Emotional Lea Michele Remembers Glee's Cory Monteith: 'He Became a Part of All Our Hearts'

Get More: Glee, In Memoriam

Lea Michele remembers Cory MonteithIn her first on-camera appearance since the death of boyfriend/Glee costar Cory Monteith, Lea Michele thanked fans for their support during “these very difficult past weeks” and assured them that “with your love, we’re going to get through this together.”

Honored at Sunday night’s Teen Choice awards for Choice TV Actress in a Comedy, Michele opened by saying, “I just wanted to be here today to personally thank all of you and tell everyone out there how much all of your love and support has meant to me over these very difficult past weeks.”

RELATED | Fox Boss Previews Glee‘s Finn Tribute Episode and Plan for PSA

Growing increasingly emotional throughout her speech, Michele continued, “Not that I had any doubt before, but you guys are most certainly the greatest fans in the world.” Dedicating her award to Monteith, she said, “For all of you out there who loved and admired Cory as much as I did, I promise that with your love we’re going to get through this together.”

Fighting back tears, she wrapped by expressing, “He was very special to me, and also to the world, and we were very lucky to witness his incredible talent, his handsome smile and his beautiful, beautiful heart. So whether you knew him personally or just as Finn Hudson, Cory reached out and became a part of all of our hearts — and that’s where he’ll stay forever.”

Previously, Michele had only used a brief tweet to comment publicly on Monteith’s death (which was caused by a mixed drug toxicity that involved heroin and alcohol).

RELATEDGlee Season 5 Production and Premiere Date Delayed in Wake of Cory Monteith’s Death

Just moments prior, the Glee cast at large had dedicated their award for Choice TV Comedy to Monteith, with Amber Riley noting the affable actor was “always ready to sign an autograph or take a picture with a fan…. He loved you Gleeks.”

Comments (66)

• Yawn…

Comment by merp – August 11, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re disgusting.

Comment by Jared – August 11, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly do we need a new article every time lea breathes on here? Many people in the cast were affected by his death, but she’s getting every ounce attention for it – on here and on every other news site. Seriously, it’s like the saddest and best thing to happen to her career.

Comment by Amanda – August 11, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And apparently the best thing to happen to your troll career…

Comment by SpringAwakeningFan – August 11, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes. Pointing out a major slant in reporting is me being a troll. The article should have been about the whole cast. Instead the rest got one paragraph. It’s wrong.

Comment by Amanda – August 11, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The rest of the cast wasn’t f?#king him.

Comment by clamzilla – August 11, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right, because the rest of the cast was about to move in with him after he returned from Vancouver. She didn’t just lose a cast mate or friend, she lost the man she loves. Where is your respect?!

Comment by Jillian – August 11, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lea Michelle is a good woman for wanting Glee to go on and being out in public. I could only imagine how much her heart has been broken by the one she’s loves death. She’s a damn good woman and Amanda do me a favor find a heart or a soul.

Comment by Gleefanbaby – August 17, 2013 10:46 AM PDT
    • You know they were in a relationship, right? She’s been the focus of a lot of the public reaction because she was his girlfriend as well as a castmate. She helped his mother plan his funeral, she helped Ryan Murphy plan a memorial on set, and now she’s helping them plan how to handle Finn’s death on the show. I’m sure the entire cast is dealing with his loss and there’s no point comparing pain, but you can’t deny she’s had to deal more directly with the aftermath here than most. Honestly, I wish the media would leave her alone to grieve but even I’m not surprised that they’re focusing on her.

Comment by Caitlin – August 11, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • don’t bother. The OP is nothing but a pathetic troll who clearly has never lost anyone in her life.

Comment by sara – August 11, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said.

Comment by Lauren – August 12, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When your Fiance dies two weeks before your wedding, damn straight is she allowed some limelight.

Comment by Aresdi – August 11, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • WHAT? They weren’t engaged to be married in two weeks…

Comment by neha – August 11, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Commenter above me is right. It was a false rumor that they were about to get married. Maybe eventually, but they weren’t planning to anytime soon.

Comment by C – August 11, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are an idiot.

Comment by Really – August 11, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because she was his girlfriend & they were in love. Shame on you.

