Fall TV Preview

Isaiah Washington: The 100 Will Take CW's Drama Brand to 'Mad Men, Breaking Bad' Heights

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Video

Isaiah Washington has high hopes for his new CW thriller The 100.

In an interview with TVLine at Comic-Con last month, the former Grey’s Anatomy actor predicted that the post-apocalyptic drama would usher in a prestigious new era for the network.

VIDEO | Watch The 100 Trailer Now

“The show is… taking the network to a different place that is maybe not what people are accustomed [to] watching on The CW,” Washington enthused. “The Vampire Diaries already opened up that door, but now with [exec producer] Jason Rothenberg we’re going to take it to that Mad Men and Breaking Bad level. It’s not just sci-fi.”

Press PLAY below to watch my interview with Washington (and several of his younger co-stars), and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Will you be giving The 100 a shot when it premieres at midseason?

Comments (63)

• That’s a pretty bold statement. I’ll be checking it out, so I hope they can deliver.

Comment by MrMank – August 9, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This guy is just arrogant and always has been. I won’t watch the show simply because he is on it, but I also doubt it will be any good anyway. There hasn’t been much recent scifi that I consider any good. Under The Dome isn’t bad but I found shows like Defiance to be pretty sub-par. I miss Star Trek and Stargate myself.

Comment by Chuck Finley – August 9, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with everything you’re saying, except that you Should really watch Orphan Black and see that there’s some really good sci fi out there…

Comment by noa – August 10, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I freaking LOVE Orphan Black!

Comment by jazzyt2u – August 10, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Vampire Diaries already opened up that door…”

Ummm, how about no?

Comment by Wouter – August 9, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um,yes…..they started doing alot of violent stuff on that show and it ushered Arrow and such into edgier territory.

Comment by Shaun – August 9, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • damn right shaun ! ^^

Comment by Mia – August 9, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How do you figure? Supernatural has been the most violent, goriest series on the CW ever. They were around before The Vampire Diaries. The Vampire Diaries looks like My Little Pony compared to Supernatural. And Arrow has nothing in common with TVD. At all.

And honestly, just saying that The Vampire Diaries has opened any sort of storytelling doors is a joke. Death means nothing on the show. Rape, murder, etc… none of it matters, because the people who do it are broody and have great hair. It’s fine as silly entertainment, but there is absolutely no way that it can be mistaken for anything resembling depth or quality.

Comment by Drew – August 9, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well said, Drew.The CW will always be the anmnoying luttle brother, forever in the shadow of his more popular and talented older siblings.

Comment by tripoli – August 9, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – August 9, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “How do you figure? Supernatural has been the most violent, goriest series on the CW ever.”

WTF !!! REALLY ????????? O_o

i’am shocked !!! I stopped Supernatural after 6 episodes .. ( 5 years ago …) it was really boring …

1 episode = 1 story ..

I’ll give him a second chance…

Comment by Mia – August 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I have seen every episode of both (for different reasons) and they’re nowhere near the same level of quality. TVD is like the Justin Beiber of TV shows, while Supernatural is Metallica. It just hits harder in every sense.

Comment by Drew – August 9, 2013 04:28 PM PDT
          • I don’t watch TVD. I don’t care about TVD. But dude – saying ANY tv show is “the Justin Bieber of TV shows” is just mean and uncalled for.

Comment by canadian ninja – August 9, 2013 05:02 PM PDT
          • canadian ninja, they literally had one of the main characters on the show raping a woman for months and it never even occurred to anyone that it was rape. Nobody cared. But then his brother killed her, so it’s all good… and these are the two male leads on the show, by the by.

The Bieber comment was generous. :)

Comment by Drew – August 9, 2013 09:04 PM PDT
        • So agree on this! Go Drew!

Comment by Josh – August 9, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Rape? Totally different show to the one I watch then. That show is just vacuous and pretty and almost nothing happens from month to month. Sometimes we get lucky and a bit of plot accidentally sneaks in.

