Tina Fey's Collegiate Comedy Greenlit at Fox

Get More: Series Orders

Tina Fey Fox Comedy Women's CollegeBreak out the Cheesy Blasters in celebration: Tina Fey is about to have another comedy on the primetime line-up.

Fox has given a series commitment to a multi-camera sitcom, set at a women’s college, from the 30 Rock creator and star.

Per our sister site Deadline, Fey will executive-produce the project with fellow 30 Rockers Robert Carlock (who served as showrunner on the NBC critical darling) and Matt Hubbard and David Miner (who exec-produced).

RELATED | Lauren Graham Developing Series With The CW

Hubbard is writing the script, which will chronicle school life as the institution — for the first time in its history — admits men. Universal Television and Fey’s Little Stranger will produce.

Though it’s unusual for a potential series to completely bypass the pilot process, as Fey’s project has, it does happen: A few recent examples include NBC’s The Michael J. Fox Show and Hannibal and CBS’ Under the Dome.

But sorry, Liz Lemon lovers: According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fey doesn’t plan to star in the series.

Tags: ,

Comments (41)

• Multi-camera, I’ll give it a shot because of Fey, but I hate laugh tracks.

Comment by Mike R. – August 16, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says this multi-camera sitcom will have a laugh track?

Comment by Arie – October 31, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, “The Facts of Life Goes To College”?

Comment by Claire – August 16, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol, I love it when huge liberals like Tina Fey, who bash anyone that watches Fox News and makes comments about it not being real news, aren’t too good to take money from Fox for their TV shows. They should put their money where their mouth is and not do business with a man and company they claim to despise. Greed trumps all, even your core beliefs if you are in the TV business.

Comment by ajintexas – August 16, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize “Fox News” (the Fox news channel) and FOX Network (Fox Broadcasting Company) are completely different and Tina is working with the latter? But of course you don’t, and from that screen name who would really be surprised…

Comment by Tav – August 16, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whoa whoa whoa.
        1. They are separate entities with different agendas (one to destroy the world in a swarm of Christianity and the other to deliver quality television programming), they are both holdings of the Fox Entertainment Group, just like and 20th Century Fox.
        2. Calling a Texan stupid is calling yourself stupid. Remember, there are Wendy Davises here and they are not stupid, like myself.
        3. I do think the OP is just wrong, but so are you.

Comment by brycealexander – August 16, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • All owned by Rupert Murdoch genius. It’s no wonder Texas is in better shape than any other state in this country when we see the intellectual offerings from people elsewhere. And on a side note, Wendy Davis is a braindead blond who lost her argument. Murdering babies got a whole lot harder in Texas. We lead by example here. The fact remains, Tina is in bed with her mortal enemies. Every dollar she makes for Fox is a dollar used abainst her liberal agenda. I’m surprised she didn’t stay with NBC, they love her type there. After all they employ that two faced homophobe Alec Baldwin right?

Comment by ajintexas – August 17, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 1) Universal TV produces the show, not Fox. It’s just airing there. 2) What on earth does this have to do with Texas? It’s not all about you, ya know. 3) They should be seriously thinking of changing Texas’ motto to “The Service Industry State” so congratulations on being in “better shape.” So many job opportunities, so little time…to work enough hours to stay off welfare. 4) Fox News and Fox the network are spun off legal entities now thanks to the phone hacking scandal. Murdoch owns part of it, but he’s not programming the channel. The Parents Television Council’s gotten mad at them for supposed indecency for several shows. It’s all about making money for shareholders, not promoting an agenda, conservative or liberal, unless you’re looking at the news programming on the channel which IS still done by Fox News.

Comment by S. – August 17, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • But it will still make money for Fox if it’s successful. Fox (all parts) is the Evil Empire and Murdoch is Emperor Palpatine!

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:09 AM PDT
        • How is Texas in better shape than other states? Your educational system is a joke, your health care system is a joke, and you people complain about government bailouts right until you get flooded, or a town is blown up because there was no government oversight.

But yeah, you live in a great state.

Comment by David4 – August 18, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see why she should turn down an offer with Fox Entertainment just because she does not agree with the politics on Fox News. Shouldn’t you be equally offended by Fox for employing a huge liberal? Why don’t they have to put their money where there mouth is? Up until yesterday Fox Television Studios was set to produce the Hilary Clinton miniseries that had the Republic Party all worked up. But once again, anyone who dares go disagree or go against a policy of the RNC is browbeaten into submission. Just because you don’t agree with someone’s political beliefs, doesn’t mean you should shouldn’t be able to work with them. This us vs. them mentality is the root of the problem with our society and government today. I’m going to stop where I’m at now because I come onto this site for entertainment news and conversation, not a political debate.