Comment by didi – August 11, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It never ceases to amaze me how deeply devoid of compassion or empathy some commenters can be – just because somebody’s a celebrity doesn’t mean that she doesn’t bleed like everyone else. Lea was Cory’s girlfriend as well as co-worker and she’s suffering a tragic loss, so get over yourself and think before judging!

Comment by angelowal – August 11, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say the Lea is the “best thing” to happen to her own career. I’m not sure if you know this, but if you type in a different address in the address bar, you can avoid the “bias” altogether. Not everyone knows that they can visit a different site or change the channel or read a different blog instead of whining like little twats.

Comment by Michael Angelo – August 11, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with you, Amanda. I find it very tabloid-y of TVLine to be reporting every time she does/says something, but hey, if that gets them clicks they’re not gonna stop.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 11, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep. You’re here, aren’t you?

Comment by Calli – August 12, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Then why click on the article? Don’t misconstrue what I posted. Do I think it’s deplorable that the true fans and such aren’t allowed their time to grieve? This show is watched by a lot of teens that process things differently.
          That said Amy has a voice and opinion. She has every right to say something. It’s not like the coverage of Glee has truly unchanged that much. I believe the kids…fans want to know the cast is okay. I just don’t get picking on the ones that were touched by his death and her tribute. You don’t have to click the link, read the article and comment yet you did. So the click you made…to complain about people’s emotions and such…just put cash into someone’s wallet.

Comment by justmytwocents – August 12, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um except that isn’t true nearly all the cast members have spoken about Cory they even did last night.

Comment by jim – August 12, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her speech made me bawl. She’s an incredibly strong young woman.

Comment by a – August 11, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such an inspiration. Truly made me cry.

Comment by Mary Kate – August 11, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So touching. It is always sad to lose someone. :(

Comment by Kim R – August 12, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Losing someone is definitely not easy and I hope her work proves a suitable and helpful distraction for her. She’s always struck me as a very strong woman and I’ll definitely be keeping a good thought for her.

Comment by Discord – August 11, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her speech was beautiful and loved her words to the fans

Comment by beautiful – August 11, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her acceptance speech made me bawl for a good 30-minutes. Anybody that still has anything negative to say about her after that heartbreaking speech should just not bother commenting on these stories, because personally, I don’t see the point. Nobody wants to see you disrespect a man who was quite clearly loved by millions across the globe. Lea and Cory were the perfect match, he’s the reason she’s been able to soldier on and start back at Glee so soon after a tragedy like that. They inspired each other and in return for our support, they inspire us. Lea Michele is the type of role model this world needs, she’s clever, brave, determined and just generally strong in every possible way. Tonight at the Teen Choice Awards she was the epitome of strength. RIP Cory Monteith.

Comment by allthingsentertainment94 – August 11, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Said!

Comment by Debbie Schmidt – August 11, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not that I necessarily disagree, but the entire point of a comments section is for people to you know, leave comments. Good or bad.

Comment by Trent – August 11, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I understand that; if it’s an article about a new plot-line or characters departing a show, that people should be able to comment ‘good or bad’. But in this case, I don’t see how or why people would want to comment nasty things. People speaking ill of the dead is vile, so in some circumstances (for instance this article) I believe if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it. That’s just my opinion.

Comment by allthingsentertainment94 – August 12, 2013 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nicely said :)

Comment by angelowal – August 12, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful tribute speech. She eloquently stated how everyone who had a moment with Cory (either in real life or through a tv screen) has felt since his passing. Praying for her to continue to stay strong through this.

Comment by Lauren – August 11, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele is the strongest woman in Hollywood. She showed grace, strength, bravery and courage to make that speech in front of millions of people.

Comment by K – August 11, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She managed to put on a smile for fans because that’s how much she values us, and it’s really amazing that she was able to do that with everything she was feeling. It’s above and beyond what anybody who didn’t know Cory could be experiencing, but here she is, trying to make sure the pain of others is acknowledged. It’s incredible that she has the strength and generosity of spirit to do that. Everyone would understand if she didn’t show her face publicly for awhile longer, but she’s thinking about other people. Chris talked about Cory recently and you just wish you could give that whole cast a hug.

Comment by scooby – August 11, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Lea Michele’s speech was emotional. It had me in tears. Very inspirational.

Comment by Justin Burnell – August 11, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really couldn’t help but tear up a bit while watching her acceptance speech. I can’t imagine all the feelings that will be taking over during the tribute episode, if after just watching her accept an award got me sad.

