Emmys

Emmys 2013: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

Emmys-2013-Best-Comedy-SeriesCan Modern Family be stopped? And more importantly, should it?

That’s the big question looming over the 2013 Emmy race for Outstanding Comedy Series — seeing how ABC’s Wednesday-night smash has taken home the statuette for three straight years, and will be angling for its fourth during the Sept. 22 ceremony.

VIDEO | Retta Reacts to Parks and Recreation’s Emmy Snub, Cops to Comic-Con Disguise Fail

There’s only one first-time nominee in the category this time around (FX’s Louie), while both HBO’s Veep and Girls are back in the race for the second year running.

The other two shows with eyes on Modern Family‘s prize are veterans of the Emmy wars. NBC’s 30 Rock, in fact, is a three-time Best Comedy winner, having taken home the trophy from 2007-2009, before Modern Family broke its streak. With Tina Fey’s ensemble comedy having ended its seven-season run in January, the 2013 race marks its final chance at Emmy glory.

RELATED | Veep‘s Anna Chlumsky Dishes Her Emmy Nomination, Favorite Profane Moments

The Big Bang Theory, meanwhile, is hoping there’s some truth to the adage “third time’s the charm,” considering it got blanked in its first two attempts at Outstanding Comedy (in 2011 and 2012).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 15, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (98)

• GIRLS gets my vote.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 16, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec, but it’s not nominated.

Comment by mikey – August 16, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 30 Rock/Louie. Anything but Girls/Modern Family.

Comment by Eddie – August 16, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anything but TBBT. It’s awful.

Comment by Goku – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t go that far. It’s good, but it’s not best comedy good is all. Would be happy if either Louie or Veep won.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 16, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Louie is great because it is original and outrageous.
          I think that TBBT is overlooked because it seems easy and maybe even juvenile. But it makes me laugh and care about the characters in a way that other shows do not. It’s smart in a way that doesn’t say “look how smart I am”.

Comment by Faye McDonald (@fayemcd) – August 17, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree. I honestly love all the comedies on the list, but look forward to TBBT the most, so I would give it to them.

Comment by Mel – August 18, 2013 08:18 AM PDT
      • TBBT is the funniest. If you haven’t watched it. Don’t be critical. I could say I do not like the others but won’t – haven’t seen them!

Comment by Edith – August 18, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation.

Comment by Sadie – August 16, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best comedy isn’t on the list: Parks and Recreation.

Comment by Theresa – August 16, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saddened that Louie is second worst in the poll so far. Come on, people.

Comment by TigerNightmare – August 16, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None… PARKS AND RECREATION SHOULD WIN !!!!

Comment by Soso – August 16, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec. Wait… It’s not even nominated? Ok, so it’ll have to be Girls.

Comment by SylwekG – August 16, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation. No competition (oh, wait)

Comment by Jaclyn – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None, it should have been parks and rec

Comment by Aha – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if modern family or 30 rock win again, a million baby unicorns will die

Comment by god – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No modern family. It’s still okay, but not nearly as good as other shows now. It’s really gone downhill.

Comment by Jrs – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Parks and Recreation or (even though I don’t consider it a comedy) Enlightened were nominated, I’d go with either of them. Of the nominees though, I don’t watch Louie or Girls so I can’t judge them. But I’d love to see Veep take it. In the middle of season two now on an HBOGO marathon and it’s hysterical. I’d be happy with 30 Rock or Big Bang Theory as well because their seasons were some of their best work imo. Just hope that Modern Family doesn’t control everything again. I enjoy it, but it needs to rest as it’s not the end all be all.

Comment by Bobby – August 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give it to BBT, only show with great talent and wide appeal other than Modern Family.
    30 Rock is funny as hell with a great cast but satire never wins.

Comment by qj201 – August 16, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It won 3 times.

Comment by hipper – August 16, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A wide appeal? It’s about a group of genius scientists (I know, I know, it’s got the relationship between a group of friends, happy, happy, feelings…..). Modern family is about a family. Most people have families.

