Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmys 2013 Guest Actor ComedyThe six men competing for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series will almost undoubtedly be at their dapper best come Emmy night, but is there any stopping the funnyman who, in his spare time, scored a major radio hit with a song called “Suit and Tie”?

That’ll be the question looming over this year’s race, as actor-singer Justin Timberlake — who took home the statuette in 2009 and 2011 for his last two Saturday Night Live guest-host gigs — will try to make it a three-peat at the 2013 ceremony.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

In order to pull off the hat trick, Timberlake will have to get past Nurse Jackie‘s Bobby Canavale, who’s nominated in the Guest Actor race for the second straight year, as well as Nathan Lane, who took a one-year hiatus but got a nod for his turn as Modern Family‘s Pepper Saltzman back in 2011.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

Two other nominees this year are veterans of the Emmy wars, but are celebrating their first nods in the Guest Comedy Actor category: Bob Newhart (up for a spot on The Big Bang Theory) and Louis C.K. (recognized for his stint hosting Saturday Night Live).

Rounding out the field is 30 Rock‘s Will Forte, whose only prior Emmy nod — in 1998 — was not as an actor, but as a writer for Late Show with David Letterman.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. brycealexander says:

Omg once again I hate these choices.

2. Austin says:

Bob Newhart deserves the Emmy that he never got.

3. discopunkk says:

Can I ask just one question?

What is a “querstion”?

4. cjeffery7 says:

he’ll never get it, but will forte’s Paul a.k.a. Jenna Maroney has been nailing it since his first appearance.

5. Waage says:

Yet again it’s the fart joke show in the lead… damn

• Zach says:

There really aren’t many fart jokes on the show. It’s from the creator of the fart joke show. I’ll admit The Big Bang Theory has its flaws, but fart jokes isn’t one of them. Two and a Half Men on the other hand…

• Daw Johnson says:

The irony being that Louis CK, who I’d assume would have more support than someone from TBBT among critical types, has vehemently defended fart jokes.

“You don’t have to be smart to laugh at farts, but you’d have to be stupid not to.”

I don’t like TBBT, and I frankly don’t love “fart jokes.” But you act like Saturday Night Live is not lower-brow than Big Bang Theory, which is crazy.

“Dick in a Box” (and many of JT’s SNL jokes over the years) was hilarious, but it’s a penis joke. Not sophisticated.

6. Justin Timberlake (latest inductee of the Five Timers Club).

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

The lack of love for Louis C.K. in these polls makes me so sad. He’s got so many nominations this year I bet he walks away with a couple new Emmys though. But this category probably won’t be one of them. They probably go with Justin Timberlake again. Though pain would not hurt me if they gave it to Bob Newhart even if it he did debase himself by going on TBBT. He’s still aces in my book. Ugh, but the honorary Emmy in this category should be for David Lynch for Louie. I’m still mad about that missed nomination.

• Daw Johnson says:

Louis CK is awesome, but he was NOT great on SNL. Outside of the Linc-y sketch, he was never comfortable on the show and was in the bottom half of hosts for the year.

8. Nat says:

I can see Bob Newhart getting it as nostalgia factor/feel he’s owed, but his BBT appearance was just OK. I’d give it to Justin personally.

• I have to agree. Newhart will probably get it based on nostalgic love, but his turn on TBBT was just ok, where as Timberlake was brilliant.

• DarkDefender says:

I also agree. The Newhart episode was lackluster (in spite of his appearance) and Timberlake has yet to have a bad night hosting SNL… A feat not many can achieve.

• webuiltthepyramids says:

just posted something similar about newhart and jt. thought i was the only one who felt this way about the icon’s big bang guesting. it was, frankly, disappointing to me. and although i enjoyed a sublime break from aff with that ep, i was constantly stressed that newhart was getting more and more exhausted with every scene that i wanted to hug him through the tv.

• You can give it to Justin,but the TV Academy will finally do the right thing and hand it to Mr. Newhart.

9. Joe says:

Louis ck or will forte, however David Lynch not being nominated for his stint on Louie is a crime

10. Eddie says:

I imagine Louis C.K. will win lead actor (or at least he should!) & I can see 30 rock already winning quite a few. I don’t watch Big Bang or Modern Family because I have an IQ if more than 10. Bobby Cannavale also already has a nom for drama category. Which leaves Justin Timberlake, which wouldn’t be a terrible choice as his episode was the funniest of the season IMO. So yeah, Justin Timberlake.

