Glee Season 5 Teaser Accentuates the Positive

The first teaser promo for Glee‘s upcoming fifth season puts an emphasis on happier times.

What’s there: upbeat music, footage from last season, lots of smiles. What’s not: scenes including star Cory Monteith, who died from a toxic mix of drugs and alcohol in July, or any mention of the tribute episode the show is planning in his honor.

RELATEDGlee Likely to End After Season 6, Unless…

Creator Ryan Murphy recently told TVLine that the musical series will return with two Beatles-themed episodes, followed by one that honors Monteith and his character, Finn.

Glee returns to Fox on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c.

Press PLAY on the video below, then hit the comments with your thoughts about the forthcoming season.

1. erica says:

glad to see they’re keeping the upbeat nature.

• Matt says:

And so should be the show. Dump the depressing NY scenes and let’s go back to bully the Lima kids.

• Shazzer says:

I just don’t think I can bring myself to watch it with them killing of Corey’s Finn, it’s so against the character. Maybe I’ll pick it up on Netflix in a few years, but not this year.

2. annie sisk says:

I don’t know why but I just don’t have a good feeling about this.

3. katie says:

If the tribute is good and respectful then I’ll watch the rest of the season. The first two episodes can be whatever they want, but the third will make the decision for me. The writing last season wasn’t great so they need to prove that they can still pull it off when it matters, and that episode matters.

• MrMank says:

How ’bout the writing from season 2 on wasn’t even good?

• I have to presume from your comment that you’ve watched “from season 2 on”. If that is the case, you are a masochist or a liar. Which is it?

• Anne says:

Why so hostile? I know plenty of people who watch bad shows as sort of a guilty pleasure. You can watch a show and still acknowledge it’s not that well written.

• MrMank says:

I actually wouldn’t consider that hostile. I was simply pointing out a fact. I myself have tuned into guilty pleasures myself (Sharknado, anyone? Or anything involving Eliza Dushku doing a lot of running?). My point was simply to say that Ryan Murphy has a knack for not being able to write for the same characters over long periods of time. And if Glee isn’t evidence of that, check out seasons 3-6 of Nip/Tuck…TRULY awful!! His one saving grace seems to be American Horror Story, which works for him because there’s a new storyline every 13 episodes.

4. Tinman says:

Gonna be a weird one…

5. Gabe says:

If Blaine and Sam, one played a mediocre actor whose character sings way too much and the other, another mediocre actor whose character changes every episode, are the the only positive things they can muster up, they’re really going to have a lot of trouble for Season 5. Oh wait, was there Jake and Marley in there too? I don’t remember because I was falling asleep by then.

• Keith W. says:

Except for Artie and a few adults the rest of cast at Mck is boring as dirt. The acting and singing is mediocre at best. Sure some of the original kids cast weren’t great actors but they had other strong actors with them to pull them along. Now you just have one mediocre actor after the next trying to make mediocre writing work. Now the 3 best actors are bunch together in NY (which doesn’t get enough time) and the other one has passed away.

• Cheri says:

This is the biggest understatement there is about Glee. Glee has tried to go with lesser quality actors with singing talent and it shows in Glee lesser quality. Especially when season 4 forced 75% of the season Lima centric stories about the new Rachel, Blaine. He will never hold a candle to the talents of Lea Michele and Cory Monteith. Cory’s death is definitely going to affect the quality of Glee because his character was the grounded one who fit the mold of the majority of people in society. Glee will never be as good as it was, season 4 they squandered the entire season on BS stories about the new New Directions and their leaders. Season 5 will be the telling season of Glee’s future. Personally, it won’t and shouldn’t make it. Because it isn’t good anymore.

• Eddie says:

Cory talented. Sorry but those two words don’t match. Before his tragic demise, people used to bash him terribly, and everyone has said that his singing was good at best. Don’t get me started on his dancing abilities. Plus, the new kids were really nice. NY wasn’t all that good.

• Agnes says:

Cheri was talking about Cory’s acting ability. Say what you will about his singing and dancing, but Cory was one of the best actors in the cast.

6. Amy says:

I’m more put off by two Beatles themed episodes. I’d think one would be enough.

