Orange Is the New Black: Is Laura Prepon Leaving Netflix's Jailhouse Drama?

Get More: Casting News

Orange Is the New Black Laura Prepon LeavingRecurring is the new series regular?

Though Laura Prepon appeared in all 13 episodes of Orange Is the New Black‘s freshman season, she’ll be around for only a few Season 2 installments, Buzzfeed reports.

RELATEDOrange Is the New Black Promotes Actress

According to the site, Prepon will show up to resolve the storyline of her character Alex — aka the drug-running ex of series protagonist Piper… and the reason the prison newbie is doing time. However, the actress does not have a contract for the Netflix drama’s forthcoming second season.

Before you start organizing a beatdown, Alex-and-Taylor ‘shippers, consider this: Netflix, which did not comment on the Buzzfeed story, tells The Huffington Post that reports of Prepon’s departure “are not accurate. Our season is still developing and nothing is confirmed.”

Orange fans, does the (posssible) change in Prepon’s status have you feeling the jailhouse blues? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (73)

• NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Beth – August 14, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!! Alex is one of my favorite characters!!

Comment by Shazzer – August 14, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Alex and Piper storyline was the best one of the season. Very up and down, and their chemistry was great. I really hope this isn’t true. Laura Prepon just recently did an interview and didn’t mention anything. I hope this isn’t true, but this rumor had to come from somewhere.

Comment by S – August 14, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Everyone is overreacting to this rumor. She does not have a contract for season 2. There are a lot of reasons for that. I’m an actor. Lots of times you work as a recurring character in a series while your agent tries to get you on as a series regular, with series regular money.

These Netflix series are doing it a whole new way releasing all 13 shows for the season at once.
          House of Cards got 8 Emmy nominations, and Orange Is The New Black is even more popular in the ratings than House Of Cards. Netflix series are a little different.

It may be that she is holding out for more money. Or the writers could decide that they want to wrap that character and move on to other story lines. 3 of the cast who were recurring characters are now contracted as series regulars. The little Christian girl, the black crazy girl who wanted to make Piper her wife, and the gal who couldn’t make it on the outside and did a crime to get back in.

Comment by Ted Sutton – August 15, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If you’re such an expert on OITNB, please don’t call her “crazy”. Her name is Sue and a big part of her story is that she is pretty normal. She knows what she does is odd and has her episodes. But calling her crazy is missing the point.

Comment by Blaine – August 17, 2013 08:38 AM PDT
    • whoever the director is i wont watch anything they make not movie commercial or tv show if the have anything to do with laura prepon not being in the second season The only reason I will watch the second season is just to see how bad the show will be without her if shes not there

Comment by Crystal McHottness – October 12, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would not be shocked if she ends up taking the fall for Piper’s actions at the end of finale, and she gets transferred to a (mild spoiler) maximum-security prison.

Comment by a – August 14, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m actually completely with you on this guess. They’re trying to find a way out for her at least temporarily and nothing would make more sense than her going out for the woman she fell in love with. They did say that they didn’t close their doors to her.

Comment by Angela Swanson (@MadHelica) – September 9, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…the main character’s name is Piper, not Taylor. Taylor is the first name of the actress who plays Piper Chapman. Glad to know that people who write about the shows also watch them

Comment by Guest – August 14, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slip of the mind, is all. Thanks for the heads-up. — KSR

Comment by Kimberly Roots – August 14, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “…Alex-and-Taylor ‘shippers…” It’s either “Alex-and-Piper” or “Laura-and-Taylor”.

Comment by Bob – August 16, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Piper, not Taylor.

Comment by Amy – August 14, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay well I’m not very happy about this. To be honest, I wouldn’t be happy about almost anyone leaving besides Piper’s annoying boyfriend. It’s such an amazing show.

Comment by Austin – August 14, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sux.

Comment by Leigh – August 14, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is the point of getting us to care about the central romantic relationship of a hugely buzzed about show only to yank it away a couple weeks later? Someone shoulda locked that @#$%&* up, man.

Comment by Leigh – August 14, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should follow the book

Comment by Sarah – August 14, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well it’s a bit late for that wouldnt you say

Comment by brycealexander – August 14, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked her way more than Piper. Hope this isn’t true,

Comment by megan – August 14, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate this. I need more Alex in my life!

