Fall TV Preview

Glee Season 5 Teaser Accentuates the Positive

The first teaser promo for Glee‘s upcoming fifth season puts an emphasis on happier times.

What’s there: upbeat music, footage from last season, lots of smiles. What’s not: scenes including star Cory Monteith, who died from a toxic mix of drugs and alcohol in July, or any mention of the tribute episode the show is planning in his honor.

RELATEDGlee Likely to End After Season 6, Unless…

Creator Ryan Murphy recently told TVLine that the musical series will return with two Beatles-themed episodes, followed by one that honors Monteith and his character, Finn.

Glee returns to Fox on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c.

Press PLAY on the video below, then hit the comments with your thoughts about the forthcoming season.

Tags: ,

Comments (40)

• glad to see they’re keeping the upbeat nature.

Comment by erica – August 17, 2013 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And so should be the show. Dump the depressing NY scenes and let’s go back to bully the Lima kids.

Comment by Matt – August 18, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just don’t think I can bring myself to watch it with them killing of Corey’s Finn, it’s so against the character. Maybe I’ll pick it up on Netflix in a few years, but not this year.

Comment by Shazzer – August 18, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why but I just don’t have a good feeling about this.

Comment by annie sisk – August 17, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the tribute is good and respectful then I’ll watch the rest of the season. The first two episodes can be whatever they want, but the third will make the decision for me. The writing last season wasn’t great so they need to prove that they can still pull it off when it matters, and that episode matters.

Comment by katie – August 17, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How ’bout the writing from season 2 on wasn’t even good?

Comment by MrMank – August 17, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to presume from your comment that you’ve watched “from season 2 on”. If that is the case, you are a masochist or a liar. Which is it?

Comment by Michael Angelo – August 17, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why so hostile? I know plenty of people who watch bad shows as sort of a guilty pleasure. You can watch a show and still acknowledge it’s not that well written.

Comment by Anne – August 17, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I actually wouldn’t consider that hostile. I was simply pointing out a fact. I myself have tuned into guilty pleasures myself (Sharknado, anyone? Or anything involving Eliza Dushku doing a lot of running?). My point was simply to say that Ryan Murphy has a knack for not being able to write for the same characters over long periods of time. And if Glee isn’t evidence of that, check out seasons 3-6 of Nip/Tuck…TRULY awful!! His one saving grace seems to be American Horror Story, which works for him because there’s a new storyline every 13 episodes.

Comment by MrMank – August 17, 2013 08:00 PM PDT
  • Gonna be a weird one…

Comment by Tinman – August 17, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Blaine and Sam, one played a mediocre actor whose character sings way too much and the other, another mediocre actor whose character changes every episode, are the the only positive things they can muster up, they’re really going to have a lot of trouble for Season 5. Oh wait, was there Jake and Marley in there too? I don’t remember because I was falling asleep by then.

Comment by Gabe – August 17, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except for Artie and a few adults the rest of cast at Mck is boring as dirt. The acting and singing is mediocre at best. Sure some of the original kids cast weren’t great actors but they had other strong actors with them to pull them along. Now you just have one mediocre actor after the next trying to make mediocre writing work. Now the 3 best actors are bunch together in NY (which doesn’t get enough time) and the other one has passed away.

Comment by Keith W. – August 17, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is the biggest understatement there is about Glee. Glee has tried to go with lesser quality actors with singing talent and it shows in Glee lesser quality. Especially when season 4 forced 75% of the season Lima centric stories about the new Rachel, Blaine. He will never hold a candle to the talents of Lea Michele and Cory Monteith. Cory’s death is definitely going to affect the quality of Glee because his character was the grounded one who fit the mold of the majority of people in society. Glee will never be as good as it was, season 4 they squandered the entire season on BS stories about the new New Directions and their leaders. Season 5 will be the telling season of Glee’s future. Personally, it won’t and shouldn’t make it. Because it isn’t good anymore.

Comment by Cheri – August 17, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Cory talented. Sorry but those two words don’t match. Before his tragic demise, people used to bash him terribly, and everyone has said that his singing was good at best. Don’t get me started on his dancing abilities. Plus, the new kids were really nice. NY wasn’t all that good.

Comment by Eddie – August 18, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Cheri was talking about Cory’s acting ability. Say what you will about his singing and dancing, but Cory was one of the best actors in the cast.

Comment by Agnes – August 22, 2013 11:34 AM PDT
  • I’m more put off by two Beatles themed episodes. I’d think one would be enough.

Comment by Amy – August 17, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have 27 #1 hit songs. Why would you think a half dozen in one episode would be enough to cover the great music? Britney got 2 eps. People need to not base their opinion of the Beatles on the butchering done by Idol. These will probably be the most expensive eps in Glee history from the cost of the music clearance alone. I wonder if they were able to get a lower rate for going for it all at once.