• scooby says:

They have 27 #1 hit songs. Why would you think a half dozen in one episode would be enough to cover the great music? Britney got 2 eps. People need to not base their opinion of the Beatles on the butchering done by Idol. These will probably be the most expensive eps in Glee history from the cost of the music clearance alone. I wonder if they were able to get a lower rate for going for it all at once.

7. D says:

I hate to say it, but i think all are clips from last season

• Danyelle says:

I’m pretty sure it said as much in the 2nd sentence. (Checking…) Yep, it did.

• Cheri says:

They are just showing that they intend to have fun and positive atmosphere this season. Well, they need to look at the drama crap of season 4. Way too much of it and unnecessary either.

8. pj says:

I hope they don’t pretend that Finn ever existed. He played an important role in several characters lives. If after ep. 3, they have Rachel go on with her life as if he never existed that will be the end of Glee for me. Blaine is not the answer to filling Finn’s shoes, Darren does not have the acting abilities to carry the amount of screentime he Is already given. And the Jarley couple is so boring, so what is left

• Jefie says:

I don’t see why there would pretend Finn never existed but at the same time they can’t dwell on it forever either.

• Trent says:

I think that’s actually the problem they will have this season. If they dwell on it too much it will be depressing, but just glossing over it will seem insincere. I don’t want to see the characters moping all season, but I also don’t want them just moving on like nothing happened. Sadly Glee can’t really do subtle so I fear it will be one or the other.

• Chris says:

I agree. Glee will most likely get criticism for not knowing how to handle Finn after episode 3. Finn was a big character and also so much a part of Rachel. Without him, there’ll be an emptiness there that they’ll have to deal with. After episode 3, they’ll probably either stay on him too much or gloss over him. I feel it’ll be the latter. They’ll have their tribute and to not dampen the mood of episodes after, it’ll be like Finn never existed.

9. Ihatemorons says:

Well, this is what happens when you stop believing. Maybe they could show Cory in the piano room composing or decomposing if you will.

10. love all says:

Was Cory not available for this? I have a feeling they are going to try to write him out of the show

11. OnceFan316 says:

Well the Tribute Episode isn’t tell Episode 3

12. give them a break says:

Why would they have Cory in the this first teaser? He won’t be in season 5 that is the truth. I have already heard people bitching they are exploiting his death and now people are bithcning cause he isn’t in the season teaser? Wow these guys are in a no win situation.

13. newinkpop says:

I’m only looking at the tribute it’s the least I can do to honor Cory’s memory

14. OneLifeToLive says:

As long as none of the actors refuse to come to set in order to get 4 day weeks like some OTHER show, I think this season will be just fine. Ill be boycotting that OTHER show tho…

15. dude says:

I’ve seen variations of this article lots of places which begs me to ask, what did you guys want/expect? Them to cut together a bunch of scenes of them crying last season?

16. Ann says:

With no Cory (Finn), ‘Glee’ is done. Lea (Rachel) was 1/2 of the central story, he was the matching piece. If they get her through this season, then it would be time for her character to leave (gets the lead in ‘Funny Girl’?) and for herself (Lea) time to move on & take the next logical steps in her career.
    But the show has no real hook any more … they were it, and they are no more.
    What a shame. Saddens me greatly that this happened. Such a waste.

17. beccablez says:

The sad thing is that while Finn was a fun character in high school, his season 4 arc wasn’t good. They knew there would be difficulties in the transitions, which is why some characters were suddenly established as a year younger in the 3rd season, and why Finn was kept around the way he was. According to interviews, Ryan said a large part of season 5 was meant to be based around Finn’s journey (to become a teacher, I guess), meaning that he and the writers suddenly had to completely change whatever they had prepared up until a month ago. It’s nice to be positive and think that this would have been wonderful and redeeming for the character, but as someone started previously, Ryan isn’t great at writing the same characters for a long time. (See Nip/Tuck and Popular, which, while always campy, became truly awful by the end.) Basically all I’m trying to say with this rant is that hopefully there will be some closure with the character in episode 3, and then yes, they need to move on, and bring what was once a pretty damn good show to a merciful end.