Comment by A – August 11, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cried after her speech and was deeply inspired by the strength of Lea Michele. Anyone who ever lost anyone close to them understands what it took for her to make that speech and how painful it must have been for her. How dare people crticize her and say she is getting too much attention. You have to be made of steel and never have loved to make that statement. I have so much respect for her.

Comment by MB – August 11, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea is such a strong woman and I am proud to be a fan of hers and a Gleek in general.

Comment by Jillian – August 11, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh, I cried after her speech. This is still so, so devastating.

Comment by Ella – August 11, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that his death was sad. He was young, and it’s always sad when something dies after a battle with drugs. But, he was a mediocre actor and a not-so-great singer, just on a good show. So, yes his friends and co-stars should be sad, but to the public…. It’s been LNG enough. It’s time to move on.

Comment by GTS – August 11, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One thing that people who put down various music, actors, shows, movies, etc., in general seem to forget is that the way we all perceive these things are subjective. You may think he is a mediocre actor, but somewhere else in the world there might be someone who thinks he’s the most amazing and fantastic actor they’ve ever seen or that he’s one of the few singers they like. Everyone has their opinions on his talent and talent in general. Do I think he was the greatest actor? No. But, I did enjoy him presence on the show and I do like his voice. Television, film, music, etc., all have an effect on people in different ways and it’s a big part of our lives that we get attached to. We all deal with the loss of it in our own ways. People may still be sad. His death is still very recent. Let them react how they want.

Comment by A – August 11, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He may have not been a great singer but he was a very good actor. You must have missed all the critical praise Cory got from so many TV critics here on tvline, on avclub, tvguide, and TIME. to name a few. Look up some of the reviews of the Goodbye finale episode of Season 3. The critics were unanimous in their praise for the performance in that episode. His character may not have been as flashy and colorful as some others on that show but Cory embodied the vulnerability of the everyman Finn with grace, talent and subtle charisma.

Comment by Kath – August 11, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares about this anymore? Cory obviously didn’t care enough to go ahead and use heroin and alcohol. He dug his own grave. And we’re suppose to feel sorry for him every minute? Not thanks. Also, he’s getting way too much attention because of his “handsome smile”. If he was some average looking dude, nobody would really care. Goodnight, Cory.

Comment by Chrisssssssssss – August 11, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. People care about his death because they knew who he was. This wasn’t an average person who OD’d, it was someone famous. That is why people care, or because they saw a picture of a pretty boy they’d never heard of before in the newspaper.

Comment by GTS – August 11, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be easy to be angry with you, but all I think I can do is hope, truly, that you never experience the loss of someone close to you due to addiction. It would really upset you later to think about the glibness you had for the loss of Cory when you’re on the receiving end of it. I hope for your sake that you won’t be.

Comment by scooby – August 11, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, this was well said. I think it’s beautiful when people can react to negativity, not with anger, but with compassion, so thank you for this.

Comment by Kay – August 12, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is blaming anyone else? Of course it was his own doing. But FYI you can be a drug addict and still be a good person who is loved by friends and family. Not all drug addicts are dirty criminals or nasty people. Cory was loved and will be missed, particularly by Glee fans who have watched him for the past 5 years. I’m not sure why people like yourself are trying to make it seem like he shouldn’t be mourned or that the media shouldn’t cover the story.

Comment by Lauren – August 12, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know nothing about drug addiction chrissssss. Stop being such an ass. You are a cold hearted person and very ignorant . People like you need to learn about a few things in life cause you are a very stupid person

Comment by Diavans – August 17, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A really beautiful tribute. That was a very hard thing for her to do and I admire her courage.

Comment by luli303 – August 11, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is wrong with people. If you’re bored of reading things about her don’t read them how rude do you have to be to post on here that you could care less about how she’s feeling. She lost someone she love and hopefully you’d never have to go through something like that but have respect for those who do and keep your yawns to yourself.

Comment by Ashton – August 11, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m more sad about the fact that she had to have a moment like this at such a shoddy “awards” show. I can think of much better places to honor Cory, even if Glee’s audience does tend to be teens. Also I kind of feel like Fox is just trying to milk his death at this point.

