Grey's Anatomy Romance Report: Who's Happy? Who's Sad? Who May Be Laughing Yet Mad?

Greys Anatomy RelationshipsThe road to romance for any Grey’s Anatomy pairing has never been an easy one, but at least two couples have a slice of bliss being served to them as Season 10 opens.

Veritably headlining what series creator Shonda Rhimes hopes to be a “lighter, funnier” cycle for the ABC drama are the titular Meredith and her husband Derek, whom she says “probably” have the most happiness ahead of them of anyone .

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Shonda Rhimes on Possible Exits of Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey

“Although with a new baby, [being] post-surgery and the sleep deprivation, I doubt it’s going to be all happiness,” she adds with a chuckle. Still, with the plane crash and ensuing legal/career drama behind them, and now a pair of beautiful children in their arms, don’t the marrieds pretty much have it all? “That depends on what your definition of ‘having it all’ is,” Rhimes notes. “And that’s sort of one of the things we’ll be exploring this season, for both of them.”

Rhimes also puts nascent lovebirds Alex and Jo in the “happy” camp, and with nary a caveat. “I want us to have fun with them” as they explore their new romance, Rhimes says. “Because they’re one of our happiest couples, Jo and Alex are playing our humor a lot, which is nice.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Sara Ramirez: Calzona’s ‘Back to Step 1′ After ‘Devastating’ Fight

On the flip side, Rhimes says that Callie and Arizona — in the wake of both the latter’s cheating and her unresolved amputation issues being outed — have the most work ahead of them, and a “definitely large amount,” at that.

“For them, there’s a lot going on…. There’s no, ‘In this episode, they’re going to get back together,'” the show boss warns. Instead, “We’re mapping out the characters and I’m seeing where that takes us, and it’s really interesting.” And also even a bit… funny? “I want this season to feel lighter and funnier for everybody, and even in Callie’s pain, it’s very funny,” Rhimes promises. “Its painful in a funny way as opposed to just dragging us down in misery.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy’s Kevin McKidd: Owen/Cristina ‘Might Spend a Lot of This Season Broken Up’

Placing second in the troubled waters contest are Cristina and Owen, who at season’s end bumped up against, and hard, their ongoing disagreement about having a family. But in revisiting the aftermath/that stalemate again, “We have some really good plans,” Rhimes says. “We’ve really talked about what’s different now and how things have changed, so I don’t feel like we’re planning to tread the same ground we’ve gone over before. We’re going in a different direction.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Grey’s Anatomy Scoop on Jackson/April, Arizona’s Lover and More

Want more scoop on Grey’s Anatomy, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. cas says:

I like Alex and Jo. Maybe this one will stick for him. Still liked Izzie better but that ship has sailed. So new ground for Owen and Cristina? Not repeating the same issues, I will believe it when I see it. Unless Owen realizes he is in his 40’s and doesn’t want to be in his 50’s raising a child, I don’t see why he would change his mind, or Cristina for that matter.

2. Mary Kate says:

Great scoop! But, what about Jackson and April?!

3. Ella says:

If Shonda is to be believed, I can live with these “romance reports.”

I was one who liked Alex and Jo–so I want that to be explored
    Meredith and Derek finally deserve some lasting happiness

4. t87 says:

Good scoop! But what about Webber??? Any word yet?

5. Romy says:

I still can’t get over the fact that ‘Jo’ is the Kate Middleton of the cheesy Lifetime William & Kate

6. tamy says:

don’t like alex and jo, I don’t like jo for me she’s just there like that alex doesn’t end up alone and I don’t know I’m not interested in her (and no I’m not an izzie alex fan) and Shonda knows what fun is?

I’m glad for merder <3 and what abou april & jackson?
    cristina & owen I think it's died because how they can change their mind about children seriously?!

for Callie & Arizona I liked them but Callie deserves better!

7. Jasmine says:

I feel that last season more about the interns!…and they took a lot of screen time for the main characters! I just don’t see why the interns should have more screen time than the MAIN characters and why we should even care about them I mean have interns but not where we see a whole full episode about them especially if this is the last season for some main characters!. See they don’t interest us we seen what the interns go through and seen them become Doctors already. They are just boring.

