Isaiah Washington: The 100 Will Take CW's Drama Brand to 'Mad Men, Breaking Bad' Heights

Isaiah Washington has high hopes for his new CW thriller The 100.

In an interview with TVLine at Comic-Con last month, the former Grey’s Anatomy actor predicted that the post-apocalyptic drama would usher in a prestigious new era for the network.

VIDEO | Watch The 100 Trailer Now

“The show is… taking the network to a different place that is maybe not what people are accustomed [to] watching on The CW,” Washington enthused. “The Vampire Diaries already opened up that door, but now with [exec producer] Jason Rothenberg we’re going to take it to that Mad Men and Breaking Bad level. It’s not just sci-fi.”

Press PLAY below to watch my interview with Washington (and several of his younger co-stars), and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Will you be giving The 100 a shot when it premieres at midseason?

1. MrMank says:

That’s a pretty bold statement. I’ll be checking it out, so I hope they can deliver.

• Chuck Finley says:

This guy is just arrogant and always has been. I won’t watch the show simply because he is on it, but I also doubt it will be any good anyway. There hasn’t been much recent scifi that I consider any good. Under The Dome isn’t bad but I found shows like Defiance to be pretty sub-par. I miss Star Trek and Stargate myself.

2. Wouter says:

“The Vampire Diaries already opened up that door…”

Ummm, how about no?

• Shaun says:

Um,yes…..they started doing alot of violent stuff on that show and it ushered Arrow and such into edgier territory.

• Mia says:

damn right shaun ! ^^

• Drew says:

How do you figure? Supernatural has been the most violent, goriest series on the CW ever. They were around before The Vampire Diaries. The Vampire Diaries looks like My Little Pony compared to Supernatural. And Arrow has nothing in common with TVD. At all.

And honestly, just saying that The Vampire Diaries has opened any sort of storytelling doors is a joke. Death means nothing on the show. Rape, murder, etc… none of it matters, because the people who do it are broody and have great hair. It’s fine as silly entertainment, but there is absolutely no way that it can be mistaken for anything resembling depth or quality.

• tripoli says:

Well said, Drew.The CW will always be the anmnoying luttle brother, forever in the shadow of his more popular and talented older siblings.

• Mia says:

“How do you figure? Supernatural has been the most violent, goriest series on the CW ever.”

WTF !!! REALLY ????????? O_o

i’am shocked !!! I stopped Supernatural after 6 episodes .. ( 5 years ago …) it was really boring …

1 episode = 1 story ..

I’ll give him a second chance…

• Drew says:

I have seen every episode of both (for different reasons) and they’re nowhere near the same level of quality. TVD is like the Justin Beiber of TV shows, while Supernatural is Metallica. It just hits harder in every sense.

• canadian ninja says:

I don’t watch TVD. I don’t care about TVD. But dude – saying ANY tv show is “the Justin Bieber of TV shows” is just mean and uncalled for.

• Drew says:

canadian ninja, they literally had one of the main characters on the show raping a woman for months and it never even occurred to anyone that it was rape. Nobody cared. But then his brother killed her, so it’s all good… and these are the two male leads on the show, by the by.

The Bieber comment was generous. :)

• Josh says:

So agree on this! Go Drew!

• Scott says:

Rape? Totally different show to the one I watch then. That show is just vacuous and pretty and almost nothing happens from month to month. Sometimes we get lucky and a bit of plot accidentally sneaks in.

• Drew says:

Damon’s girlfriend, Andi (or whatever her name was) was only his girlfriend because he forced her to be. He took away her ability to say no and go away. This is rape.

Fortunately, Stefan put her out of her misery by having her kill herself.

• Janie says:

Well Andi certainly wanted Damon and slept him with him of her own free will at the beginning. So she was more than willing to have a relationship with him Once he compelled her though… It does get a little iffy. The same with Caroline.

• Drew says:

The moment he told her what type of person he was, she got (rightfully) scared and tried to leave. He didn’t let her. From that moment (which was very early in their relationship) what he did to her was rape and assault. Repeatedly. For months. It isn’t iffy, it is repulsive. And the fact that nobody cared or helped that woman is disgusting. Worse is the writers who ignored what this really was and the fans who went along with it.

• Mitholas says:

Hahahahaha. Arrow as ‘edgier territory.’ Thanks for that, I needed a laugh.

3. Josh says:

What an arrogant man haha

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Well, first of all, it’s a pretty asinine thing to come out and compare your show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men and it’s a total turn-off to me. Second of all, I really doubt it’s that good. If you have to come out and tell people your show is as good as Breaking Bad and Mad Men, then there’s no way in hell it’s as going to be as good as Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

• Amanda says:

He isn’t comparing his show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men. What he said is that he thinks the show is going to be the Breaking Bad and Mad Men of the CW. Meaning he hopes that this show takes the CW to the level that BB and MM took AMC…

• Nat says:

I dunno, he didn’t mention AMC. It sounds like he was saying that he thinks The 100 will be at their level – he says “we’re going to take it to that [series names] level”. Which is not something I expect of a post-apocalyptic drama on The CW, if I’m being honest.