Comment by Scott – August 9, 2013 11:08 PM PDT
          • Damon’s girlfriend, Andi (or whatever her name was) was only his girlfriend because he forced her to be. He took away her ability to say no and go away. This is rape.

Fortunately, Stefan put her out of her misery by having her kill herself.

Comment by Drew – August 10, 2013 08:41 AM PDT
          • Well Andi certainly wanted Damon and slept him with him of her own free will at the beginning. So she was more than willing to have a relationship with him Once he compelled her though… It does get a little iffy. The same with Caroline.

Comment by Janie – August 11, 2013 07:47 AM PDT
          • The moment he told her what type of person he was, she got (rightfully) scared and tried to leave. He didn’t let her. From that moment (which was very early in their relationship) what he did to her was rape and assault. Repeatedly. For months. It isn’t iffy, it is repulsive. And the fact that nobody cared or helped that woman is disgusting. Worse is the writers who ignored what this really was and the fans who went along with it.

Comment by Drew – August 11, 2013 08:50 AM PDT
      • Hahahahaha. Arrow as ‘edgier territory.’ Thanks for that, I needed a laugh.

Comment by Mitholas – August 10, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an arrogant man haha

Comment by Josh – August 9, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, first of all, it’s a pretty asinine thing to come out and compare your show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men and it’s a total turn-off to me. Second of all, I really doubt it’s that good. If you have to come out and tell people your show is as good as Breaking Bad and Mad Men, then there’s no way in hell it’s as going to be as good as Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 9, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He isn’t comparing his show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men. What he said is that he thinks the show is going to be the Breaking Bad and Mad Men of the CW. Meaning he hopes that this show takes the CW to the level that BB and MM took AMC…

Comment by Amanda – August 9, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno, he didn’t mention AMC. It sounds like he was saying that he thinks The 100 will be at their level – he says “we’re going to take it to that [series names] level”. Which is not something I expect of a post-apocalyptic drama on The CW, if I’m being honest.

Comment by Nat – August 9, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Amanda has it right lol.

Comment by Austin – August 9, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I agree with Amanda. I actually like the look of this show. It will be interesting to see which timeslot it takes midseason. It really could be the next big thing for CW but we have had shows like this before, Terra Nova is one that comes to mind. In saying this Isaiah can be pretty arrogant but I do hope it is as good as he is claiming

Comment by greysfan – August 9, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Early reviews from comic-con already say it sucks so….

Comment by Josh – August 9, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … I’m not going to expect it to be on par with MM or BB, but I’m still planning to watch it.

Comment by Taelor GitMunny Rye – August 9, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is pretty arrogant. But the show looks really good, people shouldn’t think its a simple teenage drama the story ha real potential and a great cast.

Comment by Maki – August 9, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahaa, that’s hilarious.

Comment by nonniemb – August 9, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure it will! xD

Comment by damian – August 9, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the concept of the show is really strong and if they wanted to, the show could be truly excellent. I hope its more ‘Lord of the Flies’ / Battle Royale than anything else. If they really dive into the narrative possibilities of power, war, politics, survival, etc and don’t focus 80% of the plot on young adult romances. If they do that, then the show will be great.
    The show can’t be ‘a romance in a dystopic future’ it needs to be ‘a dystopic future with interesting characters and politics plus a few romances’. A nice mix of BSG and Game of Thrones would be nice.

Comment by liz – August 9, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck with that, Isaiah. Too bad people won’t watch that show as long as your homophobic ass is there.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 9, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He lost his temper once and has worked hard to earn forgiveness. Give the guy a break why don’t ya?

Comment by katrina – August 9, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nah.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 9, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More like twice. On set in front of everybody and then stupidly backstage at the Golden Globes.

Comment by hipper – August 9, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He got his forgiveness for losing his temper and then said it again, completely calmly, proving himself to be a problem.

He’s a good actor but he’s absolutely a homophobe.