8. Lea says:

Meredith and Derek are the ones I care about so can’t wait to see them as Parents of two, as surgeons and trying to balancing it all.

• kate says:

me too!! I think they have a complicated road ahead of them, but im glad they have happiness in their future too :)

9. Elyse says:

I hate Arizona and the way she acts like losing her leg is the end of the world. I can’t handle watching another season of her awful storyline. ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON.

10. Burkey says:

Give me ALL the Alex/Jo things! So excited for them this season. Cautiously excited, but still excited.

11. Tav says:

Bring back Lauren Boswell for Arizona.

12. Sara says:

The Shepherds sounds so good. Loved that you referred to them like that. I think MerDer pretty much have it all, and can’t wait to see them balancing everything etc.. I think they’re the most realistic couple Greys. They don’t need cheating and the same issues for 5 season, I can relate to them so much. They had their share of drama and angst, love they got through everything now they’re married with two children, and dealing with whatever together. Can’t wait to watch them in season 10.

13. Karla says:

About Calzona, it seems that is going to be about what Callie feels, what Callie is going to do, what she wants etc… But I want to know more about Arizona, what she feels? what she is going to do? it’s going to be funny for her too? please Shonda! I want more Arizona’s perspective.

Cheers! :)

• A says:

I think it’s safe to say that after that after this season and especially after that finale, the amount of people who even care about Arizona’s perspective of things is quite small. She is currently one of the most hated characters on this show and rightfully so IMO.
      Also, with regards to it being funny, there are only three character currently left in the series that are really the comedic heart of the show–Callie, Cristina, and Bailey. Arizona has never been funny so I doubt it will be funny for her

• Sammy says:

Yeah the writers have kinda boxed Arizona in….she has come out looking very very bad….and it does not look like she is going to be redeemed anytime soon….
        Sara Ramirez has amazing comedic timing a lot like Sandra Oh…. Love them!

• A says:

Yeah, I am definitely looking forward to this supposedly funny tackle at their shattered relationship. Callie is hilarious and I can’t wait to see the funny drama she will bring to the show.
          I also hope they get us back to the old funny Bailey as well (even though she wasn’t as hilarious toward the end of last season). I still laugh whenever I remember the Booty Call Bailey scene. I think it’ll be some time though before that happens depending on what happens with Webber.

• trainwreck says:

I hope they bond over their despair like in past.. in season 4 when they both moved in together after burke left cristina and George cheated on callie… and then again in season 7 wjhen Cristina got PTSD and Arizona dumped Callie for Africa.. Fun times!

• A says:

That would be awesome. Remember the scene where Cristina cut Callie’s hair? Too funny!!

• Sammy says:

Yea Cristina and Callie feed off each other…. Though Sandra Oh can make anything funny, her expressions alone can have you rofl….
            But the whole Calzona story line sounds depressing so painfully funny, idk….
            Also did anyone get the impression last season that Greys was just going through the motions like it was such a lame season…. Sorry but overall it kinda dint click!

• A says:

@Sammy yeah it definitely wasn’t a great season. It felt like Shonda devoted all of her time to the final season of Private Practice and on the second season of Scandal that Grey’s was just pushed to the sideline

• Mo says:

@ A, But the way Shonda picturised the whole Arizona cheating…..I kinda feel that they are going to break up proper…. Coz never before in the history of Greys was ‘cheating’ ever picturised to make a character look so bad…. Even when Owen cheated it was a mistake and done when he was drunk…. George was drunk…. Derek was in love with Mer….
            Coz another season of Calzona just trying like S9… That’s just torture…. Also Callie going off and telling the whole hospital or anyone that will listen…. Ehm how do you come back from that…. The cheating and compound to that her big mouth….kinda see a major hint in what Shonda tweeted…. ‘I will be good to Callie. And good to Arizona’….she is not referring to them as Calzona anymore…..

• A says:

@Mo: yeah I get your point. If they make Callie mouth off to the whole hospital and be the angry woman that she will be, it will make it difficult for them to patch up the relationship. However, as I’ve personally never really thought they fit well together in the first place (they seemed more like sisters/BFFs rather than spouses/partners), I’m looking forward to seeing scorned Callie on an angry rampage. it’s going to be hilarious and awesome. And yes, Arizona’s cheating was probably the ugliest cheating ever portrayed on the show. There was so much cruelty and malice behind it that it made Arizona’s character more unlikeable than she already was.