Comment by scooby – August 17, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Britney d

Comment by Jake – August 17, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Britney didnt have 2 tribute episodes back to back though. That’s what I find kind of weird. I’m fine having tributes (they are going to do it regardless) but space them out

Comment by Jake – August 17, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say it, but i think all are clips from last season

Comment by D – August 17, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure it said as much in the 2nd sentence. (Checking…) Yep, it did.

Comment by Danyelle – August 17, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are just showing that they intend to have fun and positive atmosphere this season. Well, they need to look at the drama crap of season 4. Way too much of it and unnecessary either.

Comment by Cheri – August 17, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t pretend that Finn ever existed. He played an important role in several characters lives. If after ep. 3, they have Rachel go on with her life as if he never existed that will be the end of Glee for me. Blaine is not the answer to filling Finn’s shoes, Darren does not have the acting abilities to carry the amount of screentime he Is already given. And the Jarley couple is so boring, so what is left

Comment by pj – August 17, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see why there would pretend Finn never existed but at the same time they can’t dwell on it forever either.

Comment by Jefie – August 17, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that’s actually the problem they will have this season. If they dwell on it too much it will be depressing, but just glossing over it will seem insincere. I don’t want to see the characters moping all season, but I also don’t want them just moving on like nothing happened. Sadly Glee can’t really do subtle so I fear it will be one or the other.

Comment by Trent – August 17, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. Glee will most likely get criticism for not knowing how to handle Finn after episode 3. Finn was a big character and also so much a part of Rachel. Without him, there’ll be an emptiness there that they’ll have to deal with. After episode 3, they’ll probably either stay on him too much or gloss over him. I feel it’ll be the latter. They’ll have their tribute and to not dampen the mood of episodes after, it’ll be like Finn never existed.

Comment by Chris – August 17, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, this is what happens when you stop believing. Maybe they could show Cory in the piano room composing or decomposing if you will.

Comment by Ihatemorons – August 17, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Cory not available for this? I have a feeling they are going to try to write him out of the show

Comment by love all – August 17, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate people like you.

Comment by brycealexander – August 17, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re a terrible person.

Comment by Zoe – August 19, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the Tribute Episode isn’t tell Episode 3

Comment by OnceFan316 – August 17, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, why promote Cory as being on the show when he won’t be.

Comment by Kim – August 17, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cory’s not going to be on any of the shows. Not unless they’re planning to do a tribute to Weekend at Bernie’s.

Comment by Timmah – August 17, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they have Cory in the this first teaser? He won’t be in season 5 that is the truth. I have already heard people bitching they are exploiting his death and now people are bithcning cause he isn’t in the season teaser? Wow these guys are in a no win situation.

Comment by give them a break – August 17, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does one person suddenly count as “people” now?

Comment by Lydia – August 17, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only looking at the tribute it’s the least I can do to honor Cory’s memory

Comment by newinkpop – August 17, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as none of the actors refuse to come to set in order to get 4 day weeks like some OTHER show, I think this season will be just fine. Ill be boycotting that OTHER show tho…

Comment by OneLifeToLive – August 18, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen variations of this article lots of places which begs me to ask, what did you guys want/expect? Them to cut together a bunch of scenes of them crying last season?

Comment by dude – August 18, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With no Cory (Finn), ‘Glee’ is done. Lea (Rachel) was 1/2 of the central story, he was the matching piece. If they get her through this season, then it would be time for her character to leave (gets the lead in ‘Funny Girl’?) and for herself (Lea) time to move on & take the next logical steps in her career.
    But the show has no real hook any more … they were it, and they are no more.
    What a shame. Saddens me greatly that this happened. Such a waste.

Comment by Ann – August 18, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The sad thing is that while Finn was a fun character in high school, his season 4 arc wasn’t good. They knew there would be difficulties in the transitions, which is why some characters were suddenly established as a year younger in the 3rd season, and why Finn was kept around the way he was. According to interviews, Ryan said a large part of season 5 was meant to be based around Finn’s journey (to become a teacher, I guess), meaning that he and the writers suddenly had to completely change whatever they had prepared up until a month ago. It’s nice to be positive and think that this would have been wonderful and redeeming for the character, but as someone started previously, Ryan isn’t great at writing the same characters for a long time. (See Nip/Tuck and Popular, which, while always campy, became truly awful by the end.) Basically all I’m trying to say with this rant is that hopefully there will be some closure with the character in episode 3, and then yes, they need to move on, and bring what was once a pretty damn good show to a merciful end.

Comment by beccablez – August 19, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post