I hope none of the young men working on this show are gay.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – August 9, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Funny how in the Katherine Heigl post, the majority of the comments are still being rude about her. And I would consider her “crimes” much less worse than his.

Comment by Anna – August 9, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! How does he manage to do that?
    His ego filled up the whole room.

Even his castmates were feeling discomfort with that non-sense statement.
    yikes!

Comment by Alexandre – August 9, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL.

Comment by Superhero – August 9, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is a bold faced lie.

Comment by dude – August 9, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ahahaha no.

Comment by furbul – August 9, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See, this is how it’s supposed to be done, Katherine Heigl. You’re supposed to look into the camera and completely lie the crap out of whatever you’re saying, in order to make whatever your selling sound way better than it is.

He didn’t necessarily do it well or convincingly, but I give the man credit for saying what he said with a straight face. Sadly, it lowers my expectations for the show though. The TVD reference was too far, man. And then throwing in Mad Men? Yikes!

Comment by Drew – August 9, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the CW? Umm….no.

Comment by The Kaibosh – August 9, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • was going to watch this until i found this homophob was in it now will be boycotting this show

Comment by Peter Wall – August 9, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Him being arrogant is enough reason to avoid it. He is entitled to feel whatever way he wants about gay people, white people, black people, whatever. At least he isn’t weak in the knees about his convictions and willing to change them to this skewed narrative we have in society today. His ego is what is killing his career because he just comes across with a superiority complex over everyone, not just gay people.

Comment by ajintexas – August 9, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, don’t you just love it when people really feel entitled to their irrational hate?

Comment by Mitholas – August 10, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Big 4 networks can’t even give us something BB/MM quality (and I do love a lot of network tv). I doubt the CW is going to. Doesn’t mean it won’t be entertaining or fun or well done, but let’s not oversell ourselves here…

Comment by Brooke – August 9, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll probably check it out. Glad to see Isaiah Washington back on TV. Don’t know if this is going to be awesome, but several of the CW’s shows have surprised me, so I’m willing to give it a chance.

Comment by Kristina – August 9, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oo the 100 looks really good. the trailer looks good, will deffo check this show out when it starts

Comment by Chris (@durhampolska) – August 10, 2013 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me put it this way: I don’t watch anything on the other networks now that Fringe is over. The only network that ever produces anything appealing is The CW. I’m excited for all the new CW shows, regardless of whether they are on the same level as Mad Men and Breaking Bad or simply entertaining. ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX try too hard to appeal to everyone while The CW understands who its target audience is for each show.

Comment by Sareeta – August 10, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was unlikely to watch this anyway even though I’ve been a big fan of CW shows in the past, but with Isaiah on it there’s not a chance in hell I’m watching it.

Comment by Lois – August 10, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I were a producer/writer/… on this show, he’d be getting a serious talking to just for even saying that it isn’t “just a sci-fi”, as that shows immense disrespect to the vast genre that is science fiction. Is there anything to irk fans more than people working on a show who clearly have no understanding of the genre they are in?

Comment by Mitholas – August 10, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shut up, Isaiah. You’re really comparing your show to Breaking Bad and Mad Men?

Comment by Greg – August 10, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He has clearly never seen Mad Men or Breaking Bad if he’s making those sorts of comparisons.

Comment by Kavyn – August 10, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cw has the best shows i love all the teen drama

Comment by tee – August 11, 2013 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where was Henry Ian Cusick? He’s the reason I’ll be watching.

Comment by Kathy – August 12, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to watch anything with Isaiah Washington. He lost my respect years ago.

Comment by mattyc – August 12, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw a trailer about this show. Seems very similar to The Hunger Games.

Comment by Walt – August 19, 2013 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would give it a try if I knew what channel CW is.

Comment by Kathy Rhyno-Pinnell – August 19, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good start and Isiah might be arrogant, but he is a very talented actor and I hope the show does very well.

Comment by Raven – March 20, 2014 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post