Comment by Ka – August 14, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haaaaaaaaaaate.

Comment by nonniemb – August 14, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont feel like this is true. Everyone is jumping on this bandwagon – don’t be upset until we know its totally true. I would be devastated but Laura was just quoted about season 2 saying “if its not broken, don’t fix it” I MEAN..COME ON PREPON we heart you! I don’t buy this just yet…

Comment by dani – August 14, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

SHE WAS THE WORST

Comment by J – August 14, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have disprespected Prepon. I’m gonna fling my pie at you.

Comment by Pennsyltucky – August 15, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME

Comment by Natasha Ednie (@NatashaEdnieNYC) – August 15, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excuse Me ” J ” I don’t like you ” J ” because you don’t like her so I dont know if you were dropped on your head when you were a baby or what but you need to erase that comment off the face of the earth or I will erase you off the face of the earth M K pumpkin

Comment by Crystal McHottness – October 12, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only one source (buzzfeed) is saying this so I doubt it’s true. She’s a main character on a very popular and critically acclaimed show, I dont think she would leave. It would be a horrible career move. I really hope it’s not true, the Alex/piper storyline is so central to the show.

Comment by Liz – August 14, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw somewhere on twitter that someone (apparently legit) said a netflix rep said this is not accurate. However, i’m kind of glad she might be gone? i like alex, i’d just like to see piper bonding with the other inmates more.

There might be a contract dispute going on which is why netflix hasn’t released a statement yet. Either way, I wonder why Prepon would just quit the best thing that’s happened to her career in years… it’s pretty much the only thing she’s been in (in an important role) that’s had great reviews and success. Is she still a scientologist? lol bc that might explain it… you know having to play a gay character and all…

Comment by Dani – August 14, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thew my pie for her!!

Comment by Laysa – August 14, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would be like a main character leaving Grey’s Anatomy – not going to happen – Oh! (see what I did there?)

Comment by cuius – August 14, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Alex and her eyebrows. Good riddance. It’s all about Taystee and Crazy Eyes anyway.

Comment by Amber – August 14, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t let this happen. Please, just….let me lay down right here and cry. No. plz. no

Comment by Brie – August 14, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. NO I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS NO NO NO NO NO.

Comment by SJ – August 14, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not going to get too worried about this yet until I hear it from the horse’s mouth. Wasn’t Natasha Lyonne’s character Nicky considered a recurring character or guest character? For the past few years, it seems that these titles are more for contractual obligations than screentime.

Comment by CR – August 14, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OITNB is about Alex and Piper, as far as I’m concerned. They have the chemistry, they have the history and the story. Without Alex it just doesn’t make sense. Not happy about this at all…

Comment by Babygate – August 14, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I shall now commence to whine)

WAH!!!! WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!! WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!

Comment by crybaby – August 14, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If an article title ends in a question mark, it means its claim is unverified.

Comment by Sam – August 14, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This totally bursts my bubble. If this is true I am broken hearted! Prepon and her character are the number one reason (besides Jenji Kohan, of course) why this show is so good.

Comment by Mimi – August 14, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Alex is out of the show I’m out 2

Comment by Sara – August 14, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope this is a hardball negotiating tactic on Prepon’s people’s side as a way to demonstrate to Netflix how important her character is to the fan base. The answer: really freakin’ important! How did you not secure her contract before the first season ended? Rookie mistake, NF. Rookie mistake. Now fix it!

Comment by Leigh – August 14, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy at all :( Netflix can’t do this – it’s gonna ruin the whole show!! :(

Comment by Hanny – August 14, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A deep sad loss for OITNB

Comment by Gregg – August 14, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure if this is good thing or not, not expecting this news. However non contract is like a soap opera doesn’t mean not still appearing on show if needed. I don’t think this should have been announced unless Laura has new role is announcing!

Comment by DavidSask – August 14, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh noes! Alex is one of the most interesting characters on this show. Her friendship with Nicky is pirceless and I would rather see Piper leaving than Alex, Taylor Swift gets on my nerves.

Comment by JSM – August 15, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do hope this isn’t true. I love the character of Alex, she’s sper cool and sexy!! Hopefully just incorrect rumour…

Comment by Cate53 – August 15, 2013 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Assuming this is true (and I’m not) why does everybody think it’s Prepon’s decision. All the article says is she doesn’t have a contract. Maybe they didn’t offer her one. It’s possible the writers just have other plans or took the story in another direction.