Comment by GTS – August 16, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Most people have friends they consider family as well.

Comment by suzi – August 17, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Veep Season 2 was brilliant!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – August 16, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving all this P&R love. Academy; take note.

Comment by Eddie – August 16, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec/The Middle but yeah, predictable Emmys. Also, New girl. From the list though Louie

Comment by Vlada – August 16, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec, New Girl, or Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23… oh wait…
    I do want to watch Veep though. I haven’t gotten around to it yet.
    This season of TBBT was pretty good but it’s still a fairly mediocre comedy.
    And Modern Family has its ups and downs but no.

Comment by Sarah El – August 16, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (and any other season of Community belatedly)

Comment by Sarah El – August 16, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t matter who wins because Parks & Rec isn’t nominated.

Comment by CJS – August 16, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec. Or Parks and Rec. I’d also be ok with Parks and Rec.

Comment by Hermione Granger – August 16, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these. I vote for Parks and Rec.

Comment by Margie Rife – August 16, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of the nominated series, Veep.

Comment by hipper – August 16, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Veep!!!! It’s really the only show that makes me LOL anymore, kind of sad. It’s not a stupid, predictable sitcom.

Comment by Andrew – August 16, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From those actually nominated…I gotta go with Louie.

Comment by CJ – August 16, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worst show on the list is winning by a wide margin. Fantastic!

Comment by Max – August 16, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost 50% on The Big Fart and Sex-innuendo joke Theory… Incredible.

Comment by Waage – August 16, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From the list of nominees — Louie.
    From the #1 on my list — Parks & Recreation. ♥

Comment by Eliza – August 16, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am laughing so hard at the TBBT haters, it’s the highest rated comedy for a reason.

Comment by Prince – August 16, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just like the Transformers and Twilight movies did so well at the box office, right?

Comment by Maxwell Haddad – August 16, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You see a movie once and if you don’t like it, you never see it again.
        TBBT has been building it’s audience for six years.

Comment by Prince – August 16, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Both movie series I mentioned had sequels, and people kept coming back for more in huge numbers. Similar concepts.

Comment by Maxwell Haddad – August 16, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, America has been slowly dumbing down for many years now. I agree, it’s really sad.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 17, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You consider TBBT dumb?

Comment by John – August 17, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch TBBT regularly, but even I know in my heart that it doesn’t deserve the percentage of votes it got. My vote is for Veep specially after it’s outstanding second season.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – August 16, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Veep or Louie from what was nominated, but Parks was the best comedy this year.

Comment by Mike R. – August 16, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if any of those shows is going to unseat Modern Family it’s gonna be Big Bang Theory. i feel like it’s reached enough critical mass that it’s the 2nd runner up at this point. then again, i will always champion Veep because though many people might just shrug it off as EH julia louis-dreyfuss is carrying that show, that is the opposite of what is true. it is in fact a brilliant ensemble piece with fantastic actors all around and its only gotten better in season 2.

Comment by cjeffery7 – August 16, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family is stille the best comedy on TV and last season was funnier than previous one (try to watch 4×02). So…

Comment by JohnQ – August 16, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreeing with so many other comments, without Parks and Rec it makes no sense to choose the best comedy.

Out of the nominees, despite being against it winning different Emmys too often before, I’d go with 30 Rock now, it beats all of those by a landslide.

Comment by Rachel – August 16, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Parks and Rec but if one more person here mentions it for the love of god

That being said, Veep is hands down the best comedy of the year

Comment by Lara – August 16, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation. Oh wait. Damnit.

Comment by Paul – August 16, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louie. The rest is unfunny crap.

Comment by trololo – August 16, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT has been so consistent this season.The cast really gels and it’s time for some recognition.

Comment by RD – August 16, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think BBT is so underrated by some people and so overrated by others. But, I think it deserves at least one Emmy win for the series.

Comment by Austin – August 16, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings.

