Under the Dome Recap: All's Well That Ends Well

Under the Dome Recap Angie Is ImportantThis week on CBS’ Under the Dome, tensions over the water sitch boiled over, the Jims big and little butted heads and Julia’s encounter with the Mini Dome gave flight to a royal mystery.

RELATED | Under the Dome Renewed for Season 2

With Angie back in the mix and wanting to reopen the diner, Big Jim set out to commandeer Ollie’s well by waving around eminent domain claims — but the old coot and his small army of water-dependent farmers was having none of that. What’s more, at the close of that brief skirmish, Junior defected to the other side — a betrayal seemingly cemented when Ollie revealed that the lad’s mom didn’t die in a car “accident” years ago, as his father had told him, but in fact killed herself.

Refusing to back down, Big Jim cooked up a plan to put guns in more volunteers’ hands and storm Ollie’s place anew, but Barbie aimed to make a bigger “bang” by blowing up the damn well and thus replenish the reservoir. (This is where my background on irrigation physics bottoms out.) Barbie’s plan works, but not before a couple lives on each side (Ollie’s included) are lost in the course of Big Jim’s boondoggle — collateral damage that further drives the strong-willed men apart. Tread lightly, Barbie!

Elsewhere in the hour, Norrie’s giving Joe the big chill, believing that his tampering with the Mini Dome caused her mother Alice’s death, while Julia had her own close encounter with the now-pink egg at the epicenter of town, which caused her to “see” a second Joe who prophesied, “The monarch will be crowned.” As the episode closed, we realize that was not a nod to Kate and William’s royal baby but a butterfly tattoo on Angie’s shoulder blade.

Huh.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

QUESTIONS:

* Are we to surmise that Shy Ronnie got his mental instability from his momma? Or did her death “break” something inside him?

* How Kate Beckett-levels-of-impractical were the fashionable booties Julia wore on her and Joe’s expedition? What is she dressing for, trapped inside a dome? (Seriously, if I work from home more than two days in a row, the fashion choices get weird.)

* How refreshing was it to see bullets a-flying between feuding factions? It was, for a few minutes, as if this was a show about people trapped inside a mysterious dome with food, water and other creature comforts running out.

* Was the whole snowglobe sequence to suggest that a giant Tommy Westphall might show up outside the dome, peering in? Is that what’s going on here?!

* Is anyone else on television this week other than the awesome Dean Norris? First, Breaking Bad‘s premiere, now Big Jim’s breakdown scene…?!

* If, say, Angie represents the “monarch,” what on Earth does her being “crowned” entail?

What new questions do you have about the Dome?

1. Plum says:

Pink stars were falling, literally and finally. I’m glad we now have some mythology percolating on the show, not that looting, smashing and killing isn’t a valid theme. I welcome the Egg, and our new theory is the egg is sampling the folks in the dome, killing off the compatible ones and will re-animate them in some DNA blend with an alien race. I’m guessing Angie the former rebel and the rest of the dearly departed will end up being the Big Bad’s next season.

2. zack says:

the tattoo is a monarch butterfly…

3. Stephen says:

Am I wrong in thinking the story is progressing so quickly (given Ollie’s death already) that it raises the question of how will there be a second season at this rate? I know CBS has given the green light for second season so I’m wondering, in light of Ollie already taken out this early in the show, where would a second season’s worth of material come from? I’m guessing they’ll either slow the story line progress back down or they’re just going to never use the ending from the book and just keep the show going with newly made-up stories delaying the ending indefinitely until ratings sink. I haven’t read the books but have read the synopsis about the book online and (SPOILER:) – doesn’t Jim and Ollie die at the end of the book, Jim from toxic air and the Ollie from blowing up his own farm?

• ollie says:

SPOILER ALERT!!!! in the book yes big jim dies at the end from a heart attack due to the toxxic air in the bomb shelter. ollie is a kid in the book and still not sure if he died at the end or not. there are more answers to both questions but dont want to ruin the ending any more than I have for people who might read the book now.

• Heck, throw the book out – the show left it behind long ago.