11. LynnH says:

Wondering how Bobby Cannavale was overlooked for his performance as “Gyp Rosetti” on Boardwalk Empire? I doubt that viewers will ever forget that character.

• Shoes says:

Are you stupid? He wasn’t overlooked. he was nominated for supporting in a drama! You’re an idiot!

• LynnH says:

Are you on steroids? If I’ve overlooked something then just say so. Your passive aggressive response is uncalled for.

• Shoes says:

It’s funny how you yourself have said you’ve overlooked something while you accuse another of overlooking. And I gave you a passive aggressive comment because before you say something, get your facts right.

• LynnH says:

What is wrong with you? I didn’t know I’d overlooked sonething, obviously. I made a comnent on a blog site. I wasn’t writing a headline story for the NY Tines. I completely missed Bobby’s nom. I see that now. Good luck with your aggression issues.

12. Belle says:

And the Emmy goes to…JT!

13. Ty says:

It’s like the people who choose these nominees only watch a few shows; Modern Family, BBT, Saturday Night Live, and 30 Rock, repeat. No wonder some many shows get multiple nominations. What about Ron Leibman’s role in Archer, or Joan Cusack in Shameless?

14. Cheryl says:

James Roday

15. The Beach says:

Nurse Jackie is not a comedy and Cannavale’s role in it was anything but comedic.

16. webuiltthepyramids says:

i LOVE bob newhart. i grew up on newhart reruns, and its finale is still one of the best in tv history, as far as i’m concerned. that said, is it just me thinking that bob newhart wasn’t at all funny (disappointing, actuallly) on tbbt, and all the recognition is just due to respect for his iconic status in hollyweird? the betty white syndrome, i call it. having respect for these wonderful trailblazers is different from still having respect for their recent work.

• suzi says:

I love Newhart as well, and have enjoyed both his shows in reruns. That said, I thought his appearance on TBBT was wonderful, a very funny part of a very funny episode. Betty White Syndrome—does that mean you don’t think she is capable, or funny now? I understand what you’re saying (John Wayne’s True Grit Oscar comes to mind), but in my opinion, Newhart and White are still doing what they have always done—make people laugh.

17. Lauren says:

I really think if any host from SNL was nominated, it should have been Seth Macfarlane. I feel like it’s probably going to go to Bob Newhart which is fine, his timing is still impeccable.

18. dee123 says:

No Timberlake. He’s all ready getting the MTV vanguard award WHEN HE DOESN’T DESERVE IT!

• Mikael says:

I agree. He’s only on his 3rd album if you don’t count his Nsync days. Let’s see if he’s still around in 10 years. Didn’t they give it to Britney a couple years ago? Now, I’m a massive Britney fan but I still think it was too early for something like that. I guess these days 10 years in the industry is an accomplishment, instead of the days of Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna, etc. where they were making hits for twice that long, and some are still around.

19. I adore Bob Newhart, but like others mentioned, he was just ok.
    Of the ones listened, I would give it to Will Forte.

20. Zoe says:

I got nothing but love for Bobby Canavale, Louis and JT. I’m okay with any one of them winning. Honestly, I’m a little disappointed that Martin Short wasn’t nominated- his SNL hosting gig was the best of the season, IMHO.

21. cas says:

What’s with everyone being on the JT bandwagon these days? I mean I like him as an actor, not so much for his music, but I find it hard to believe they didn’t have any better guest stars this season in a comedy. Then again, I can’t believe SNL is still on so there is that.

22. Bob says:

For pure talent, Timberlake. For sentimentality, Newhart.

• Winner Bob Newhart.I’m also thinking about both Justin Timberlake and Louis CK,too.Louis CK can win in the best actor comedy series and writing categories and Justin Timberlake or JT to anyone who’s a fan (I’m not)can sit back and let a REAL performance win(Bob Newhart)in this category.That goes for Bobby Canavale and Nathan Lane,too.

• You’re a little confused Bob ,for sentimentality and PURE TALENT, Newhart