pair of fellas who, while they weren’t eligible in 2012, are probably experiencing a bit of deja vu anyway: Episodes‘ Matt LeBlanc (a nominee in 2011, and three prior times for his stint on Friends) and Arrested Development‘s Jason Bateman (nominated back in 2005 during his series’ initial run on Fox).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Petra says:

I will campaign for Episodes until it wins an Emmy, dammit. I’m glad Matt got recognized at all though!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I like that show a lot too, and I think Matt is great in it. I just wish he had made a better Emmy submission. His episode is the second one of the season where he tries to give them the cars, and I don’t think you see enough of him in that episode. There are a few other episodes I can think of that if he had submitted, he would have had a shot.

• Petra says:

Man I’ll have to rewatch that season. It’s been about a year since it aired so I’m a little fuzzy on the specifics. I remember him giving them the cars but I don’t remember the rest of that episode. But yeah, picking a poor episode submission really can be your downfall, unfortunately. :/

(I heard something last year about Zooey and Max Greenfield’s submissions getting switched around accidentally? That probably didn’t help their chances…)

2. LaLa says:

Is House of Lies really considered to be a comedy, though? OK, maybe a dramedy . . . I can’t see Don Cheadle in the hunt, but I LOVE the show.

3. Sarah says:

As much as I love Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, none of the above. Should have been Jake Johnson.

4. Brendan says:

My vote goes to LeBlanc.
    Also, I wasn’t even aware House of lies was a comedy?

5. Adam says:

They will probably just give it to Balwin. As will they with 30 rock and Tina Fey.

6. John DeMayo says:

Really? I’m the biggest Big Bang Theory fan around… but I don’t think Jim Parsons deserves the win this season. What did he do to make him more deserving than Alec Baldwin’s wonderful last performance on 30 Rock?

• Laura says:

He showed up for work and didn’t act like a dick. Case closed. Parsons for the win.

• S. says:

I was gonna argue with you, but then I remembered that’s pretty much why Jon Cryer got his recognition. Being the person holding up the show in the midst of crazy behind the scenes stuff. That said, Alec’s not been causing drama on his show, just in his personal life and in the most recent case the show was off the air. He’s a terrific actor but not a nice person if you make him mad. Louis CK deserves this. His episode submission was really moving. “Louie” deserves to win Comedy Series too.

• John DeMayo says:

Alec Baldwin was nothing but professional on the set of 30 Rock. Nothing in his personal life should detract from his body of WORK. Heck, I’d have a temper too if paparazzi were throwing cameras in my face 24/7. Don’t get me wrong… I’m a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory and LOVE Jim Parsons. Any other year, he should win. But Alec absolutely killed it in his final season on 30 Rock, and simply must be recognized for it.

• I’d have to rank Baldwin’s performance 6th out of 6th in this underwhelming list…. and I don’t even watch Louie, Episoedes, or House of Lies.

Jack Donaghy was always more a characture than a character, and 30 Rock was really on cruise control since sometime around season 4. There was a bit of an uptick at the very end, but too little, too late.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Alec Baldwin didn’t submit the finale though. He submitted A Goon’s Deed in a Weary World as his episode, so that’s what they’re going to be judging off of. Not a good episode to submit, in my opinion. He’s barely in it.

7. erin says:

I would love for Don Cheadle, Matt LeBlanc, or Jason Bateman to win, but as long as it’s not the Big Bang guy I’m happy.

8. John says:

The important thing to remember when it comes to best actor/actress categories is that while you may not be a fan of a respective show, you can’t deny the performance of the actors.
    That being said, I am not the biggest fan of Parks & Rec, but I believe that Adam Scott should at least be nominated & probably even win this category. Same goes for Joel McHale & Jake Johnson; they should at least be nominated even though not everyone watches Community or likes New Girl. Alec Bladwin has had his time & has his Emmys, Don Cheadle is a great actor, but can you really consider House of Lies a true comedy? And while I watch TBBT religiously, IMHO, Simon Helberg should the sole TBBT actor nominated for an Emmy, not Jim Parsons.

• Ellie says:

I cannot remember if Simon Helberg is nom for a supporting actor, but I hope he is. his character has been building and building and the last two seasons, he has blown me away with his growth, humor and depth! He really deserves recognition!

9. Annie says:

None of the above. Should have been New Girl’s Jake Johnson.

• Rain says:

I just rewatched “Chicago” last night and have to say Jake Johnson is just perfect on New Girl. I don’t understand why they overlook him!

10. Joe says:

ok this big bang theory stuff is getting ridiculous, most over rated show on tv

• John DeMayo says:

The problem with The Big Bang Theory is that its best seasons were seasons 1 through 4… back when it wasn’t the most watched comedy on TV. On Seasons 5 and 6, they’ve gotten too far away from what made the show funny and unique in the first place… and have focused too much on generic relationship storylines.