Comment by Lydia – August 11, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eventho i think cory is a good actor, his name isnt big enough to have his solo tribute at emmy/golden globes since james gandolfini was also passed away recently, i think if anything else, he will be in the in memoriam segment in emmy this year and SAG awards next year

Comment by Oni – August 11, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After Monteith died, a lot of the fans actively campaigned to vote for the show and cast at the Teen Choice awards. So this probably was one of the most appropriate award show to acknowledge the public at.

Comment by Amy – August 12, 2013 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In don’t usually say things on here but the disrespectful comments for the loss of a life redefines insensitive.
    No matter if you were or were not a fan of his work is irrelevant. There are a lot of young lives lost everyday. Cory’s simply connected people because it was so sudden.
    Now that being said–and be honest–if your loved one died and you read some commentary on this site how would you feel?
    I do not watch Glee but I was taught respect. I am thinking perhaps some of you need to look up the word respect.

Comment by justmytwocents – August 11, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Thank you.

Comment by Jillian – August 11, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I admit I got misty during that speech by Lea Michele – it was the only reason I gutted through the TCAs. Even if some of the commenters thought Cory Monteith was a mediocre actor, he mattered to her. It must be tough for her, but I hope that she stays strong.

And to the ones leaving negative comments… if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Comment by Steve F. – August 11, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the respect people? She lost the love of her life and her bestfriend, why trashing on her? Cory was somebody’s son, friend and lover so basically he was somebody’s something. Show some respect both to MIchele and the cast of glee. They have the right to mourn their loss. For god’s sake, try to be sympathetic and just try to understand. What has the world become of that we can’t feel sorry for them and try to understand what they are going through. I am utterly ashamed of be part of todays society where we can’t show compassion to our fellow human beings.

I feel for MIchele and I know what it’s like to lose someone that you love and I hope and pray that everyday becomes easier for her and hope that she have the strength to continue doing what she loves doing.

Comment by Kelly – August 12, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The internet brings out the worse in people So much for If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say, Don’t Say Anything.

Comment by jim – August 12, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very strong woman – I admire her for handling this the way she has. She lost a friend and someone she loves very much – in the spotlight, which can not be easy to say the least. No matter how Cory left this world – he was still someones son, friend, lover and so many people loved him. Wish it didn’t end the way it did for him – he could have accomplished so much more. I am a Gleek, from the beginning – and I’m sad to see Cory & Finn leave us – wishing the cast and crew a lot of love and support – I’m glad they have the Glee family to help them move forward.

Comment by Corinne (@Cory0706) – August 12, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so military persons killed, we hear little, this guy o.d.’s on heroine and it’s a heartbreak? wow, time to move on and let this story also move into the past. Geez

Comment by Curt – August 12, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That speech was one of the most moving things I’ve seen in awhile. She graciously thanked the fans and related her pain to theirs. Very classy.

Comment by Allison – August 12, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People are so cruel and unfeeling. Lea made a public appearance to thank her fans, specifically and directly to them last night, for their love and support. She knows that many fans, including me, have loved Cory and her. She appreciates that. It was an incredibly moving and heart felt thank you, just to dedicate it to her lost love, was so moving. I wish I could take her pain away. The season will be hard for them all. Cory was a force of nature and a wonderful guy to have as a part of their family. They called him brother. That tells a lot right there. She had such grace and compassion while holding her hand over her necklace with Cory’s name on it. She wore that proudly while they were together. Even though, it was hard to do, she showed class and grace through hard circumstances.

Comment by Cheri – August 12, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good lord, every time…
    Okay, to all those who keep saying “Who cares?” Well, apparently you do on some level, ’cause you bothered to click on and read this article. Whenever a celebrity passes, there’s going to be articles and memorial discussions and whatnot about it. This is nothing new, I don’t know why people continue to seem so shocked/annoyed by the fact. And fans of this show and the actor certainly will care about news pertaining to him and the cast at large.
    If you genuinely don’t care about this story/actor/TV show like you claim, then maybe just, I dunno, NOT respond? Why is that so hard for some people to do?

Comment by Angela – August 12, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well said Jim. The net allows you anonymity. You can be heartless and cruel because you do not have to look at the person you are talking to in the eye. Such a shame cowards have to come in and stir up a nice tribute post for those of you that are Glee fans.

Comment by justmytwocents – August 12, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post