Emmys

Emmys 2013: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

Emmys-2013-Best-Comedy-SeriesCan Modern Family be stopped? And more importantly, should it?

That’s the big question looming over the 2013 Emmy race for Outstanding Comedy Series — seeing how ABC’s Wednesday-night smash has taken home the statuette for three straight years, and will be angling for its fourth during the Sept. 22 ceremony.

VIDEO | Retta Reacts to Parks and Recreation’s Emmy Snub, Cops to Comic-Con Disguise Fail

There’s only one first-time nominee in the category this time around (FX’s Louie), while both HBO’s Veep and Girls are back in the race for the second year running.

The other two shows with eyes on Modern Family‘s prize are veterans of the Emmy wars. NBC’s 30 Rock, in fact, is a three-time Best Comedy winner, having taken home the trophy from 2007-2009, before Modern Family broke its streak. With Tina Fey’s ensemble comedy having ended its seven-season run in January, the 2013 race marks its final chance at Emmy glory.

RELATED | Veep‘s Anna Chlumsky Dishes Her Emmy Nomination, Favorite Profane Moments

The Big Bang Theory, meanwhile, is hoping there’s some truth to the adage “third time’s the charm,” considering it got blanked in its first two attempts at Outstanding Comedy (in 2011 and 2012).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (98)

• Someone please explain to me how Girls gets in the comedy category? It’s not funny! It’s a drama at best. Need answers, please! ( many thanks in advance)

Comment by Saabgirlatx – August 16, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory fans can bite me. Louie is the best show nominated here. Arrested Development was truly the best show last year though. Louie selected their 6 episodes very well, it’s got a shot. But it probably goes to Modern Family again, right? Sigh. I’m going to have to settle for Louie winning writing again and Melissa Leo taking the guest actress category.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 16, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unpopular Opinion: Parks and Rec had a weaker season than normal. Still deserving of a nod, but I don’t think it deserves the award. Let’s face it, if they didn’t win for Season 3, then it’s at uphill battle. I don’t think any season will match up to that near-flawless season.

I’d personally give the award to Veep which has evolved from the Julia Dreyfus show to an incredibly strong ensemble show, hilarious writing, and biting commentary. I could live with 30 Rock getting the award for an absolutely stellar final season, or Louie (even if it’s not personally my type of show).

Comment by JJ – August 17, 2013 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I am comparing the seasons of Parks I will agree that this last season wasn’t the best. That said, it isn’t Parks against younger Parks, it is Parks against the rest of the shows on TV. I personally believe that no other show is better or has been better in the last three years. It is the most consistent show in terms of comedy writing and acting. For that they deserve the last two Emmys and this coming one.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 17, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBBT is the highest rated comedy on TV. It baffles me that they haven’t won an Emmy yet.

Comment by Aubrey – August 17, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love all of the shows on the list, but when I consider which show has made me laugh the most over the past year and which show is the most entertaining to me overall, I have to give the edge to The Big Bang Theory. You can’t really compare these shows with each other, though. They’re all very different kinds of comedy. That’s cool, when you think about it. :-)

Comment by TV Gord – August 17, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these. I wish Wilfred would be considered for these things.

Comment by Ruby – August 17, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl. New Girl.

Comment by rachel – August 17, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s be real MODERN FAMILY WILL WIN AGAIN!!!!!There isn’t realy any other strong alternatives.

Comment by vncvnbgjk – August 18, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I strongly disagree! Modern Family is a great show, do doubt, but I really think TBBT was truly exceptional this past year. As long as it’s not another HBO win, (cable wins too many awards because they can get away with language, insane amounts of nudity and pushing things to the edge), I’ll be happy :)

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no strong alternatives to Modern Family? This show isn’t even funny. I watched 4 episodes and what they were trying to pass off as funny was stupid and lame. No laughs to be had with Modern Family, unlike The Big Bang Theory which is funny throughout, no waiting for good jokes. Also, the Big Bang Theory kills all other comedies in the ratings. Strange how the top rated comedy in the world gets snubbed at the Emmys. Who are the morons in charge?

Comment by Rob Thompson – September 18, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the Emmy goes to…The Big Bang Theory, no brainer!

Comment by Belle – August 18, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most others that Parks and Rec should be on here and DEFINITELY should have won this Emmy.

I don’t agree with any of the Big Bang Theory hate. Besides Parks and Rec, BBT is the only other comedy that I genuinely look forward to every week, and that makes me laugh every week.

Comment by Babybop – August 18, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBBt will never win because is multi-camara show.EMMY voters are lazy.They will easiy check Modern family name.

Comment by vncvnbgjk – August 18, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec is the correct answer, but Emmy voters are clearly morons. I’m holding out for 30 Rock or Veep, but it will probably go to the predictable Modern Family, sophmoric TBBT, or the trash that is Girls.

Comment by Aprilcot – August 19, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a non-Bizarro world, Parks and Recreation would be nominated and win easily. Unfortunately, we’re talking Hollyweird here, so for consistent comedic quality, it would have to be BBT.

Comment by Bob – August 19, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Veep. The cast is so great together. I hope it wins every award it’s nominated for, and any it’s not nominated for either.

Comment by Amanda – August 19, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m rooting so hard for The Big BangTheory.

Comment by Nicole-bi Wan Kenobi (@ilovemylab93) – August 19, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The sheer overwhelming Big Bang Theory support depresses me. So very much.

Comment by Roman H. – August 22, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why would a show that’s immensely funny depress you. Modern Family is depressing because it wins best comedy and it isn’t even funny. TBBT is jokes a plenty. I guess you dislike humor.

Comment by Rob Thompson – September 18, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family sucks and isn’t even funny. Their jokes are lame, when they even try to make jokes. The Big Bang Theory provides laughs from start to end, and is the highest rated comedy in the U.S. and the rest of the world. I say the most beloved, most watched, top rated should win. That is the Big Bang Theory hands down.

Comment by Rob Thompson – September 18, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damn it modern family sucks , the big bang theory is the best show ever !

Comment by bazinga – November 6, 2013 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post