The Middle Exclusive: Rachel Dratch Cast as Brick's Middle-School Principal

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Rachel-Dratch-The-MiddleBrick Heck’s middle-school experience just got a whole lot wackier.

TVLine has learned exclusively that The Middle has cast funnywoman Rachel Dratch (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) in the role of the youngest Heck child’s new principal, and it sounds like Brick will be one of her problem students.

“It’s a really fun story, and she’s got a really fun character to play,” says The Middle‘s executive producer DeAnn Heline of the early Season 5 episode. “[Incoming sixth-grader] Brick hasn’t been going to classes; he gets a little confused.”

And exactly what kind of administrator will Dratch’s character be? “Middle-school prinicipal has to be the worst job in the world,” says Heline, with a laugh, “so she’s over it.”

Excited about Dratch hopping aboard The Middle‘s wagon? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (20)

• Love her. Happy about this casting news.

Comment by Mark – August 15, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is often so much better and more relateable than Modern Family. I wish it got the esteem and numbers that MF does.

Comment by DV – August 15, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU! I love it when people realize The Office clone Modern Family isn’t as great as everyone thinks it is.

Comment by Tom Charles – August 15, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Modern Family is completely iverrated. They had one good season and have been nosediving since, meanwhile, The Middle has been consistantly funny,

Comment by Ann – August 15, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show. Especially Darrin. He’s my favorite character. I wouldn’t even watch if he wasn’t on.

Comment by Tim Smith – August 15, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just as Billy replied I’m blown away that a single mom can get paid $7180 in one month on the computer. have you read this link… W­W­W.ℂ­ℕ­ℕ­1­3.C­O­M

Comment by Alissa Oakman – August 15, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cracked up with Brick’s last principal, Dave Foley, asking him “Have you seen the kids in the hall?” last season. Dratch is always a good addition.

Comment by Dan – August 15, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wasn’t the principal he was a counselor but that was a great line. I was all “THEY WENT THERE! AWESOME! “

Comment by Tom Charles – August 15, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Middle and adore Rachel Dratch. Can’t wait to see this. “By the way, it’s official. I can’t have children!”

Comment by bill – August 15, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the few shows that actually makes me belly laugh-every character on the show is so dysfunctional and hilarious! Love Rachel Dratch, too. I was just wondering what she was doing with her career after SNL. #Lucalean

Comment by Tammy – August 15, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love The Middle, but it is very, very hard for me to suspend my disbelief and buy Patricia Heaton as a down-home salt-of-the-earth woman.

Comment by justchexin@gmail.com – August 15, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Because her politics differ from yours? Be less of a jerk and try to be more tolerant. I know it’s hard for someone who is apparently hateful, but please try.

Comment by Caitlin P – August 16, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow. You didn’t just jump to a conclusion, you took a swan dive at it.

Comment by Delia – August 16, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree MF had one great season but the Middle has had a great season year in year out.

Comment by Joe – August 16, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not trying to be unkind, but that is NOT a flattering pic. At first glance, I almost thought I was looking at Gollum.

Comment by Malachi – August 16, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even she admits to not being “drop dead gorgeous”, going back to her SNL days. To be extremely crude, nice rack, though.

Comment by Bob – August 16, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a watcher of this show, but love Rachel. How has she not gotten more prime time regular gigs? She’s awesome.

As far as Modern Family, so disappointed in that show lately. It still has its moments, but there are definitely funnier and better shows on tv today.

Comment by Jrs – August 16, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was supposed to be one of the co-leads in 30 Rock, but the suits at NBC wanted a “prettier leading character”, so she was dropped at the last minute. Tina Fey tried writing her into several episodes the first season, but then she was completely dropped.

Comment by Bob – August 16, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy she is back on TV. Might watch The Middle now, this episode at least.

Comment by Eddie – August 16, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy “The Middle”, it is good comedy and as another poster said, people can relate to it. Every character is great, and they have some wonderful guest stars too. I do hope it will get recognized come emmy time someday. Creativity and Talent should be rewarded.

Comment by JBC – August 17, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post