Bachelor Alum Gia Allemand Dead at 29

Gia Allemand Bachelor DeadFormer Bachelor contestant Gia Allemand, who finished third during Jake Pavelka’s “On the Wings of Love” season, died today at age 29.

The reality star, who also competed in Seasons 1 and 2 of The Bachelor spinoff Bachelor Pad, had been rushed to University Hospital in New Orleans on Monday night.

UPDATE: Allemand’s family released a statement saying that her boyfriend, NBA player Ryan Anderson, discovered her in her home after a suicide attempt. “Due to a critical loss of brain and organ function, life support was withdrawn today,” the statement continued.

Allemand, a soft-spoken fan favorite with a New York accent, was photographed along with fellow franchise alumnae at a Bachelorette finale viewing party as recently as last week, including images that appeared on her Instagram account as well as that of her friend and fellow Bachelor contestant Ali Fedotowsky.

“The entire Bachelor family is tremendously saddened by the tragic passing of our friend, Gia,” the franchise’s creator and executive producer Mike Fleiss said in a statement released late Wednesday. “She was truly a sweet and generous soul. This is a devastating loss for anyone who ever knew her.”

1. Annie says:

Very tragic. I don’t understand all the mystery over her condition – it seems as if whatever stigma is attached to most causes of death these days has vanished (for celebrities, at any rate – exhibit A: Cory Monteith). But regardless, it’s tragic when ANY young person loses their life unexpectedly. I’ll say a prayer for her family & friends.

• DL says:

I’m not sure I really follow you. Are you saying we should make some kind of assumption even though we have no information whatsoever? If the cause is a mystery, it’s a mystery, and probably will be until the autopsy. We shouldn’t guess that she somehow caused harm to herself (as you seem to be implying by referencing Mr. Monteith).
      That said, it is indeed tragic, and I will pray for the family as well.

• Annie says:

No, I’m saying just what I wrote – that the decision not to release her condition was odd, as even if it *was* something other than an accident or a sudden illness, stigma has largely been erased. Please don’t read things into my words. If I want to imply something, I know how to do that – though I generally choose to state things forthrightly. As it happens, it looks as if the family has now decided to disclose that it was a suicide attempt. I’m glad they did – conversations need to happen, all across this world, about self-harm and depression.

• rowan77 says:

They hold off on saying things like “suicide” or “overdose” at first in deference to the family who is reeling from the sudden death and their first thought it to protect the memory of the family member who died. Once it sinks in, the family usually releases the actual cause of death, but not always. It’s their right to release what information they want. Even if the person is a public figure. Sometimes we never know the real reason for someone’s death.

2. Lily L says:

Such a shame. R.I.P. One always has to wonder, especially with models, what an undisclosed emergency surgery is. All I can think about is either an aneurysm or an appendectomy. Very tragic, no matter what.

3. Bobbi says:

She came across as one of the nicer, more normal contestants on that show. I’m so sad to hear this news. RIP, Gia.

• april-ann says:

I agree. She was one of the few on those shows I actually really liked which is a rare thing. She was so nice and sweet and genuine and yes, normal. It’s almost as if she didn’t fit in with the rest of them, which is of course a huge compliment.

4. CJH says:

So sad…I always thought she was one of the most beautiful Bachelor contestants.

5. flutiefan says:

NYC ABC7 said it was following a suicide attempt.

6. K2 says:

If true, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. What a shame!

• Shelle Belle says:

Understanding why people choose suicide is very hard. It takes a compassionate and loving view. If you or someone you know is struggling, try to read the book, When The Devil Visits dot com. This lady lost four family members to suicide and she a unique perspective.

7. ajintexas says:

No pity for people that kill themselves. It’s selfish and only serves to hurt everyone around you. It’s not “sad” or “tragic” when you choose to end your own life. The word you are looking for is selfish.

• jestsaying says:

I hate this whole “suicide is selfish” argument that people make. Yeah it’s “selfish”, but what isn’t? Wanting to be happy is selfish. But you don’t see people saying “how dare that person be happy when other people aren’t, that’s so selfish”. Most people who commit suicide are suffering from deep issues that they are unable to deal with. I do feel pity for people who feel that their life is so bad or unmanageable that they would rather not live. If you’ve never experienced depression, you really can’t understand or judge it. And instead of degrading others who suffer from it, you should just be grateful you don’t have to.