• Why think it will do anygood? says:

You are so right! This is a ” miscarriage ” of the book, a total soap opera of $hit! SK, WTF you let theses AH of TV feed more $hit to stupid people who can’t or won’t read for $$$? You’ve got more $ then god and you sell out? U Suck! Woody Allen wanna be bitch!

• Oscar says:

Olli doesn’t die at the end of the book! he barely survives and has that soldier on the other side of the dome being with him remember? That was one of the best stories in the book, how all of Ollie’s family died but he survived, i guess they won’t be using that story here on the show.

• Whatever says:

The Producers already said that what caused the Dome on the show will NOT be the same as the Book.
      Actually Stephen King said he liked the version they will use on the show more than the one he originally used in the book

• Sio bhan says:

That’s probably because his ending sucked and he knows it. I love King, but his recent books have a habit of copping out at the end, and Under the Dome was a prime example of that. 11/22/63 went all wonky towards the end too.

• StephenM says:

Before insulting the ending you should have taken time out to consider all possible endings to this show. Before I saw the missile episode I thought about it and came up with: one, government – either ours or another; two, aliens; three, some kind of mysticism/magic (which includes wizardry, ghosts, etc.,.); religious supernatural phenomena; other paranormal powers such as mutants/psychers and anything else not covered. Now try to think up ANY ending that Isn’t silly. The only one that isn’t is government tech and when a nuke doesn’t even scratch it you can safely assume no government made it. So, my point is that saying HIS ending sucked seems to imply there is an ending (explanation) for the dome that doesn’t suck. There really isn’t one, not that I can think of, anyway. I had read somewhere, that King said after his first ‘X’ books he was tired of writing but kept doing it b/c so many ppl demanded he write more and after that, he just half-assed the rest, to spitting them out without much effort into quality. Don’t expect much from anything he’s written in the last like 15 years or so.

• StephenM says:

Btw, where did you get this info, if you can remember? I’d like to see it/hear it for myself.

• Why think it will do anygood? says:

Don’t defend this crap, if you read the book you’d know this is total $hit. And if King said that he’s a total douch!

• Pete says:

On the contrary, they are just reaching the character levels of the book. As soon as the book begins Rennie is completely in charge and taking names. They could easily make another season given they haven’t really done anything WITH material from the book yet.

4. Saabgirlatx says:

When I saw the tatoo my first thought was Angie and Jr will rule the roost ( if the egg has its way).

• StephenM says:

I firmly believe the tattoo is a writing misdirection attempt. You really think the source of the dome looked at a tattoo and made a cryptic prophecy off of it?

• Pete says:

They’ll most likely have Junior overthrow Rennie (Once Rennie’s established his dictatorship) and Angie will be behind the scenes manipulating Junior, and the “monarch” will rise.

• Len says:

Why does TVLine allow this outright full copying of articles be reported elsewhere.

Does copyright not mean anything to anyone anymore?

• RUCookie says:

I am glad that I am not the only one confused by this “trend”.

• Mihai says:

F*ck copyright! F*ck USA!

• marie says:

I’m guessing that it’s a kind of publicity. People read it elsewhere or get the link from another website and they think “This is great, what other articles are there about shows I love?” and they go straight to the source. I found TVLine because I clicked on a shared link on facebook and that is exactly what happened to me when I first read an article.

• rudy says:

If you look at her blog, it’s all about her narcissistic self. Of course she’s not going to generate original material. It’s easier taking credit for other’s work.

5. dasnake says:

I think the bads r getting theirs. The egg could/can mean a test rebirth of the world in a test tube atmosphere, if it works, fine, if not, screw it, blow the place up. Where the hell is copper, anybody?

6. M3rc Nate says:

“What new questions do you have about the Dome?” When will it get good? Please cancel the show, kill off all the characters except Barbie and make a show solely about him. Hes awesome, the actors awesome, he can actually act, and the nickname “Barbie” is awesome. That is all.

7. itsbighead says:

omfg angie is so hot

• Angelina says:

Yes, it’s especially for her that I’m watching this show. Because they took “The secret circle” off the screens… I love her, she’s so cute!

