TVLine Items: Alec Baldwin's Newsy TV Return, Breaking Bad's Kiddie Musical and More!

Alec Baldwin MSNBC SeriesAlec Baldwin may be returning to TV in a project most definitely not approved by the conservative Jack Donaghy.

The 30 Rock alum has teamed with MSNBC to develop a weekly news series, Mediaite reports.

The untitled show is slated to air Fridays at 10/9c and will feature “a large dose of Baldwin’s outspoken liberal politics.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Warning: The following video is so awesomely wrong, it’s right. As part of YouTube’s Geek Week, filmmakers Rhett and Link paid homage to Breaking Bad via their Middle School Musical video series. Press PLAY below to experience the Heisenberg-themed brilliance, bitch. (Sorry, we had to go there.)

• Lyndie Greenwood has lined up a spooky post-Nikita gig. The actress will recur in Fox’s new fall drama Sleepy Hollow, playing the sister of Nicole Beharie’s leading lady.

• Showtime has finally unveiled a lengthy preview of its racy new drama Masters of Sex, which bows Sept. 29. Watch Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan “master the art of impolite science” in the trailer below, then hit the comments with your snappy judgements.

VIDEO | Masters of Sex Season 1 Spoilers — Lizzy Caplan

• Erstwhile Gossip Girl loves Kelly Rutherford and Matthew Settle will star in Lifetime’s new thriller A Sister’s Nightmare, premiering Saturday, Sept. 7.

• Richard Short (666 Park Avenue) has booked a multi-ep arc on Covert Affairs, Deadline reports, playing an Irish rocker who finds himself entangled in Annie’s world.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Trailers and Promos, Video

1. Sam says:

Masters of Sex looks fantastic. I’m not sure how compatible it is with Homeland, but I hope it has many seasons ahead of it. Lizzy Caplan needs a break.

2. Malachi says:

Okay, “Breaking Bad: The Middle School Musical” is freaking hilarious. Warped, but hilarious.

3. HAP says:

Your take on the Baldwin story makes sense to me. Lawrence O’Donnell does not work on Fridays, and MSNBC sends everyone to jail early. (Apologies to Rachel). When I first saw word of this on Deadline, it appeared to imply Baldwin would be a nightly host.

4. Drew says:

I’m still baffled at the fact that people tolerate Alec Baldwin. He can pretty much say and do whatever he wants and nobody cares, but Mel Gibson, Paula Deen, Isaiah Washington or Katherine Heigl are branded for life (and I argue that Katherine Heigl’s comments were far less offensive. The Grey’s Anatomy writing was super crappy that year).

How does that work?

• Lauren says:

Katharine Heigl’s comments weren’t offensive so much as unprofessional (and true, I agree).

• Whatevah says:

Very true about Heigl! Can’t stand her. But Baldwin acts like a psycho and nobody seems to care or make him pay the price. It’s crazy that he gets rewarded for bad behavior

• Angela says:

Well, Mel Gibson abused his girlfriend, apparently, and he, Paula, and Isaiah all made some pretty offensive remarks about certain groups of people.
      That said, however, you are right that Alec isn’t exactly a saint, either (nasty phone message to his own daughter, anyone?). As for Katherine, yeah, lumping her in amongst those other people would be odd, her “offenses” were nowhere near the level of what other celebrities get away with.

• Drew says:

I put Heigl in there because she has the same “evil” brand as the others, regardless of the type of comment she made.

Baldwin uses slurs all the time. I don’t care if he’s an ass-butt to his daughter over the phone. He uses slurs toward people he doesn’t like. Unlike Gibson, it’s not the result of a mean drunk falling off the wagon (or creative editing of those tapes, which was obvious and why she went to the press and not a court). I don’t mean to sound like I’m excusing Gibson, but Baldwin talks that way to people when he’s (probably) sober and he never loses an endorsement deal or job offer.

It’s the Polanski Effect (copyright now by me, all rights reserved). He’s disgusting as a human being, but beloved in Hollywood, so they let it slide and keep piling on the praises. He’s probably not *as* bad as Polanski, but the same celebrity blind spot protects him.

• Lori says:

I don’t know why people give celebrities any kind of platform to speak from or judge them based on their personal life. Celebrities live in a different world then the rest of us do. They make more money and are constantly catered to so it’s inevitable that they will develop an ego but we should not boost that ego by listening to them! Plus, people never get the whole story and they are often too quick to judge! Look at Gibson; does he like Jews? My guess is no but he works in Hollywood which is run by Jews which means he’s probably been shafted by more than a few so why would he like them? I don’t count the girlfriend abuse because I don’t think that happened – I think his girlfriend did some creative editing and acting to get money out of him but that was Gibson’s stupidity in hooking up with a gold digger young enough to be his daughter and that’s not unheard of in unrealistic men of a certain age! Yes, Washington made a gay slur but let’s be honest and admit that most straight men are uncomfortable with the idea of guy on guy action. They love gay women and the concept of being the filler in that particular sandwich can put men into a haze of delight just thinking about it but gay men? Our society is too politically correct to admit it but there is a reason “not that there’s anything wrong with that” became such a classic line when it was uttered on Seinfeld! Deen is just ridiculous! She used the N word years ago and considered skin color as part of her color scheme and she’s a racist? It’s just crazy! And frankly, not very eye pleasing – I wish more people with tatoos would consider it! The girls on American Idol who have big colorful tats and wear demure evening gowns look ridiculous and they always clash! Heigl isn’t in the same category as the others; she’s naturally rude and incredibly crass and her comments about her show were unprofessional but her big issue these days is that her movies aren’t good and they aren’t making money! Heigl isn’t warm or likeable and she isn’t a leading lady and producers need to stop casting her as such. All of these people made mistakes but they are human and are shaped by their own experiences that we know nothing about. I don’t watch them for their personal lives or care about their political or personal opinions. In fact, the day I start thinking celebrities have a clue is the day I start being very worried about myself…

5. Whatever says:

The Breaking Bad Musical is fantastic !
    The kids did a great job.

6. Danielle H. says:

Masters of Sex look so awesome.. can’t wait!!!

7. Juan says:

Does anyone know the name of the song in the Masters of Sex trailer?

8. Lori says:

The Baldwin show looks horrible! I love Baldwin when he’s playing the clever, charming, somewhat egomaniacal leading man because he does it so well but I have no interest in seeing Baldwin be Baldwin!