Comment by Cassie – August 17, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch anything with Tina Fey’s name stamped on it.

Comment by Babybop – August 16, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by Hermione Granger – August 17, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad she won’t be in it.

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds a lot like Opposite Sex (with Milo Ventimigila, Chris Evans, Allison Mack). It was an interesting concept that wasn’t really executed well, but if anybody can do it well, it’s Tina Fey.

Comment by neha – August 16, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked that show. It also had Kyle Howard. Such an underrated actor.

Comment by Zach – August 16, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too – it had it faults, but, overall, it was pretty funny. Plus, I’ll watch Jess (um, Milo) in anything.

Comment by neha – August 16, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. I don’t understand how his spinoff didn’t get picked up.

Comment by David4 – August 18, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also is the main plot of All I Wanna Do starring Kirsten Dunst, Gaby Hoffmann and Rachael Leigh Cook.

Comment by Thea – August 16, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t she doing this with NBC :( It’s my favourite network and they need her :(

Comment by Eddie – August 16, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because the possibility of cancellation for new shows is higher in that network. LOL.

Comment by Marcinho11 – August 16, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They both renewed 2 shows this year (Chicago Fire and Hannibal, Mindy Project and The Following).

Tina sold another show about a woman working in a gay bar to NBC. Fox just offered a better deal for this one. They both wanted it.

Comment by Zach – August 16, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So they both renewed 2 new shows this year, NBC also canceled about a dozen shows at the same time. If I were creating a TV show, I would steer clear of the peacock network.

Comment by Jillian – August 16, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That will probably fare about as well as The Noew Normal did. NBC is a bad place for new comedies right now. People just don’t watch that channel anymore. I can speculate as to why, but I bet you can guess.

Comment by ajintexas – August 17, 2013 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • NBC seems to be going through a pretty rough period. Luckily, they saved their best new comedy, About a Boy, for midseason. It will air after The Voice, and maintain The Voice’s lead-in for half a season, and if all goes planned, will have a successful run.

Also, The Michael J. Fox Show looks reaLly promising and has a 22 episode guarantee.

Also, they ordered a pilot from the people behind Happy Endings. They must be doing something right.

Comment by Zach – August 17, 2013 03:31 AM PDT
    • I actually see this as more of a Fox show, one that would complement New Girl and Mindy Project pretty well.

Comment by neha – August 16, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I highly doubt The Mindy Project is getting a third season. It wouldn’t surprise me if this show was from the male POV. Opposite Sex was.

Comment by Zach – August 16, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why wouldn’t The Mindy Project be renewed for a third season?…

Comment by nonniemb – August 17, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It barely got a second one, tue cast shake ups are still going on, and it doesn’t blend in with the new shows Fox picked up.

Comment by Zach – August 17, 2013 03:10 PM PDT
          • THE cast shake ups.

Comment by Zach – August 18, 2013 01:26 PM PDT
          • Because it sucks?

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:11 AM PDT
  • I loved 30 Rock and Tina Fey. She’s talented and funny. Makes me laugh and forget any troubles or worries!

Comment by Truefan – August 16, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a joke! fox and nbc both suck. Tina fey will bring in the young viewers lol everyone wants 2 see grandma on tv

Comment by Jacob – August 17, 2013 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know which part of your second sentence is the most pathetic. The article clearly indicates that Fey will not be on the show, she is producing it. I’m not sure where you’re from, but where I’m at there are not a whole lot of 43 year old grandmothers. As far as the age of producers for shows targeting the youth demographic, 43 is on the low end. Chuck Lorre is 61, Steve Levitan is 51, Glen Mazzara is 46, Joss Whedon is 49, and JJ Abrams is 46. Something tells me people like you aren’t the audience she is looking for.

Comment by WilliamH – August 17, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do have a feeling that where Jacob comes from, 43-year-old grandmothers are a common occurrence.

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check out the show since Tina is co-created and co-producing.

Comment by Joey – August 17, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Tina,
    Hire Paget Brewster for this sitcom, you won’t regret it!

Comment by jk – August 18, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Paget Brewster! Just finished ARCTU on DVD, and she was fricking hilarious in that show. I also loved her appearance on Drunk History last week.

Comment by Zach – August 18, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahahaha. I lived this when my women’s college admitted men when I was a student there in 2003! It was the best place in the world and TRUST me plenty of quirky to fill a series!

Comment by Mary – August 18, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m high fiving a million angels!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 19, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? It’s just a TV show and she’s not going to star in it.

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post