Exclusive

The Middle Exclusive: Rachel Dratch Cast as Brick's Middle-School Principal

Rachel-Dratch-The-MiddleBrick Heck’s middle-school experience just got a whole lot wackier.

TVLine has learned exclusively that The Middle has cast funnywoman Rachel Dratch (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) in the role of the youngest Heck child’s new principal, and it sounds like Brick will be one of her problem students.

“It’s a really fun story, and she’s got a really fun character to play,” says The Middle‘s executive producer DeAnn Heline of the early Season 5 episode. “[Incoming sixth-grader] Brick hasn’t been going to classes; he gets a little confused.”

And exactly what kind of administrator will Dratch’s character be? “Middle-school prinicipal has to be the worst job in the world,” says Heline, with a laugh, “so she’s over it.”

Excited about Dratch hopping aboard The Middle‘s wagon? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mark says:

Love her. Happy about this casting news.

2. DV says:

This show is often so much better and more relateable than Modern Family. I wish it got the esteem and numbers that MF does.

• Tom Charles says:

THANK YOU! I love it when people realize The Office clone Modern Family isn’t as great as everyone thinks it is.

• Ann says:

Agreed. Modern Family is completely iverrated. They had one good season and have been nosediving since, meanwhile, The Middle has been consistantly funny,

3. Tim Smith says:

I love the show. Especially Darrin. He’s my favorite character. I wouldn’t even watch if he wasn’t on.

4. just as Billy replied I’m blown away that a single mom can get paid $7180 in one month on the computer. have you read this link… W­W­W.ℂ­ℕ­ℕ­1­3.C­O­M

5. Dan says:

I cracked up with Brick’s last principal, Dave Foley, asking him “Have you seen the kids in the hall?” last season. Dratch is always a good addition.

• Tom Charles says:

He wasn’t the principal he was a counselor but that was a great line. I was all “THEY WENT THERE! AWESOME! “

6. bill says:

I love the Middle and adore Rachel Dratch. Can’t wait to see this. “By the way, it’s official. I can’t have children!”

7. Tammy says:

One of the few shows that actually makes me belly laugh-every character on the show is so dysfunctional and hilarious! Love Rachel Dratch, too. I was just wondering what she was doing with her career after SNL. #Lucalean

8. justchexin@gmail.com says:

I really love The Middle, but it is very, very hard for me to suspend my disbelief and buy Patricia Heaton as a down-home salt-of-the-earth woman.

• Caitlin P says:

Why? Because her politics differ from yours? Be less of a jerk and try to be more tolerant. I know it’s hard for someone who is apparently hateful, but please try.

9. Joe says:

I agree MF had one great season but the Middle has had a great season year in year out.

10. Malachi says:

Not trying to be unkind, but that is NOT a flattering pic. At first glance, I almost thought I was looking at Gollum.

• Bob says:

Even she admits to not being “drop dead gorgeous”, going back to her SNL days. To be extremely crude, nice rack, though.

11. Jrs says:

I’m not a watcher of this show, but love Rachel. How has she not gotten more prime time regular gigs? She’s awesome.

As far as Modern Family, so disappointed in that show lately. It still has its moments, but there are definitely funnier and better shows on tv today.

• Bob says:

She was supposed to be one of the co-leads in 30 Rock, but the suits at NBC wanted a “prettier leading character”, so she was dropped at the last minute. Tina Fey tried writing her into several episodes the first season, but then she was completely dropped.

12. Eddie says:

So happy she is back on TV. Might watch The Middle now, this episode at least.

13. JBC says:

I really enjoy “The Middle”, it is good comedy and as another poster said, people can relate to it. Every character is great, and they have some wonderful guest stars too. I do hope it will get recognized come emmy time someday. Creativity and Talent should be rewarded.