14. Chloe says:

Er, what about Jackson and April? They’re pretty much the only reason why I started watching the show again.

15. Kelly says:

WHAT ABOUT JACKSON AND APRIL??? I need them together

16. Martin says:

If she goes back on her original plans and has Christina just decide she wants to have kids, I’ll be pissed. It’d be like a betrayal to the character, as Christina always stated she never wanted kids.

• Sam says:

I so agree! But by the sounds of it Crowen will get back together.
      ‘Cristina will bend by adopting an older kid’…. My predictions! :-)
      Or we will have Callie and Owen hooking up ;-) (haha sorry….no offence Calzona and Crowen fans)

17. Arla says:

I hate how japril seem to be shoved to the sidelines. If you’re talking about all the couples, acknowledge ALL the damn couples! Jo only joined last season, Jackson and April are starting their 5th season now, it should be about damn time!

• sarah says:

Jo joined last season but ALEX has been here from the beginning. He’s starting his 10th season. So take a seat, hon.

• Ashly says:

I agree. They get very little screen time and they are pretty much the only reason I watch. Hopefully, next season changes things.

18. megan says:

IN LOVE with Jo and Alex. Honestly didn’t think Alex could fall for anyone again. This relationship was a slow build but so so worth it. Looking forward to their progression.

19. A says:

Anyone else think that because she said it might be a “lighter, funnier cycle” that she may not kill off Webber? Although, it scares me to think what she will do to him if he does make it out alive.

20. Lullaby says:

Where is the Japril scoop? They are what I’m interested in after their cliff hanger. Who cares about Alex and some newbie with a million sob stories having laughs being corny? Not I. Give me Japril. Really, people.

21. Khaira says:

Bring Lauren back!!! It’ll be way more interesting. (a la mer/der/addison)
    Plus the chemistry between JCap and Burton is off the charts!!

22. Fernanda says:

Karev deserves a healthy relationship. I love Karev and Jo together. I hope he doesn’t cheat on her

23. Ashly says:

Surprised not to see any Jackson/April scoop. Hoping good things happen next season

24. Nancy says:

Is Shonda implying that you can’t work if you have kids? Funny because she does it. she has two kids and she works all the time..Meredith already has a lighter schedule when Zola came along, she has her kids IN the place where she works where she can visit them during the day. Not many parents get that luxury. Why can’t she have it all? Plenty of people are surgeons and have families. It’s not impossible

• sarah says:

I don’t see Shonda implying that at all. I see it as Shonda saying Meredith and Derek will have to find a balance between work and family.

25. Ali says:

There are only two reasons why I’m still watching (there used to be three, but for some lame reason, Eric Dane’s character was killed off.) So, the two reasons to stick around are Scotsman Kevin McKidd and Justin Chambers. Once they are killed off or leave, I’m done. I could give a hoot about Meredith, their kid and Derrek.

• trainwreck says:

Funny that you watch GREY’s anatomy :P

but yes i love Alex and Owen (well minus his baby crazed self) too!

26. Amanda says:

Jackson and April? More of them next season please.

27. juliana says:

JACKSON AND STEPHANIE!!!!

28. Bjohns says:

It would make sense anyway to balance out the Shepard Grey family since they were most of the drama of the earlier series. Time to focus on the other people’s happiness (Bailey and Ben getting married) or sadness (Arizona really? She amputates your leg to save your life so you sleep with someone else because you are mad she saved your life by taking your leg..what?). I think Owen will need a completely new person, no one left anyway. LOL. April I think will marry her fiancé. Jackson will change his mind too late. Jo will make a better man out of Alex. I like the competition too with the young ins Shane and Brooks dealing with medicine sometime you forget they are supposed to be working. Oh and where was Stephanie when April made her declaration? Is she still with Jackson or did I skip an episode or their thing was so weird anyway I blocked it out.

29. tamwood1 says:

Okaay, before I work on rewriting my comment, I need to make sure that its not going to be completely deleted again! My fault, I should have saved my work. Still, if you require people to log in to WordPress (if they don’t want to allow you access to their Facebook information), you shouldn’t lose their comments in the process.