Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

emmys-2013-guest-actress-comedyThe six ladies nominated for the 2013 Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy all have an interesting thing in common: Each of ‘em has been up for a statuette in prior years.

Only two of these women, however — Melissa McCarthy (as guest host of Saturday Night Live) and Glee‘s Dot-Marie Jones — were part of the Guest Actress race in 2012, both losing out to Kathy Bates (for Two and a Half Men). Jones, incidentally, was also nominated in the Guest Actress race in 2011, giving her a hat trick of nods.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

One other veteran of the category, Elaine Stritch, took home the Guest Actress in a Comedy statuette in 2007 for 30 Rock, but was relegated to bridesmaid staus in three subsequent nominations. With 30 Rock‘s seven-season run in the books, this will be Stritch’s last shot for playing the irascible Colleen Donaghy (though she has two prior Emmy wins — Guest Actress in a Drama in 1993 and Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program in 2004).

RELATED | Veep‘s Anna Chlumsky Dishes Her Emmy Nomination, Favorite Profane Moments

While McCarthy is back in the mix for the second straight year for her SNL stint, two other actresses in the race also have connections to the NBC sketch-comedy show. Former cast regulars Molly Shannon and Kristen Wiig are both 2013 Guest Actress nominees: Shannon for her role on HBO’s Enlightened, Wiig for her first time out as an SNL host.

And finally, Melissa Leo — who’s landed both Primetime Emmy and Daytime Emmy nods in prior years — rounds out the field for her work on FX’s Louie.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actresses when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (43)

• Anything but glee, that show is trash now.

Comment by sookie – August 17, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing is Dot Marie Jones’ guest stint on Glee wasn’t very funny, it was more of a dramatic role.

Comment by Josh – August 17, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed – but her performance was still excellent (and I’m no fan of Glee). I’d like to see her win; actresses like her so rarely get top-calibre recognition and she is really talented

Comment by liz – August 17, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was good, but if you aren’t funny, aren’t trying to be funny and no laughter is resulted from your performance, you need to get the eff out of the comedy category. Period.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 17, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Its not really her decision, Glee is billed as a comedy, despite very much being a dramedy. The same thing happens at the Oscar’s.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – August 17, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m not sure the same thing does happen at the Oscars. They only really split the nominations by gender.

Comment by RyanC – August 17, 2013 11:28 PM PDT
          • Another good example is “Nurse Jackie,” also a dramedy despite winning Edie Falco a bunch of “comedy” awards. “Sardonic” is not necessarily the same thing as “funny”!

Comment by Lyn – August 18, 2013 07:38 AM PDT
        • Its not her fault she’s in that category; Glee competes in the comedy category. Just further proof that there needs to be a ‘dramedy’ section for the Emmy’s.

Comment by liz – August 17, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s my point. There is no denying that she isn’t an award worthy actress, but she just isn’t worthy of THIS award. Her character was purely dramatic, she didn’t really have many funny moments.

Comment by Josh – August 17, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How does appearing in 30 episodes of Glee count as a “Guest Actress”?

Comment by cuius – August 18, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow these choices suck

Comment by brycealexander – August 17, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Molly Shannon on Enlightened deserves everything. Anything that the show was nominated for should win, actually, which unfortunately only means Laura Dern and Shannon. They were both mesmerizing, fascinating and heartbreaking, especially Shannon’s part. “The Ghost is Seen” is one of the best episodes of the 2012-2013 TV season, and that is due to Mike White and Molly Shannon. It broke my heart and even got me teary-eyed.

Comment by Alexandru Ciobanu – August 17, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Molly Shannon please. Enlightened is my favorite season of TV this year and I hope it gets recognized in some way.

Comment by Bobby – August 17, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Molly Shannon was great on Enlightened! Hope she wins.

Comment by Florian Nargieu (@FlorianNz) – August 17, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously this is what the EMMY’s choose? Do those guys even watch TV, these are just big names on TV, not the best this year!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – August 17, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Dot Marie Jones’ performance in Glee, but she wasnt being a comedic actress. In the episodes she showed her acting skills- her first kiss episode, the abusive relationship, and such, she was performing more dramatically.

Comment by GTS – August 17, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand the time period that the Emmy’s nominate for…. all those storylines you mentioned were from Season 3–last year–not Season 4. Honestly I saw every episode this past year and can’t remember Dot having anything major to do.

Comment by Chris – August 18, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eligibility period: June 1, 2012 – May 31, 2013

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 18, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I agree Dot Marie Jones was a dramatic performance and that it’s unfortunate she is saddled in the comedy category, the distinction should be made that it’s actress in a comedy, not actress in a comedic role.

