The Following Exclusive: Boss' Connie Nielsen Joins Season 2 as [Spoiler]'s New Love Interest

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

the following connie nielsenThe Following continues to expand its flock, adding inimitable Boss actress Connie Nielsen to its Season 2 cast as a series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | The Following @ Comic-Con: [Spoiler] to Return for the Killer Drama’s Season 2

This marks the Fox hit’s second major Season 2 hire, following last week’s casting of Dexter‘s Sam Underwood as a young man who may or may not be a follower of the “late” Joe Carroll (James Purefoy)

Nielsen, who is also known to TV audiences as Law & Order: SVU‘s Det. Dani Beck, will next be seen on the big screen in Lars Von Trier’s Nymphomaniac and McG’s Three Days of Kill opposite Kevin Costner.

Comments (39)

• So…..I guess this means us Naalie Zea fans shouldn’t waste our time on S2. Seems the writing is on the wall.

Comment by Whoops – August 11, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really a big fan of Claire (thought she was kinda whiny) but it’s pretty obvious that she’ll die now, right? Kinda having doubts about the second season..

Comment by Tish – August 11, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the Claire character could have been written so much better. But I certainly don’t fault Natalie back. There have been stories written that she will be back but not in what capacity. This casting makes it obvious in my opinion that she won’t be back in a useful way or be driving story. Disappointing. I feel like this second season is going to be a total 180 from last and not true to the characters we met last season.

Comment by Whoops – August 11, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I thought she and Kevin Bacon had pretty good chemistry. Oh well.

Comment by Maria – August 11, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Natalie is in like 4 TV shows right now…maybe is was just to much

Comment by Michele – January 27, 2014 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is horrible anyway. I am super unimpressed with Kevin Bacons acting in this show.

Comment by Kellie – August 11, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is so bleak anyway and Bacon is so one-note as the depressed morose hero. The events at the end of last season will just make him more dysfunctional. Plus with the way TPTB kill off characters you know that this is Shawn Ashmore’s season to die, as will Connie of course. Though the casting of Sam Underwood, who’s done a number of good things off-Broadway is excellent news.

Comment by Queerbec – August 11, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bacon can only do o much with bad material. The writing were terrible. The acting talents of the entire cast were wasted last season. I feel like TPTB see their mistakes from last season but now they’re going to do things so different to fix things that the show won’t be good at all.

Comment by Whoops – August 11, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “The writing were terrible”

Comment by B – August 11, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your grammar could use some improvements, too.

Comment by Clarence – August 13, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW, where is the show filmed?

Comment by Queerbec – August 11, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Following is filmed in NY

Comment by Yeah!!! – August 11, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. This gives Natalie more time for Justified, a far superior show all around.

Comment by jbkr73 – August 11, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, but the Raylan/Winona storyline has kind of run its course. How much more can they actually do with that couple. And from an acting standpoint it would seem pretty unfulfilling for Natalie to go back permanently

Comment by Whoops – August 11, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gosh …

it’s Always Good To See Her ^^

great news !!

Comment by Mia – August 11, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give her 8 episodes before she is killed off.

Comment by Midori – August 11, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • since there has been over 8 episodes already ur comment is invalid

Comment by Chad Warren – August 13, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This, combined with the TV Guide exclusive article saying that Natalie would be returning to the show which mysteriously disappeared from this site, makes me think that Natalie may have reconsidered and decided to jump this sinking ship. Which totally sucks. Not a great way run a TV show….Have the audience invest in characters and a storyline that is just gonna be totally ignored the very next season. Poor writing has doomed which could have been a terrific show.

Comment by Broke1 – August 11, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It isn’t the first show that had had a key character killed off at the end of the first season, then had the reprucussions be part of the show, even without the actual actor/actress being a physical part of it.

Also, the article from tv guide made it clear that just because Natalie Zea was returning, it didn’t mean that it was for long.

Comment by JEst – August 11, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know that Natalie prob wasn’t returning as a full time regular, I just find it odd that that exclusive, that said she would be returning, was removed from TV Guide. All the other articles are written based on that original one. So it was removed and Natalie hasn’t really been mentioned in any press since and now this casting news. Makes me think she’s not retuning at all and will die in the first new ep.

Comment by Broke1 – August 11, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys crazy. I loved this show. My favorite show of the year. Got dumb in places but I thought it rocked.

Comment by Bean – August 11, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is a great show, hence in article in even states its one of Fox’s hit shows and its ratings were awesome. great acting, all it was flawed at was cops being stupid but they said they would work on that this season. all the haters should just go back to their own shows and leave ours alone.

Comment by jonathon – August 11, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hating watching is part of the reason why this show is still alive.

Comment by hipper – August 11, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Excactly. It was such a colossal trainwreck each week I couldn’t look away.

Comment by tripoli – August 11, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This show is so much fun. If it’s not for you, change the channel. I love all the twists. I need season 2 now. I miss Joe Carroll.

Comment by Love – August 11, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • HaHaHaHa, your a fool. The show was bad ass, the fact anyone and everyone could and did die, was awesome. The following was the bloodiest and most murderous show on tv. Some of the writing could of been better, but “total train wreak”? Not even close, your a moron.

Comment by skytzo425 – August 12, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s the only reason I didn’t jump ship. Hate watch/tweeting is just as enjoyable as watching a show you love, lol :)

Comment by kavyn – August 11, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait wait wait! Is Mike Jimmy Olsen?!?! My brain just exploded.

Comment by Iris – August 11, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jimmy Olsen was played by Aaron Ashmore, Mike is Shawn Ashmore, his twin brother. Shawn was also in X-Men (and Animorphs, which made him my first celebrity crush because I was obsessed with that series)

Comment by Lauren – August 11, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best Twins EVER! I love the X-men and Smallville, Shawn Ashmore was also a recurring charactar in Smallville, playing a dude who stole powers. Now you mentioned it i started googling and so my obsession begins….

Comment by Iris – August 12, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s too good for this show.

Comment by FtheFreys – August 11, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give it 3 seasons

Comment by Hans – August 12, 2013 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. There are bad shows on TV. This is not one of them. Get real.

Comment by Kisses – August 13, 2013 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…haters
    Kevin Bacon’s character is depressed and marose! Not his acting. Look at the shot the character has gone through. He’s a hard core alcoholic with PTSD! Duh!

Comment by Jeff – August 13, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. It was a little too violent for me at times, but it was so disturbing that it kept my interest.

Comment by Cathy Kiley – August 14, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If u like blood and murder you must wstch Dexter. The best show I’ve ever watched and so sad this is the last season. I would watch Michael C Hall in anything.

Comment by jenny – August 14, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greenhouses can also be built using landscape gardening and they can be incorporated inside of the garden
    collectively with a chilly-body. They are designed to last indefinitely and are made of a high percentage recycled products.
    The garden landscapes are important for beautifying
    environment.

Comment by simple Organic gardening Tips – October 19, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nielsen will play Lily Gray, a Soho art dealer who finds herself in a bit of trouble. When Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) comes to her aid, a connection begins to form which causes even more problems for her.

Comment by Senyawa Organik – January 23, 2014 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can anyone tell me the name of the art work on Lily Gray’s wall. If it even is a real painting. Its one on season 2 ep 3 with the humans as animals fighting. She remarks its humans in their ‘purist form’.
    I love the painting.