• Kc says:

Couldn’t agree more, while I still love Big Bang the seasons 1-3 were the best. Nominations now are not nearly as deserved as earlier. With the notable exception of Simon. I hate when the Emmys finally catch up and it is usually too late

• N says:

Jim Parsons deserves this Emmy and more. He is able to make a not-so-friendly, unlikealbe character seem completely believable and hysterical, at that. I disagree with everyone that says the relationships are the weakest part of the show. I think each couple shows the tremendous growth of each character over the last 6 seasons. The show demonstrates how a group of unsocialable geeks can find love and the way they continue to go about in their relationships. There is a reason why Jim Parsons has nearly half of the votes on this poll. Brilliance.

• profanetruth says:

He’s so one dimensional it hurts me. I love the show, and I’m yet to watch ‘Episodes’ but till I do, the award deserves to go to Louie, funnier, better lead, the story actually focuses on him. Louis C.K. all day.

• John DeMayo says:

Agree with everything you say here… but the problem is that the show wasn’t very strong this season… and in turn, Parsons didn’t have strong material. Did he still knock it out of the park? Yeah, of course he did. But there are people on this list who had better material and acted it out just as well. Alec Baldwin in his final season of 30 Rock, for example.

11. Austin says:

Rooting for Jason Bateman. This season of Arrested Development may have been the worst but I still think he deserves an Emmy for his work.

12. Justin says:

Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell should’ve submitted for Lead, but I guess that ship has sailed now…

13. HAP says:

The most hilarious performer of the year- Johnnie Lee Miller

14. Timmah says:

I think Louie’s show is better, but Parsons is a better comic actor.

15. With the exception of Louie (which I can say I have nto seen), none were exceptional this year, infact they went and picked the three big names proving that EMMY voters do not watch television, if they did this line-up would be very different, that being said I love Jason Bateman so wouldn’t mind him winning but as a TV fan I wish EMMY voters were too!

16. rachel says:

Jake Johnson…oh wait, he was snubbed.

17. NPk says:

Alec Baldwin wont win this year. And if Louis CK is going to win, that is only because he’s a favourite for many people, not because of his acting in his submitted ep.

18. Dave says:

It should pretty much go to anyone besides Jim Parsons who doesn’t even deserve to be nominated, let alone deserve the Emmys he’s already won. It would be really nice to see Matt LeBlanc take it.

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

Louis C.K. got my vote, but pain would not hurt me if Matt LeBlanc or Jason Bateman won. I’m not sure any of those three can win though. Matt LeBlanc chose badly for his episode submission, Arrested Development was too polarizing this year (though I personally loved it), and Louie…well, Louie is kind of polarizing too. Not a lot of people “get” the show. Plus since I got my heart broken last year on Louis C.K. not winning, I’m too afraid to hope for it being a possibility this year, though I have seen a lot of pundits predicting him for the win. He chose Daddy’s Girlfriend part 1 as his episode submission, which to me is not really the strongest choice though it’s a great episode. If he had chosen New Year’s Eve instead, then maybe I could be talked into a Louis C.K. win happening because I think you would have to be made of stone to not scream with laughter over the scene with the doll. Not to mention how profoundly sad he makes you feel in the scene where Liz dies, and you can feel his loneliness, and then how much your heart swells with happiness for him at the end of the episode when he makes it to the Yangtze River and gets to have a true human connection with other people. (Off topic, how on earth did that show have the budget to go film in China? I am nearly certain that is actually China they are in at the end.) You truly feel the moment in this episode when his holiday blues and his loneliness go away. C.K. deserves the award this year, but I just don’t know if he can win it from Daddy’s Girlfriend pt. 1.
    That being said, I’ve steeled myself. for the eventual Jim Parsons’ win and even have him picked for it because the Emmys are pretty predictable sometimes. It’s best to just mentally prepare myself for it and then I can be happily surprised if someone else wins.

20. Ruby says:

If Alec Baldwin wins this AGAIN I swear my head is gonna pop. I suspect Louis CK will win this year though, he seems to be the flavor of the month right now.

21. nick1372 says:

Jim Parsons does a great job with a sometimes mediocre script, so in my opinion, he should win. I haven’t seen all of the nominees so I won’t say he unconditionally needs to win, but in my experience, he’s the best.

22. DanielleZ says:

Jim Parsons. He deserves it this time.

23. Cool Beans says:

It should be Garret Dillahunt from Raising Hope.

24. Lisa says:

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!!

25. ellepop says:

Matt LeBlanc is brilliant.