Comment by Jessup – August 15, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really could care less who stays and who goes. Just bring the show back. Alex and Piper make a good story line, however, there is alot of talent backing them up. Just bring the show back.

Comment by vikilee – August 15, 2013 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you to a point. There are many fantastic actresses on this show and they all have created interesting and exciting characters. The show would survive without Alex. However, I don’t want it to. I like Alex and think her complex relationship with Piper is a big part of the show.

Comment by Abbie – August 15, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Prepon has been a standout as Alex on the show, she is a terrific actress, which was one of the biggest surprises of the OITNB. She wasn’t memorable in her wishy-washy mealy-mouthed turn on October Road, but she is amazing on this show, I wouldn’t be suprised if her phone is ringing off the hook for meaty roles. Everyone on the show is great except for that creep from the American Pie movies, everytime he’s on screen my skin craws, ew.

Comment by Plum – August 15, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My spirit is broken.

Comment by Flixtser – August 15, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prepon is awful. A terrible actress. They would be wise to get rid of her.

Comment by Walkie – August 15, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hearing it’s because her boyfriend, Scott Michael Foster, talked her into giving up this gig to do his next project instead. So, basically she just David Caruso-ed her career for a dude.

Comment by Crazy Days and Nights Fan – August 15, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not quite David Caruso. He gave up his first starring gig after one year. She’s already established for “That 70′s Show”. It might be a bit closer to Mandy Patinkin.

Comment by Bob – August 16, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually okay with Alex leaving, though it would dramatically reduce the urgency of Piper’s arch. I just hope we haven’t seen the last of Ms. Claudette.

Comment by mattyc – August 15, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, at first I was shocked and pissed because she was so central to the first season, how could you have the show without her? but now, after the final scene of the finale, you know the story is taking a HUGE turn and her character could be less significant to advancing the plot. I’ll still watch.

Comment by Amanda – August 17, 2013 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Alex is an integral part of the current direction of the show. Piper is still ‘dependant’ on her. I think Alex should be transfered to a different prison 3/4 of the way through the season, only for Piper to end up there at the end of season 2.

Comment by gk – August 17, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooooooooooooooooooooooo

i love alex, she is one of the best reasons to watch the show. please keep her as a regular. laura is a very underrated actress and we need to see more of her not less. come on netflix listen to what your audience wants.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – August 19, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex and Piper make the show…their chemistry is amazing. It would be a tremendous loss for such a great show.

Comment by Ro – August 21, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s no point in doing a second season than!!!!

Comment by Anna Scoot – August 22, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is Really Good Show. Its Sad That Laura Wont be in Season 2.(Heartbroken).

Comment by Ericka – August 27, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when will it be out?????

Comment by stephjay – September 1, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will we see season 2 and will it come out all at once?

Comment by stephjay – September 1, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Prepon is the only reason I watch the show. If this ends up being true I will no longer be watching.

Comment by bri1991 – September 3, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if there is no more Alex there is no more OITNB for me…only watch it because of her…and Piper…as a couple…Piper needs to fix it somehow as she still loves Alex…that’s the main story line if they end it the whole 1st season was almost meanless….

Comment by alexisreallyhot – September 6, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As shocking as this may be, it wouldn’t be a total loss to the over all story and character development of Piper. The show could easily transition away from the conflicts with Alex and Piper, it already is showing signs of that. Piper is “breaking bad” like Bryan Cranston’s character in AMC’s ‘Breaking Bad’. She was pushed to this after so many factors and now it is truly survival of the fittest in that prison. So if Prepon’s character were to leave it would it would just mean more focus on what is becoming of Piper as well as the other characters in the show. That’s a great part of what makes up ‘Orange is the New Black’. It reveals all these people’s individuals’ lives and how they class once in this new environment and who they decide they are going to be before and after prison. Needless to say, we don’t need to worry about the show’s progress if Prepon decides to leave. She has done a lot for the show and if she needed to she could leave after a few episodes of setting that up and wrapping her story up.

Comment by Stephen Huskisson – September 7, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg Lauras gotta be in the 2nd season, it will suck if they dont put her in it.

Comment by dino – September 8, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post