8. Nikki says:

“Monarch will be crowned”

Monarch:
    ◾Royal family – LEADER
    ◾Monarch Butterfly – ANGIE

Crowned:
    ◾Royal family/ person appointed King/ Queen/ Leader
    ◾Fruit-Crowned Fruit Dove, Grey-crowned Lorikeet: All Birds. Birds eat Butterflies. ANGIES DEATH

• carrionne says:

Angie’s death. or Angie causes the death of a leader. or the death of someone makes Angie a leader…woah, this might be it! Alice died and now Angie is back with her brother and a grief stricken Norrie. Maybe she will take care of them, open the dinner and become an important person to the community and/or the dome (see promo: she seizes)

• Sio bhan says:

Except Angie’s tattoo isn’t a monarch butterfly.

9. Katie says:

I must admit I did think of Kate Beckett when I saw the shoes in the woods. Real working women just don’t wear things like that. Pretty funny. I also agree that we are burning through storyline and they’ve already shot the finale so we’ll see what happens next season.

• Shaun says:

I thought more of Megan Hunt from Body of proof :p

• Lisa London says:

First thing I thought was “how impractical”! She would have looked just as cool in a pair of Chuck Taylors and her walk in the woods would have been way more believable.

10. ZigZagZoey says:

The tattoo didn’t look like a Monarch butterfly to me, just a random butterfly…

11. jami1331 says:

Shy Ronnie**? You mean Rennie?

12. dan says:

I haven’t read the book so I have no expectations as to what may happen, but I also wonder what they could possibly do with another season. They seem to be killing off multiple residents in each episode so pretty soon Chester’s Mill will only consist of a handful of people. Being a guest star on this show is a ticket to having your character killed: the Sheriff, the cop, Rose, Alice, Ollie. The cast list gets smaller and smaller each week. They can’t bring in new people from the outside so any additional characters will have to be introduced as people already living under the dome. I’m looking forward to the end of season one and hopefully I’ll stick around for season two next summer.

• carrionne says:

Well if we go with the theory that the dome has it’s own ecosystem, we can assume that for every unecessary (to the dome) death, there will be a birth. So SOME characters will be kept alive for the purpose of reproduction. It’s like the dome is trying to maintain the world inside it. It sent rain when the people were so panicked they started killing each other because they feared they would die of thirst. Now they have water, can grow stuff and have no reason to kill each other for they’re stuff because, technically, they have everything they need to survive. (That doesn’t account for the human factor that is Jim Rennie and his power hungry ways). My point is, the dome can’t keep killing people because it wants to maintain life. People who treathened that life will probably get die somehow (like in any show, the villains die. the ways of that to happen on this show are a little more imaginative)

13. Bandit77 says:

MOAB dropped not that long ago. Everything outside of the dome was blown flat. But when the girls were throwing the snow globes against it, all of the plants and scenery were back! Anyone else notice this? Also, how is the wind blowing inside the dome? It takes a change in temperature over a distance to create wind.

• Katherine215 says:

I can’t answer the wind part, but I think MOAB only destroyed one side of the dome. I didn’t think the entire surrounding area was supposed to have been destroyed.

• Bandit77 says:

Thanks, that really helped. I think the dome is supposed to be 5 miles radius or 5 miles diameter. I just pictured the explosion being much larger.

• RaRa says:

I’m not sure how large an area is required in order for the necessary air temperature changes to create wind. As air heats, it begins to rise. As the heated air begins to rise, cooler, heavier air flows, and that is wind. Could the several miles inside the dome, including a lake and a forest, create the temperature differences necessary? I haven’t found anything online to address how large an area is required.

• Bandit77 says:

Thanks for your answer! It just looked strange in the earlier episodes when a strong wind was blowing the background limbs around.
        It seems that the writers of the show have completely departed from the source material, anyway. If the interior of the dome becomes self sustaining, with its own environment, agriculture, and societal structure, then it would no longer need the outside dome world to exist. But keeping my future predictions for the show secret at this point may be wisest.
        If the dome has a 5 mile radius, then it is well within the habitable atmospheric troposphere, anyway. But greenhouses usually get hotter than the outside world due to its containment of sunlight and lack of ventilation. I really hope that the show addresses these points in the near future.