• Austin says:

I think Amanda has it right lol.

• greysfan says:

Yeah I agree with Amanda. I actually like the look of this show. It will be interesting to see which timeslot it takes midseason. It really could be the next big thing for CW but we have had shows like this before, Terra Nova is one that comes to mind. In saying this Isaiah can be pretty arrogant but I do hope it is as good as he is claiming

• Josh says:

Early reviews from comic-con already say it sucks so….

5. … I’m not going to expect it to be on par with MM or BB, but I’m still planning to watch it.

6. Maki says:

He is pretty arrogant. But the show looks really good, people shouldn’t think its a simple teenage drama the story ha real potential and a great cast.

7. nonniemb says:

Hahahaa, that’s hilarious.

8. damian says:

Sure it will! xD

9. liz says:

the concept of the show is really strong and if they wanted to, the show could be truly excellent. I hope its more ‘Lord of the Flies’ / Battle Royale than anything else. If they really dive into the narrative possibilities of power, war, politics, survival, etc and don’t focus 80% of the plot on young adult romances. If they do that, then the show will be great.
    The show can’t be ‘a romance in a dystopic future’ it needs to be ‘a dystopic future with interesting characters and politics plus a few romances’. A nice mix of BSG and Game of Thrones would be nice.

10. Dick Whitman says:

Good luck with that, Isaiah. Too bad people won’t watch that show as long as your homophobic ass is there.

11. Alexandre says:

Wow! How does he manage to do that?
    His ego filled up the whole room.

Even his castmates were feeling discomfort with that non-sense statement.
    yikes!

12. Superhero says:

LOL.

13. dude says:

That is a bold faced lie.

14. furbul says:

ahahaha no.

15. Drew says:

See, this is how it’s supposed to be done, Katherine Heigl. You’re supposed to look into the camera and completely lie the crap out of whatever you’re saying, in order to make whatever your selling sound way better than it is.

He didn’t necessarily do it well or convincingly, but I give the man credit for saying what he said with a straight face. Sadly, it lowers my expectations for the show though. The TVD reference was too far, man. And then throwing in Mad Men? Yikes!

16. The Kaibosh says:

On the CW? Umm….no.

17. Peter Wall says:

was going to watch this until i found this homophob was in it now will be boycotting this show

• ajintexas says:

Him being arrogant is enough reason to avoid it. He is entitled to feel whatever way he wants about gay people, white people, black people, whatever. At least he isn’t weak in the knees about his convictions and willing to change them to this skewed narrative we have in society today. His ego is what is killing his career because he just comes across with a superiority complex over everyone, not just gay people.

18. Brooke says:

The Big 4 networks can’t even give us something BB/MM quality (and I do love a lot of network tv). I doubt the CW is going to. Doesn’t mean it won’t be entertaining or fun or well done, but let’s not oversell ourselves here…

19. Kristina says:

I’ll probably check it out. Glad to see Isaiah Washington back on TV. Don’t know if this is going to be awesome, but several of the CW’s shows have surprised me, so I’m willing to give it a chance.

20. oo the 100 looks really good. the trailer looks good, will deffo check this show out when it starts

21. Sareeta says:

Let me put it this way: I don’t watch anything on the other networks now that Fringe is over. The only network that ever produces anything appealing is The CW. I’m excited for all the new CW shows, regardless of whether they are on the same level as Mad Men and Breaking Bad or simply entertaining. ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX try too hard to appeal to everyone while The CW understands who its target audience is for each show.

22. Lois says:

I was unlikely to watch this anyway even though I’ve been a big fan of CW shows in the past, but with Isaiah on it there’s not a chance in hell I’m watching it.

23. Mitholas says:

If I were a producer/writer/… on this show, he’d be getting a serious talking to just for even saying that it isn’t “just a sci-fi”, as that shows immense disrespect to the vast genre that is science fiction. Is there anything to irk fans more than people working on a show who clearly have no understanding of the genre they are in?

24. Greg says:

Shut up, Isaiah. You’re really comparing your show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men?

25. Kavyn says:

He has clearly never seen Mad Men or Breaking Bad if he’s making those sorts of comparisons.

26. tee says:

cw has the best shows i love all the teen drama

27. Kathy says:

Where was Henry Ian Cusick? He’s the reason I’ll be watching.

28. mattyc says:

I refuse to watch anything with Isaiah Washington. He lost my respect years ago.

29. Walt says:

Just saw a trailer about this show. Seems very similar to The Hunger Games.

30. I would give it a try if I knew what channel CW is.

31. Raven says:

Good start and Isiah might be arrogant, but he is a very talented actor and I hope the show does very well.