I know, I know, that’s pulling hairs, but if we’re being specific, she was outstanding on a comedy with a dramatic performance. She deserves the nom, not sure about the win, though I’d like to see her do it.

Comment by Benn – August 17, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Glee is also not a comedy. The only reason they are in the comedy category is because they are a musical and musicals get lumped in the comedy category,

Comment by Ari – August 18, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not true…when Uma Thurman was nominated for Guest Actress on Smash last year…it was for Drama…not comedy. That only holds true for the Golden Globes.

Comment by Chris – August 18, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it does say “Best Guest Actress in a Comedy” not “Best Comedic Performance by a Guest Actress” so she’s qualified, and i hope she gets it!

Comment by nobody special – August 19, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa McCarthy will win.

Comment by Rjrtist – August 17, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I’d have to root for Dot-Marie Jones. I remember her from my Glee-watching days, and I’d love to see her win. But honestly, I can’t see someone I don’t want to win- they’re all great actresses. But this season’s lackluster writing on SNL will probably work against Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy.

Comment by Zoe – August 17, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t the category set deemed Best X Comedy or musical? Am I thinking of another awards show altogether?

Comment by Philip – August 17, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re thinking of the Golden Globes who do that. Uma Thurman for sure won guest actress in a drama for playing in Smash, so they had submitted themselves in the drama category. Musicals don’t have to be comedies at the Emmys.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 18, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uma was nominated…she did not win.

Comment by Chris – August 18, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Kristen Wiig and she was just excellent all these years in SNL but I have to admit that Melissa McCarthy was just TREMENDOUSLY FUNNY as a host, and her episode was better than Wiig’s. So MELISSA MCARTHY ALL THE WAY !!!!

Comment by Soso – August 17, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Veep. No contest.

Comment by Johnno Hooper – August 17, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But she’s the lead actress on Veep, not a “guest-star”. But of course JLD deserves to win in her category, she’s OUTSTANDING on Veep. Really hope Veep wins the Emmy for best comedy as well.

Comment by Florian Nargieu (@FlorianNz) – August 17, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elaine Stritch was great!

Comment by Leonie Henckell (@LeonieJH) – August 17, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What did Dot Marie even do this year on Glee? All the first kiss, abusive relationship stuff was last season. I think I remember her being in the shooting episode, but that might not even be right.

Comment by Allen – August 17, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, personally I think Molly Shannon deserves it if she hasn’t won an Emmy… if she has then I think Kristen Wiig deserves it.

Comment by Austin – August 17, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Melissa McCarthy or Kristen Wig win.

Comment by Joey – August 17, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Dot-Marie because she’s just an amazing actress. Sure, she’s awesome at the comedy, but her dramatic episodes are intense.

Comment by Amanda – August 18, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Toss up between McCarthy and Wiig.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 18, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, you guys forgot to mention Melissa Leo also has an Oscar. I’ve had Melissa Leo picked to win this ever since that episode of Louie aired and I want her to win badly. I think she’s got it in the bag. She’s only scoring low here because TVLine readers have bad taste in their comedy viewing choices. They don’t watch Louie. No, they seem to prefer Glee and TBBT. Trust me, she’s going to win. She’s an Oscar winner, she is well respected in the acting community, she always pick great roles, and she actually has a line in the show where she says, “Your sperms are dying in my mouth right now!” That whole conversation on oral sex etiquette and values was the dirtiest, funniest thing I saw on television all last year. Louis C.K. likes to push the boundaries of comedy, and it’s going to pay off for Melissa Leo. Now having said that, let’s all take a minute to mourn the fact that Kristen Wiig didn’t get nominated for playing Young Lucille on Arrested Development. Because she nailed that. It was fantastic.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 18, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Melissa Leo’s turn on Louie was both fearless and hysterical. Although I never thought of her as a comedic actress, this was golden.

Comment by HAP – August 18, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont understand how GLEE is a comedy and how Dot marie Jones is voted for in a comedy. The episodes shes been in and her role have Been DRAMATIC – not comedic. It just makes no sense. Glee has music but I dont find myself laughing at any episode

Comment by Steve – August 18, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the Emmy goes to…Elaine Stritch!

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it gets on my nerves when people complain that a performance is not comic enough… it is “best performance in a comedy series”. Glee is considered a comedy. How many times a dramatic performance has won an emmy in comedy categories… Laurie Melcalf comes to my mind…
    Dot-Marie Jones was great in the shooting episode… she is doing quite great work, she deserve the emmy… but with an old lady in the run… she has no chances… emmy voters love their oldies…
    And now with people from SLN competing here… it is so wrong…

Comment by jm – August 18, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Hell no Dot Marie… Glee is the lamest show on TV right now. It does not deserve any nomination whatsoever!

Comment by Jake – August 19, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post