• Angelina says:

Thanks for that. Because IMO this is a big, big mistake! The missile was thrown right on the top of the dome, so logically everything around was killed, not just on one side. They maybe shot the scene before others belonging to the previous episode, that’s what I think. It makes no sense that every single plant was killed just on one side and the other is just flourishing… Let’s see in the coming episodes what the other side of the dome looks like…

14. At least CBS/Brighthouse (aka Time Whinerer) aired it this week.

15. jasper says:

Another great episode. When people complain about killing of characters and no more stories for season 2, think about Lost. They went on for five more season on a isolated island!

• rudy says:

And the final episode was validation that I had just wasted five years of watching Lost. I’m not falling into that trap again. I went and got the Under the Dome book from the library and I’m reading that. No over wrought drama for the sake of extending a series. ABC should have left UtD as a miniseries.

16. The show is so disappointing compared to the book. I wish that they would have followed the book much more closely — actually except for the dome it doesn’t follow the book at all. Junior in the book was such a more chilling character than what is happening on TV. He is lame compared to the book. Angie was killed by Junior right away in the book and then Junior kept her body in the pantry (and accumulated a few others) and would sleep with them for comfort as he had a brain tumor and was going nutso. As for Big Rennie — total psycho in book with taking over town, etc. He is another lame story line on TV. Pink stars falling – was just a meteor shower where they looked pink from the pollution in the dome (according to the book). And I miss the Chef from the book with the meth lab. The show is totally disappointing.

• Whatever says:

The Junior in the book was seriously messed up !

• K Drynan says:

I agree – I am having a hard time watching this because everyone seems so much more lame than in the book. Phil Bushey (the DJ on the show) is the chef in the book. Junior is just dumb on the show, and even Big Jim does haven’t anywhere near the level of malevolance as the book. My least favourite is Julia – this girl in the show seems like an imposter!

• RaRa says:

Fortunately for me, I heard about the TV series coming out, before I got around to reading the book, so I have skipped that book and delayed reading it until later, for precisely that reason. I didn’t want any preconceived notions or comparisons, which are usually unfavorable after reading a SK book. I feel badly for all those who read the book first. That must really suck.

• rudy says:

Why would it suck that people experienced, first, the better of the two options? If presented filet mignon and a quarter pounder, which would you eat first?

• rudy says:

This series doesn’t even come CLOSE to capturing Junior’s character as written in the book. He’s a complete psychotic freak in book, very chilling.

17. Cate Amos says:

So the sheriff has witnessed wanton looting and pillaging over batteries, several homicides, and random jackassery since the dome came down. What makes her think a group of farmers will comply with Eminent Domain? Also, why couldn’t Linda have done everyone a favor and locked Junior in that cell? She saw him gun down the Dundee brother who was running away from him. Is she really that desperate for deputies?

18. Danny Lynn says:

I also did not read the book first. It seems book and video games never translate well on screen. So, I have no idea what SK’s original msg or intent is, or was.

I would guess the problems inside the mini-ecosystem are meant to illustrate global issues with climate changes, overpopulation, environmental destruction, and social collapse.

If I were writing the show…I would make the dome an alien experiment meant to teach humans a lesson.

19. Bandit77 says:

My feeling is that the dome does represent a small example of the larger earths environmental and societal problems. But it could also exist to begin a “Noah’s Ark” type scenario, where the people aren’t trapped inside the dome, but everyone else is trapped outside the dome.

20. topsyturvy says:

While I’m in the shallow end of the pool, Junior’s cop uniform pants need to be tighter.

21. Alia says:

I think “the monarch will be crowned” is connected to the scene they showed from next week’s episode in which Angie is having a “the pink stars are falling in lines” seizure.

22. Alia says:

Also, no mention of Phil’s gunshot wound?

23. Chris Kelley says:

One thought: I understand that I may be in the minority here, and this isn’t to take away from Dean Norris’ performance on the show, which has been very good indeed…but for me, at least, it may have been a bit too early to have cast him in this role.

While ‘Breaking Bad’ is still on the air, I can’t disassociate him from Hank. When Big Jim pointed the gun at Junior, it was one of those moments where it really struck me thus. “No, Hank! Don’t YOU break bad, too!”

24. Kenny says:

I thought the egg is kind of like a world egg or cosmic egg.