• MC says:

Exactly. It’s permissible to have uninformed opinions, but it’s so much better to have informed opinions from an in-depth knowledge of the subject. I would recommend that people research “manic depressives” before they glibly judge anyone. Many people are undiagnosed manic depressives and there are others who are overwhelmed by the problems in their lives.

• Trace says:

When my brother was going through this he said that when you are that depressed and suicidal you think that everyone will be better off without you anyway. They aren’t being consciously selfish, they are mentally ill and are not thinking clearly. They aren’t looking for your pity, they are looking for a way to end their pain. That is sad and tragic.

• Rachel says:

Apparently you do not understand depression. It’s an awful disease to live with. It may seem selfish but you hurt so much and feel so sadden to even leave your family and friends.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Hahaha, get mad at dead people! Completely useless, unless you really think people will decide to live with unbearable pain just so you won’t talk crap about them when they decide to end it all. You talk about selfishness, yet you have absolutely no compassion nor insight into other people’s depression, do you? You have no idea. But if yelling at dead people makes you feel better about yourself, go for it.

• ImSmarterThanYou says:

Is it not selfish to put your own “hurt” at losing them above the hurt they felt to cause them to end their life? Try your logic in reverse. You will see you are just parroting hollow, callous words that come from a lack of empathy for people who are suffering greatly.

8. Sarah says:

Wow, how about you don’t be an insensitive person and call her selfish. Has anyone close to you ever taken their own life? Unless you have personally been touched by suicide, you have no room to speak. My best wishes and prayers go to Gia’s family and friends. What a horrible time for them right now, and what pain she must have been suffering.

• ajintexas says:

What a stupid argument. I will speak on whatever topics I want on here. Don’t like it? Tough. I don’t feel sorry or sad for people that end their own lives. So many do it as the ultimate way to get back at someone or to cause them to feel guilt for the rest of their lives. I have a friend whose fiancee killed himself after she decided to break off their engagement. The note made it clear he fully intended for her to “suffer the consequences.” And she does. Screw people that do that. I really don’t care if people disagree that it is selfish either. I didn’t come up with that line of thinking, people in the mental health field did. I feel sorry when people get dealt a bad hand with illness or an accident and die. When someone who has everything in the world going for them fecides to pull something like this I just have to shake my head and think how worthless and stupid they are.

9. Shelle Belle says:

For anyone struggling with someone who has lost a loved one from suicide, read http://www.whenthedevilvisits.com. This woman lost 4 family members to suicide. She has some good insights.

10. May you rest in peace Gia Allemand. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends. Made an online memorial in your honor: http://www.thememorium.com/Memorials/gia-allemand

11. ptb says:

Always sad when someone dies but let’s be honest. Suicide? Seriously? Beautiful. Dating an NBA star. Well liked. What’s the problem? I know fame doesn’t make one happy but you have people in the world with real problems. Physical deformities, disabilities, diseases? Those people have something to complain about and draw pity but almost none commit suicide and they suffer. Tragic …but have to look at the facts.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

ptb, everyone has their own problems in life to deal with and you can’t possibly know what hers were. And I’m sure there are plenty of people in the world with deformities, disabilities, and diseases that have committed suicide. It’s weird you assume “almost none” of them have. Since you seem to be concerned that we “have to look at the facts”, do you have any statistical facts to back that claim up or are you making some wild guess? Don’t be so judgy, and if you can’t be sympathetic then just keep your opinions to yourself. Because, I, and I’m guessing many others on here, don’t give a sh*t about your opinion.

• trace says:

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It isn’t being sad, it’s like a deformity or a disease of the brain. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t just as bad as any other disease.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

I guess to you, mental illness isn’t a “real problem.” Maybe you should look into the subject some more before you comment on depression and suicide since you are ignorant about it.

12. STARSHINE7 says:

Why are the people who are seemingly “so synpathetic” also “so callous” when someone’s opinion is different then their own?… Makes me want to just kill myself and I’m not mentally ill, depressed, selfish, or ignorant. How about just being KIND to one another…just be kind.