Comment by dude – August 16, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec should win, but Emmy voters are morons. Of the nominated shows, it should go to either 30 Rock or Louie. 30 Rock had an excellent final season and really is one of the best comedies to have ever been on TV in my opinion. And Louie is one of the most unique shows on TV, completely deserving of recognition as well. Knowing the Emmy voters, though, they’ll probably give it to either Modern Family (which is decent but nowhere near as consistently good as other shows on TV) or Big Bang Theory (which is simply one of the worst sitcoms on TV).

Comment by Dave – August 16, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love BBT but my vote is with Modern Family. I don’t understand the backlash. It is only 3 seasons old. And there is fantastic emsemble writing on here. Everyone gets funny (it is not 1 or 2 people holding the show together). I love it.

Comment by RUCookie – August 16, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation should be nominated and should win!! (but we know the Emmys are good at snubbing. Predictable every year!)

I like Modern Family but my vote goes to Veep, the second season was brilliant and I think its underrated. However I wouldn’t mind if 30 Rock won, it was consistently funny every season and had a good send off. I don’t find TBBT funny at all, surprised it has such a big lead in this poll!

Comment by Sophie – August 16, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • parks and recreation!!!!! :(

Comment by Sara – August 16, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should be a write-in…Parks and Rec!!

Comment by Kyle – August 16, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shows that should win before any of these nominees:

Happy Endings
    Suburgatory
    Cougar Town
    Parks and Rec
    Community if this season weren’t terrible

ANY of those would have been better choices.

Comment by person – August 16, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Modern Family for two seasons and then got bored with it. I’m a bit surprised how Hot In Cleveland and The Exes don’t get nominated. Both are quite funny and the only comedies I watch. Apparently the Emmys snub TV Land as well.

Comment by Lily L – August 16, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TTBT

Comment by Brandy – August 16, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That should say TBBT

Comment by Brandy – August 16, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Parks and Rec, very vocal minority are hilarious.

Comment by lyn – August 16, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks & Rec or The Office

Comment by Kenny – August 16, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look… I’m one of the biggest fans of The Big Bang Theory you could find… but I’d also be the first to say that it absolutely doesn’t deserve an Emmy win for this season. Seasons 5 and 6 are definitely a step down from the first four seasons… and it baffles me that everyone doesn’t see that. The decline is just so obvious. Where it used to be a show that *about* geekdom… it is now a show that frequently *makes fun* of it. The storylines used to be about the friendship and ensuing hijinks of the guys… now they’re almost exclusively relationship storylines. Almost gone are the elements that made it more intelligent (and therefore funnier) than most traditional sitcoms. Seasons 1-4 were all more than deserving of Emmy wins. Seasons 5 and 6? Not so much. As far as acting goes, Jim Parsons is deserving every year. Simon Helberg was also quite strong this year. Kalely Cuoco on the other hand, was completely snubbed in the earlier years… but she just hasn’t had Emmy-worthy material the past two seasons.

Comment by John DeMayo – August 16, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel exactly the opposite. It was heavily making fun of the characters in the earlier seasons as we watched them be outcasted and find failures with their only triumphs being in petty things, now it is about their successes in their careers and relationships. This past season was their best season yet, and I do feel it deserves the nomination, but it wasn’t the best comedy of the season.

Comment by Adam – August 16, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. Season 6 is actually probably the strongest season the show has EVER had, with the episode about Howard’s dad being a standout. I’d even go controversial and say that TBBT was better than Community this past season.

With that said, even coming of a very strong season, nothing about TBBT’s directing or writing has ever been outstanding – it’s the cast’s performances that carry the show- and in order to win Best Comedy all of these factors need to come together.

Veep or 30 Rock should win for a truly stellar sophmore season and final season respectively.

Comment by JJ – August 17, 2013 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I think Amy and Bernadette have brought it down since they don’t add much in terms of comedy and they bring everyone else down. Plus its too crowded at times. My favorite comedy is easily two and a half men. Still great after so long. Himym was really good but has been really bad the past couple seasons

Comment by crog – August 16, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post